Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
Bizarre TF2 Crash
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

When jumping, either a water splash noise or what seems to be a keyboard click noise is made.
Then, when somebody dies (anybody in my server), my game crashes.

Preceding these crashes, I was using Chris' dx9 frames config. They only started occurring when I switched to his maxframes config with a low lod in ATI Tray Tools. Since then I have tried:

Changing mat_queue_mode to "-1" in my fps config (previously "2")
Validating my game cache files
Using Chris' maxframes config with dx95
Using Chris' dx9 frames config with dx95 (this no longer worked)
Putting "-autoconfig" in my launch options
Removing the fps configs entirely
Setting Texture Lod Adjustment to 0 in ATI Tray Tools
Ending the ATI Tray Tools process in the task manager

None of these attempts was able to fix the problem.

Could a config guru please help?

When jumping, either a water splash noise or what seems to be a keyboard click noise is made.
Then, when somebody dies (anybody in my server), my game crashes.

Preceding these crashes, I was using Chris' dx9 frames config. They only started occurring when I switched to his maxframes config with a low lod in ATI Tray Tools. Since then I have tried:

[size=10]Changing mat_queue_mode to "-1" in my fps config (previously "2")
Validating my game cache files
Using Chris' maxframes config with dx95
Using Chris' dx9 frames config with dx95 (this no longer worked)
Putting "-autoconfig" in my launch options
Removing the fps configs entirely
Setting Texture Lod Adjustment to 0 in ATI Tray Tools
Ending the ATI Tray Tools process in the task manager[/size]

None of these attempts was able to fix the problem.

Could a config guru please help?
2 Frags +

I had a similar crash but it was related to choosing a class. I had to delete my fps config and get a new one.

not sure about your issue though.

I had a similar crash but it was related to choosing a class. I had to delete my fps config and get a new one.

not sure about your issue though.
0 Frags +

Did you have those strange sounds too?

Did you have those strange sounds too?
1 Frags +

 

 
0 Frags +
SnowshoeReset TF2 settings completely:

- Disable Steam Cloud (Settings > Cloud > Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for applications which support it")
- Delete the "userdata" folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\ or C:\Program Files\Steam\
- Delete config.cfg and remove any other configs or scripts you are using

That should do it for most people, you may need to run -autoconfig again after that (remove it after first launch) because Chris configs mess with video settings.

Thanks a lot, I'll try this now and tell you how it goes.

[quote=Snowshoe]Reset TF2 settings completely:

- Disable Steam Cloud (Settings > Cloud > Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for applications which support it")
- Delete the "userdata" folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\ or C:\Program Files\Steam\
- Delete config.cfg and remove any other configs or scripts you are using

That should do it for most people, you may need to run -autoconfig again after that (remove it after first launch) because Chris configs mess with video settings.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, I'll try this now and tell you how it goes.
0 Frags +

Right. Well, that unfortunately didn't fix the problem, even with -autoconfig in my launch options.

Thank you though for the considered response.

This might have isolated P-Rec as the problem (fingers crossed!).

Right. Well, that unfortunately didn't fix the problem, even with -autoconfig in my launch options.

Thank you though for the considered response.

This might have isolated P-Rec as the problem (fingers crossed!).
0 Frags +

P-Rec is not the problem.

However...

It was my custom surfaceproperties.txt file! Do not use one of these! (custom\%username%\scripts\surfaceproperties.txt)

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response though, it really helped me isolate the problem.

P-Rec is not the problem.

However...

It was my custom surfaceproperties.txt file! Do not use one of these! (custom\%username%\scripts\surfaceproperties.txt)

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response though, it really helped me isolate the problem.
2 Frags +

I've been using it for a couple of years I never had any problem with that specific file, Solomon. It's possible that your file might be corrupted, so here's the one I use if you wanna test it:
http://notepad.cc/surfaceproperties-txt

I've been using it for a couple of years I never had any problem with that specific file, Solomon. It's possible that your file might be corrupted, so here's the one I use if you wanna test it:
http://notepad.cc/surfaceproperties-txt
0 Frags +

surface properties would explain it now that i think about it. especially since particles of water were crashing you.

surface properties would explain it now that i think about it. especially since particles of water were crashing you.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.