Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
Mifi
posted in Hardware
2 Frags +

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience using mifi and if it's possible to play games on over it.

Thank you!

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience using mifi and if it's possible to play games on over it.

Thank you!
3 Frags +

Over 4G/LTE yes. Over 3G it will be to unstable.

Over 4G/LTE yes. Over 3G it will be to unstable.
1 Frags +

careful of data caps

careful of data caps
1 Frags +

Would not recommend.

Canada specifically has some pretty rigid data caps like 2c mentioned. Unless you're in a major metropolis area you also won't be able to achieve acceptable speeds. That being said, where you do hit acceptable speeds for gaming (Again, Canada specifically) you'll run into some pretty large latency hiccups.

Would not recommend.

Canada specifically has some pretty rigid data caps like 2c mentioned. Unless you're in a major metropolis area you also won't be able to achieve acceptable speeds. That being said, where you do hit acceptable speeds for gaming (Again, Canada specifically) you'll run into some pretty large latency hiccups.
0 Frags +

I'm kind of on the fence of getting Mifi or the new Iridium Go... I might just get both if you can do gaming over mifi, which it sounds like it does. :)

I'm kind of on the fence of getting Mifi or the new Iridium Go... I might just get both if you can do gaming over mifi, which it sounds like it does. :)
3 Frags +

A friend of mine carries a Verizon mifi around with him 24/7 as he's a traveling consultant. We tested it out a while back from 2 different laptops. The area we live in (right outside Pittsburgh) gets a great, and very consistent 4G/LTE signal. For the most part, the ping was very stable - (hovered mostly between 50-70 with some servers going in the low 30's at best). The one thing we noticed every couple of minutes there would be a 2-4 freeze (sort of like when a server dies). After turning net-graph on we noticed choke shooting up to insane rates....but then quickly corrects itself. I would assume this is the same thing cobra mentioned above. I don't know if this is a common issue or not, or maybe a limitation to the mifi device we were using but it was really annoying after a while...it would totally ruin a competitive experience if it was a common occurrence.

Also the hour or so we pubbed, it ate a decent chunk of data (i think around 200mb or so..can't remember exactly). So keep that in mind if you have a limited data plan.

A friend of mine carries a Verizon mifi around with him 24/7 as he's a traveling consultant. We tested it out a while back from 2 different laptops. The area we live in (right outside Pittsburgh) gets a great, and very consistent 4G/LTE signal. For the most part, the ping was very stable - (hovered mostly between 50-70 with some servers going in the low 30's at best). The one thing we noticed every couple of minutes there would be a 2-4 freeze (sort of like when a server dies). After turning net-graph on we noticed choke shooting up to insane rates....but then quickly corrects itself. I would assume this is the same thing cobra mentioned above. I don't know if this is a common issue or not, or maybe a limitation to the mifi device we were using but it was really annoying after a while...it would totally ruin a competitive experience if it was a common occurrence.

Also the hour or so we pubbed, it ate a decent chunk of data (i think around 200mb or so..can't remember exactly). So keep that in mind if you have a limited data plan.
0 Frags +

Hmmm I don't know if I can trust you Phaser... Did you test them on the two laptops I bought from you?

Heh, it would be pretty cool if you did!

I tend to travel a lot for work with a wide range of signal strength. Some places have very good 4G/LTE to areas like Norman Wells/Inuvik where there isn't even 3G.

I can deal with a bit of lag and I'll probably just be pubbing. Thanks for the input!

Hmmm I don't know if I can trust you Phaser... Did you test them on the two laptops I bought from you?

Heh, it would be pretty cool if you did!

I tend to travel a lot for work with a wide range of signal strength. Some places have very good 4G/LTE to areas like Norman Wells/Inuvik where there isn't even 3G.

I can deal with a bit of lag and I'll probably just be pubbing. Thanks for the input!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.