Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
What is the best way to practise while offline?
0 Frags +

My internet has been shitting out quite a bit lately, so I am looking for tips on how I can try to get better without being connected to the internet. I mean custom maps, custom modes, anything that you think can help. I don't expect to improve gamesense without actually playing games so thus far I've been doing a lot of tr_aim_training_b13 and tr_arena_rc1 to work on DM. Any tips are appreciated.

My internet has been shitting out quite a bit lately, so I am looking for tips on how I can try to get better without being connected to the internet. I mean custom maps, custom modes, anything that you think can help. I don't expect to improve gamesense without actually playing games so thus far I've been doing a lot of tr_aim_training_b13 and tr_arena_rc1 to work on DM. Any tips are appreciated.
13 Frags +

tr_newbots tr_walkway_rc2 tr_rocket_shooting2

tr_newbots tr_walkway_rc2 tr_rocket_shooting2
-34 Frags +

Borderlands 2, it's almost entirely projectile with varying speed and I don't think it's airshot friendly but it's fun anyways.

Borderlands 2, it's almost entirely projectile with varying speed and I don't think it's airshot friendly but it's fun anyways.
9 Frags +

Jumpmaps

Jumpmaps
6 Frags +

Newbots is really good but I don't know how people play it for hours at a time

Newbots is really good but I don't know how people play it for hours at a time
6 Frags +

is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?

is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?
4 Frags +
neekois there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?

afaik no, but you can turn on infinite health/ammo

you could also do surf maps

[quote=neeko]is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?[/quote]

2 Frags +
Protatoneekois there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?afaik no, but you can turn on infinite health/ammo

How can I do surf maps offline? Don't you need to access a hidden cvar which you can't change from the console.

[quote=Protato][quote=neeko]is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?[/quote]

you could also do surf maps[/quote]

How can I do surf maps offline? Don't you need to access a hidden cvar which you can't change from the console.
1 Frags +
DeetrProtatoneekois there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?afaik no, but you can turn on infinite health/ammo

Install metamod and sourcemod to your local tf/addons folder, then get the surf plugins (there's a TFTV thread about the old ones, so search for surfiT) and throw those in there as well. Then in the launch options type -insecure and the plugins will load. Just remove -insecure to stop them from loading

[quote=Deetr][quote=Protato][quote=neeko]is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?[/quote]

you could also do surf maps[/quote]

How can I do surf maps offline? Don't you need to access a hidden cvar which you can't change from the console.[/quote]

Install metamod and sourcemod to your local tf/addons folder, then get the surf plugins (there's a TFTV thread about the old ones, so search for surfiT) and throw those in there as well. Then in the launch options type -insecure and the plugins will load. Just remove -insecure to stop them from loading
-11 Frags +

You can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

For TF2, you need to join a surf server (which requires internet), then create your own server (offline).

You can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

For TF2, you need to join a surf server (which requires internet), then create your own server (offline).
5 Frags +
MR_SLINYou can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

Nah man my way works fine I've been doing it for months

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/14381/it-servers-shutting-down/?page=1

there's the surf plugins

Edit: I think you have to make the server.cfg into listen.cfg and put it in your cfg folder.

[quote=MR_SLIN]You can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

For TF2, you need to join a surf server (which requires internet), then create your own server (offline).[/quote]

there's the surf plugins

Edit: I think you have to make the server.cfg into listen.cfg and put it in your cfg folder.
2 Frags +
Mr_OwlMR_SLINYou can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

there's the surf plugins

Yup this works, thanks

[quote=Mr_Owl][quote=MR_SLIN]You can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

For TF2, you need to join a surf server (which requires internet), then create your own server (offline).[/quote]

there's the surf plugins

Edit: I think you have to make the server.cfg into listen.cfg and put it in your cfg folder.[/quote]

Yup this works, thanks
-2 Frags +

I've been wondering if there's any way to rejig the directs map cfgs ('connecting pipes like a plumber') to work on tr_newbots/arena. There probably is but the player's respawn location would also have to be changed unless you just turn the spawn health up so no one dies. But that can be done more easily anyway :|

I've been wondering if there's any way to rejig the directs map cfgs ('connecting pipes like a plumber') to work on tr_newbots/arena. There probably is but the player's respawn location would also have to be changed unless you just turn the spawn health up so no one dies. But that can be done more easily anyway :|
-2 Frags +

csgo harmless bots for aim B^)

csgo harmless bots for aim B^)
-1 Frags +
shampooconditionercsgo harmless bots for aim B^)

Can't play without an Internet connection, even offline

[quote=shampooconditioner]csgo harmless bots for aim B^)[/quote]

Can't play without an Internet connection, even offline
-3 Frags +

Grind jump_DiirtyxWeezy untill my wrist bleed

Grind jump_DiirtyxWeezy untill my wrist bleed
0 Frags +

I've been practicing mostly offline for the past month (and will for the next 2 as well :< ). Started with tyler_rocketshooting and tr_airshot, now I'm on tr_arena which I find really useful since you can make bots jump and surf your rockets. What I do is I put on health refresh and just keep shooting till it get's too monotonous, then I just load up any ol' map and jump about.

I've been practicing mostly offline for the past month (and will for the next 2 as well :< ). Started with tyler_rocketshooting and tr_airshot, now I'm on tr_arena which I find really useful since you can make bots jump and surf your rockets. What I do is I put on health refresh and just keep shooting till it get's too monotonous, then I just load up any ol' map and jump about.
1 Frags +
neekois there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?

sv_cheats 1
spec_freeze_time 0

If you are in a server with sourcemod...

!sm_cvar spec_freeze_time 0

[quote=neeko]is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?[/quote]

sv_cheats 1
spec_freeze_time 0

-1 Frags +

i dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them

i dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them
-2 Frags +
dingoi dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them

They help me with keeping my mouse movement smooth. Plus they're less mind numbing than newbots or whatever. They're definitely no replacement for actual dm practice though.

[quote=dingo]i dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them[/quote]

They help me with keeping my mouse movement smooth. Plus they're less mind numbing than newbots or whatever. They're definitely no replacement for actual dm practice though.
-1 Frags +
Mr_OwlInstall metamod and sourcemod to your local tf/addons folder, then get the surf plugins (there's a TFTV thread about the old ones, so search for surfiT) and throw those in there as well. Then in the launch options type -insecure and the plugins will load. Just remove -insecure to stop them from loading

When I start TF2 with -insecure my game instantly crashes, and if I try to take -insecure off and load a surf map it doesn't load the surf plugins. Is there a file I need to configure?

[quote=Mr_Owl]Install metamod and sourcemod to your local tf/addons folder, then get the surf plugins (there's a TFTV thread about the old ones, so search for surfiT) and throw those in there as well. Then in the launch options type -insecure and the plugins will load. Just remove -insecure to stop them from loading[/quote]
When I start TF2 with -insecure my game instantly crashes, and if I try to take -insecure off and load a surf map it doesn't load the surf plugins. Is there a file I need to configure?
-1 Frags +

I'm not sure, I didn't have that problem. Try doing it with a clean config to see if that changes anything.

I'm not sure, I didn't have that problem. Try doing it with a clean config to see if that changes anything.
0 Frags +

I ran -autoconfig and tried again with no luck. I reread your post and realized I put the addons folders etc. in my custom folder instead of the tf folder, but that still didn't change anything..

EDIT: okay im too tired to do anything right apparently, I didn't move the surf plugins to my tf folder and that was causing the crash, heh..

I ran -autoconfig and tried again with no luck. I reread your post and realized I put the addons folders etc. in my custom folder instead of the tf folder, but that still didn't change anything..

EDIT: okay im too tired to do anything right apparently, I didn't move the surf plugins to my tf folder and that was causing the crash, heh..
0 Frags +

Glad you figured it out

Glad you figured it out
0 Frags +

I like to use a command like:
net_fakelag 40
(or just enter what your usual ping is)
when practicing offline, so it feels the same when online

I like to use a command like:
net_fakelag 40
(or just enter what your usual ping is)
when practicing offline, so it feels the same when online
0 Frags +
MR_SLINYou can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

slin this may come as a shock to you but not everyone enjoys surfing :|

[quote=MR_SLIN]You can do surf maps online if you download them for counterstrike, but you can't do it for TF2.

slin this may come as a shock to you but not everyone enjoys surfing :|
1 Frags +
Mr_Owldingoi dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them

ive definitely never felt that i could gain anything from surfing
or that it helped me at all

[quote=Mr_Owl][quote=dingo]i dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them[/quote]

They help me with keeping my mouse movement smooth. Plus they're less mind numbing than newbots or whatever. They're definitely no replacement for actual dm practice though.[/quote]
0 Frags +
oleneekois there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?
sv_cheats 1
spec_freeze_time 0

the respawn is alot faster thank you

[quote=ole][quote=neeko]is there a way to make the bots respawn quicker in newbots?[/quote]

sv_cheats 1
spec_freeze_time 0

!sm_cvar spec_freeze_time 0[/quote]

the respawn is alot faster thank you
-2 Frags +
dingoMr_Owldingoi dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them

I mean I still have subopen dm on every class after hundreds of hours of surfing so I'm not gonna pretend like it made me good but I do feel like my movement is smoother after surfing

[quote=dingo][quote=Mr_Owl][quote=dingo]i dont get how surf maps could help you but you could just download a shit ton of demos and watch them[/quote]

They help me with keeping my mouse movement smooth. Plus they're less mind numbing than newbots or whatever. They're definitely no replacement for actual dm practice though.[/quote]
or that it helped me at all[/quote]

I mean I still have subopen dm on every class after hundreds of hours of surfing so I'm not gonna pretend like it made me good but I do feel like my movement is smoother after surfing
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.