Upvote Upvoted 8 Downvote Downvoted
FLan 2015 Discussion - Need community input
0 Frags +

http://i.imgur.com/338KZpD.png

Alright guys.

So currently I'm in the beginning stages of planning the next FLan fest. The most important part is being the date.
Currently I have two spots in mind and I would like some input as to which may be better.

Weekend of March 14th
or
Weekend of May 9th

I picked out these dates because they fall on either Spring Break or after the school semester has ended for those players still in college.
Which would y'all feel is a better pick?

Next

Entry Fee
The next FLan will be strictly for the players. The charity was nice and fun but keeping up so many lines of connection for that was mind numbing. I was thinking of doing this next event for just you guys. Bumping up the entry fee would allow for not only a nicer prize pool but would cover any additional costs for the venue folks for using up not just 12 PCs, but 18. Yes, we are going to eat the whole ass on this next FLan. Highlander is happening.
What would you guys find as a fair entry fee?
30?
40?

Additionally, having this as a non-charity event severs the need to have this Live Casted by us. We can still open the stv for outside players to live cast, and then those who enjoyed casting (Row, Lafaa) can hop in. But it's not essential.

Final note
I'm starting to plan out the new website. I'm hoping to get an online registration form where players can sign up and pay online. Maybe even list the registered players and teams so we can see who's going to attend. The thing is, all I know is strictly HTML and not sure where to start. If anyone that has any experience on that can give me a bit of guidance on where to start looking I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys, you rock.

-Miggy

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/338KZpD.png[/IMG]

Alright guys.

So currently I'm in the beginning stages of planning the next FLan fest. The most important part is being the date.
Currently I have two spots in mind and I would like some input as to which may be better.

Weekend of March 14th
or
Weekend of May 9th

I picked out these dates because they fall on either Spring Break or after the school semester has ended for those players still in college.
Which would y'all feel is a better pick?

Next

Entry Fee
The next FLan will be strictly for the players. The charity was nice and fun but keeping up so many lines of connection for that was mind numbing. I was thinking of doing this next event for just you guys. Bumping up the entry fee would allow for not only a nicer prize pool but would cover any additional costs for the venue folks for using up not just 12 PCs, but 18. Yes, we are going to eat the whole ass on this next FLan. Highlander is happening.
What would you guys find as a fair entry fee?
30?
40?

Additionally, having this as a non-charity event severs the need to have this Live Casted by us. We can still open the stv for outside players to live cast, and then those who enjoyed casting (Row, Lafaa) can hop in. But it's not essential.

Final note
I'm starting to plan out the new website. I'm hoping to get an online registration form where players can sign up and pay online. [B]Maybe[/B] even list the registered players [B]and[/B] teams so we can see who's going to attend. The thing is, all I know is strictly HTML and not sure where to start. If anyone that has any experience on that can give me a bit of guidance on where to start looking I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys, you rock.

-Miggy
1 Frags +

March sounds good to me. Also I wouldn't mind paying $30 or $40, other players might feel differently though.
For the website, a great tool would be Adobe Muse. Some think it's design cheating, but it's great for making websites without coding. Otherwise try finding someone willing to help either here or Reddit. Cheers and can't wait for the next one!

March sounds good to me. Also I wouldn't mind paying $30 or $40, other players might feel differently though.
For the website, a great tool would be Adobe Muse. Some think it's design cheating, but it's great for making websites without coding. Otherwise try finding someone willing to help either here or Reddit. Cheers and can't wait for the next one!
0 Frags +

i'm kinda poor, so 30-40 sounds like a lot, but hey, if the majority is good with it, then i am. I just gotta find a way to go.

i'm kinda poor, so 30-40 sounds like a lot, but hey, if the majority is good with it, then i am. I just gotta find a way to go.
0 Frags +

March may, ahaha, be the better option since there are classes and finals in May for most people. The fee sounds okay I suppose. Any idea what coast of Florida or where the lan will or possibly can be.

March [i]may[/i], ahaha, be the better option since there are classes and finals in May for most people. The fee sounds okay I suppose. Any idea what coast of Florida or where the lan will or possibly can be.
-3 Frags +

May I just voice my concern of getting people to sign up that want to play heavy/engineer/medic for a highlander game? 18 people signed up would be no problem, but most would want scout, soldier I would guess.

Highlander seems difficult to just "make teams when we're all there" because of how risky it would be to get 2 of each class. Sure, someone can play a class they may have never played so that Highlander can be played, but if they don't know enough about their class it could be rough.

Fee is pretty stiff imo but if that means we have the whole gaming center to ourselves I'd say that's not horrible.

May I just voice my concern of getting people to sign up that want to play heavy/engineer/medic for a highlander game? 18 people signed up would be no problem, but most would want scout, soldier I would guess.

Highlander seems difficult to just "make teams when we're all there" because of how risky it would be to get 2 of each class. Sure, someone can play a class they may have never played so that Highlander can be played, but if they don't know enough about their class it could be rough.

Fee is pretty stiff imo but if that means we have the whole gaming center to ourselves I'd say that's not horrible.
1 Frags +

So far I've been getting some nice feed back.
I know esea wouldn't have any interest in this lan. I'm considering getting in contact with UGC or CEVO to see if they'd be interested in "sponsoring" the event (promotion-wise).
It would increase the turnout rate which would lead to a nice prize pool for the winning team.

Also, already Currently working on a new site.

One of the features that will be included is an online schedule for all to see and what teams will be playing. Registered players without teams will also be listed so that they may get a team together if they wish; HOWEVER, I will be working with someone else who will help me ensure that no team becomes to OP.

I would love it if we could get whole teams to show up at the event...

So far I've been getting some nice feed back.
I know esea wouldn't have any interest in this lan. I'm considering getting in contact with UGC or CEVO to see if they'd be interested in "sponsoring" the event (promotion-wise).
It would increase the turnout rate which would lead to a nice prize pool for the winning team.

Also, already Currently working on a new site.

One of the features that will be included is an online schedule for all to see and what teams will be playing. Registered players without teams will also be listed so that they may get a team together if they wish; HOWEVER, I will be working with someone else who will help me ensure that no team becomes to OP.

I would love it if we could get whole teams to show up at the event...
0 Frags +

The new site is coming along very nicely, can't wait until it's done.
http://ngongames.com/

The new site is coming along very nicely, can't wait until it's done.
http://ngongames.com/
3 Frags +

Looking for a helping hand

As before I'm putting in a bunch of cash out of pocket to get this going because I love this community and I love comp tf2. However, whereas last time I was able to toss in 500 bucks + entry fees brought in around 130 for every player on the winning team. This time around I will be putting in 450 cash this time (50 to each player on winning team) combined with the entry fee should bring in a good 130 (Gasp, the same. Math!) to each player on winning team (If we can get a minimum of four teams, which isn't that hard). I'll also be raffling off items again like I did previously, however this time around I will raffle of 1 bud and 2 bills PLUS the Medic and MVP of the winning team will each receive a bud.

Here's where I need help. I want this tournament to attract at least 2-4 more teams so we can get a bracket style tournament instead of round robin. Easily the best way to do this is make it more lucrative for players to come which could be done through having a bigger prize pool. I'm looking for at least 2-3 sponsors to help chip in to the prize pool. You will be listed as a sponsor on the webpage (Still working on the new version of the site since I wasn't too happy how my old site came out. I have a preview up at http://ngongames.com) and you are more than welcome to advertise at the event if you wish to come. I would also be more than happy to have your logo displayed on the twitch stream. If you have some ideas I'm sure we can work something out.
If you're interested, or know someone who might be please send me a PM or just add me on steam. Thank you.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/migeto

Looking for a helping hand

As before I'm putting in a bunch of cash out of pocket to get this going because I love this community and I love comp tf2. However, whereas last time I was able to toss in 500 bucks + entry fees brought in around 130 for every player on the winning team. This time around I will be putting in 450 cash this time (50 to each player on winning team) combined with the entry fee should bring in a good 130 (Gasp, the same. Math!) to each player on winning team (If we can get a minimum of four teams, which isn't that hard). I'll also be raffling off items again like I did previously, however this time around I will raffle of 1 bud and 2 bills PLUS the Medic and MVP of the winning team will each receive a bud.

Here's where I need help. I want this tournament to attract at least 2-4 more teams so we can get a bracket style tournament instead of round robin. Easily the best way to do this is make it more lucrative for players to come which could be done through having a bigger prize pool. I'm looking for at least 2-3 sponsors to help chip in to the prize pool. You will be listed as a sponsor on the webpage (Still working on the new version of the site since I wasn't too happy how my old site came out. I have a preview up at http://ngongames.com) and you are more than welcome to advertise at the event if you wish to come. I would also be more than happy to have your logo displayed on the twitch stream. If you have some ideas I'm sure we can work something out.
If you're interested, or know someone who might be please send me a PM or just add me on steam. Thank you.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/migeto
-2 Frags +

wait i'm confused i looked in the site and didn't find any information on where this lan is even held

wait i'm confused i looked in the site and didn't find any information on where this lan is even held
2 Frags +

That's cause it's an image, a preview of what it will look like.
The venue is Versus Gaming Center in Pompano Beach, FL
750 E Sample Rd Pompano Beach, Florida

That's cause it's an image, a preview of what it will look like.
The venue is Versus Gaming Center in Pompano Beach, FL
750 E Sample Rd Pompano Beach, Florida
2 Frags +

Going to meet with a PC company very early next week to see if they'd be interested in sponsoring the event.

If it does pans out here are somethings we might expect to change:
The rigs at the last event were good, these would be just as good if not better
120hz+ monitors
More than likely some gear giveaways from them
More than likely they would want me to bring in a tourney for a second game and make this a lan event to draw a bigger crowd. If this is the case then it would either be a toss up between Dota2 and CS:GO, and since UGC has a Dota2 league....

I'll give an update as soon as the deal is finalized

Going to meet with a PC company very early next week to see if they'd be interested in sponsoring the event.

If it does pans out here are somethings we might expect to change:
The rigs at the last event were good, these would be just as good if not better
120hz+ monitors
More than likely some gear giveaways from them
More than likely they would want me to bring in a tourney for a second game and make this a lan event to draw a bigger crowd. If this is the case then it would either be a toss up between Dota2 and CS:GO, and since UGC has a Dota2 league....

I'll give an update as soon as the deal is finalized
1 Frags +

i would like to go regardless of the 120hz monitor, but if we get 120hz monitors confirmed im definitely going that would be so dope

also how are teams going to work? Are they gonna pick captains or can we let you know of teams formed beforehand

i would like to go regardless of the 120hz monitor, but if we get 120hz monitors confirmed im definitely going that would be so dope

also how are teams going to work? Are they gonna pick captains or can we let you know of teams formed beforehand
3 Frags +

http://i.imgur.com/lKSSLwF.png

When you register your main and secondary class gets sent to a nice document form. I will work with one or two other individuals to help even out the teams. It would be nice to see entire (or even half) teams come though.

The site is almost done, just got 1 page left to work on.

Also note the outline of the prizes.
Those prizes listed on the page is if 4 teams minimum join (which shouldn't be a problem). With this sponsor (and perhaps 1 or 2 more) it would jump up. I'm also considering possibly doing a fundraiser stream of sorts. My goal is to get that around 200+ per player for first place and 50+ per player for second place.
Also will be doing MvP prizes and raffle prizes (again). This time around I will be able to hand out the prizes on site.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/lKSSLwF.png[/img]

When you register your main and secondary class gets sent to a nice document form. I will work with one or two other individuals to help even out the teams. It would be nice to see entire (or even half) teams come though.

The site is almost done, just got 1 page left to work on.

Also note the outline of the prizes.
Those prizes listed on the page is if 4 teams minimum join (which shouldn't be a problem). With this sponsor (and perhaps 1 or 2 more) it would jump up. I'm also considering possibly doing a fundraiser stream of sorts. My goal is to get that around 200+ per player for first place and 50+ per player for second place.
Also will be doing MvP prizes and raffle prizes (again). This time around I will be able to hand out the prizes on site.
2 Frags +

Some updates:

1) Sponsor and I couldn't come to an agreement. They were hoping/expecting me to draw in a crowd much bigger than I could pull (hundreds). It's w.e, moving on.

2) I've been talking back and forth with a group of FLan alumni whom I've liken to call "the custard council" about doing the next FLan a bit differently. Currently I'm leaning towards the idea of having a big chunk of the tournament online and having the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals done at the LAN venue. I'm hoping this would attract more players. Just to throw a number out there, if we can get a full 16 teams to sign up that would bring the winning team a prize of no less than 400 per player (it's actually closer to 500 but I want to toss the second place folks some prize money as well).
And in case you're wondering how I got that number: 16 teams * 9 players - 360 that goes to venue + my 500 contribution for being a G / 9 players = 495.55
and then subtract a smallish sum from that to cover second place prize.
Another big plus about having a big chunk of the tourney held online is that it saves us time at the venue. Having those quarterfinal and after matches will take probably as long as the last FLan took (even with all the network and config problems worked out, which they have been), so this would save us from having to run a multiday event.

3) Since there is no sponsor there is no longer a need to run a multigame event, however, I would still be open to organizing a cs:go event in the second half of 2015 if there is an interest. If that doesn't pan out I'm more than happy to organize a 3rd flan event which will be dubbed FLan 3: Full Diabetes

4) The venue cannot afford buying 18 sparkling new 120hz monitors. I thought about doing a fundraiser to get em some new gear but that would be asking way too much from the community. I did think of an alternative though that I still have yet to bring up to the venue owner so don't take this as a final word.
I saw GXL had a nice little "Pay a bit extra to be able to use a 120+hz monitor" feature. Doing this would allow the venue and I to raise a more realistic amount of money to bring in say 4-6 monitors. And then all the money used from players paying extra would go to either the prize pool or to the venue for more gear. Hopefully I'll have more on this soon.

5) While speaking with the Custard Council a concern was brought up in regards to doing the event online then at lan. What if invite players stack a team?
Would that discourage other players from wanting to join? Would that just cause a bunch of invites to meet up at FLan to have an epic battle? I want to hear the communities thoughts on this. Should they be allowed to play at all? If allowed to play should there be restrictions on the amount of invites a team could have? What should that limit be? UGC has some decent limitation rules, should we make some based around those? I personally don't like the idea of disqualifying players just because they are OP, but I am not against setting a limit to how many can roster on a single team.

Please, tell me your thoughts and don't be afraid to voice your opinions. This is an event by the tryhards, for the tryhards.

-Miggy

Some updates:

1) Sponsor and I couldn't come to an agreement. They were hoping/expecting me to draw in a crowd much bigger than I could pull (hundreds). It's w.e, moving on.

2) I've been talking back and forth with a group of FLan alumni whom I've liken to call "the custard council" about doing the next FLan a bit differently. Currently I'm leaning towards the idea of having a big chunk of the tournament online and having the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals done at the LAN venue. I'm hoping this would attract more players. Just to throw a number out there, if we can get a full 16 teams to sign up that would bring the winning team a prize of no less than 400 per player (it's actually closer to 500 but I want to toss the second place folks some prize money as well).
And in case you're wondering how I got that number: 16 teams * 9 players - 360 that goes to venue + my 500 contribution for being a G / 9 players = 495.55
and then subtract a smallish sum from that to cover second place prize.
Another big plus about having a big chunk of the tourney held online is that it saves us time at the venue. Having those quarterfinal and after matches will take probably as long as the last FLan took (even with all the network and config problems worked out, which they have been), so this would save us from having to run a multiday event.

3) Since there is no sponsor there is no longer a need to run a multigame event, however, I would still be open to organizing a cs:go event in the second half of 2015 if there is an interest. If that doesn't pan out I'm more than happy to organize a 3rd flan event which will be dubbed FLan 3: Full Diabetes

4) The venue cannot afford buying 18 sparkling new 120hz monitors. I thought about doing a fundraiser to get em some new gear but that would be asking way too much from the community. I did think of an alternative though that I still have yet to bring up to the venue owner so don't take this as a final word.
I saw GXL had a nice little "Pay a bit extra to be able to use a 120+hz monitor" feature. Doing this would allow the venue and I to raise a more realistic amount of money to bring in say 4-6 monitors. And then all the money used from players paying extra would go to either the prize pool or to the venue for more gear. Hopefully I'll have more on this soon.

5) While speaking with the Custard Council a concern was brought up in regards to doing the event online then at lan. What if invite players stack a team?
Would that discourage other players from wanting to join? Would that just cause a bunch of invites to meet up at FLan to have an epic battle? I want to hear the communities thoughts on this. Should they be allowed to play at all? If allowed to play should there be restrictions on the amount of invites a team could have? What should that limit be? UGC has some decent limitation rules, should we make some based around those? I personally don't like the idea of disqualifying players just because they are OP, but I am not against setting a limit to how many can roster on a single team.

Please, tell me your thoughts and don't be afraid to voice your opinions. This is an event by the tryhards, for the tryhards.

-Miggy
3 Frags +

I really like the idea of it being an online tournament that then meets in Florida for the playoffs. Sort of like a new league, but with a promise of cash prizes with the only expense being (barring the cost of travel to florida) the price to enter the venue for the playoffs.

Online tourney into a Florida-based lan playoffs. I like it. Anyone else?

EDIT: UGC's been looking for incentives for Platinum players and teams to play, why not have their regular season culminate in a playoffs with a cash prize that miggy is basically providing from his own pocket and from the fees of simply attending a lan playoffs. Can someone get in touch with UGC about maybe doing something like this? Maybe a step for UGC to become a big name in comp with "cash prizes" as a selling point like ESEA

EDIT2: Miggy is literally paying most of the fees for having a lan, UGC should take an offer for a LAN playoffs for their platinum division.

I really like the idea of it being an online tournament that then meets in Florida for the playoffs. Sort of like a new league, but with a promise of cash prizes with the only expense being (barring the cost of travel to florida) the price to enter the venue for the playoffs.

EDIT: UGC's been looking for incentives for Platinum players and teams to play, why not have their regular season culminate in a playoffs with a cash prize that miggy is basically providing from his own pocket and from the fees of simply attending a lan playoffs. Can someone get in touch with UGC about maybe doing something like this? Maybe a step for UGC to become a big name in comp with "cash prizes" as a selling point like ESEA

EDIT2: Miggy is literally paying most of the fees for having a lan, UGC should take an offer for a LAN playoffs for their platinum division.
0 Frags +

#15 I just have a hard time seeing that many players being able to make it to the LAN. Its why HL LANs have never really taken off.

#15 I just have a hard time seeing that many players being able to make it to the LAN. Its why HL LANs have never really taken off.
0 Frags +
WithADanceNumber#15 I just have a hard time seeing that many players being able to make it to the LAN. Its why HL LANs have never really taken off.

It might be ETF2L or I don't know what but i52 had Highlander tourney.

GXL pulled it off, why couldn't this pull it off within a few years?

[quote=WithADanceNumber]#15 I just have a hard time seeing that many players being able to make it to the LAN. Its why HL LANs have never really taken off.[/quote]
It might be ETF2L or I don't know what but i52 had Highlander tourney.

GXL pulled it off, why couldn't this pull it off within a few years?
1 Frags +
rowrowI really like the idea of it being an online tournament that then meets in Florida for the playoffs. Sort of like a new league, but with a promise of cash prizes with the only expense being (barring the cost of travel to florida) the price to enter the venue for the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind doing that if they were interested.
All they would need to do is slap their name on it and promote it; Everything else I can handle myself.

[quote=rowrow]I really like the idea of it being an online tournament that then meets in Florida for the playoffs. Sort of like a new league, but with a promise of cash prizes with the only expense being (barring the cost of travel to florida) the price to enter the venue for the playoffs.

[b]EDIT: UGC's been looking for incentives for Platinum players and teams to play, why not have their regular season culminate in a playoffs with a cash prize that miggy is basically providing from his own pocket and from the fees of simply attending a lan playoffs. Can someone get in touch with UGC about maybe doing something like this? Maybe a step for UGC to become a big name in comp with "cash prizes" as a selling point like ESEA

EDIT2: Miggy is literally paying most of the fees for having a lan, UGC should take an offer for a LAN playoffs for their platinum division.[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't mind doing that if they were interested.
All they would need to do is slap their name on it and promote it; Everything else I can handle myself.
1 Frags +

UGC pls respond, you're getting an offer of a LAN playoffs with no real charge

UGC pls respond, you're getting an offer of a LAN playoffs with no real charge
-2 Frags +

How about considering a portion for MGE, Ultiduo, or even better, 4v4. This gamemode would bring teams of players that still requires cohesion but not large amounts of player to get there (like HL).

The prize money for 4s (if any) would of course be much less, but it could attract some more casual players since 4s isn't a "real" game mode yet.
I have a 4s team all in FL, so I think that it would be great to get to drive somewhere and meet other players who just want to have fun and play some TF2.

I love what you're doing for the community and even putting in money and time for this event to happen. If it does, I'd try my hardest to get there.

Thanks!

How about considering a portion for MGE, Ultiduo, or even better, 4v4. This gamemode would bring teams of players that still requires cohesion but not large amounts of player to get there (like HL).

The prize money for 4s (if any) would of course be much less, but it could attract some more casual players since 4s isn't a "real" game mode yet.
I have a 4s team all in FL, so I think that it would be great to get to drive somewhere and meet other players who just want to have fun and play some TF2.

I love what you're doing for the community and even putting in money and time for this event to happen. If it does, I'd try my hardest to get there.

Thanks!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.