Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
FPS and 120hz question
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

I have a BenQ XL2410T running at 120hz. I'm wondering what FPS I should be trying to run to maximise my refresh rates potential. I think I remembering reading in one of chris' configs that your fps_max should be refresh rate*2+1, but I just checked and there's nothing about that there.
I'm running about ~110 on the tf2 benchmark.

I have a BenQ XL2410T running at 120hz. I'm wondering what FPS I should be trying to run to maximise my refresh rates potential. I think I remembering reading in one of chris' configs that your fps_max should be refresh rate*2+1, but I just checked and there's nothing about that there.
I'm running about ~110 on the [url=http://teamfortress.tv/thread/7598/tf2-benchmarks]tf2 benchmark[/url].
3 Frags +

you want fps_max to be 121 and with a constant 120fps to milk it for all its worth.

you want fps_max to be 121 and with a constant 120fps to milk it for all its worth.
2 Frags +

What's wrong with using 0?

What's wrong with using 0?
0 Frags +

How did he see me?

How did he see me?
6 Frags +

From what I understood all rules of thumb to limiting FPS are snake oil. The only thing you don't want is for your FPS to go over 1000, because then strange stuff might happen (opening portals to other dimensions etc)

From what I understood all rules of thumb to limiting FPS are snake oil. The only thing you don't want is for your FPS to go over 1000, because then strange stuff might happen (opening portals to other dimensions etc)
-3 Frags +

I'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

I want to know what FPS I should try and get to utilise my 120hz.

I'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

0 Frags +

at least 120fps

at least 120fps
1 Frags +

as high as you can get, maybe with a cap if you like it to feel consistent and you can achieve that framerate all the time. 120 is bare minimum but 240 feels nicer, capping to 121 feels noticeably more choppy after using 241

as high as you can get, maybe with a cap if you like it to feel consistent and you can achieve that framerate all the time. 120 is bare minimum but 240 feels nicer, capping to 121 feels noticeably more choppy after using 241
9 Frags +
AlfieI'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

lol?

[quote=Alfie]I'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

I want to know what FPS I should try and get to utilise my 120hz.[/quote]

lol?
1 Frags +

honestly i really like playing with vertical sync on. People say it induces input lag, but most video cards come with an option to sync up with your monitors refresh rate, and that seems to work the smoothest for me, no screen tearing, and no input lag. If you dont get frame drops, i think this is the way to go but im probably dumb.

If it helps at all, back when i had a pc that didnt have that setting i would just set the cap at refresh rate x2 +1 because thats what would look the smoothest to me, although honestly i thing not having a cap is fine but people think it puts unnecessary wear and tear on your pc.

honestly i really like playing with vertical sync on. People say it induces input lag, but most video cards come with an option to sync up with your monitors refresh rate, and that seems to work the smoothest for me, no screen tearing, and no input lag. If you dont get frame drops, i think this is the way to go but im probably dumb.

If it helps at all, back when i had a pc that didnt have that setting i would just set the cap at refresh rate x2 +1 because thats what would look the smoothest to me, although honestly i thing not having a cap is fine but people think it puts unnecessary wear and tear on your pc.
1 Frags +
georgeWhat's wrong with using 0?

just put 0 (none) or refresh rate*5 (60*5=300) the thing of double+1 is horseshit and actually you can see the difference between that, and not limit

[quote=george]What's wrong with using 0?[/quote]

just put 0 (none) or refresh rate*5 (60*5=300) the thing of double+1 is horseshit and actually you can see the difference between that, and not limit
1 Frags +
flameAlfieI'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

lol?

wait what the fuck

is that actually your question

i think ill let you try to figure that one out yourself

[quote=flame][quote=Alfie]I'm not talking about fps_max. I mentioned it in the OP to give an idea of what my FPS should be to maximise refresh rate.

I want to know what FPS I should try and get to utilise my 120hz.[/quote]

lol?[/quote]

wait what the fuck

is that actually your question

i think ill let you try to figure that one out yourself
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.