Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
TF2 not launching
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

So, recently I changed the name of the file my Steam was in and my entire Steam stopped working. I set it up again but unfortunately TF2 has stopped working? I still have the TF2 files under Steam>SteamApps but it isn't listed in my Steam library. When I try to open hl2 the error message "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting" appears because I bound TF2 to launch in a windowed mode, but I can't change my properties since it isn't in my library. Any advice?

So, recently I changed the name of the file my Steam was in and my entire Steam stopped working. I set it up again but unfortunately TF2 has stopped working? I still have the TF2 files under Steam>SteamApps but it isn't listed in my Steam library. When I try to open hl2 the error message "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting" appears because I bound TF2 to launch in a windowed mode, but I can't change my properties since it isn't in my library. Any advice?
0 Frags +

In steam, go through the motions of redownloading tf2 (search for the game, click install, etc) and as long as your tf2 folder is actually named correctly steam will notice it and go through verifying all the files. Once that's done (takes maybe half an hour) it will download anything necessary and then you should be able to play again.

In steam, go through the motions of redownloading tf2 (search for the game, click install, etc) and as long as your tf2 folder is actually named correctly steam will notice it and go through verifying all the files. Once that's done (takes maybe half an hour) it will download anything necessary and then you should be able to play again.
0 Frags +

Okay, I'll try that out. Thank you!

Okay, I'll try that out. Thank you!
0 Frags +

It doesn't look like steam is noticing the TF2 folder? The time remaining for the download is 19 hours.

It doesn't look like steam is noticing the TF2 folder? The time remaining for the download is 19 hours.
1 Frags +

You cant just change the folder names of Steam.

The shortcuts and filepath associations get coded based on where it is. Essentially you need to let steam know every time you change.

I think your best bet might be reinstall steam in that new directory, and then drag the game folders (common, drisks, etc) into the new directory from the fresh install.

Theres a way to do it with clientregistry.blob and clearing the whole steam folder but I've lost save data before doing this so I'd play it safe and keep all your stuff backed up .

You cant just change the folder names of Steam.

The shortcuts and filepath associations get coded based on where it is. Essentially you need to let steam know every time you change.

I think your best bet might be reinstall steam in that new directory, and then drag the game folders (common, drisks, etc) into the new directory from the fresh install.

Theres a way to do it with clientregistry.blob and clearing the whole steam folder but I've lost save data before doing this so I'd play it safe and keep all your stuff backed up .
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.