Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
Random Ping Spikes
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Hey all. I started having random ping spikes that are REALLY bad the other night. It's always been fine up until this point. I tried doing speedtests through speedtest's website and everything seems normal. I'm still getting my usual 40mb/s down and 5 up. Even pingtest says my ping is fine, all youtube videos and pages load fine but as soon as I get into a game, I just get ping spikes every 5 seconds.

Anyone know how to fix this? Only two games I've tested this with are with CS:GO and TF2 so far, so I'm not sure if it's just source game problem I'm having or with everything.

It's nothing to do with my PC, I know that for sure. I'm running a GTX 780 in here and have no problems running any game at all right now. I can tell it's a ping/net issue because I'll be walking or something and then all of a sudden I'll freeze completely and be taken back to where I was 3ish seconds before the spike happened. I even seem to be having similar problems with Skype voice chats but mumble seems to work fine. Really don't have any clue what is causing this. I've tried restarting my modem/router and everything.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/96216802.png
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3450141837

System Specs:

Gigabyte GTX 780
i5-3570K 3.4GHz quad-core processor
8GB G.Skill Sniper series RAM

Hey all. I started having random ping spikes that are REALLY bad the other night. It's always been fine up until this point. I tried doing speedtests through speedtest's website and everything seems normal. I'm still getting my usual 40mb/s down and 5 up. Even pingtest says my ping is fine, all youtube videos and pages load fine but as soon as I get into a game, I just get ping spikes every 5 seconds.

Anyone know how to fix this? Only two games I've tested this with are with CS:GO and TF2 so far, so I'm not sure if it's just source game problem I'm having or with everything.

It's nothing to do with my PC, I know that for sure. I'm running a GTX 780 in here and have no problems running any game at all right now. I can tell it's a ping/net issue because I'll be walking or something and then all of a sudden I'll freeze completely and be taken back to where I was 3ish seconds before the spike happened. I even seem to be having similar problems with Skype voice chats but mumble seems to work fine. Really don't have any clue what is causing this. I've tried restarting my modem/router and everything.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/96216802.png
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3450141837

System Specs:

Gigabyte GTX 780
i5-3570K 3.4GHz quad-core processor
8GB G.Skill Sniper series RAM
1 Frags +

I had this for a while. (probably more to do with sharing a 15mb internet with 8 people)

Are you playing with an ethernet cable?
Do you have a torrent client open?
Do you share your connection with anyone?

I had this for a while. (probably more to do with sharing a 15mb internet with 8 people)

0 Frags +
gardenI had this for a while. (probably more to do with sharing a 15mb internet with 8 people)

I'm on wired now and it's fixed, but if I switch back to wireless the problem still persists.

I make sure to stop all torrents and keep the torrent client when I'm playing anything, so it can't be that.

I share it with one person, but he doesn't really use it much and this only started happening the other night. It seems more like the internet just drops for a second rather than it actually just spiking. Not sure what could be causing this, maybe the wireless adapter I'm using?

[quote=garden]I had this for a while. (probably more to do with sharing a 15mb internet with 8 people)

Do you share your connection with anyone?[/quote]

I'm on wired now and it's fixed, but if I switch back to wireless the problem still persists.

I make sure to stop all torrents and keep the torrent client when I'm playing anything, so it can't be that.

I share it with one person, but he doesn't really use it much and this only started happening the other night. It seems more like the internet just drops for a second rather than it actually just spiking. Not sure what could be causing this, maybe the wireless adapter I'm using?
1 Frags +

I would try totally quitting the torrent client and see if that helps. Makes no sense, but may make a difference.

If using a wire is too complex or inconvenient, this is an elegant solution. Often go on sale and only cap around 200mbps so you should be fine.

I would try totally quitting the torrent client and see if that helps. Makes no sense, but may make a difference.

If using a wire is too complex or inconvenient, [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SO94FA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1Y71FHM2STJK3E0S83ZH]this[/url] is an elegant solution. Often go on sale and only cap around 200mbps so you should be fine.
0 Frags +
gardenI would try totally quitting the torrent client and see if that helps. Makes no sense, but may make a difference.

If using a wire is too complex or inconvenient, this is an elegant solution. Often go on sale and only cap around 200mbps so you should be fine.

EDIT: welp I can't read

Anyway, why are you recommending this? Does this really improve the internet? any experience with it?

Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....

[quote=garden]I would try totally quitting the torrent client and see if that helps. Makes no sense, but may make a difference.

If using a wire is too complex or inconvenient, [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SO94FA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1Y71FHM2STJK3E0S83ZH]this[/url] is an elegant solution. Often go on sale and only cap around 200mbps so you should be fine.[/quote]
EDIT: welp I can't read

Anyway, why are you recommending this? Does this really improve the internet? any experience with it?

Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....
serveme.tf
0 Frags +
tornados2111Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....

Because it uses the power lines for network connectivity. Works best if it doesn't need to cross breaker switches and such.

WiFi, especially the normal 2.4ghz type, is never going to be really reliable in terms of latency. There's too few channels, too many sources of interference and with multiple clients on the same network you'll get random delays.
If you have no other option than WiFi, get a router that has 5ghz support and only use the 5ghz for gaming.

[quote=tornados2111]
Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....[/quote]

Because it uses the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication]power lines for network connectivity[/url]. Works best if it doesn't need to cross breaker switches and such.

WiFi, especially the normal 2.4ghz type, is never going to be really reliable in terms of latency. There's too few channels, too many sources of interference and with multiple clients on the same network you'll get random delays.
If you have no other option than WiFi, get a router that has 5ghz support and only use the 5ghz for gaming.
0 Frags +
Arietornados2111Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....
Because it uses the power lines for network connectivity. Works best if it doesn't need to cross breaker switches and such.

So you're saying that a 5ghz router is a better buy than the linked tp-link solution?
Any recommendations for specific routers?

[quote=Arie][quote=tornados2111]
Also a bit confused with what it says here, in the description "*NOTE* - the two adapters need to be placed in the same electrical circle and not plug them into an extension lead." This happens to be slightly inconvenient for me, but I really can't tell why this is important. It will still get the power it needs, why does it need to be actually plugged into a wall. Just seems strange....[/quote]

Because it uses the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication]power lines for network connectivity[/url]. Works best if it doesn't need to cross breaker switches and such.

If you have no other option than WiFi, get a router that has 5ghz support and only use the 5ghz for gaming.[/quote]
So you're saying that a 5ghz router is a better buy than the linked tp-link solution?
Any recommendations for specific routers?
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.