Upvote Upvoted 4 Downvote Downvoted
Thoughts on the G502
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hey, so my beloved G400 finally gave up after two years. I was thinking of replacing it by the G502. The opinions are pretty divergent, some say its the best mouse they've tried, some say the worst. Has anyone who tried it on TF2 think its worth getting? Should I get it or go with a Zowie/Razer?
Thanks

Hey, so my beloved G400 finally gave up after two years. I was thinking of replacing it by the G502. The opinions are pretty divergent, some say its the best mouse they've tried, some say the worst. Has anyone who tried it on TF2 think its worth getting? Should I get it or go with a Zowie/Razer?
Thanks
3 Frags +

I haven't tried it but it looks like a R.A.T. mouse with a lot of unnecessary buttons, a strange design and that 1337 12.000 DPI sensor... I'd say zowie is a safe bet if you want to change. Maybe also consider the G400s.

I haven't tried it but it looks like a R.A.T. mouse with a lot of unnecessary buttons, a strange design and that 1337 12.000 DPI sensor... I'd say zowie is a safe bet if you want to change. Maybe also consider the G400s.
0 Frags +

Pros:
-The sensor is the best there is--perfect at all dpi levels (which come in increments of 50!)--I find it noticeably superior to the Zowie Evo 2 CL I am switching from. It won't malfunction at any possible speed, smallest liftoff distance in the market, no jitter at any DPI, no smoothing like in most other new optical mice...truly a 100% perfect sensor.
-Nice buttons. On the sensitive side, clicky, more or less well-placed (the "sniper button" is a bit hard to reach, as are the DPI buttons, even with big hands, but mouse4/5 are perfect)
-Very ergonomic. Shape keeps thumb and pinky from dragging on pad.
-Good software (macro support, all buttons reprogrammable).

Cons:
-The clunky metal mouse wheel kind of sucks, although it does have side and free scroll. Not enough steps, too much play, too heavy, unsatisfying mushy feedback on rotations (no "click").
-It is very very heavy. Like, unwieldy heavy.
There are extra weights which can be placed to adjust the weight distribution...so if you like heft you're in luck, otherwise the nice feature is wasted.

If you like heavier mice and the mouse wheel isn't important to you for gaming, grab it. If not, the Roccat Kone Pure Military just came out...Should be very good. The Zowie FK1 is another good option if you have an ambidextrous grip.

Avoid Razer...new DA has an inferior sensor.

I wish the g402 were out already :(

Pros:
-The sensor is the best there is--perfect at all dpi levels (which come in increments of 50!)--I find it noticeably superior to the Zowie Evo 2 CL I am switching from. It won't malfunction at any possible speed, smallest liftoff distance in the market, no jitter at any DPI, no smoothing like in most other new optical mice...truly a 100% perfect sensor.
-Nice buttons. On the sensitive side, clicky, more or less well-placed (the "sniper button" is a bit hard to reach, as are the DPI buttons, even with big hands, but mouse4/5 are perfect)
-Very ergonomic. Shape keeps thumb and pinky from dragging on pad.
-Good software (macro support, all buttons reprogrammable).

Cons:
-The clunky metal mouse wheel kind of sucks, although it does have side and free scroll. Not enough steps, too much play, too heavy, unsatisfying mushy feedback on rotations (no "click").
-It is very very heavy. Like, unwieldy heavy.
There are extra weights which can be placed to adjust the weight distribution...so if you like heft you're in luck, otherwise the nice feature is wasted.

If you like heavier mice and the mouse wheel isn't important to you for gaming, grab it. If not, the Roccat Kone Pure Military just came out...Should be very good. The Zowie FK1 is another good option if you have an ambidextrous grip.

Avoid Razer...new DA has an inferior sensor.

I wish the g402 were out already :(
4 Frags +

I like it. I disagree with stabby's cons but that's probably because I'm used to heavier than average mice with shit mousewheels. It is very ugly though. No dead cable issues like the mx518/g400 series but it is braided which you may or may not prefer. Regardless it's a good mouse and ppl who talk shit are basing it off the 12000 dpi and ugly looks.

There's enough choices in the mouse market you should just go for mouse w/ a perfect sensor that suits your grip, that was the g502 in my case. You can always try then return if tyou don't like it.

I like it. I disagree with stabby's cons but that's probably because I'm used to heavier than average mice with shit mousewheels. It is very ugly though. No dead cable issues like the mx518/g400 series but it is braided which you may or may not prefer. Regardless it's a good mouse and ppl who talk shit are basing it off the 12000 dpi and ugly looks.

There's enough choices in the mouse market you should just go for mouse w/ a perfect sensor that suits your grip, that was the g502 in my case. You can always try then return if tyou don't like it.
2 Frags +

If your logitech mouse has broke, then you may be able to a replacement from logitech.

I really dislike logitech mice. Both of my mx518s had cord issues and they replaced one with a g500s which I think will break soon.

If your logitech mouse has broke, then you may be able to a replacement from logitech.

I really dislike logitech mice. Both of my mx518s had cord issues and they replaced one with a g500s which I think will break soon.
4 Frags +

How is the new DA sensor inferior? I have one as a backup in case my g400s dies.

How is the new DA sensor inferior? I have one as a backup in case my g400s dies.
4 Frags +

I'll always support Zowie, if only because I really like their design principle, which is that they're going to take something like a mouse, and make one that is no-frills, but each element is the absolute best they can get.

Also, Zowie supported a TF2 tournament, giving away some cool swag to the winners and the like, which is something I think is worth supporting. Zowie gives me the feeling that they actually care about the various e-sports that people play.

I'll always support Zowie, if only because I really like their design principle, which is that they're going to take something like a mouse, and make one that is no-frills, but each element is the absolute best they can get.

Also, Zowie supported a TF2 tournament, giving away some cool swag to the winners and the like, which is something I think is worth supporting. Zowie gives me the feeling that they actually care about the various e-sports that people play.
6 Frags +

if anything the DA is known for having a *superior sensor... lol.

if anything the DA is known for having a *superior sensor... lol.
2 Frags +

I've had my DA 2012 for about 1 year and haven't had any problems whatsoever yet. I'd definitely recommend it.

I've had my DA 2012 for about 1 year and haven't had any problems whatsoever yet. I'd definitely recommend it.
2 Frags +

Zowie FK1 is pretty neat

Zowie FK1 is pretty neat
0 Frags +

2 Frags +
hooliHow is the new DA sensor inferior? I have one as a backup in case my g400s dies.

It has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)

[quote=hooli]How is the new DA sensor inferior? I have one as a backup in case my g400s dies.[/quote]
It has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)
-2 Frags +
stabbyIt has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)

The hell? I thought accel and prediction and skipping were the only things one had to avoid in a mouse sensor.

[quote=stabby]
It has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)[/quote]

The hell? I thought accel and prediction and skipping were the only things one had to avoid in a mouse sensor.
-2 Frags +

90% of mices have smoothing, some have very low smoothing almost not noticiable.. but they all have

90% of mices have smoothing, some have very low smoothing almost not noticiable.. but they all have
0 Frags +

Yeah, I'm saying the DA 2013 and g400s have smoothing noticeable to a large number of people. The g502 has none, so that's a plus.

Yeah, I'm saying the DA 2013 and g400s have smoothing noticeable to a large number of people. The g502 has none, so that's a plus.
0 Frags +
iridescentFUZZstabbyIt has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)

This guide covers the stuff to worry about concerning a sensor, and gives some nice mini-reviews of mice with quality sensors:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

[quote=iridescentFUZZ][quote=stabby]
It has excessive smoothing. As does the g400s ;)[/quote]

The hell? I thought accel and prediction and skipping were the only things one had to avoid in a mouse sensor.[/quote]
This guide covers the stuff to worry about concerning a sensor, and gives some nice mini-reviews of mice with quality sensors:

0 Frags +

What it's worth, my MX518 is 5 years old and fine. In my experience, the people having cord trouble with logitech mice are putting unnecessary strain on the cord and its connection to the mouse by not securing it at the edge of their desk. A piece of duct tape or a cable drop is substantially cheaper than a new mouse.

What it's worth, my MX518 is 5 years old and fine. In my experience, the people having cord trouble with logitech mice are putting unnecessary strain on the cord and its connection to the mouse by not securing it at the edge of their desk. A piece of duct tape or a cable drop is substantially cheaper than a new mouse.
2 Frags +

I haven't noticed any problems with my DA 2013's sensor, but my last mouse was an MX518 so I may just not be noticing the smoothing.

I think my next mouse will be a Zowie mouse though.

I haven't noticed any problems with my DA 2013's sensor, but my last mouse was an MX518 so I may just not be noticing the smoothing.

I think my next mouse will be a Zowie mouse though.
0 Frags +

http://www.overclock.net/t/1481639/logitech-g502-proteus-core-gaming-mouse-review-by-ino
seems to be pretty good from this review, doubt id ever buy it though, as non of the features seem necessary

http://www.overclock.net/t/1481639/logitech-g502-proteus-core-gaming-mouse-review-by-ino
seems to be pretty good from this review, doubt id ever buy it though, as non of the features seem necessary
0 Frags +
stabbyThis guide covers the stuff to worry about concerning a sensor, and gives some nice mini-reviews of mice with quality sensors:

That was informative, thanks.

[quote=stabby]This guide covers the stuff to worry about concerning a sensor, and gives some nice mini-reviews of mice with quality sensors:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0[/quote]

That was informative, thanks.
0 Frags +

too expensive, also there are rumors of a new G400 coming out.

too expensive, also there are rumors of a new G400 coming out.
0 Frags +

g402, actually. Not really a g400 variant.

g402, actually. Not really a g400 variant.
0 Frags +
stabbyg402, actually. Not really a g400 variant.

Errr.. that's what I meant to say.

Weight without cable is effectively identical to G400s - the product it's replacing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1499731/after-some-digging-around-web-the-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-mouse/340#post_22639226

also looks like it's ready for pre-orders.
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g402-hyperion-fury-fps-gaming-mouse

[quote=stabby]g402, actually. Not really a g400 variant.[/quote]
Errr.. that's what I meant to say.
[quote]Weight without cable is effectively identical to G400s - the product it's replacing.[/quote]
http://www.overclock.net/t/1499731/after-some-digging-around-web-the-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-mouse/340#post_22639226

0 Frags +

Had same one and moved to g500s. Same feel just with a bit more grip on the thumb area.

Had same one and moved to g500s. Same feel just with a bit more grip on the thumb area.
0 Frags +
jp_http://www.overclock.net/t/1499731/after-some-digging-around-web-the-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-mouse/340#post_22639226

Wow. Having just replaced my MX518 with a G400S a month ago, I don't know whether to be glad or disappointed.

[quote=jp_]http://www.overclock.net/t/1499731/after-some-digging-around-web-the-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-mouse/340#post_22639226

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g402-hyperion-fury-fps-gaming-mouse[/quote]

Wow. Having just replaced my MX518 with a G400S a month ago, I don't know whether to be glad or disappointed.
0 Frags +

So I ended up buying the g502. I sort of got used to it (used it for 20-30 hours maybe) so here's my opinion on it, if anyone's interested. For your info, I bought it for 80€

Good things about the mouse

At first touch, the mouse feels sticky, but in a good way. Unlike the G400, the fabric is more rubbery and offers a nice grip that ensures you hand won't slide if you sweat.
    As a palm grip user, the shape of the mouse offers a different grip than on the G400. If you've used or are using one, or a G500, you'll know what I’m talking about when I say those mice allow for your whole hand to rest on them. You can fully envelop your palm and finger around the mouse, at the exception of your pinky, if you've got big hands.
    The G502 is noticeably narrower. Your ring finger will most likely not fit on the mouse. So I've adapted my grip and find it to be most comfortable with my ring finger against the right wall of the mouse, and my pinky rests a little below it.
    So why is this in the good things about the mouse? Well that's very subjective, but I found that having a narrow mouse, that still allows to palm, gives a much tighter, neater feeling, whether im flicking or tracking. I feel like I have much more control over its movement.
    The sensor truly is spectacular. I had bought the mouse for its features, thinking I would not see a huge difference between it and the G400, but I did. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do the tests with the squiggly lines on a graph showing how it performs, but I can tell you tracking is spot on. The delay is negligible, the mouse allows for pixel-close accuracy tracking, and that combined with that tight feeling of the mouse makes it for me one of the best mouse Ive had so far.

Now the bad things

The design kind of looks like a R.A.T, which is a really bad thing. They made it look like a pro mlg gamer mouse. Sure Logitech never was really known for the sobriety or elegance, but they've really went a little to far in my opinion.
    It might be a defect with mine, but I noticed, when flicking to rj, sometimes the mouse sensor goes crazy. It aims as high as possible and turns around like crazy until you stop it. However, it only happened a couple of times, in my 30 hours playtime with it.
    Too many god damn buttons. Sniper button (never use), profile adjuster (never use), dpi up, dpi down (never use), macro button 1 (use to call for med), macro button 2 (never use), free-scroll wheel (very practical actually), mouse 1, 2 (they help a little). So out of 10 buttons, I use 4. Thankfully though, they are very well placed and so don’t cause much problems, miss-clicking etc...

In conclusion, very solid mouse, nice grip, amazing sensor, overall great product, although with too many unnecessary features. If I had the choice of getting a new free G400 or keep my G502, Id keeps the one I have.

So I ended up buying the g502. I sort of got used to it (used it for 20-30 hours maybe) so here's my opinion on it, if anyone's interested. For your info, I bought it for 80€

[u]Good things about the mouse[/u]
[list]At first touch, the mouse feels sticky, but in a good way. Unlike the G400, the fabric is more rubbery and offers a nice grip that ensures you hand won't slide if you sweat.
[/list]
[list]As a palm grip user, the shape of the mouse offers a different grip than on the G400. If you've used or are using one, or a G500, you'll know what I’m talking about when I say those mice allow for your whole hand to rest on them. You can fully envelop your palm and finger around the mouse, at the exception of your pinky, if you've got big hands.
The G502 is noticeably narrower. Your ring finger will most likely not fit on the mouse. So I've adapted my grip and find it to be most comfortable with my ring finger against the right wall of the mouse, and my pinky rests a little below it.
So why is this in the good things about the mouse? Well that's very subjective, but I found that having a narrow mouse, that still allows to palm, gives a much tighter, neater feeling, whether im flicking or tracking. I feel like I have much more control over its movement.
[/list]
[list]The sensor truly is spectacular. I had bought the mouse for its features, thinking I would not see a huge difference between it and the G400, but I did. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do the tests with the squiggly lines on a graph showing how it performs, but I can tell you tracking is spot on. The delay is negligible, the mouse allows for pixel-close accuracy tracking, and that combined with that tight feeling of the mouse makes it for me one of the best mouse Ive had so far.
[/list]

[u]Now the bad things[/u]
[list]The design kind of looks like a R.A.T, which is a really bad thing. They made it look like a pro mlg gamer mouse. Sure Logitech never was really known for the sobriety or elegance, but they've really went a little to far in my opinion.
[/list]
[list]It might be a defect with mine, but I noticed, when flicking to rj, sometimes the mouse sensor goes crazy. It aims as high as possible and turns around like crazy until you stop it. However, it only happened a couple of times, in my 30 hours playtime with it.
[/list]
[list]Too many god damn buttons. Sniper button (never use), profile adjuster (never use), dpi up, dpi down (never use), macro button 1 (use to call for med), macro button 2 (never use), free-scroll wheel (very practical actually), mouse 1, 2 (they help a little). So out of 10 buttons, I use 4. Thankfully though, they are very well placed and so don’t cause much problems, miss-clicking etc...
[/list]

In conclusion, very solid mouse, nice grip, amazing sensor, overall great product, although with too many unnecessary features. If I had the choice of getting a new free G400 or keep my G502, Id keeps the one I have.
1 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0k1TB7mTDE#t=39

"When an optical sensor fails due to excessive speed it can cause you to miss your targets or even worse"
"TO GO FASTER THAN THE HUMAN ARM CAN DO"
Basically this is a racing car?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0k1TB7mTDE#t=39[/youtube]
"When an optical sensor fails due to excessive speed it can cause you to miss your targets [b]or even worse[/b]"
"TO GO FASTER THAN THE HUMAN ARM CAN DO"
Basically this is a racing car?
0 Frags +

Update your firmware and do the surface quality analysis thing for your pad to fix the tracking error.

I gave up on the g502...too damn heavy :( I'm bummed the g402 isn't using the same sensor.

Update your firmware and do the surface quality analysis thing for your pad to fix the tracking error.

I gave up on the g502...too damn heavy :( I'm bummed the g402 isn't using the same sensor.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.