Upvote Upvoted 6 Downvote Downvoted
New map pugs?
5 Frags +

I heard some talks that these once existed. Does anyone know if new map pugs still run? I figured the map rotation is getting a little stale and would like to help.

I heard some talks that these once existed. Does anyone know if new map pugs still run? I figured the map rotation is getting a little stale and would like to help.
3 Frags +

iirc, it died due to low traffic.

iirc, it died due to low traffic.
3 Frags +

I found the steam groups but neither of them had recent activity. I wonder how man people would be interested in doing this? I wouldn't have the capability to host servers etc, but im sure there would be someone who could. I can't be the only one who thinks this was a good idea

I found the steam groups but neither of them had recent activity. I wonder how man people would be interested in doing this? I wouldn't have the capability to host servers etc, but im sure there would be someone who could. I can't be the only one who thinks this was a good idea
1 Frags +

It would be really cool if we could make this happen. Going to snakewater 4 times a day is fun and all, but it gets old after a while.

It would be really cool if we could make this happen. Going to snakewater 4 times a day is fun and all, but it gets old after a while.
3 Frags +

I still have creator control over the New Map Weekends group, a 14 slot server, and a mumble from my T:A/Hawken/NS2 days that's starting to lose traffic (25 slots). Waxpax may not play TF2 anymore, but if anyone would like to restart the custom map pugs I can quickly and easily lay the foundation to get them started again. I can scour TF2maps for maps that look interesting/have potential to build a map pool as well.

I still have creator control over the [url=steamcommunity.com/groups/newmapweekends]New Map Weekends[/url] group, a 14 slot server, and a mumble from my T:A/Hawken/NS2 days that's starting to lose traffic (25 slots). Waxpax may not play TF2 anymore, but if anyone would like to restart the custom map pugs I can quickly and easily lay the foundation to get them started again. I can scour TF2maps for maps that look interesting/have potential to build a map pool as well.
0 Frags +

Im not sure if I'd be "the guy" to run it. Not sure how long I'd be able to do it for either, but if some people show interest you can add me and ill help organize.

Im not sure if I'd be "the guy" to run it. Not sure how long I'd be able to do it for either, but if some people show interest you can add me and ill help organize.
0 Frags +
gr8stalinI can scour TF2maps for maps that look interesting/have potential to build a map pool as well.

Don't do this. There are only a small handful of maps with 6s play in mind that are actively in development. It would be a lot better to take suggestions from people who follow that stuff.

[quote=gr8stalin]I can scour TF2maps for maps that look interesting/have potential to build a map pool as well.[/quote]
Don't do this. There are only a small handful of maps with 6s play in mind that are actively in development. It would be a lot better to take suggestions from people who follow that stuff.
8 Frags +

New map weekends were fun to play, but the only people that played in them that were about mid open that played within the last month were myself and b4nny (who played once and his internet crashed half way through if that matters)
Walka helped test edifce by actually doing things that would be terrible to play agaisnt and helped the map improve (heavy was stupidly overpowered originally.)
Basically what this terrible paragraph is trying to say is
A. We need people that are in IM and above to actually play custom maps made for comp tf2
B.to play gay when it comes to off classing (might of been the cause to cp_ashville and the new map pug's 'offclass rules')
On a plus note, Invite pugs have been playing custom maps so go them

New map weekends were fun to play, but the only people that played in them that were about mid open that played within the last month were myself and b4nny (who played once and his internet crashed half way through if that matters)
Walka helped test edifce by actually doing things that would be terrible to play agaisnt and helped the map improve (heavy was stupidly overpowered originally.)
A. We need people that are in IM and above to actually play custom maps made for comp tf2
B.to play gay when it comes to off classing (might of been the cause to cp_ashville and the new map pug's 'offclass rules')
0 Frags +

I'm definitely not IM level, but do you think there would be people willing to test this out if it was set up? Even if I was going to play, I would still like to contribute.

I'm definitely not IM level, but do you think there would be people willing to test this out if it was set up? Even if I was going to play, I would still like to contribute.
3 Frags +

Im personally completely fine with having people that want to play maps, play them. But there are people that played pugs that Don't even know how to play maps like badlands and gullywash, not saying that people in open don't know how to play maps, I'm saying people with experience in the game at a somewhat high level should play new maps to give valid opions to make the maps on par or even better than/with the ones in the rotation
Wow iphones make my posts look small

Im personally completely fine with having people that want to play maps, play them. But there are people that played pugs that Don't even know how to play maps like badlands and gullywash, not saying that people in open don't know how to play maps, I'm saying people with experience in the game at a somewhat high level should play new maps to give valid opions to make the maps on par or even better than/with the ones in the rotation
0 Frags +

I totally agree. Even with my in-house pug group, there's always someone who offclasses when they shouldn't. It just might take a bunch of dedicated, mature people. (i know you're out there!) Do you think restarting these would be beneficial, mangachu?

I totally agree. Even with my in-house pug group, there's always someone who offclasses when they shouldn't. It just might take a bunch of dedicated, mature people. (i know you're out there!) Do you think restarting these would be beneficial, mangachu?
2 Frags +

like mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they died

like mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they died
3 Frags +

Depends on if people show up, its the only way to find out really

Depends on if people show up, its the only way to find out really
2 Frags +

I'd be down to play new map pugs

I'd be down to play new map pugs
0 Frags +
MangachuA. We need people that are in IM and above to actually play custom maps made for comp tf2

The problem with this is player willingness. I was able to count on one and a half hands how many IM+ players actually came to play NMWs when we started to get the ball rolling. There's no drive for anyone higher on the echelon to play outside of "get more good maps into ESEA rotation". Even during off-season people weren't too keen on playing because let's face it - wouldn't you want to play something else besides TF2 after working/scrimming with your team for a while? Even if you wanted to pug on a custom map, would you really have an enjoyable time playing with the majority of volunteers who are on a lower skill echelon?

Going back to your original point, the achille's heel of getting higher skilled players to play in a semi-public (in the fact that it's generally people from gotfrag/tf.tv) custom map pug is that there will be an overwhelming majority of lower level volunteers who actually want to play in comparison. I don't really remember anyone so terribly new that playing on vanilla/vanilla-like maps like cp_quake_badlands was difficult for them outside of that Musikal kid (may he never EVER return), however. I'm not sure how things went after I got the boot from PS and did other things for a while, though, so if you have any juicy details on problems that came up in the future of the pugs and the spin-off group fill me in.

[quote=Mangachu]A. We need people that are in IM and above to actually play custom maps made for comp tf2
B.to play gay when it comes to off classing (might of been the cause to cp_ashville and the new map pug's 'offclass rules')[/quote]

The problem with this is player willingness. I was able to count on one and a half hands how many IM+ players actually came to play NMWs when we started to get the ball rolling. There's no drive for anyone higher on the echelon to play outside of "get more good maps into ESEA rotation". Even during off-season people weren't too keen on playing because let's face it - wouldn't you want to play something else besides TF2 after working/scrimming with your team for a while? Even if you wanted to pug on a custom map, would you really have an enjoyable time playing with the majority of volunteers who are on a lower skill echelon?

Going back to your original point, the achille's heel of getting higher skilled players to play in a semi-public (in the fact that it's generally people from gotfrag/tf.tv) custom map pug is that there will be an overwhelming majority of lower level volunteers who actually want to play in comparison. I don't really remember anyone so terribly new that playing on vanilla/vanilla-like maps like cp_quake_badlands was difficult for them outside of that Musikal kid (may he never EVER return), however. I'm not sure how things went after I got the boot from PS and did other things for a while, though, so if you have any juicy details on problems that came up in the future of the pugs and the spin-off group fill me in.
2 Frags +

For the IM plus thing i was talking about the second pug group, the off classing thing was more of a hidden complaint about me getting banned from the first group due to offclassing on a shit koth map, but still is a good point, and I was well aware of the ratio between lower level players and higher, but when the ratio is 20:1/2(new pug group) its kind of disapointing, whats even more upseting is to see people bitch and complain about maps then do literally nothing about it

For the IM plus thing i was talking about the second pug group, the off classing thing was more of a hidden complaint about me getting banned from the first group due to offclassing on a shit koth map, but still is a good point, and I was well aware of the ratio between lower level players and higher, but when the ratio is 20:1/2(new pug group) its kind of disapointing, whats even more upseting is to see people bitch and complain about maps then do literally nothing about it
0 Frags +
alfunksolike mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they died

No one showed up one night. After talking with Mangachu about the reasons listed, I figured it was best to just stop.

I'd be willing to run them again, assuming people actually show up. Maybe to get in the group you have to prove you can play a map like Badlands first (unless an IM or Invite player knows them and can vouch for them, or they are fairly known in the community already as someone who can play). I don't know how well this idea would work in practice, but on paper it seems like it would filter out people who need a little more time in Newbie Mixes from people who can play 6s.

Also, if I bring them back, the offclassing rule will be removed. In fact, I will encourage offclassing. PLEASE offclass when testing new maps as much as possible. We need to find ALL issues with a map, not just the ones that are noticed in standard play. Not sure how to handle 3+ offclasses though; while it would most likely be considered trolling, the offclassing combination may be viable; if it's too powerful, nerf it. It might kill the pugs, but we may have made a map better in the process.

Kinda went on a tangent there, but I'd love to see new map pugs revived. I think my propositions would help solve some of the issues that plagued both the original and the new groups.

Now, to actually find out how to get people to play...

[quote=alfunkso]like mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they died[/quote]
No one showed up one night. After talking with Mangachu about the reasons listed, I figured it was best to just stop.

I'd be willing to run them again, assuming people actually show up. Maybe to get in the group you have to prove you can play a map like Badlands first (unless an IM or Invite player knows them and can vouch for them, or they are fairly known in the community already as someone who can play). I don't know how well this idea would work in practice, but on paper it seems like it would filter out people who need a little more time in Newbie Mixes from people who can play 6s.

Also, if I bring them back, the offclassing rule will be removed. In fact, I will encourage offclassing. PLEASE offclass when testing new maps as much as possible. We need to find ALL issues with a map, not just the ones that are noticed in standard play. Not sure how to handle 3+ offclasses though; while it would most likely be considered trolling, the offclassing combination may be viable; if it's too powerful, nerf it. It might kill the pugs, but we may have made a map better in the process.

Kinda went on a tangent there, but I'd love to see new map pugs revived. I think my propositions would help solve some of the issues that plagued both the original and the new groups.

3 Frags +

if you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.

if you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.
4 Frags +
bscif you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.

good luck with that

[quote=bsc]if you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.[/quote]
good luck with that
1 Frags +

Im not even on a team, but I play medic. I understand how the game works fairly well. The reason this appeals to me is because as a spectator of the game, I would enjoy seeing some new maps. Even a group of people analyzing the map would be beneficial towards the goal of a good comp map.

Im not even on a team, but I play medic. I understand how the game works fairly well. The reason this appeals to me is because as a spectator of the game, I would enjoy seeing some new maps. Even a group of people analyzing the map would be beneficial towards the goal of a good comp map.
1 Frags +

I`m no IM or invite but I think i have a pretty good understanding of the game and i would love to help out with improving and adding new maps into the map pool. I feel like this is an important factor that we need to have in order to keep the game fresh and new. If i owned a server and a mumble i`d be happy to host these pugs.

Thats just my 2-cents. If a pug group exists that tests new maps then please please please make a post or something because i want to help out.

I`m no IM or invite but I think i have a pretty good understanding of the game and i would love to help out with improving and adding new maps into the map pool. I feel like this is an important factor that we need to have in order to keep the game fresh and new. If i owned a server and a mumble i`d be happy to host these pugs.

Thats just my 2-cents. If a pug group exists that tests new maps then please please please make a post or something because i want to help out.
0 Frags +
MangachuIm personally completely fine with having people that want to play maps, play them. But there are people that played pugs that Don't even know how to play maps like badlands and gullywash, not saying that people in open don't know how to play maps, I'm saying people with experience in the game at a somewhat high level should play new maps to give valid opions to make the maps on par or even better than/with the ones in the rotation

pretty much

hookyalfunksolike mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they diedNo one showed up one night. After talking with Mangachu about the reasons listed, I figured it was best to just stop.

I'd be down to do new map pugs again

[quote=Mangachu]Im personally completely fine with having people that want to play maps, play them. But there are people that played pugs that Don't even know how to play maps like badlands and gullywash, not saying that people in open don't know how to play maps, I'm saying people with experience in the game at a somewhat high level should play new maps to give valid opions to make the maps on par or even better than/with the ones in the rotation
Wow iphones make my posts look small[/quote]
pretty much

[quote=hooky][quote=alfunkso]like mangachu said, we hosted new map pugs for a while and did plenty of testing of cp_edifice and other maps. I think it was beneficial to have them, I don't really remember why they died[/quote]

Now, to actually find out how to get people to play...[/quote]
I'd be down to do new map pugs again
1 Frags +
MangachuNew map weekends were fun to play, but the only people that played in them that were about mid open that played within the last month were myself and b4nny (who played once and his internet crashed half way through if that matters)

just saying, several people that played new map pugs back in the day are now high IM-invite

[quote=Mangachu]New map weekends were fun to play, but the only people that played in them that were about mid open that played within the last month were myself and b4nny (who played once and his internet crashed half way through if that matters)
On a plus note, Invite pugs have been playing custom maps so go them[/quote]
just saying, several people that played new map pugs back in the day are now high IM-invite
0 Frags +

I'd be down to play some. Hmu

I'd be down to play some. Hmu
0 Frags +
hookybscif you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.good luck with that

host new map tournaments if youre a map maker

[quote=hooky][quote=bsc]if you want to test maps, have actual teams scrim them, not pug groups.[/quote]
good luck with that[/quote]

host new map tournaments if youre a map maker
0 Frags +

So would people be interested in starting them up again? It seems to me that many people show interest. Maybe we could start some this weekend. Or would that be too early. By the way, how many comp maps are in development at the moment. Because with no maps to play test, the pugs would be rendered useless.

So would people be interested in starting them up again? It seems to me that many people show interest. Maybe we could start some this weekend. Or would that be too early. By the way, how many comp maps are in development at the moment. Because with no maps to play test, the pugs would be rendered useless.
0 Frags +

I'd like to play some new maps. Particularly the ones from the 72 hour competition as some of them have potential.

I'd like to play some new maps. Particularly the ones from the 72 hour competition as some of them have potential.
1 Frags +

yeah there were like 3 pretty good 5cps from the 72hr thing that might be good. they were made in 3 days though so.... id be willing to play or run these as well as i am admin @ tf2maps and can maybe help relay stuff to mappers or something???

yeah there were like 3 pretty good 5cps from the 72hr thing that might be good. they were made in 3 days though so.... id be willing to play or run these as well as i am admin @ tf2maps and can maybe help relay stuff to mappers or something???
2 Frags +

Maybe TF2Maps should sponsor them?

Maybe TF2Maps should sponsor them?
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.