Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
dx8 issues with water
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

http://puu.sh/49RgV.jpg

Just recently switched to dx81 and i'm really liking it for the most part but this missing texture thing with water on a bunch of maps is annoying me. Is there any solutions to this?

[img]http://puu.sh/49RgV.jpg[/img]

Just recently switched to dx81 and i'm really liking it for the most part but this missing texture thing with water on a bunch of maps is annoying me. Is there any solutions to this?
-2 Frags +

Restart the game?

I've only seen it when I alt+tab

Restart the game?

I've only seen it when I alt+tab
1 Frags +

My CS:S always have that error

My CS:S always have that error
0 Frags +

Tried restarting it like 2 or 3 times, I think it might be a command from my fps config but i'm not sure what it'd be.

Tried restarting it like 2 or 3 times, I think it might be a command from my fps config but i'm not sure what it'd be.
5 Frags +

That only happens to me on jump maps. It's fine on maps like freight.

That only happens to me on jump maps. It's fine on maps like freight.
2 Frags +

yep, only happens on jump maps, can confirm

yep, only happens on jump maps, can confirm
0 Frags +

Ah alright, guess i'll just have to deal with it on those maps. Would be nice to find a solution for it.

Ah alright, guess i'll just have to deal with it on those maps. Would be nice to find a solution for it.
1 Frags +

I run dx81 and it makes water just have a solid black texture.. is there a way to fix it?

I run dx81 and it makes water just have a solid black texture.. is there a way to fix it?
-1 Frags +

Textures are missing in the map, nothing to do with DX8.

Textures are missing in the map, nothing to do with DX8.
SizzlingStats
4 Frags +

No textures are missing, just reflection cubemaps for the water. The map maker needs to add an env_cubemap for each water surface and generate the corresponding cubemaps for it.

Or it's also possible that the mapper did add an env_cubemap for each water surface, but forgot to generate them. In that case, you can try opening up the map on a local server and typing 'buildcubemaps' in console.

No textures are missing, just reflection cubemaps for the water. The map maker needs to add an env_cubemap for each water surface and generate the corresponding cubemaps for it.

Or it's also possible that the mapper did add an env_cubemap for each water surface, but forgot to generate them. In that case, you can try opening up the map on a local server and typing 'buildcubemaps' in console.
1 Frags +

Note that if you run buildcubemaps you will be unable to play the map on servers which haven't done so.

Note that if you run buildcubemaps you will be unable to play the map on servers which haven't done so.
SizzlingStats
0 Frags +
wareyaNote that if you run buildcubemaps you will be unable to play the map on servers which haven't done so.

Good catch, in that case, I think there's a command to disable the water reflections. Check out the r_water* set of console commands.

[quote=wareya]Note that if you run buildcubemaps you will be unable to play the map on servers which haven't done so.[/quote]

Good catch, in that case, I think there's a command to disable the water reflections. Check out the r_water* set of console commands.
0 Frags +
SizzlingCalamariNo textures are missing, just reflection cubemaps for the water. The map maker needs to add an env_cubemap for each water surface and generate the corresponding cubemaps for it.

In my opinion it's really not worth it to try to buildcubemaps because you won't be able to play this map on public jump servers (you'll get a "your map differs from the server's" error).
If you want to do this anyway, keep in mind that you first have to type mat_specular 0 into console so you don't bake the purple and black missing reflection texture into your cubemaps.

[quote=SizzlingCalamari]No textures are missing, just reflection cubemaps for the water. The map maker needs to add an env_cubemap for each water surface and generate the corresponding cubemaps for it.

Or it's also possible that the mapper did add an env_cubemap for each water surface, but forgot to generate them. In that case, you can try opening up the map on a local server and typing 'buildcubemaps' in console.[/quote]

In my opinion it's really not worth it to try to buildcubemaps because you won't be able to play this map on public jump servers (you'll get a "your map differs from the server's" error).
If you want to do this anyway, keep in mind that you first have to type mat_specular 0 into console so you don't bake the purple and black missing reflection texture into your cubemaps.
0 Frags +

I guess I could make copies of the map for offline play with different names

something like jump_quba_off

Since I use aliases for all the maps that I play a lot it would not be too hard to do it.

I guess I could make copies of the map for offline play with different names

something like jump_quba_off

Since I use aliases for all the maps that I play a lot it would not be too hard to do it.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.