Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
How to fully use demos?
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

I've started editing my demos to be displayed on my youtube channel (www.youtube.com/user/danpixed). But by observing other frag videos, apparently you can record "freecam" footage. Can anyone explain how to move a camera freely within the demo? Is it something to do with demo smoothing?

I've started editing my demos to be displayed on my youtube channel (www.youtube.com/user/danpixed). But by observing other frag videos, apparently you can record "freecam" footage. Can anyone explain how to move a camera freely within the demo? Is it something to do with demo smoothing?
4 Frags +

There are two ways, smooths and stv. Stv is by far easier to work with but the things you can do with it are limited. Smooths are a gigantic pain in the ass to create but they look good when done right. You can do STV free cam shots from an stv demo and smooths from a pov, but you can't do either one from the other type of demo.

Also you might wanna try something that isn't 2fort skial frags..

There are two ways, smooths and stv. Stv is by far easier to work with but the things you can do with it are limited. Smooths are a gigantic pain in the ass to create but they look good when done right. You can do STV free cam shots from an stv demo and smooths from a pov, but you can't do either one from the other type of demo.

Also you might wanna try something that isn't 2fort skial frags..
0 Frags +

yeah... I go there for some fun sniping, thanks for watching my channel btw. What is the difference between stv and pov demos?

obsidiianYou can do STV free cam shots from an stv demo and smooths from a pov, but you can't do either one from the other type of demo.
yeah... I go there for some fun sniping, thanks for watching my channel btw. What is the difference between stv and pov demos?
[quote=obsidiian]You can do STV free cam shots from an stv demo and smooths from a pov, but you can't do either one from the other type of demo.[/quote]
0 Frags +

pov stands for point of view, it's a demo that was recorded by a player, and the demo will only show things from their view. you can smooth these demos to move the camera around and get different shots.

stv demos are recorded by the server and record all of the action that happens. with these you can go to other players views and see everything that's happening anywhere on the map at any given time. to get these the server has to be running sourcetv and be set to record demos, so you usually won't find these outside of scrims/matches.

pov stands for point of view, it's a demo that was recorded by a player, and the demo will only show things from their view. you can smooth these demos to move the camera around and get different shots.

stv demos are recorded by the server and record all of the action that happens. with these you can go to other players views and see everything that's happening anywhere on the map at any given time. to get these the server has to be running sourcetv and be set to record demos, so you usually won't find these outside of scrims/matches.
1 Frags +

Valve really needs to make things easier... thanks for the information though. SMOOTHS ARE ANNOYING

Valve really needs to make things easier... thanks for the information though. SMOOTHS ARE ANNOYING
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.