Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
TF2 crashing on startup
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

sorry for yet another crash thread but I am beyond stumped as to what is causing this.

basically, my tf2 crashes during the valve intro vid that plays on start up, or crashes before the main menu has loaded if i start with -novid. i have literally tried everything to fix it, including verifying game files, removing anything custom and fresh installs. the only way to get it working again is to uninstall steam completely and reinstall (just reinstalling tf2 itself doesnt work). this will make it work if I load it up 2 or 3 times, but then if i try to open it later on in the day it starts crashing again.

any ideas? :S

sorry for yet another crash thread but I am beyond stumped as to what is causing this.

basically, my tf2 crashes during the valve intro vid that plays on start up, or crashes before the main menu has loaded if i start with -novid. i have literally tried everything to fix it, including verifying game files, removing anything custom and fresh installs. the only way to get it working again is to uninstall steam completely and reinstall (just reinstalling tf2 itself doesnt work). this will make it work if I load it up 2 or 3 times, but then if i try to open it later on in the day it starts crashing again.

any ideas? :S
0 Frags +

remove your config folder and put -autoconfig into your launch options

remove your config folder and put -autoconfig into your launch options
0 Frags +

already done it, doesnt work, thanks though.

ive also ran steam://flushconfig, started with every -dxlevel, gone through and deleted each folder in tf one by one etc etc...

i forgot to mention that i dont get an error message when the game crashes, it just goes to desktop with no warning. in addition, my specs:

intel i5 3.30 ghz
radeon hd 6600
8gb ram

already done it, doesnt work, thanks though.

ive also ran steam://flushconfig, started with every -dxlevel, gone through and deleted each folder in tf one by one etc etc...

i forgot to mention that i dont get an error message when the game crashes, it just goes to desktop with no warning. in addition, my specs:

intel i5 3.30 ghz
radeon hd 6600
8gb ram
0 Frags +

Update your drivers if not already done.

Try to verify game cache as well.

Did you tried to go a complete uninstall and reinstall of Steam and TF2 as well?

Update your drivers if not already done.

Try to verify game cache as well.

Did you tried to go a complete uninstall and reinstall of Steam and TF2 as well?
0 Frags +

yeah updated drivers, directx etc. game cache has been verified every now and then and when folders in /tf have been deleted.

this is what i find weird - if i uninstall tf2, reboot, install tf2 and try to launch it, it will still crash. however, if i uninstall steam (which uninstalls tf2) and then install steam and tf2, tf2 will then work for a few hours before it starts crashing again. i have never experienced anything like it, there is no reason for the game to suddenly start crashing if i am not using any custom cfgs or huds

yeah updated drivers, directx etc. game cache has been verified every now and then and when folders in /tf have been deleted.

this is what i find weird - if i uninstall tf2, reboot, install tf2 and try to launch it, it will still crash. however, if i uninstall steam (which uninstalls tf2) and then install steam and tf2, tf2 will then work for a few hours before it starts crashing again. i have never experienced anything like it, there is no reason for the game to suddenly start crashing if i am not using any custom cfgs or huds
0 Frags +
sacred2850yeah updated drivers, directx etc. game cache has been verified every now and then and when folders in /tf have been deleted.

Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.

[quote=sacred2850]yeah updated drivers, directx etc. game cache has been verified every now and then and when folders in /tf have been deleted.

this is what i find weird - if i uninstall tf2, reboot, install tf2 and try to launch it, it will still crash. however, if i uninstall steam (which uninstalls tf2) and then install steam and tf2, tf2 will then work for a few hours before it starts crashing again. i have never experienced anything like it, there is no reason for the game to suddenly start crashing if i am not using any custom cfgs or huds[/quote]

Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.
-1 Frags +

Are you participating in Steam Beta? if yes, opt out

Are you participating in Steam Beta? if yes, opt out
0 Frags +
m0nkei Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.

I couldnt find either of those files? according to google clientregistery.blob isnt used anymore: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3226413

popcorpAre you participating in Steam Beta? if yes, opt out

i am not :/

[quote=m0nkei] Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.[/quote]

I couldnt find either of those files? according to google clientregistery.blob isnt used anymore: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3226413

[quote=popcorp]Are you participating in Steam Beta? if yes, opt out[/quote]

i am not :/
0 Frags +
sacred2850m0nkei Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.
I couldnt find either of those files? according to google clientregistery.blob isnt used anymore

if you read more of that thread they say it is

[quote=sacred2850][quote=m0nkei] Try to delete AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob and tell me if it works.[/quote]

I couldnt find either of those files? according to google clientregistery.blob isnt used anymore[/quote]

if you read more of that thread they say it is
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.