Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
How is Far Cry 3 & AC3's singleplayer?
posted in Off Topic
2 Frags +

So I'm losing my net for about half of a year and I have a few days to torrent the shit out of everything. Two games have sparked my interest, but I'm not sure if they're worth the download. Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3. Is FC3 good? Is AC3's sp the same as the previous titles (not a bad thing)?

What are some other good singleplayers that have came out recently? I kind of am interested in the recent Hitman release, but I haven't been too fond of the series in the past, so I dunno if I'll get it.

So I'm losing my net for about half of a year and I have a few days to torrent the shit out of everything. Two games have sparked my interest, but I'm not sure if they're worth the download. Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3. Is FC3 good? Is AC3's sp the same as the previous titles (not a bad thing)?

What are some other good singleplayers that have came out recently? I kind of am interested in the recent Hitman release, but I haven't been too fond of the series in the past, so I dunno if I'll get it.
1 Frags +

They're free and you're losing your net for half a year, just do it.

They're free and you're losing your net for half a year, just do it.
1 Frags +

metro 2033
dishonored
borderlands 2
vampire: the masquerade - bloodlines
call of cthulhu
dead island
dead rising 2
civ 4
deus ex
the walking dead
the witcher 2

in no particular order

metro 2033
dishonored
borderlands 2
vampire: the masquerade - bloodlines
call of cthulhu
dead island
dead rising 2
civ 4
deus ex
the walking dead
the witcher 2

in no particular order
0 Frags +

G T A

Fallout

Borderlands 2

Team Fortress 2 bots (jk)

G T A

Fallout

Borderlands 2

Team Fortress 2 bots (jk)
3 Frags +

Where are you going that is causing you to lose your net for half a year?

Personally I would download an emulator for the SNES, NES, Gameboy Advance etc. and download full ROM packs of every game for those systems. That will give you more than enough to choose from when you run out of modern games.

Where are you going that is causing you to lose your net for half a year?

Personally I would download an emulator for the SNES, NES, Gameboy Advance etc. and download full ROM packs of every game for those systems. That will give you more than enough to choose from when you run out of modern games.
0 Frags +

I can tell you tomorrow

I can tell you tomorrow
-7 Frags +

Support the devs, don't pirate.

Support the devs, don't pirate.
1 Frags +

Believe me, I would buy all the good games in the world if it were that easy. Not trying to make my life seem as if it's virtually impossible to pay for anything that isn't a bill, but right now money is sort of a problem and that's why I'm losing my net. Being in debt with a company, or anyone for that matter, sucks, but it's not worth going more into debt with them because I decided to buy a video game, not pay off the debt, let alone future monthly bills (in this case, none more) and end up needing to wait longer to work on it. Hope that answers your question as well, Kalkin.

I'm going to go ahead and get FC3, AC3, Hitman and replay FONV. I already have BL2, but I have spent way too much time on that for right now. I bought the Walking Dead a week ago with some birthday money, so I'll install that some time later. Thanks for the suggestions.

Believe me, I would buy all the good games in the world if it were that easy. Not trying to make my life seem as if it's virtually impossible to pay for anything that isn't a bill, but right now money is sort of a problem and that's why I'm losing my net. Being in debt with a company, or anyone for that matter, sucks, but it's not worth going more into debt with them because I decided to buy a video game, not pay off the debt, let alone future monthly bills (in this case, none more) and end up needing to wait longer to work on it. Hope that answers your question as well, Kalkin.

I'm going to go ahead and get FC3, AC3, Hitman and replay FONV. I already have BL2, but I have spent way too much time on that for right now. I bought the Walking Dead a week ago with some birthday money, so I'll install that some time later. Thanks for the suggestions.
1 Frags +

Far Cry 3 is my game of the year, AC3 was fun, till the final cutscene, sick year from Ubisoft though!

Far Cry 3 is my game of the year, AC3 was fun, till the final cutscene, sick year from Ubisoft though!
0 Frags +

The Witcher - directors HD enhanced edition.
The Witcher 2 - Extended cut
Skyrim

I would get those 3 RPG's for SURE if I had 6 months to play by myself.

The Witcher - directors HD enhanced edition.
The Witcher 2 - Extended cut
Skyrim

I would get those 3 RPG's for SURE if I had 6 months to play by myself.
-1 Frags +

Kalkin has his shit right

Play the fuck out of every RPG on the SNES you can

Kalkin has his shit right

Play the fuck out of every RPG on the SNES you can
0 Frags +

Seriously, pirating games is crap. Studios are going under left and right; if you want to enjoy the games, buy them or watch someone play them on a stream, don't enjoy someone's hard work for nothing.

The THQ bundle is still going, which should provide plenty of entertainment at a low cost if you would rather purchase the games than torrent them. If you're going to be pirating stuff anyway, avoid the new Hitman, I haven't heard many great things. The Fallout series is always a great choice, and there are a ton of fun indie games: Bastion, Binding of Isaac, Rochard, Super Meat Boy. Basically anything that was in a Humble Bundle - of course, since your'e looking for recent games, you probably know about all these. The Walking Dead is amazing so far, Scribblenauts is silly but good for a laugh. Sniper Elite V2 has been neat too.

Anyway, good luck with stuff, hope you get back on the interwebs soon.

Seriously, pirating games is crap. Studios are going under left and right; if you want to enjoy the games, buy them or watch someone play them on a stream, don't enjoy someone's hard work for nothing.

The THQ bundle is still going, which should provide plenty of entertainment at a low cost if you would rather purchase the games than torrent them. If you're going to be pirating stuff anyway, avoid the new Hitman, I haven't heard many great things. The Fallout series is always a great choice, and there are a ton of fun indie games: Bastion, Binding of Isaac, Rochard, Super Meat Boy. Basically anything that was in a Humble Bundle - of course, since your'e looking for recent games, you probably know about all these. The Walking Dead is amazing so far, Scribblenauts is silly but good for a laugh. Sniper Elite V2 has been neat too.

Anyway, good luck with stuff, hope you get back on the interwebs soon.
0 Frags +

every half life
civ 5
fallout 3
skyrim
metro 2033
sam and max(acquired taste)

I'd also recommend downloading multiple seasons of whole shows you enjoy. Why are you losing your net?

every half life
civ 5
fallout 3
skyrim
metro 2033
sam and max(acquired taste)

I'd also recommend downloading multiple seasons of whole shows you enjoy. Why are you losing your net?
1 Frags +

Hotline Miami.

And yeah, get a SNES emulator. There are so many good SNES games out there.

Hotline Miami.

-3 Frags +

I hope you stay without internet for as long as how much all the pirated games you have are worth. Developers are going bankrupt everywhere, I hope you go down with them too.

I hope you stay without internet for as long as how much all the pirated games you have are worth. Developers are going bankrupt everywhere, I hope you go down with them too.
1 Frags +

thief gold, thief 2, thief deadly shadows
the ultimate doom and doom 2

thief gold, thief 2, thief deadly shadows
the ultimate doom and doom 2
2 Frags +

far cry 3 is really good, the open world is just fun

hunting tigers and komodo dragons with bow & arrow is the shit

far cry 3 is really good, the open world is just fun

hunting tigers and komodo dragons with bow & arrow is the shit
0 Frags +
MunchHotline Miami.

backing this up, I wasn't expecting much out of Hotline Miami but it's very fun.

[quote=Munch]Hotline Miami.

And yeah, get a SNES emulator. There are so many good SNES games out there.[/quote]

backing this up, I wasn't expecting much out of Hotline Miami but it's very fun.
0 Frags +

Not to be rude to anyone who likes it or anything but personally i thought far cry 3 was shit, AC3 however is fucking incredible. And yeah, the SP in ac3 is similar to its predecessors but the combat system has been heavily modified and its just A LOT of fun

Not to be rude to anyone who likes it or anything but personally i thought far cry 3 was shit, AC3 however is fucking incredible. And yeah, the SP in ac3 is similar to its predecessors but the combat system has been heavily modified and its just A LOT of fun
-1 Frags +

assassins creed is extremely buggy in my opinion and can get repetitive once you start playing it alot but other than that its a great game

assassins creed is extremely buggy in my opinion and can get repetitive once you start playing it alot but other than that its a great game
0 Frags +

Extremely buggy is a vast overstatement

Extremely buggy is a vast overstatement
1 Frags +

torchlight 2, nuff said

torchlight 2, nuff said
0 Frags +
WILDFIREExtremely buggy is a vast overstatement

i guess ya but there are quite a few bugs

[quote=WILDFIRE]Extremely buggy is a vast overstatement[/quote]

i guess ya but there are quite a few bugs
0 Frags +

My extensive thoughts on Far Cry 3, after having beaten it yesterday:

I was really looking forward to Far Cry 3 because I extensively enjoyed playing through Far Cry 2, despite it's design flaws (Stealth not working right, very shallow characters who all had the same personality, the game from 0-40% and 50-90% was really repetitive and boring grinding out missions for the factions, luckily the midgame and endgame were both pretty decent.)

Pros:
Far Cry 3 fixed it's stealth system. It works very well now, between takedowns, being able to "mark" enemies with your camera and know where they are at all times, enemies not being alerted unless they see a dead body/see someone die all add improvements to the broken stealth from Far Cry 2 where you'd kill one guy on one side of a camp, then everyone in the village is alerted.

The story mode is very diversified. In Far Cry 2, it was a lot of "Go here, blow this up, get a phone call from your buddy then do it his way which involves an extra step, then save your buddy". The story mode in FC3 is more like Skyrim. Every mission is unique.

SOME of the character personalities are VERY good. Though the personalities of the people in villages are kind of lacking (most of the women are either airheads or prostitutes) the characters you'll meet in the main story are very unique. Vaas makes for a great villain of the series. Everything from his acting, facial expressions, and actions paint a very good portrayal of a villain. The other people you meet along the way are also very unique and interesting.

The story is relatively deep. It touches on some really dark things (kind of vague but I don't want to spoil anything.) The story is very different from Far Cry 2's politically charged setting, as it is more a transformation story of the main character, Jason Brody.

The mechanics of the in game shop are a little better. Weapons are more customizeable, you can paint them, attach supressors/scopes/extended magazines onto them.

The general immersion into the game feels really good. Everything from the loading screens after major plot twists to the playable cutscenes make it really easy to grasp the mood of the game.

Cons:
As mentioned above, only SOME of the personalities are good. There are also a lot of really shallow characters (such as Jason Brody's friends) and they really lack personality. I didn't really want to rescue any of them, and the lack of character development among them was palpable.

Although the story was good and had some interesting twists, a lot of it was very cliche. I think you'll find it to be somewhat easy to predict a few of the plot twists. Also there are two endings to the game, and one of them is really stupid and very few people chose the path to that one anyway, I didn't see the appeal to it. You'll hear the characters say really corny and predictable lines sometimes.

This whole "Skyrim with guns" claim simply isn't true. There is a lack of any story outside of the main quest. For instance, in Skyrim, I felt that the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests were exceptionally well done, even more so than the main story. With Far Cry 3, there really is ONLY the main story. There are roughly 40~ guard camps you can clear, and 120~ relics you can find, but it's really boring and grindy. After I finished the main quest, my progress was at 40% in game, but the rest of the content looked really boring, so I don't feel the the need to continue playing.

And in Skyrim, once I finished the main story, the Dark Brohood and the Thieves Guild I found it unnecessary to continue afterwards. All the remaining quests generally received less love from the playerbase because they weren't nearly as good as the aformentioned ones. I felt the same way after finishing the main story of FC3, nothing I could do in the game would be nearly as fun and interesting as the main story.

My extensive thoughts on Far Cry 3, after having beaten it yesterday:

I was really looking forward to Far Cry 3 because I extensively enjoyed playing through Far Cry 2, despite it's design flaws (Stealth not working right, very shallow characters who all had the same personality, the game from 0-40% and 50-90% was really repetitive and boring grinding out missions for the factions, luckily the midgame and endgame were both pretty decent.)

[b]Pros[/b]:
[b]Far Cry 3 fixed it's stealth system[/b]. It works very well now, between takedowns, being able to "mark" enemies with your camera and know where they are at all times, enemies not being alerted unless they see a dead body/see someone die all add improvements to the broken stealth from Far Cry 2 where you'd kill one guy on one side of a camp, then everyone in the village is alerted.

[b]The story mode is very diversified[/b]. In Far Cry 2, it was a lot of "Go here, blow this up, get a phone call from your buddy then do it his way which involves an extra step, then save your buddy". The story mode in FC3 is more like Skyrim. Every mission is unique.

[b]SOME of the character personalities are VERY good[/b]. Though the personalities of the people in villages are kind of lacking (most of the women are either airheads or prostitutes) the characters you'll meet in the main story are very unique. Vaas makes for a great villain of the series. Everything from his acting, facial expressions, and actions paint a very good portrayal of a villain. The other people you meet along the way are also very unique and interesting.

[b]The story is relatively deep[/b]. It touches on some really dark things (kind of vague but I don't want to spoil anything.) The story is very different from Far Cry 2's politically charged setting, as it is more a transformation story of the main character, Jason Brody.

[b]The mechanics of the in game shop are a little better.[/b] Weapons are more customizeable, you can paint them, attach supressors/scopes/extended magazines onto them.

[b]The general immersion into the game feels really good[/b]. Everything from the loading screens after major plot twists to the playable cutscenes make it really easy to grasp the mood of the game.

[b]Cons[/b]:
[b]As mentioned above, only SOME of the personalities are good[/b]. There are also a lot of really shallow characters (such as Jason Brody's friends) and they really lack personality. I didn't really want to rescue any of them, and the lack of character development among them was palpable.

[b]Although the story was good and had some interesting twists, a lot of it was very cliche[/b]. I think you'll find it to be somewhat easy to predict a few of the plot twists. Also there are two endings to the game, and one of them is really stupid and very few people chose the path to that one anyway, I didn't see the appeal to it. You'll hear the characters say really corny and predictable lines sometimes.

[b]This whole "Skyrim with guns" claim simply isn't true[/b]. There is a lack of any story outside of the main quest. For instance, in Skyrim, I felt that the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests were exceptionally well done, even more so than the main story. With Far Cry 3, there really is ONLY the main story. There are roughly 40~ guard camps you can clear, and 120~ relics you can find, but it's really boring and grindy. After I finished the main quest, my progress was at 40% in game, but the rest of the content looked really boring, so I don't feel the the need to continue playing.

And in Skyrim, once I finished the main story, the Dark Brohood and the Thieves Guild I found it unnecessary to continue afterwards. All the remaining quests generally received less love from the playerbase because they weren't nearly as good as the aformentioned ones. I felt the same way after finishing the main story of FC3, nothing I could do in the game would be nearly as fun and interesting as the main story.
0 Frags +

PART DOS OF MY FAR CRY 3 REVIEW

The game is easyish? Upon reading other player's reviews of the game I came to conclusion that the game is somewhat easy. You never have to buy any guns (no intelligent player would do so, you can instead just activate these really simple radio towers to make all the guns in the shop free). There's loot practically everywhere, there's money everywhere, and you really only need to spend it on customizing weapons, so I never found a lack of funds to be an issue. Secondly, a lot of players didn't like having the track system on the hardest difficulties, they said it took away from the difficulty of the game because you could just mark everyone and know where everyone is at all times.

The skill trees don't really specialize in anything. There are three main "skill trees" in the game, Shark, Heron and Spider. First of all, by the time the game was finished, I had completed one whole perk tree and was about 6 perks away from finishing the other two. You will end up completing all of the perk trees if you choose to continue to do things after the main story. The perks from every tree help with just about everything.

For instance, all three trees have skills for your takedown ability, which is primarily a stealth mechanic to quickly dispatch enemies without retaliation if you do it right.

And the Spider tree, which is supposed to focus on Stealth has perks for faster reloads with Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and Light Machine Guns, along with some perks that help with combat once you've been detected. This may not be a con but I found it to be kind of strange, since I was focusing largely on stealth and I spec'd into every tree to do so. Though you end up finishing every tree anyway, this isn't a true con I guess.

The game has "dominant" playstyles. For the most part, whenever you take a camp, you should take it via stealth. You get a lot more EXP this way (1500exp compared to like 700 if you're detected) and it's a lot easier to do than to go balls deep with a Light Machine Gun. Also every camp has alarms, so if you're detected you'll be flooded with enemies and you need your reinforcements to swoop in and help you out. I feel that the first half of the game would have been very hard if I didn't primarily focus on stealth. There are very few missions in the game where I think stealth wouldn't be the optimal way to go.

Conclusion
Yes, I do think it is worth playing (it's VERY VERY fun and does not disappoint/fail to live up to the hype), but don't expect a whole lot out of it. I beat the main story in 14 hours and 24 minutes, whilst doing a few side tasks, clearing some camps, completing actions to unlock perks on the skill trees. Expect a decent story, some really good mechanics and solid gameplay, but don't expect this game to hold you down for 50+ hours of content.

[i]PART DOS OF MY FAR CRY 3 REVIEW

[/i]
[b]The game is easyish[/b]? Upon reading other player's reviews of the game I came to conclusion that the game is somewhat easy. You never have to buy any guns (no intelligent player would do so, you can instead just activate these really simple radio towers to make all the guns in the shop free). There's loot practically everywhere, there's money everywhere, and you really only need to spend it on customizing weapons, so I never found a lack of funds to be an issue. Secondly, a lot of players didn't like having the track system on the hardest difficulties, they said it took away from the difficulty of the game because you could just mark everyone and know where everyone is at all times.

[b]The skill trees don't really specialize in anything[/b]. There are three main "skill trees" in the game, Shark, Heron and Spider. First of all, by the time the game was finished, I had completed one whole perk tree and was about 6 perks away from finishing the other two. You will end up completing all of the perk trees if you choose to continue to do things after the main story. The perks from every tree help with just about everything.

For instance, all three trees have skills for your takedown ability, which is primarily a stealth mechanic to quickly dispatch enemies without retaliation if you do it right.

And the Spider tree, which is supposed to focus on Stealth has perks for faster reloads with Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and Light Machine Guns, along with some perks that help with combat once you've been detected. This may not be a con but I found it to be kind of strange, since I was focusing largely on stealth and I spec'd into every tree to do so. Though you end up finishing every tree anyway, this isn't a true con I guess.

[b]The game has "dominant" playstyles[/b]. For the most part, whenever you take a camp, you should take it via stealth. You get a lot more EXP this way (1500exp compared to like 700 if you're detected) and it's a lot easier to do than to go balls deep with a Light Machine Gun. Also every camp has alarms, so if you're detected you'll be flooded with enemies and you need your reinforcements to swoop in and help you out. I feel that the first half of the game would have been very hard if I didn't primarily focus on stealth. There are very few missions in the game where I think stealth wouldn't be the optimal way to go.

[b]Conclusion[/b]
Yes, I do think it is worth playing (it's VERY VERY fun and does not disappoint/fail to live up to the hype), but don't expect a whole lot out of it. I beat the main story in 14 hours and 24 minutes, whilst doing a few side tasks, clearing some camps, completing actions to unlock perks on the skill trees. Expect a decent story, some really good mechanics and solid gameplay, but don't expect this game to hold you down for 50+ hours of content.
2 Frags +
MunchHotline Miami.

E A R T H B O U N D

[quote=Munch]Hotline Miami.

And yeah, get a SNES emulator. There are so many good SNES games out there.[/quote]

E A R T H B O U N D
0 Frags +

bugs or a buggy game have never been a defining trait of a bad game I think, although it kinda depends on if they're game breaking or not. I can think of quite a few games that have quirky bugs that are also really good.(Fallout, elder scrolls, red dead redemption)

Hell, a game bug was what made fighting games a lot more skill-based and competitive.

bugs or a buggy game have never been a defining trait of a bad game I think, although it kinda depends on if they're game breaking or not. I can think of quite a few games that have quirky bugs that are also really good.(Fallout, elder scrolls, red dead redemption)

Hell, a game bug was what made fighting games a lot more skill-based and competitive.
0 Frags +

whoops wrong acct

whoops wrong acct
0 Frags +

OK, here is treks thoughts on AC3.

I love all the AC games and hae played through them multiple times. They made some significant changes with AC3, but still kept a lot of the stuff that makes AC good.

First thing they changed is the controls. They simplified the controls down from 4 main buttons in the previous 4 games down to 2. This means that everything is more context sensitive, which can be both good and bad. It is good in that many easier manuevers are really simple to do, but a lot of times you will find your character running up walls and stuff when you didnt want him to. This can make certain mission very frustrating.

The game has several noticeable bugs, most are not that big a deal, none will prevent you from completing missions.

Combat is also simplified but extremely fun.

Another thing they did different that I quite liked from previous games is the economy stuff. In previous games, there was lots of ways to make money, but there was lots of stuff to spend money on. There is absolutely nothing to spend money on in AC3, so none of the economy stuff matters, and i didnt bother with it at all.

There are different types of missions like the naval missions which are fun, and they changed the way the assassin recruits work.

In conclusion, they changed a bunch of stuff, some of it works, some doesnt really work. The game is very fun, I put 26 hours into it. It is as good as the games in the Ezio trilogy IMO.

OK, here is treks thoughts on AC3.

I love all the AC games and hae played through them multiple times. They made some significant changes with AC3, but still kept a lot of the stuff that makes AC good.

First thing they changed is the controls. They simplified the controls down from 4 main buttons in the previous 4 games down to 2. This means that everything is more context sensitive, which can be both good and bad. It is good in that many easier manuevers are really simple to do, but a lot of times you will find your character running up walls and stuff when you didnt want him to. This can make certain mission very frustrating.

The game has several noticeable bugs, most are not that big a deal, none will prevent you from completing missions.

Combat is also simplified but extremely fun.

Another thing they did different that I quite liked from previous games is the economy stuff. In previous games, there was lots of ways to make money, but there was lots of stuff to spend money on. There is absolutely nothing to spend money on in AC3, so none of the economy stuff matters, and i didnt bother with it at all.

There are different types of missions like the naval missions which are fun, and they changed the way the assassin recruits work.

In conclusion, they changed a bunch of stuff, some of it works, some doesnt really work. The game is very fun, I put 26 hours into it. It is as good as the games in the Ezio trilogy IMO.
0 Frags +

Marisa, do you think it would be any different for anyone besides myself if within between now and 6 months, I either torrented a few games or I didn't? No, it wouldn't, because money is not going anywhere regardless if I torrent or not. At least not right now. & Synchro, thanks for the words. Still though, money is worth too much at this moment to go towards the THQ Bundle.

Thanks for the help, guys. Just one more question, how are the more recent Skyrim DLCs like Dawnguard?

Marisa, do you think it would be any different for anyone besides myself if within between now and 6 months, I either torrented a few games or I didn't? No, it wouldn't, because money is not going anywhere regardless if I torrent or not. At least not right now. & Synchro, thanks for the words. Still though, money is worth too much at this moment to go towards the THQ Bundle.

Thanks for the help, guys. Just one more question, how are the more recent Skyrim DLCs like Dawnguard?
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.