Upvote Upvoted 11 Downvote Downvoted
Follow button on tf.tv streams
huds.tf
0 Frags +

Not sure if this has ever been considered, but perhaps a follow button on the tf.tv stream page for the streamer you're watching?

I mean yeah you could click the video and go to twitch and do it that way, but just for simplicity's sake I think it would be handy and supportive.

Not sure if this has ever been considered, but perhaps a follow button on the tf.tv stream page for the streamer you're watching?

I mean yeah you could click the video and go to twitch and do it that way, but just for simplicity's sake I think it would be handy and supportive.
1 Frags +

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/8909/follow-channel-button

Doesn't seem possible, unless this has changed.

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/8909/follow-channel-button

Doesn't seem possible, unless this has changed.
0 Frags +

has anybody looked into the twitch api if it has one? im sure there is something in there.

with some googling i found this page which spells out the possibility here, http://dev.twitch.tv/ i have no clue how to implement but if whomever adds me i could help possibly.

has anybody looked into the twitch api if it has one? im sure there is something in there.

with some googling i found this page which spells out the possibility here, http://dev.twitch.tv/ i have no clue how to implement but if whomever adds me i could help possibly.
1 Frags +

https://github.com/justintv/Twitch-API/blob/master/v2_resources/follows.md#put-usersuserfollowschannelstarget

Twitch REST API supports a PUT request to follow a channel, but it requires an OAuth token in the header. The end result is that you'd need users to log in twice on tf.tv (once for normal login, once for twitch login), which is unnecessary and a bad user experience.

https://github.com/justintv/Twitch-API/blob/master/v2_resources/follows.md#put-usersuserfollowschannelstarget

Twitch REST API supports a PUT request to follow a channel, but it requires an OAuth token in the header. The end result is that you'd need users to log in twice on tf.tv (once for normal login, once for twitch login), which is unnecessary and a bad user experience.
-1 Frags +

That's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

Another solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.

That's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

Another solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.
0 Frags +
flameAnother solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.

from my experiences with the twitch API this is fairly easy with an option in the TFTV settings page to "connect to twitch."

[quote=flame]Another solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.[/quote]
from my experiences with the twitch API this is fairly easy with an option in the TFTV settings page to "connect to twitch."
0 Frags +
flameThat's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

My point is that you'd have to set up an OAuth system on tf.tv, have people log into their twitch accounts even if they're already logged into twitch (in order to authenticate them through our third party application), and store their OAuth token in the database, all for the net effect of making it one less click to follow a streamer?

In my opinion, the tf.tv streaming system would need to provide a larger incentive for people to connect with their twitch credentials to make such a system worth it. There are a lot of interesting things you can do once you authenticate with a user.

[quote=flame]That's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

Another solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.[/quote]

My point is that you'd have to set up an OAuth system on tf.tv, have people log into their twitch accounts even if they're already logged into twitch (in order to authenticate them through our third party application), and store their OAuth token in the database, all for the net effect of making it one less click to follow a streamer?

In my opinion, the tf.tv streaming system would need to provide a larger incentive for people to connect with their twitch credentials to make such a system worth it. There are a lot of interesting things you can do once you authenticate with a user.
0 Frags +
MasterKuniflameThat's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

oauth isn't as bad as you're making it out to be in terms of implementation. most of the code is already there for big languages.

[quote=MasterKuni][quote=flame]That's not bad user experience... nor is it unnecessary... it's common practice.

Another solution may be to link twitch accounts to tftv accounts but that might be more difficult than it sounds.[/quote]

In my opinion, the tf.tv streaming system would need to provide a larger incentive for people to connect with their twitch credentials to make such a system worth it. There are a lot of interesting things you can do once you authenticate with a user.[/quote]
oauth isn't as bad as you're making it out to be in terms of implementation. most of the code is already there for big languages.
0 Frags +
mthsadoauth isn't as bad as you're making it out to be in terms of implementation. most of the code is already there for big languages.

You could well be right. In the end, it's ultimately enigma's decision anyways

[quote=mthsad]
oauth isn't as bad as you're making it out to be in terms of implementation. most of the code is already there for big languages.[/quote]

You could well be right. In the end, it's ultimately enigma's decision anyways
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.