Upvote Upvoted 8 Downvote Downvoted
high choke problem
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

3 Frags +

I hate my isp with a goddamn passion. TF2 hitreg is a unicorn. A FUCKING UNICORN.

I hate my isp with a goddamn passion. TF2 hitreg is a unicorn. A FUCKING UNICORN.
1 Frags +

Try PingPlotter and see where the drops are coming from, then talk to your ISP and ask them to check out the nodes in question.

http://www.pingplotter.com/

Try PingPlotter and see where the drops are coming from, then talk to your ISP and ask them to check out the nodes in question.

http://www.pingplotter.com/
0 Frags +

Definitely talk to your ISP. I went through this exact same thing a year ago. They fixed me up with a new modem, and a new cable and I was good as new.

As to what you would say, just explain the severe issues you've had with your internet recently, and ask them to send a technician. Most ISP technicians will be able to detect that something is amiss if you're having this big of an issue, so you shouldn't have to explain much to them.

Definitely talk to your ISP. I went through this exact same thing a year ago. They fixed me up with a new modem, and a new cable and I was good as new.

As to what you would say, just explain the severe issues you've had with your internet recently, and ask them to send a technician. Most ISP technicians will be able to detect that something is amiss if you're having this big of an issue, so you shouldn't have to explain much to them.
0 Frags +

1 Frags +
OkuuOrdooDefinitely talk to your ISP. I went through this exact same thing a year ago. They fixed me up with a new modem, and a new cable and I was good as new.

I actually had a tech come recently because of constant internet disconnections/time outs and they swapped to the latest modem model they have. I'll try calling again and explaining the server issues though with the choke and request a tech to revisit. By the way its shitty time warner cable.

Pretty sure all the modems TWC leases are junk. Buy a Motorola Surfboard modem and you should have a more stable connection. And you won't have to pay a monthly lease fee either.

[quote=Okuu][quote=Ordoo]Definitely talk to your ISP. I went through this exact same thing a year ago. They fixed me up with a new modem, and a new cable and I was good as new.

As to what you would say, just explain the severe issues you've had with your internet recently, and ask them to send a technician. Most ISP technicians will be able to detect that something is amiss if you're having this big of an issue, so you shouldn't have to explain much to them.[/quote]
I actually had a tech come recently because of constant internet disconnections/time outs and they swapped to the latest modem model they have. I'll try calling again and explaining the server issues though with the choke and request a tech to revisit. By the way its shitty time warner cable.[/quote]
Pretty sure all the modems TWC leases are junk. Buy a Motorola Surfboard modem and you should have a more stable connection. And you won't have to pay a monthly lease fee either.
0 Frags +

0 Frags +
CopperSideBuy a Motorola Surfboard modem and you should have a more stable connection.

I'm on TWC with the surfboard 6141 and I'm really happy with it's performance. It's pricey, but the only internet issues we've had so far have been on TWCs end and not ours.

[quote=CopperSide]Buy a Motorola Surfboard modem and you should have a more stable connection.[/quote]

I'm on TWC with the [url=http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-High-Speed/dp/B007IMPMW4?tag=teamfortresst-20]surfboard 6141[/url] and I'm really happy with it's performance. It's pricey, but the only internet issues we've had so far have been on TWCs end and not ours.
3 Frags +

2 Frags +
OkuuSo I ordered the surfboard 6141 like people recommended in this thread, along with a new ethernet cord and here are the results unfortunately. choke is way worse than before, any ideas why? I'm just going to switch back to the old modem otherwise I guess

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70122669287807083/7A81A6810FB65FC7E4AAC4992E8B5E33F18DE888/

Call a technician and ask them to check out the cable running to your house/app/dorm, it may be old, damaged, or maybe just needs replaced in general. Couldn't hurt to look at it either way.

If buying a new modem hasn't solved the issue, and has in fact made it worse, that makes me think it's the cable running from your modem to them. Bad cables will create a lot of bottlenecks like this.

[quote=Okuu]So I ordered the surfboard 6141 like people recommended in this thread, along with a new ethernet cord and here are the results unfortunately. choke is way worse than before, any ideas why? I'm just going to switch back to the old modem otherwise I guess

[img]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70122669287807083/7A81A6810FB65FC7E4AAC4992E8B5E33F18DE888/[/img][/quote]
Call a technician and ask them to check out the cable running to your house/app/dorm, it may be old, damaged, or maybe just needs replaced in general. Couldn't hurt to look at it either way.

If buying a new modem hasn't solved the issue, and has in fact made it worse, that makes me think it's the cable running from your modem to them. Bad cables will create a lot of bottlenecks like this.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.