Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
hookyHUD - updated Revan_xp HUD
0 Frags +

EDIT: Gave up on this, making a HUD from scratch.

So after broesel told me he was still updating his HUD, I decided to update a HUD that hadn't been updated in a long time. I chose this one because I mostly like the look of it (I plan on making multiple versions in the future, so I'll get one to how I want it).

AND THIS TIME I ASKED FIRST. I didn't want the same thing happening to me again.

Anyway, version 0.5 is out.

Changes from Revan_xp HUD v 2.3:

-Added scoreboard that can be changed in-game
-Removed CTF score on SD and MvM modes.

Bugs:

-Most of MvM doesn't fit in with the rest of the HUD.
-Original 6v6 scoreboard file which was originally used to swap scoreboards manually is still in the HUD.
-Many things may be broken in MvM currently. Hopefully fixed by ver. 1.

Download: <removed because it's broken>

Edit: Screenshots coming tomorrow

EDIT: Gave up on this, making a HUD from scratch.

So after broesel told me he was still updating his HUD, I decided to update a HUD that hadn't been updated in a long time. I chose this one because I mostly like the look of it (I plan on making multiple versions in the future, so I'll get one to how I want it).

AND THIS TIME I ASKED FIRST. I didn't want the same thing happening to me again.

Anyway, version 0.5 is out.

Changes from Revan_xp HUD v 2.3:

-Added scoreboard that can be changed in-game
-Removed CTF score on SD and MvM modes.

Bugs:

-Most of MvM doesn't fit in with the rest of the HUD.
-Original 6v6 scoreboard file which was originally used to swap scoreboards manually is still in the HUD.
-Many things may be broken in MvM currently. Hopefully fixed by ver. 1.

Download: <removed because it's broken>

Edit: Screenshots coming tomorrow
-1 Frags +

revan_xp is my favourite hud, I love you for updating!

revan_xp is my favourite hud, I love you for updating!
-1 Frags +

Has anyone tried this? I'm currently having problems with it and I have no idea what's causing it.

Has anyone tried this? I'm currently having problems with it and I have no idea what's causing it.
-1 Frags +

and now it's fine, wtf

If you're wondering what the problem is, the ammo count was missing.

and now it's fine, wtf

If you're wondering what the problem is, the ammo count was missing.
-1 Frags +

Yeah now the ammo count is missing. Also after switching weps for med the uber bar under the xhair disappeared. Still a nice HUD. Will use after you update :D

Yeah now the ammo count is missing. Also after switching weps for med the uber bar under the xhair disappeared. Still a nice HUD. Will use after you update :D
-1 Frags +

IDK what was up, but thanks for responding.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the white box in spectator mode, but that's starting to seem like something that doesn't involve the HUD at all. :\

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm extremely confused about this whole thing.

IDK what was up, but thanks for responding.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the white box in spectator mode, but that's starting to seem like something that doesn't involve the HUD at all. :\

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm extremely confused about this whole thing.
-1 Frags +

You should have just updated broeselhud anyways, the dude still hasn't released an update yet. Pitiful. :[

You should have just updated broeselhud anyways, the dude still hasn't released an update yet. Pitiful. :[
-1 Frags +

he might trying to be fixing the same thing I am, lol

Also, he might still be working on MvM stuff.

he might trying to be fixing the same thing I am, lol

Also, he might still be working on MvM stuff.
-1 Frags +

update numlocked hud and i will love you forever

update numlocked hud and i will love you forever
-1 Frags +
hookyRight now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the white box in spectator mode, but that's starting to seem like something that doesn't involve the HUD at all. :\

add readyimage/readyimagebg to spectator and spectatortournament

[quote=hooky]Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the white box in spectator mode, but that's starting to seem like something that doesn't involve the HUD at all. :\[/quote]

add readyimage/readyimagebg to spectator and spectatortournament
-1 Frags +

wtf this ammo count problem

maybe I should just start a hud from scratch

wtf this ammo count problem

maybe I should just start a hud from scratch
0 Frags +

You should update Gear hud and add all the missing elements & make it work for all resolutions :3

You should update Gear hud and add all the missing elements & make it work for all resolutions :3
-1 Frags +

only problem I have is that the health gets the damaged background sometimes (probably when I die from more than half my health in damage from above half health? I'll check it out)

only problem I have is that the health gets the damaged background sometimes (probably when I die from more than half my health in damage from above half health? I'll check it out)
-1 Frags +

you should re-release the broesel hud update that you made since broesel is a liar and hasnt updated his.

you should re-release the broesel hud update that you made since broesel is a liar and hasnt updated his.
0 Frags +

screenshots?

screenshots?
-1 Frags +

Sorry, haven't bothered. The glitches distracted me.

I think I might just make a hud from scratch.

Sorry, haven't bothered. The glitches distracted me.

I think I might just make a hud from scratch.
0 Frags +

Yep making a hud from scratch. So do I get this thread locked and make a new one or...

With the new HUD, I'm trying to get the ammo to flash red when you're low. How would I do this (also, would this be distracting? If so, how can I make it stand out while looking good?)?

Yep making a hud from scratch. So do I get this thread locked and make a new one or...

With the new HUD, I'm trying to get the ammo to flash red when you're low. How would I do this (also, would this be distracting? If so, how can I make it stand out while looking good?)?
0 Frags +

basic understanding of structured programming required

basic understanding of structured programming required
0 Frags +

cool

cool
0 Frags +

Here's a rundown on how the basics of how the HUD animation system works. Here's the overheal color pulse (modified) from my copy of RXP's HUD:

http://64.vg/src/a16f2f33335ed5c1013a796143e4bea9

HudHealthBonusPulse and HudHealthBonusPulseStop are called by the game itself when you go above 100% health and when you go below it, respectively. The "starter" event calls an infinite loop between Loop1 and Loop2; Loop1 does the actual animating and Loop2 basically makes Loop1 repeat itself.

In the original RXP HUD, it loops between the starter event (HudHealthBonusPulse) and the loop event. The stopper event kills any event that might be running that sets the color (Animate) of the health # shadow (PlayerStatusHealthValueBG).

More info on that itself: "Animate" is a command that changes some attribute of an HUD object over a certain time, from one value to another, given some interpolation. There's a description of the interpolation methods at the start of the file:

http://64.vg/src/0cd034ef8000931b8e7d162a37b8a8d1

Personally, I think Spline and Linear are the only ones that should be used for pulses.

Here's what I found in my HUD does for low ammo display:

http://64.vg/src/07006f9ce536065684836727913b8609

Now, this can't be right. My HUD doesn't have any image telling me when I'm low on ammo. That must be disabled in HudAmmoWeapons.res. Well, let's take a look at that:

AmmoInClip
AmmoInReserve
AmmoNoClip

Wow, I guess they couldn't merge weapons without reserve ammo with ones that do have such. Anyways, let's try making AmmoInClip and AmmoNoClip's FG color orange when I get low ammo, like my health number does when I'm low on health:

event HudLowAmmoPulse
{
	Animate	AmmoInClip	FgColor	"Orange"	Deaccel 0.0 0.075
	Animate	AmmoNoClip	FgColor	"Orange"	Deaccel 0.0 0.075
}
event HudLowAmmoPulseStop
{
	StopEvent HudLowAmmoPulse 0.0
}

Wow, that orange is really, really gross, and it sticks after I get more ammo again. I'm going to try out a theory that "StopEvent" fast-forwards to the end of the animation, and leaves it there, and see if I can fix it assuming that...

http://64.vg/src/77c734eb87f60c0058322ae2bcdce343

Wow, that didn't solve anything AND the light orange is transparent. I guess I have to reset the color to white manually.

http://64.vg/src/d056f37ebf0fbe912a42776282bf22bf

And it works! Though, it can definitely be simplified a lot:

http://64.vg/src/b0a5347c0391a93543ebea07dd46d99c

Actually, since we don't have to reset the color in the "pulse" itself, we can just get rid of the loop entirely. Well, if you actually want a pulse, you need a loop. You can name it whatever you want. Don't be unreasonable though. Here's what I have finally:

event HudLowAmmoPulse
{
	Animate	AmmoInClip	FgColor	"LighterRed"	Linear 0.0 0.0
	Animate	AmmoNoClip	FgColor	"LighterRed"	Linear 0.0 0.0
}
{
	StopEvent HudLowAmmoPulseLoop 0.0
	Animate	AmmoInClip	FgColor	"TanLight"	Linear	0.0 0.0
	Animate	AmmoNoClip	FgColor	"TanLight"	Linear	0.0 0.0
}

Very simple and consise, but I (we?) learned a lot making it like that. Also, apparently,RXP's "Yellow" is close to the normal offwhite that the ammo/health numbers use. Fancy, huh? I like the way these colors look. You can do whatever you want, but make sure to NOT change the names of the start and stop events. TF2 only calls specific named events; if you change their names, TF2 won't know how to find them, and it'll just call an empty, blank event, and do nothing.

Here's a rundown on how the basics of how the HUD animation system works. Here's the overheal color pulse (modified) from my copy of RXP's HUD:

http://64.vg/src/a16f2f33335ed5c1013a796143e4bea9

HudHealthBonusPulse and HudHealthBonusPulseStop are called by the game itself when you go above 100% health and when you go below it, respectively. The "starter" event calls an infinite loop between Loop1 and Loop2; Loop1 does the actual animating and Loop2 basically makes Loop1 repeat itself.

In the original RXP HUD, it loops between the starter event (HudHealthBonusPulse) and the loop event. The stopper event kills any event that might be running that sets the color (Animate) of the health # shadow (PlayerStatusHealthValueBG).

More info on that itself: "Animate" is a command that changes some attribute of an HUD object over a certain time, from one value to another, given some interpolation. There's a description of the interpolation methods at the start of the file:

http://64.vg/src/0cd034ef8000931b8e7d162a37b8a8d1

Personally, I think Spline and Linear are the only ones that should be used for pulses.

Here's what I found in my HUD does for low ammo display:

http://64.vg/src/07006f9ce536065684836727913b8609

Now, this can't be right. My HUD doesn't have any image telling me when I'm low on ammo. That must be disabled in HudAmmoWeapons.res. Well, let's take a look at that:

[code]AmmoInClip
AmmoInReserve
AmmoNoClip[/code]

Wow, I guess they couldn't merge weapons without reserve ammo with ones that do have such. Anyways, let's try making AmmoInClip and AmmoNoClip's FG color orange when I get low ammo, like my health number does when I'm low on health:
[code]event HudLowAmmoPulse
{
Animate AmmoInClip FgColor "Orange" Deaccel 0.0 0.075
Animate AmmoNoClip FgColor "Orange" Deaccel 0.0 0.075
}
{
}[/code]
Wow, that orange is really, really gross, and it sticks after I get more ammo again. I'm going to try out a theory that "StopEvent" fast-forwards to the end of the animation, and leaves it there, and see if I can fix it assuming that...

http://64.vg/src/77c734eb87f60c0058322ae2bcdce343

Wow, that didn't solve anything AND the light orange is transparent. I guess I have to reset the color to white manually.

http://64.vg/src/d056f37ebf0fbe912a42776282bf22bf

And it works! Though, it can definitely be simplified a lot:

http://64.vg/src/b0a5347c0391a93543ebea07dd46d99c

Actually, since we don't have to reset the color in the "pulse" itself, we can just get rid of the loop entirely. Well, if you actually want a pulse, you need a loop. You can name it whatever you want. Don't be unreasonable though. Here's what I have finally:
[code]event HudLowAmmoPulse
{
Animate AmmoInClip FgColor "LighterRed" Linear 0.0 0.0
Animate AmmoNoClip FgColor "LighterRed" Linear 0.0 0.0
}
{
StopEvent HudLowAmmoPulseLoop 0.0
Animate AmmoInClip FgColor "TanLight" Linear 0.0 0.0
Animate AmmoNoClip FgColor "TanLight" Linear 0.0 0.0
}[/code]
Very simple and consise, but I (we?) learned a lot making it like that. Also, apparently,RXP's "Yellow" is close to the normal offwhite that the ammo/health numbers use. Fancy, huh? I like the way these colors look. You can do whatever you want, but make sure to NOT change the names of the start and stop events. TF2 only calls specific named events; if you change their names, TF2 won't know how to find them, and it'll just call an empty, blank event, and do nothing.
-1 Frags +

If you didn't notice, I said I was starting from scratch. I'm saying this because I put the code in hudanimations_tf.txt and nothing happens. :\

Is there something I need to change in HudAmmoWeapons.res?

If you didn't notice, I said I was starting from scratch. I'm saying this because I put the code in hudanimations_tf.txt and nothing happens. :\

Is there something I need to change in HudAmmoWeapons.res?
-1 Frags +

Are you sure you overwrote the HudLowAmmoPulse etc that were already in the animations file? Also, make sure that AmmoInClip and AmmoNoClip refer to real text displays in the stock HudAmmoWeapons.res, and if they don't, rename the ones in the .res or animations file to match the other. Your call. I don't know any of the labels in the stock HUD's files, and I don't feel like extracting that stuff myself to check.

EDIT: It might be an indentation issue. If source engine is picky enough, it might be freaking out if you didn't put tab indents at the beginnings of the lines between the braces.

Are you sure you overwrote the HudLowAmmoPulse etc that were already in the animations file? Also, make sure that AmmoInClip and AmmoNoClip refer to real text displays in the stock HudAmmoWeapons.res, and if they don't, rename the ones in the .res or animations file to match the other. Your call. I don't know any of the labels in the stock HUD's files, and I don't feel like extracting that stuff myself to check.

EDIT: It might be an indentation issue. If source engine is picky enough, it might be freaking out if you didn't put tab indents at the beginnings of the lines between the braces.
-1 Frags +

It's exactly the same... maybe there's another piece of code that makes it work.

And indenting doesn't work

It's exactly the same... maybe there's another piece of code that makes it work.

And indenting doesn't work
-1 Frags +

I just put that in the vanilla HUD's animation file from scratch and it worked. Actually, I took out the pointless line from the stopper event, but that shouldn't have affected anything.

I just put that in the vanilla HUD's animation file from scratch and it worked. Actually, I took out the pointless line from the stopper event, but that shouldn't have affected anything.
-1 Frags +

I'm dumb, I removed the thing that makes it work. :\

Now it seems slightly transparent, but at least it works now :D Thanks.

I'm dumb, I removed the thing that makes it work. :\

Now it seems slightly transparent, but at least it works now :D Thanks.
-1 Frags +

Yeah, just make sure to get a good color and to change the UI element that's being colored if you want to. :p I keep showing mine to people and they're like "That red is ugly"

Yeah, just make sure to get a good color and to change the UI element that's being colored if you want to. :p I keep showing mine to people and they're like "That red is ugly"
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.