Upvote Upvoted 23 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3
Stream performance research redux
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

is it normal to get higher fps in a norberdered window then in full screen? i had like constant 200 and i usually get like 90-130 :3

is it normal to get higher fps in a norberdered window then in full screen? i had like constant 200 and i usually get like 90-130 :3
0 Frags +
hookyIt's a planned feature.

Nice

We cast TF2 directly from the match servers down these ways so its a must for me to use it for coverage

[quote=hooky]It's a planned feature.[/quote]

Nice

We cast TF2 directly from the match servers down these ways so its a must for me to use it for coverage
0 Frags +

Could you not just ask John to enable delay on your channel?

Could you not just ask John to enable delay on your channel?
Twitch
1 Frags +

Tried OBS, in love.

Tried OBS, in love.
huds.tf
0 Frags +

I wonder if anyone here can help me out, as help over at OBS is pretty scarce.

As soon as I start trying to play, I get disconnected from my stream. I could sit in the in-game menu for hours and the stream would be fine. As soon as I even try to play, it'll disconnect me without even trying.

Any ideas?

I wonder if anyone here can help me out, as help over at OBS is pretty scarce.

As soon as I start trying to play, I get disconnected from my stream. I could sit in the in-game menu for hours and the stream would be fine. As soon as I even try to play, it'll disconnect me without even trying.

Any ideas?
0 Frags +

this is amazing, it lets me stream on a dual core old computer. and also performs way better with aero.

this is amazing, it lets me stream on a dual core old computer. and also performs way better with aero.
0 Frags +

i get mouse lag whenever i stream, any way to fix this?

i get mouse lag whenever i stream, any way to fix this?
0 Frags +

Reduce send buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)

Reduce send buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)
0 Frags +

performance likely varies a lot based on hardware. i didnt do measurements, but desktop capture was unbearable with aero on/off in tf2 when I tried.

i5 2nd gen/560ti/8gig ram

performance likely varies a lot based on hardware. i didnt do measurements, but desktop capture was unbearable with aero on/off in tf2 when I tried.

i5 2nd gen/560ti/8gig ram
0 Frags +
atmodid switching to OBS capture solve your problem here Lange? http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64

I only tested it for a little bit, but using OBS's screen capture did seem to alleviate the input lag problems I was having. I still need to play with it more though and see how it feels in a 6v6.

As far as I can tell this input lag is a strange problem specific to me, so you guys shouldn't worry about it.[/quote]
I have the same issue with every streaming tool, and it's mostly lag from mouse movements, keyboard input seems a bit better.

[quote=atmo]did switching to OBS capture solve your problem here Lange? http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64[/quote]

I only tested it for a little bit, but using OBS's screen capture did seem to alleviate the input lag problems I was having. I still need to play with it more though and see how it feels in a 6v6.

As far as I can tell this input lag is a strange problem specific to me, so you guys shouldn't worry about it.[/quote]
I have the same issue with every streaming tool, and it's mostly lag from mouse movements, keyboard input seems a bit better.
0 Frags +

is there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?

is there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?
1 Frags +
ghos7ayamais there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?

Still need to use Dxtory for that at the moment, but Jim (the developer of OBS) is very close to having his own fullscreen capture solution ready for an upcoming release of OBS. I can't speak for him but from what I've heard it would be safe to expect that to be released within the month.

[quote=ghos7ayama]is there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?[/quote]

Still need to use Dxtory for that at the moment, but Jim (the developer of OBS) is very close to having his own fullscreen capture solution ready for an upcoming release of OBS. I can't speak for him but from what I've heard it would be safe to expect that to be released within the month.
0 Frags +

Can someone who has that mouse input lag problem tell me if the lowering your send buffer size to the 4096 helps? That was my solution to the problem.

Can someone who has that mouse input lag problem tell me if the lowering your send buffer size to the 4096 helps? That was my solution to the problem.
0 Frags +
Langeghos7ayamais there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

[quote=Lange][quote=ghos7ayama]is there anyway to capture fullscreen games right now or is it not added yet?[/quote]

Still need to use Dxtory for that at the moment, but Jim (the developer of OBS) is very close to having his own fullscreen capture solution ready for an upcoming release of OBS. I can't speak for him but from what I've heard it would be safe to expect that to be released within the month.[/quote]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs[/youtube]
0 Frags +

OBS seems to crash frequently when previewing the stream or even going live. I'm not sure why but I am going to try re-installing and resetting my settings.

OBS seems to crash frequently when previewing the stream or even going live. I'm not sure why but I am going to try re-installing and resetting my settings.
0 Frags +
shlanerOBS seems to crash frequently when previewing the stream or even going live. I'm not sure why but I am going to try re-installing and resetting my settings.

That happens to me too. Disabling the preview window may eliminate the crashing for now until it gets fixed. TBH though I just kind of deal with it. The program launches in about half a second so its not too frustrating.

[quote=shlaner]OBS seems to crash frequently when previewing the stream or even going live. I'm not sure why but I am going to try re-installing and resetting my settings.[/quote]

That happens to me too. Disabling the preview window may eliminate the crashing for now until it gets fixed. TBH though I just kind of deal with it. The program launches in about half a second so its not too frustrating.
0 Frags +
LangeReduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)

Buffer side or send buffer size?

[quote=Lange]Reduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)[/quote]
Buffer side or send buffer size?
0 Frags +
frknLangeReduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)Buffer side or send buffer size?

Send buffer size, sorry.

[quote=frkn][quote=Lange]Reduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)[/quote]
Buffer side or send buffer size?[/quote]

Send buffer size, sorry.
0 Frags +
LangefrknLangeReduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)Buffer side or send buffer size?
Send buffer size, sorry.

tried that and according to people watching my stream was freezing a lot
edit: just video, audio was fine

[quote=Lange][quote=frkn][quote=Lange]Reduce buffer size to lowest value (4096 if memory serves)[/quote]
Buffer side or send buffer size?[/quote]

Send buffer size, sorry.[/quote]
tried that and according to people watching my stream was freezing a lot
edit: just video, audio was fine
0 Frags +

Right now, I do casual casting but not streaming, crappy internet. I am currently using Dxtory to record my casts. Would OBS be a good alternative even if I don't stream. Also, would you recommend launching TF2 in windowed or fullscreen mode for recording games. Thanks in advance.

Right now, I do casual casting but not streaming, crappy internet. I am currently using Dxtory to record my casts. Would OBS be a good alternative even if I don't stream. Also, would you recommend launching TF2 in windowed or fullscreen mode for recording games. Thanks in advance.
0 Frags +

I tried this out last night, and loved it. My in game FPS almost doubled, and my stream (once I worked the kinks out) looked a lot smoother.

Here's what I found:

-Using their version of Screen Region for TF2 caused a massive stream FPS drop. I'm not sure why, but my stream hovered around 15fps instead of the 30 I had it set to. using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30, and did not affect my ingame FPS at all. I'm not sure why OBS couldn't handle my screen region.

-If you're layering something on top of your game footage, such as a webcam, a smaller screen region, an image, etc, know that the program is currently backwards. The "top" layer is actually the bottom. If you have a webcam, and you select "Move to top" it will actually put it BEHIND your game footage. This actually had me thinking that my webcame wasn't working.

-The stream bitrate doesn't seem to be variable. In Xsplit, you could set it high on the off chance that your stream would spike to that rate (however unlikely). OBS will try to use that rate regardless of whether it needs to or not. I usually had my rate set to 3500 in Xsplit, but that was causing some video issues for people who had connections or computers that couldn't keep up. A rate of 2000-2500 is plenty for a 720p stream.

Hopefully this will help a few people who are running into the same issues that I had.

I tried this out last night, and loved it. My in game FPS almost doubled, and my stream (once I worked the kinks out) looked a lot smoother.

Here's what I found:

-Using their version of Screen Region for TF2 caused a massive stream FPS drop. I'm not sure why, but my stream hovered around 15fps instead of the 30 I had it set to. using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30, and did not affect my ingame FPS at all. I'm not sure why OBS couldn't handle my screen region.

-If you're layering something on top of your game footage, such as a webcam, a smaller screen region, an image, etc, know that the program is currently backwards. The "top" layer is actually the bottom. If you have a webcam, and you select "Move to top" it will actually put it BEHIND your game footage. This actually had me thinking that my webcame wasn't working.

-The stream bitrate doesn't seem to be variable. In Xsplit, you could set it high on the off chance that your stream would spike to that rate (however unlikely). OBS will try to use that rate regardless of whether it needs to or not. I usually had my rate set to 3500 in Xsplit, but that was causing some video issues for people who had connections or computers that couldn't keep up. A rate of 2000-2500 is plenty for a 720p stream.

Hopefully this will help a few people who are running into the same issues that I had.
0 Frags +
yellowstoneRight now, I do casual casting but not streaming, crappy internet. I am currently using Dxtory to record my casts. Would OBS be a good alternative even if I don't stream. Also, would you recommend launching TF2 in windowed or fullscreen mode for recording games. Thanks in advance.

Honestly unless you plan to add overlays or something, its six of one half a dozen of the other. Either way you go is fine.

I always recommend windowed for any kind of recording/streaming.

[quote=yellowstone]Right now, I do casual casting but not streaming, crappy internet. I am currently using Dxtory to record my casts. Would OBS be a good alternative even if I don't stream. Also, would you recommend launching TF2 in windowed or fullscreen mode for recording games. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Honestly unless you plan to add overlays or something, its six of one half a dozen of the other. Either way you go is fine.

I always recommend windowed for any kind of recording/streaming.
0 Frags +
Anthal-Using their version of Screen Region for TF2 caused a massive stream FPS drop. I'm not sure why, but my stream hovered around 15fps instead of the 30 I had it set to. using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30, and did not affect my ingame FPS at all. I'm not sure why OBS couldn't handle my screen region.

I'm confused by the bit where you say "using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30". It's not clear to me what program/capture method you're talking about.

[quote=Anthal]-Using their version of Screen Region for TF2 caused a massive stream FPS drop. I'm not sure why, but my stream hovered around 15fps instead of the 30 I had it set to. using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30, and did not affect my ingame FPS at all. I'm not sure why OBS couldn't handle my screen region.[/quote]

I'm confused by the bit where you say "using their program capture bumped the stream FPS to 30". It's not clear to me what program/capture method you're talking about.
0 Frags +

I think they're talking about OBS's software CS in Monitor Sub-Region capture vs. Window capture

I think they're talking about OBS's software CS in Monitor Sub-Region capture vs. Window capture
0 Frags +

So I've been afraid of turning on Aero because of the v-sync...

Today I decided to turn it on to see if it helped my ping problems.

IT WORKED SOMEHOW. Now I can stream at 600p 50fps: http://www.twitch.tv/hookyboysb/b/336181086

I'm getting a lot of local lag though, and that's probably the vsync.

So I've been afraid of turning on Aero because of the v-sync...

Today I decided to turn it on to see if it helped my ping problems.

IT WORKED SOMEHOW. Now I can stream at 600p 50fps: http://www.twitch.tv/hookyboysb/b/336181086

I'm getting a lot of local lag though, and that's probably the vsync.
0 Frags +

I tried OBS out today and I kept getting this weird error. Something to do with the vertex and pixel shader.

I entered my stream key, used the settings you used just as a test, and put in my global sources. Not sure what else I need to do.

I tried OBS out today and I kept getting this weird error. Something to do with the vertex and pixel shader.

I entered my stream key, used the settings you used just as a test, and put in my global sources. Not sure what else I need to do.
0 Frags +

So far OBS has been super easy to use, I like it a lot more than xsplit. And L-Block, I have no idea what could be wrong with how you set it up :\

So far OBS has been super easy to use, I like it a lot more than xsplit. And L-Block, I have no idea what could be wrong with how you set it up :\
0 Frags +

Updated the wording of the OP to be a little more accurate.

Added new Caveat explaining that Window Capture and Monitor Capture are not the same thing in OBS, and that while having Aero on may improve performance with Window Capture, it can reduce performance with Monitor Capture.

L-blockI tried OBS out today and I kept getting this weird error. Something to do with the vertex and pixel shader.

Your video card may not support OBS. Are you on Windows Vista/7 with a DirectX 10 video card? Drivers and VC++ Redist up-to-date?

Updated the wording of the OP to be a little more accurate.

Added new Caveat explaining that Window Capture and Monitor Capture are not the same thing in OBS, and that while having Aero on may improve performance with Window Capture, it can reduce performance with Monitor Capture.

[quote=L-block]I tried OBS out today and I kept getting this weird error. Something to do with the vertex and pixel shader.

I entered my stream key, used the settings you used just as a test, and put in my global sources. Not sure what else I need to do.[/quote]

Your video card may not support OBS. Are you on Windows Vista/7 with a DirectX 10 video card? Drivers and [url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679]VC++ Redist[/url] up-to-date?
0 Frags +

http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=881#p881

Game capture is almost finished

http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=881#p881

Game capture is almost finished
0 Frags +

It's done but it has some issues with X-COM. Also the full screen game capture will only take DX9 due to the lack of documentation of DX8. It'll be implemented later when Jim can find it and decides to implement it.

edit - from a test of it, i get 109fps max. This is a test build after all but yeah.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproject/files/test%20versions/graphics_capture_test1_32bit.zip/download

It's done but it has some issues with X-COM. Also the full screen game capture will only take DX9 due to the lack of documentation of DX8. It'll be implemented later when Jim can find it and decides to implement it.

edit - from a test of it, i get 109fps max. This is a test build after all but yeah.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproject/files/test%20versions/graphics_capture_test1_32bit.zip/download
1 2 3
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.