Upvote Upvoted 27 Downvote Downvoted
Whale Calls - TF2's First Call-In Show
0 Frags +

Hello! I'm Getawhale and tonight I'm doing the first episode of my show that I've been planning for months. It's called Whale Calls and it's a call-in show. That means that literally anyone can take part in the show by calling our toll-free number.

During this planning I've considered many formats, but I think I'm ready to finally go live this evening to see how it goes. The format for this evening is that we'll be interviewing and talking to our guest first, and then when that's done, moving on to just taking calls and playing TF2 with viewers.

This show isn't strictly about TF2 talk - it's anything goes. This is more like 10% Fully Charged, 90% WTF with Marc Maron.

Tonight's guest is slardel, well known competitive player, musician and all-around nice guy. We'll be giving away a Scattergun signed by slardel at the end of the stream, so there's that too.

This first episode is a test to see how the format works out, and make sure everything's good to go technically. I am hopeful to make this a weekly show with new guests every week.

The show will be on my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/getawhale and we plan to go live at about 9pm EST.

Hope to see you there!

Hello! I'm Getawhale and tonight I'm doing the first episode of my show that I've been planning for months. It's called Whale Calls and it's a call-in show. That means that literally anyone can take part in the show by calling our toll-free number.

During this planning I've considered many formats, but I think I'm ready to finally go live this evening to see how it goes. The format for this evening is that we'll be interviewing and talking to our guest first, and then when that's done, moving on to just taking calls and playing TF2 with viewers.

This show isn't strictly about TF2 talk - it's anything goes. This is more like 10% Fully Charged, 90% WTF with Marc Maron.

Tonight's guest is slardel, well known competitive player, musician and all-around nice guy. We'll be giving away a Scattergun signed by slardel at the end of the stream, so there's that too.

This first episode is a test to see how the format works out, and make sure everything's good to go technically. I am hopeful to make this a weekly show with new guests every week.

The show will be on my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/getawhale and we plan to go live at about 9pm EST.

Hope to see you there!
2 Frags +

haha sounds like an interesting idea, will tune in to see how ridiculous it gets

haha sounds like an interesting idea, will tune in to see how ridiculous it gets
-7 Frags +

Why don't you just get people to skype in?

Why don't you just get people to skype in?
1 Frags +
etherWhy don't you just get people to skype in?

Main reason is not everybody has a Skype account, not everybody has Mumble. People probably wouldn't want to go download and set up Skype just to call in with a question. Most people have a cell phone or landline phone they can quickly grab, though.

Telephone also doesn't have bandwidth or connection issues like some people can with Skype!

Plus it's just fun as hell!

[quote=ether]Why don't you just get people to skype in?[/quote]

Main reason is not everybody has a Skype account, not everybody has Mumble. People probably wouldn't want to go download and set up Skype just to call in with a question. Most people have a cell phone or landline phone they can quickly grab, though.

Telephone also doesn't have bandwidth or connection issues like some people can with Skype!

Plus it's just fun as hell!
9 Frags +

I'd like to request sildeezy as a guest, and then for sildeezy to interview someone else on your stream while you interview sildeezy.

Thank you.

I'd like to request sildeezy as a guest, and then for sildeezy to interview someone else on your stream while you interview sildeezy.

Thank you.
0 Frags +
AloSecI'd like to request sildeezy as a guest, and then for sildeezy to interview someone else on your stream while you interview sildeezy.

Thank you.

He hasn't been online as much lately but I'm sure I'll have him on at some point

[quote=AloSec]I'd like to request sildeezy as a guest, and then for sildeezy to interview someone else on your stream while you interview sildeezy.

Thank you.[/quote]

He hasn't been online as much lately but I'm sure I'll have him on at some point
-2 Frags +

Can't wait to see the show! I call in with some questions such as "Perhaps you could show us plebs how to learn elite men's hair styling tips?" or "Perhaps you could demonstrate how to call whales?"

I'm just spitballing here.

Good luck! I'll be watching.

Can't wait to see the show! I call in with some questions such as "Perhaps you could show us plebs how to learn elite men's hair styling tips?" or "Perhaps you could demonstrate how to call whales?"

I'm just spitballing here.

Good luck! I'll be watching.
-16 Frags +

I'll give him... Three calls before 4chan shows up.

I'll give him... Three calls before 4chan shows up.
7 Frags +

wow 4chan evil people so scary oh no literally devil

wow 4chan evil people so scary oh no literally devil
5 Frags +

EG G_MCMUFFIN

EG G_MCMUFFIN
-8 Frags +

Wouldn't it be easier to gather questions by looking at Twitch chat?

Wouldn't it be easier to gather questions by looking at Twitch chat?
4 Frags +
ZamblerEG G_MCMUFFIN

No idea how anyone could downfrag this

MR_SLINWouldn't it be easier to gather questions by looking at Twitch chat?

Yes that is easy.. there weren't a lot of those that I could see either though. Again this is largely just seeing how the community responds to this - I like the toll-free number, it makes it very much like radio, which is the industry I work in. I think folks like being able to call in, get their voice on stream, be a real part of the show. Also when they call, due to the audio wizardry, they can actually hear both me and the guest in Mumble answering their question. Which I think is cool.

I think partly not everyone in chat necessarily knew who slardel is, which obviously makes it hard to know what to call about.

I am continually looking to find the ultimate format for this. If folks have suggestions, keep em comin - here, as a Twitch message, or email me.

Thanks to folks that watched!

[quote=Zambler]EG G_MCMUFFIN[/quote]

No idea how anyone could downfrag this

[quote=MR_SLIN]Wouldn't it be easier to gather questions by looking at Twitch chat?[/quote]

Yes that is easy.. there weren't a lot of those that I could see either though. Again this is largely just seeing how the community responds to this - I like the toll-free number, it makes it very much like radio, which is the industry I work in. I think folks like being able to call in, get their voice on stream, be a real part of the show. Also when they call, due to the audio wizardry, they can actually hear both me and the guest in Mumble answering their question. Which I think is cool.

I think partly not everyone in chat necessarily knew who slardel is, which obviously makes it hard to know what to call about.

I am continually looking to find the ultimate format for this. If folks have suggestions, keep em comin - here, as a Twitch message, or email me.

Thanks to folks that watched!
4 Frags +

If you missed the show, these will be on my YouTube channel. First episode VOD is at http://youtu.be/NiswPBUL8KI and I won't plug that any more than this one time.

Also here's basically the best call of the night, with caller Mohammed Nadir: http://www.twitch.tv/getawhale/c/4685014

If you missed the show, these will be on my YouTube channel. First episode VOD is at http://youtu.be/NiswPBUL8KI and I won't plug that any more than this one time.

Also here's basically the best call of the night, with caller Mohammed Nadir: http://www.twitch.tv/getawhale/c/4685014
4 Frags +

I love your name

I love your name
0 Frags +

Oh my god the Mohammed call. Is there some context on this?

Oh my god the Mohammed call. Is there some context on this?
4 Frags +
reillyOh my god the Mohammed call. Is there some context on this?

I guess he's just an enthusiastic Indian gentleman who loves eggs!

[quote=reilly]Oh my god the Mohammed call. Is there some context on this?[/quote]

I guess he's just an enthusiastic Indian gentleman who loves eggs!
-2 Frags +

any chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?

any chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?
0 Frags +

Lookin' forward to next week.

Lookin' forward to next week.
3 Frags +
TheManWithNoNameany chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?

Post #13

P.S. We already have our guest confirmed for next Wednesday.. it's a name everybody will know. Announcement when we get closer to the show.

[quote=TheManWithNoName]any chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?[/quote]

Post #13

P.S. We already have our guest confirmed for next Wednesday.. it's a name everybody will know. Announcement when we get closer to the show.
0 Frags +
GetawhaleTheManWithNoNameany chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?
Post #13

:( i cant read evidently (thanks)

[quote=Getawhale][quote=TheManWithNoName]any chance you plan on uploading it to youtube?[/quote]

Post #13

P.S. We already have our guest confirmed for next Wednesday.. it's a name everybody will know. Announcement when we get closer to the show.[/quote]

:( i cant read evidently (thanks)
4 Frags +

This week is our second episode, and it's tomorrow, Wednesday, night at 9:30pm EST.

Guest will be TheFragile, and we're going to talk about GXL, TF2, Invite happenings, and whatever else comes to us. Call in and take part in the show. We'll be giving away a couple signed items as well.

See you there!

This week is our second episode, and it's tomorrow, Wednesday, night at 9:30pm EST.

Guest will be TheFragile, and we're going to talk about GXL, TF2, Invite happenings, and whatever else comes to us. Call in and take part in the show. We'll be giving away a couple signed items as well.

See you there!
-7 Frags +

You really had to do the show at UGC Playoff match time? Damn.

You really had to do the show at UGC Playoff match time? Damn.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.