Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
LF DM Mentor
posted in Mentoring
0 Frags +

Yeah, I know that sounds weird. I'm being serious.

I've been playing TF2 for a good amount of time and have an okay amount of experience. However, probably 99% of that gametime has been playing Medic. Don't get me wrong, Medic's a great class, but having not played a damage-dealing class is negatively affecting my gameplay. I recently got picked up as a Scout in sixes, and despite knowing what I should be doing and getting into that sweet position to do work.. My lack of DM experience kicks in and I flub it up.

I do MGE and SoapDM a lot for practice, but don't feel like I'm improving. I worry that I may be practicing what I'm already good, or decent at, rather than what I need to improve on.

What I would like is for someone with a decent amount of competitive experience in higher level play to add me, and then proceed to beat the snot out of me while telling me what I could improve on. If it turns out that my DM isn't the only issue, I'd be more than happy to listen about positioning, movement, communication, strategy, etc. I'd love to learn the relationship between DM and higher level sixes play (with a focus on Scout, if at all possible).

I am not interested in learning any of the Highlander classes.

Please add me here.

Thank you!

Yeah, I know that sounds weird. I'm being serious.

I've been playing TF2 for a good amount of time and have an okay amount of experience. However, probably 99% of that gametime has been playing Medic. Don't get me wrong, Medic's a great class, but having not played a damage-dealing class is negatively affecting my gameplay. I recently got picked up as a Scout in sixes, and despite [i]knowing[/i] what I should be doing and getting into that sweet position to do work.. My lack of DM experience kicks in and I flub it up.

I do MGE and SoapDM a lot for practice, but don't feel like I'm improving. I worry that I may be practicing what I'm already good, or decent at, rather than what I need to improve on.

What I would like is for someone with a decent amount of competitive experience in higher level play to add me, and then proceed to beat the snot out of me while telling me what I could improve on. If it turns out that my DM isn't the only issue, I'd be more than happy to listen about positioning, movement, communication, strategy, etc. I'd love to learn the relationship between DM and higher level sixes play (with a focus on Scout, if at all possible).

[u][i]I am not interested in learning any of the Highlander classes.[/i][/u]

Please add me [url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaithephaux/]here[/url].

Thank you!
20 Frags +
KaiThePhauxI am not interested in learning any of the Highlander classes.

that's good man, highlander bl0ws

[quote=KaiThePhaux]I am not interested in learning any of the Highlander classes.[/quote]
that's good man, highlander bl0ws
-9 Frags +

:o

:o
12 Frags +
KaiThePhauxI do MGE and SoapDM a lot for practice, but don't feel like I'm improving.

Dont overdo yourself. if you just keep trying to force good aim you will get bored and not want to play at all. I'm not saying that mge/dm is a bad thing but you cant just play it all day. Anyways, it benefits you more to get a decent sense of the game than just become an overconfident aggressive player who dies from overextending. Play mge/dm but make sure you spend more time playing in pugs/lobbies or scrimming with a team.

KaiThePhauxIf it turns out that my DM isn't the only issue, I'd be more than happy to listen about positioning, movement

The thing is, DM is movement.

If you're playing scout movement is just as important, if not more important, than aim. Being able to dodge shots and calmly line up your own is much more important than being able to plough through the other teams flanks (which never actually happens anyway)

If you're playing soldier you just need to move well and position yourself correctly. if you pick the right place to stand its pretty damn hard to not kill someone with 4 rockets (apart from a buffed pocket or heavy).

Playing demoman isn't even about aim as much as it is positioning, setting traps and spamming out the other team with stickies. Dont try to glorify yourself by hitting pipes or air-shots as you tend to not focus on the basics of actual 6v6 play.

Stop worrying about your aim and just play some damn 6s :)
dm comes with time

[quote=KaiThePhaux]I do MGE and SoapDM a lot for practice, but don't feel like I'm improving.[/quote]

Dont overdo yourself. if you just keep trying to force good aim you will get bored and not want to play at all. I'm not saying that mge/dm is a bad thing but you cant just play it all day. Anyways, it benefits you more to get a decent sense of the game than just become an overconfident aggressive player who dies from overextending. Play mge/dm but make sure you spend more time playing in pugs/lobbies or scrimming with a team.

[quote=KaiThePhaux]If it turns out that my DM isn't the only issue, I'd be more than happy to listen about positioning, movement[/quote]

The thing is, DM is movement.

If you're playing scout movement is just as important, if not more important, than aim. Being able to dodge shots and calmly line up your own is much more important than being able to plough through the other teams flanks (which never actually happens anyway)

If you're playing soldier you just need to move well and position yourself correctly. if you pick the right place to stand its pretty damn hard to [b]not[/b] kill someone with 4 rockets (apart from a buffed pocket or heavy).

Playing demoman isn't even about aim as much as it is positioning, setting traps and spamming out the other team with stickies. Dont try to glorify yourself by hitting pipes or air-shots as you tend to not focus on the basics of actual 6v6 play.

Stop worrying about your aim and just play some damn 6s :)
dm comes with time
0 Frags +

Some might argue that you should worry about your movement second to your aim. Jumping around doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you aren't hitting any of your shots. As far as movement goes, I'd suggest trying to move in a way that most compliments you hitting your shots.

But in the end you basically just need to click on things. And to get better at clicking on things you need to practice clicking on things. So DM and MGE it up.

Some might argue that you should worry about your movement second to your aim. Jumping around doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you aren't hitting any of your shots. As far as movement goes, I'd suggest trying to move in a way that most compliments you hitting your shots.

But in the end you basically just need to click on things. And to get better at clicking on things you need to practice clicking on things. So DM and MGE it up.
-17 Frags +

point n click

point n click
-3 Frags +
Toasterpoint n click

he's not talking about sniper

[quote=Toaster]point n click[/quote]
he's not talking about sniper
26 Frags +
icTus:o

What's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."

[quote=icTus]:o[/quote]
What's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."
5 Frags +

Best way to improve your DM is to actively focus on what you're improving as you play. What I mean by that, is some people will just join DM or MGE and just grind it out shooting, and dodging without really thinking about what they are doing.

I've found you can be much more efficient by relaxing a bit and focusing on each engagement. Always thinking introspectively during every exchange, you can develop a habit of recognizing good/bad situations. This will carry over to match time, where you may not have as much of a privilege as far as time for decision making goes.

Of course, thats all fine and good, but if you're not commiting the time and effort to get better you never will. My last suggestion would be to stop looking for some magic trick to make you aim better, cause there isn't one. Play TF2 until you can't stand it anymore, and then play some more. Don't give up.

Best way to improve your DM is to actively focus on what you're improving as you play. What I mean by that, is some people will just join DM or MGE and just grind it out shooting, and dodging without really thinking about what they are doing.

I've found you can be much more efficient by relaxing a bit and focusing on each engagement. Always thinking introspectively during every exchange, you can develop a habit of recognizing good/bad situations. This will carry over to match time, where you may not have as much of a privilege as far as time for decision making goes.

Of course, thats all fine and good, but if you're not commiting the time and effort to get better you never will. My last suggestion would be to stop looking for some magic trick to make you aim better, cause there isn't one. Play TF2 until you can't stand it anymore, and then play some more. Don't give up.
2 Frags +

Thank you for the advice, you guys. I'm a bit terrified of PUGs, but I'll try to give them an honest shot if permitted.

Thanks again for all of the positive responses.

Thank you for the advice, you guys. I'm a bit terrified of PUGs, but I'll try to give them an honest shot if permitted.

Thanks again for all of the positive responses.
-10 Frags +
GeknaiiricTus:oWhat's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."

I actually didn't know oobii nor April would be girls. RIP

..... Nor did I know this one was.

[quote=Geknaiir][quote=icTus]:o[/quote]
What's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."[/quote]

20 Frags +
icTusGeknaiiricTus:oWhat's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."I actually didn't know oobii nor April would be girls. RIP

im a girl gamer too

[quote=icTus][quote=Geknaiir][quote=icTus]:o[/quote]
What's with the face? It's another girl gamer you can "mentor."[/quote]

..... Nor did I know this one was.[/quote]
im a girl gamer too
2 Frags +

believe in yourself, dont rush your shots, and play 1.5k hours of DM

believe in yourself, dont rush your shots, and play 1.5k hours of DM
-5 Frags +
11 Frags +

What I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

DM isn't something that is 'teachable'. I feel an idiot for thinking it was.

While I DO MGE a lot, I didn't properly 'practice' my weaknesses. Doing pugs and practicing what I'm bad at will make me into a better player. Thank you guys for the helpful comments and adding me to talk.

What I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

While I DO MGE a lot, I didn't properly 'practice' my weaknesses. Doing pugs and practicing what I'm bad at will make me into a better player. Thank you guys for the helpful comments and adding me to talk.
0 Frags +

just keep playing the class. you're not gonna have beast aim at 200 hours of scout. overall gametime and no life mge will help.

just keep playing the class. you're not gonna have beast aim at 200 hours of scout. overall gametime and no life mge will help.
-8 Frags +
Oblivionagejust keep playing the class. you're not gonna have beast aim at 200 hours of scout. overall gametime and no life mge will help.

Not necessarily true although playing a long time will help there are things you can do to quicken your progress like using your time wisely. If you are in game and on a pub you are definitely not going to improve as fast as the guy who is always in DM/MGE/PUGS. Also you have to know your limits. Do not think playing DM/MGE for 5 hours when your hand hurt/tired after just 2 hours will make you play better or hit more shots than the guy who only played 1 or 2 hours of DM/MGE. Most of all be positive.

[quote=Oblivionage]just keep playing the class. you're not gonna have beast aim at 200 hours of scout. overall gametime and no life mge will help.[/quote]

Not necessarily true although playing a long time will help there are things you can do to quicken your progress like using your time wisely. If you are in game and on a pub you are definitely not going to improve as fast as the guy who is always in DM/MGE/PUGS. Also you have to know your limits. Do not think playing DM/MGE for 5 hours when your hand hurt/tired after just 2 hours will make you play better or hit more shots than the guy who only played 1 or 2 hours of DM/MGE. Most of all be positive.
-8 Frags +

Raise your sensitivity to something that's comfortable where you can rocket jump, yet track people well. If you can't keep your crosshair on someone then that's at least part of the problem. The rest is muscle memory by doing pugs/dm/mge (in that order).

Raise your sensitivity to something that's comfortable where you can rocket jump, yet track people well. If you can't keep your crosshair on someone then that's at least part of the problem. The rest is muscle memory by doing pugs/dm/mge (in that order).
16 Frags +

people have 20 inches + and move their arms to rocket jump please don't change your sens from what you're comfortable with

people have 20 inches + and move their arms to rocket jump please don't change your sens from what you're comfortable with
-3 Frags +
KaiThePhauxWhat I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

I disagree, I think you could teach someone how to DM just like you can teach someone how to play an instrument.

[quote=KaiThePhaux]What I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

While I DO MGE a lot, I didn't properly 'practice' my weaknesses. Doing pugs and practicing what I'm bad at will make me into a better player. Thank you guys for the helpful comments and adding me to talk.[/quote]

I disagree, I think you could teach someone how to DM just like you can teach someone how to play an instrument.
6 Frags +
YeeegzKaiThePhauxWhat I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

idk from my experience it takes a lot of practice if you want to be ok at playing an instrument, let alone being good at it. you can learn different techniques from a teacher but i'm not sure what "technique" you can teach in tf2 for dm. then again i have no dm so you can just ignore what i said

[quote=Yeeegz][quote=KaiThePhaux]What I've discovered (and hopefully I'm correct with this so far) is that while I don't have the best fighting techniques in the whole world, the reason I wasn't doing so well was a combination of not wanting to take heals coupled with a lack of confidence and over-commitment when I didn't have a buff.

While I DO MGE a lot, I didn't properly 'practice' my weaknesses. Doing pugs and practicing what I'm bad at will make me into a better player. Thank you guys for the helpful comments and adding me to talk.[/quote]

I disagree, I think you could teach someone how to DM just like you can teach someone how to play an instrument.[/quote]

idk from my experience it takes a lot of practice if you want to be ok at playing an instrument, let alone being good at it. you can learn different techniques from a teacher but i'm not sure what "technique" you can teach in tf2 for dm. then again i have no dm so you can just ignore what i said
-2 Frags +
YeeegzI disagree, I think you could teach someone how to DM just like you can teach someone how to play an instrument.

Yea i think i can teach a monkey how to press wasd space and m1

[quote=Yeeegz]
I disagree, I think you could teach someone how to DM just like you can teach someone how to play an instrument.[/quote]

Yea i think i can teach a monkey how to press wasd space and m1
0 Frags +

The purpose of having a musical instrument teacher is to help facilitate practice and teach useful tips/techniques, which can also be applied to DM. Students won't progress anywhere even with the best teacher if they don't practice on their own time, but I agree with Yeeegz that there are certain things that can help players improve faster with help from a "DM mentor" such as how to practice certain aspects of DM as well as any other useful tips.

The purpose of having a musical instrument teacher is to help facilitate practice and teach useful tips/techniques, which can also be applied to DM. Students won't progress anywhere even with the best teacher if they don't practice on their own time, but I agree with Yeeegz that there are certain things that can help players improve faster with help from a "DM mentor" such as how to practice certain aspects of DM as well as any other useful tips.
-1 Frags +

I've always kind of wondered about this. At the moment, aim technique as such in fps games isn't even a thing, people are just told to practice and ride it out until you're good. But in most other similar disciplines there's a specific way to do things, eg the musical instrument thing. I guess why it hasn't really developed for us is because of how little IRL interaction there is and thus there is no real way to critique someone's mouse technique or whatever; nevertheless I'm interested to see if 'correct aim technique" ever. becomes a thing, and ithink this thread isn't as stupid as it may sound.

I've always kind of wondered about this. At the moment, aim technique as such in fps games isn't even a thing, people are just told to practice and ride it out until you're good. But in most other similar disciplines there's a specific way to do things, eg the musical instrument thing. I guess why it hasn't really developed for us is because of how little IRL interaction there is and thus there is no real way to critique someone's mouse technique or whatever; nevertheless I'm interested to see if 'correct aim technique" ever. becomes a thing, and ithink this thread isn't as stupid as it may sound.
2 Frags +
qoskI've always kind of wondered about this. At the moment, aim technique as such in fps games isn't even a thing, people are just told to practice and ride it out until you're good. But in most other similar disciplines there's a specific way to do things, eg the musical instrument thing. I guess why it hasn't really developed for us is because of how little IRL interaction there is and thus there is no real way to critique someone's mouse technique or whatever; nevertheless I'm interested to see if 'correct aim technique" ever. becomes a thing, and ithink this thread isn't as stupid as it may sound.

there are different ways to play musical instruments though

[quote=qosk]I've always kind of wondered about this. At the moment, aim technique as such in fps games isn't even a thing, people are just told to practice and ride it out until you're good. But in most other similar disciplines there's a specific way to do things, eg the musical instrument thing. I guess why it hasn't really developed for us is because of how little IRL interaction there is and thus there is no real way to critique someone's mouse technique or whatever; nevertheless I'm interested to see if 'correct aim technique" ever. becomes a thing, and ithink this thread isn't as stupid as it may sound.[/quote]
there are different ways to play musical instruments though
3 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4oyd7AchQ

This video goes over some nice methods and stuff about aim

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4oyd7AchQ[/youtube]

This video goes over some nice methods and stuff about aim
12 Frags +

Slightly unrelated, but through all of the help I've received, all of the surprisingly nice people who've added me and actually offered to help me get to be a better player, and through all of the 6s practice and pugs that I've done in just the past day..

Why in the world was I playing Highlander for two freaking years..? Sixes is so much fun!

Slightly unrelated, but through all of the help I've received, all of the surprisingly nice people who've added me and actually offered to help me get to be a better player, and through all of the 6s practice and pugs that I've done in just the past day..

Why in the world was I playing Highlander for two freaking years..? Sixes is so much fun!
9 Frags +

You were blinded by the medals

You were blinded by the medals
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.