Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
Help with ammo and health pack sounds,etc.
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Hello.
Recently, I upgraded my computer with a new processor, motherboard, and case. Ever since then, I have noticed delays in the minor game sound mechanics such as not being able to hear decloaks sometimes, or ammo packs being picked up, or health and other minor stuff. Sometimes they dont make sound at all. However, these things only SOMETIMES work... So I'm not sure what is quite going on. Would overclocking my CPU and GPU have something to do with it? I validated steam files, checked my configs, and even reinstalled my audio drivers... But I'm not quite sure what is going on.

They are pretty minor, but in comp, as you all know, it's pretty vital to have these things able to be heard. Help? Anyone else experience this before?

EDIT: I also have been recently streaming using OBS. Is there maybe a bug or some type of delay from OBS?

Hello.
Recently, I upgraded my computer with a new processor, motherboard, and case. Ever since then, I have noticed delays in the minor game sound mechanics such as not being able to hear decloaks sometimes, or ammo packs being picked up, or health and other minor stuff. Sometimes they dont make sound at all. However, these things only SOMETIMES work... So I'm not sure what is quite going on. Would overclocking my CPU and GPU have something to do with it? I validated steam files, checked my configs, and even reinstalled my audio drivers... But I'm not quite sure what is going on.

They are pretty minor, but in comp, as you all know, it's pretty vital to have these things able to be heard. Help? Anyone else experience this before?

EDIT: I also have been recently streaming using OBS. Is there maybe a bug or some type of delay from OBS?
0 Frags +

Does snd_restart fix it when it happens?

Does snd_restart fix it when it happens?
0 Frags +

No, unfortunately.

No, unfortunately.
0 Frags +

Does it only happen once per game per sound? If you pick up a health kit with a delayed sound, does the sound play on time for the rest of the round?

Does it only happen once per game per sound? If you pick up a health kit with a delayed sound, does the sound play on time for the rest of the round?
0 Frags +
Ship_it_holla_ballasDoes it only happen once per game per sound? If you pick up a health kit with a delayed sound, does the sound play on time for the rest of the round?

That sounds exactly like how it is. It may restart every life, or round or whatever, because I haven't been able to pick up a real pattern, but you sound like you know whats up. What you just said describes my "symptoms" perfectly.

[quote=Ship_it_holla_ballas]Does it only happen once per game per sound? If you pick up a health kit with a delayed sound, does the sound play on time for the rest of the round?[/quote]

That sounds exactly like how it is. It may restart every life, or round or whatever, because I haven't been able to pick up a real pattern, but you sound like you know whats up. What you just said describes my "symptoms" perfectly.
1 Frags +

I've had the same issue as you for a long time.

As a disclaimer, I don't know a lot about how the sound system works in Source games, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I believe it's the hard drive that's taking too long to load the sounds into memory. At first I believed that TF2 only needed to load the sounds once from the hard drive and from then on the sounds resided in memory which would explain why it only lags the first time around. But when I put on the "snd_async_blocking_spew 1" command I believe all the "blocking load" spam is telling me that it's loading from disk every time, so I might be wrong.

Maybe my hard drive is caching recently accessed sectors or Windows is caching recently accessed files. Either way the problem should be more prominent the more files you access while playing (maybe anti-virus scans could load a lot of files, I don't really know), if Windows is caching files it should be more prominent if you have little RAM available. Defragging would help if it's the disk that's caching stuff instead of Windows.

Usually if you warm up your game with a little DM or something it should work fine in most matches, but hearing a spy decloak after he stabbed you is annoying as hell.

Why this happened after you upgraded your CPU and GPU I can't tell, maybe the HDD got a little knock or something. If you have an SSD it's extremely unlikely that this is the issue.

I've had the same issue as you for a long time.

As a disclaimer, I don't know a lot about how the sound system works in Source games, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I believe it's the hard drive that's taking too long to load the sounds into memory. At first I believed that TF2 only needed to load the sounds once from the hard drive and from then on the sounds resided in memory which would explain why it only lags the first time around. But when I put on the "snd_async_blocking_spew 1" command I believe all the "blocking load" spam is telling me that it's loading from disk every time, so I might be wrong.

Maybe my hard drive is caching recently accessed sectors or Windows is caching recently accessed files. Either way the problem should be more prominent the more files you access while playing (maybe anti-virus scans could load a lot of files, I don't really know), if Windows is caching files it should be more prominent if you have little RAM available. Defragging would help if it's the disk that's caching stuff instead of Windows.

Usually if you warm up your game with a little DM or something it should work fine in most matches, but hearing a spy decloak after he stabbed you is annoying as hell.

Why this happened after you upgraded your CPU and GPU I can't tell, maybe the HDD got a little knock or something. If you have an SSD it's extremely unlikely that this is the issue.
1 Frags +

I have an SSD with my Windows 7 OS on it, but my HDD is what has tf2 on it. I just validated files and defragmented my HDD. It works now :) Thanks a lot for the help!

I have an SSD with my Windows 7 OS on it, but my HDD is what has tf2 on it. I just validated files and defragmented my HDD. It works now :) Thanks a lot for the help!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.