Upvote Upvoted 8 Downvote Downvoted
Changing Sensitivity: Bad Idea?
0 Frags +

Hey guys,

I have about 1000 hours on TF2 and have been using this same sensitivity for about 500 of them. This sensitivity is 6.2 inches/360 (1800 dpi, 1.47 in-game sens., NO mouse accel). However, I have found that for certain classes, especially sniper and scout, a slightly lower sensitivity would probably help. Also, I have started to get into Counter Strike, in which it is a lot harder to aim at my current tf2 sensitivity.
I mean, I main soldier, and my sensitivity feels good for that class, but my main concern is with scout, which I also enjoy playing very much.

So, what do you guys suggest? Should I:

[b]A)Lower my sensitivity[/b] for both tf2 and counter-strike (to something between 7 and 10 inches/360)
    [b]B)Lower my sensitivity for [u]ONLY[/u] counter-strike[/b] and keep the same tf2 sens. (will this mess up my consistency?) or
    [b]C) Keep the same sensitivity for both games[/b]
Hey guys,

I have about 1000 hours on [b]TF2[/b] and have been using this same sensitivity for about 500 of them. This sensitivity is [b]6.2 inches/360[/b] (1800 dpi, 1.47 in-game sens., NO mouse accel). However, I have found that for certain classes, especially sniper and scout, a slightly lower sensitivity would probably help. Also, I have started to get into [b]Counter Strike[/b], in which it is a lot harder to aim at my current tf2 sensitivity.
I mean, I main soldier, and my sensitivity feels good for that class, but my main concern is with scout, which I also enjoy playing very much.

[b][u]So, what do you guys suggest? Should I:[/u][/b]
[list]
[b]A)Lower my sensitivity[/b] for both tf2 and counter-strike (to something between 7 and 10 inches/360)
[b]B)Lower my sensitivity for [u]ONLY[/u] counter-strike[/b] and keep the same tf2 sens. (will this mess up my consistency?) or
[b]C) Keep the same sensitivity for both games[/b]
[/list]
3 Frags +

TF2 and CS(guessing csgo) the aiming aspect in those games is very different. Do what makes you feel more comfy using your mouse.

TF2 and CS(guessing csgo) the aiming aspect in those games is very different. Do what makes you feel more comfy using your mouse.
-7 Frags +

you can't be pro in two games at the same time so pick one 6.2 inches is fine for scout/whatever other class

cs on the otherhand requires a slower sensitivity so if you pick that game typically all the pros in that game use 15+ inches/360

you can't be pro in two games at the same time so pick one 6.2 inches is fine for scout/whatever other class

cs on the otherhand requires a slower sensitivity so if you pick that game typically all the pros in that game use 15+ inches/360
2 Frags +

I found that a sensitivity of 4.0 at 400 DPI (or 2.0 at 800 DPI) which equals 10 inches per 360, is the absolute highest usable sensitivity in counter-strike you can use before you lose fine precision. In TF2, this barely makes it comfortable to use for projectile classes if you primarily use your wrist.

f0rest uses 3.6 at 400 dpi which equates to 11.3 inches per 360 and he is highly regarded as one of the best players when it comes to aim. I used his sensitivity as a reference to figure out the highest usable limit. If you want the same sensitivity for every game, I suggest lowering your sensitivity and using your arm for projectile classes but can still rely only on wrist movement for scout/sniper. I used to practice rocket jumping with around 20 inches per 360, and it takes a long time to get used to but your tracking improves a lot.

I found that a sensitivity of 4.0 at 400 DPI (or 2.0 at 800 DPI) which equals 10 inches per 360, is the absolute highest usable sensitivity in counter-strike you can use before you lose fine precision. In TF2, this barely makes it comfortable to use for projectile classes if you primarily use your wrist.

f0rest uses 3.6 at 400 dpi which equates to 11.3 inches per 360 and he is highly regarded as one of the best players when it comes to aim. I used his sensitivity as a reference to figure out the highest usable limit. If you want the same sensitivity for every game, I suggest lowering your sensitivity and using your arm for projectile classes but can still rely only on wrist movement for scout/sniper. I used to practice rocket jumping with around 20 inches per 360, and it takes a long time to get used to but your tracking improves a lot.
4 Frags +

ive found that i can play with different sensitivities in different games as long as those sensitivities arent similar (i use 12cm/5 inches for tf2 and 36cm/14 inches in csgo for example)

ive found that i can play with different sensitivities in different games as long as those sensitivities arent similar (i use 12cm/5 inches for tf2 and 36cm/14 inches in csgo for example)
2 Frags +

Yeah, if there's enough of a discrepancy you can kind of 'shift gears' between two games.

I personally play on the same sens on every game (16.6cm/360) but that's quite a high sens and not a very good idea.

Yeah, if there's enough of a discrepancy you can kind of 'shift gears' between two games.

I personally play on the same sens on every game (16.6cm/360) but that's quite a high sens and not a very good idea.
9 Frags +

Pick a sensitivity and use it. If it's comfortable, keep it. If it's not comfortable, start over. The idea that you can't use different sensitivities for different games, different classes, or even for different weapons within the same class within the same game, is ludicrous. The idea that you can't use a sensitivity faster than 10"/360 is also ludicrous.

Sure, the pros have a lower sensitivity. CS has much slower movement which makes the necessity of quick 180 turns occur much less frequently. Most CS players have a sensitivity that makes it easier for them to control recoil and aim more precisely. If that means you use a 10"/360 sensitivity, go for it. If you can be accurate with your recoil control and aiming while using a higher sensitivity, then do it.

It's all preference and nobody can positively tell you how your muscle memory will react to changes and/or utilizing multiple sensitivities.

Pick a sensitivity and use it. If it's comfortable, keep it. If it's not comfortable, start over. The idea that you can't use different sensitivities for different games, different classes, or even for different weapons within the same class within the same game, is ludicrous. The idea that you can't use a sensitivity faster than 10"/360 is also ludicrous.

Sure, the pros have a lower sensitivity. CS has much slower movement which makes the necessity of quick 180 turns occur much less frequently. Most CS players have a sensitivity that makes it easier for them to control recoil and aim more precisely. If that means you use a 10"/360 sensitivity, go for it. If you can be accurate with your recoil control and aiming while using a higher sensitivity, then do it.

It's all preference and nobody can positively tell you how your muscle memory will react to changes and/or utilizing multiple sensitivities.
0 Frags +

cs requires flicking at times. i find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games. i also play quake which requires both flicking and precise aiming and i could probably say the same for tf2. imo, master all kinds of mouse movements with one sensitivity.

cs requires flicking at times. i find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games. i also play quake which requires both flicking and precise aiming and i could probably say the same for tf2. imo, master all kinds of mouse movements with one sensitivity.
0 Frags +
vilei find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games.

The problem for me is that my current tf2 sensitivity feels very comfortable, but it would still feel fine if I raised it an inch or two (per 360).
However, in counter-strike this same sensitivity feels very uncomfortable and I feel like only a drastic decrease in sensitivity (increase in inches/360) would result in a good sens.

So, anyways, do you actually think that using significantly different sensitivities in different games would actually be damaging to my aim and consistency. I understand the short-term harm it could have, but do you guys think it makes any difference long-term?

[quote=vile]i find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games. [/quote]

The problem for me is that my current tf2 sensitivity feels very comfortable, but it would still feel fine if I raised it an inch or two (per 360).
However, in counter-strike this same sensitivity feels very uncomfortable and I feel like only a drastic decrease in sensitivity (increase in inches/360) would result in a good sens.

So, anyways, do you actually think that using significantly different sensitivities in different games would actually be damaging to my aim and consistency. I understand the short-term harm it could have, but do you guys think it makes any difference long-term?
0 Frags +
Evanvilei find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games.

you mentioned that you started to get into counter-strike, so does that mean you just got into it very recently? maybe your sensitivity is too high or maybe you're just not used to the precision aiming that cs demands. i thought my tf2 sens was too high for csgo but then i started to put a lot more focus onto those headshots and my tf2 sens turned out to be fine. sometimes i lean my head a little closer to the screen for those pixel shots (yeah, cs is pretty intense lol). this is just my experience. it's all preference imo.

i only play pugs nowadays and i usually play soldier. playing csgo made me realize how careless i am with aiming in tf2. you can't really slack off in csgo or you just fuckin die.

[quote=Evan][quote=vile]i find it very helpful to use the same sensitivity for all games. [/quote]

So, anyways, do you actually think that using significantly different sensitivities in different games would actually be damaging to my aim and consistency. I understand the short-term harm it could have, but do you guys think it makes any difference long-term?[/quote]

you mentioned that you started to get into counter-strike, so does that mean you just got into it very recently? maybe your sensitivity is too high or maybe you're just not used to the precision aiming that cs demands. i thought my tf2 sens was too high for csgo but then i started to put a lot more focus onto those headshots and my tf2 sens turned out to be fine. sometimes i lean my head a little closer to the screen for those pixel shots (yeah, cs is pretty intense lol). this is just my experience. it's all preference imo.

i only play pugs nowadays and i usually play soldier. playing csgo made me realize how careless i am with aiming in tf2. you can't really slack off in csgo or you just fuckin die.
0 Frags +

Sensitivity is 110% preference don't feel you have to change because someone says it's to high or some plat scout uses X sensitivity. My sens is .6 in per 360 which is crazy high to most people but it's what i'm comfy with. Whatever you feel more comfortable with is the best option.

Sensitivity is 110% preference don't feel you have to change because someone says it's to high or some plat scout uses X sensitivity. My sens is .6 in per 360 which is crazy high to most people but it's what i'm comfy with. Whatever you feel more comfortable with is the best option.
0 Frags +
EvanSo, anyways, do you actually think that using significantly different sensitivities in different games would actually be damaging to my aim and consistency. I understand the short-term harm it could have, but do you guys think it makes any difference long-term?

no. the "speed" and style of fights and movement in cs is so fucking slow that even an identical sensitivity to tf2 will feel very different.

also above someone posted some shit about 10in/360 being the lowest sens possible for wrist players...my sens is 16in/360 and im a wrist player.

basically go what's comfortable for you and ignore just about everything else people will tell you because it's all on a case by case basis.

[quote=Evan]So, anyways, do you actually think that using significantly different sensitivities in different games would actually be damaging to my aim and consistency. I understand the short-term harm it could have, but do you guys think it makes any difference long-term?[/quote]

no. the "speed" and style of fights and movement in cs is so fucking slow that even an identical sensitivity to tf2 will feel very different.

also above someone posted some shit about 10in/360 being the lowest sens possible for wrist players...my sens is 16in/360 and im a wrist player.

basically go what's comfortable for you and ignore just about everything else people will tell you because it's all on a case by case basis.
0 Frags +

I see the appeal of keeping the sens. the same all around and for all games but I've started to set sensitivities per game to whatever feels like a good balance between precision and reaction speed (in that game). This even goes for TF2 classes. My main sens. is about 7 inches for demo and soldier and med but for the other classes at one point I started using 14. Before that my average damage per shot with scout was 3. Once I changed it I could actually hit things every once in a while. Yeah it can be a bitch going switching between different games and classes but you get used to it and after a while it's not a big deal. It's a skill of its own that you pick up, being able to change sensitivities and rapidly adapt and carry on playing. So basically what smaka said. Do whatever you feel is right.

I see the appeal of keeping the sens. the same all around and for all games but I've started to set sensitivities per game to whatever feels like a good balance between precision and reaction speed (in that game). This even goes for TF2 classes. My main sens. is about 7 inches for demo and soldier and med but for the other classes at one point I started using 14. Before that my average damage per shot with scout was 3. Once I changed it I could actually hit things every once in a while. Yeah it can be a bitch going switching between different games and classes but you get used to it and after a while it's not a big deal. It's a skill of its own that you pick up, being able to change sensitivities and rapidly adapt and carry on playing. So basically what smaka said. Do whatever you feel is right.
3 Frags +

Changing your sensitivity is fine but don't expect to suddenly hit all of your shots.

Changing your sensitivity is fine but don't expect to suddenly hit all of your shots.
-1 Frags +

Thanks for the input guys. I've started using 11 inch/360 sens on csgo and am still using 6.2 inches/360 for tf2.
One last time: has anyone had bad experiences using different sensitivities for different games?

Thanks for the input guys. I've started using 11 inch/360 sens on csgo and am still using 6.2 inches/360 for tf2.
One last time: has anyone had bad experiences using different sensitivities for different games?
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.