Upvote Upvoted 13 Downvote Downvoted
ESEA Invite Season 17 Power Rankings: Week 9
posted in News
Tery_
September 15, 2014

We arrive at the last week of ESEA Season 17. A crazy season full of roster shakeups and more intense games than you could keep track of. This season saw the return to Invite for players like cyzer, YouMustMike, xalox, the debut of casters like gecks, the Insomnia52 LAN, and the end of an undefeated streak spanning years.

With Classic Mixup's victory over Mad Men last week, LAN seeds have all been decided. Even if Mixup were to drop the last 2 maps and Mad Men to win out, both teams would be 9-7, and Mixup, having defeated Mad Men twice would take 4th seed off head-to-head advantage. So, our ESEA S17 LAN teams are: Classic Mixup, eLevate TF2, Froyotech, and Street Hoops eSports. For the first time in the history of ESEA, the same 4 teams from the previous LAN will be returning for another. Can you say "hype?"

The format will be different this week, and cover all the remaining matches in this season. Some are more important than others, sure, but ultimately what matters are all the teams and their games. Let's see how accurate I land these predictions.

Froyotech (12-2) vs. Mad Men (7-7)

Froyotech are looking to finish out their season at 14-2 and 2nd seed. To do so, they'll need to defeat Mad Men, who wasn't able to put up much of a fight in their previous encounter. I'd expect more or less the same this time around, but I believe it's well within Mad Men to take at least a round off Froyo. Pharaoh should look to assert himself early on these midfights, so Mike and bl4nk have breathing room against clckwrk and b4nny. At the end of the day, there isn't much else to say about Froyotech.

Prediction: Froyotech - 5, Mad Men - 1

Street Hoops eSports (9-4) vs. Ding Dong Daddy (3-11)

Unfortunately for Ding Dong Daddy, they'll be on the receiving end of some of the more one-sided matchups this final week. Street Hoops have been nothing but strong and they'll want to take this game to further their chance at the #3 seed. As per 20b usual, look for grape and cyzer to bully their opposition, and ninjanick to live life on the edge as far as ubers go. Shoutouts to showstopper's streamchat's music suggestions (godawful).

Prediction: Street Hoops - 5, Ding Dong Daddy - 0

eLevate TF2 (15-0) vs. Street Hoops eSports (9-4)

If this were a regular Power Ranking, this would be the Match of the Week. eLevate's final challenge (boss?) in their quest to a perfect season. Although we can't get a fairytale "best opponent" (ideally Froyotech), Street Hoops will take this task. Despite having come so close to ruining the eLevate dreams during Badlands week, Street Hoops are given a 2nd chance here. Once again, this battle should be decided from the Scout and Pocket positions. If paragon can keep playing the way he has been, he and cyzer should be more than enough for the eLv Scouts. Process is a little more Sniper-friendly than Badlands so I expect some huge play or momentum shift in this match to come from that class. It's truly anyone's game, and I'm going to cheer for 20b this time around.

Prediction: eLevate - 4, Street Hoops - 5

Classic Mixup (9-5) vs. Ding Dong Daddy (3-11)

Classic Mixup rallied 4 rounds in the 2nd half last week against Mad Men to clinch their LAN spot, of which I'm sure they're quite happy about. Now, the question is if they care about their LAN seed or not. If they do, then expect everyone to be firing on all cylinders and a convincing Mixup victory. However, if 3rd and 4th seed don't mean much of a difference to them, we could possibly see Platinum offclass to Huntsman, enigma building sentries on the enemy 2nd, etc. More of the...classic end-of-season Mixup shenanigans we've seen since like S11.

Prediction: Classic Mixup - 5, Ding Dong Daddy - 0 (If non-serious, 2)

Mad Men (7-7) vs. The Hurricane (4-10)

Mad Men unfortunately are unable to make LAN, but they can still finish the season on a good note with a win over The Hurricane. Mike and bl4nk will be dangerous against ChinGoo and icTus, but I think the Soldier matchups will be more even. If anything, I predict a few good rounds from The Hurricane but Mad Men will be just out of reach, though if Mad Men are sloppy, a very hungry Hurricane could sweep them off their feet and leave them with a losing record to end S17.

Prediction: Mad Men - 5, The Hurricane - 3

Street Hoops eSports (9-4) vs. Classic Mixup (9-5)

If eLv vs. 20b was MOTW #1, this would surely be MOTW #2. If 20b loses to eLevate, the 3rd seed is up for grabs, and will then be determined by this match. The xalox vs. deadbolt matchup is the only one I'm unsure of. I think the Mixup Scouts will be stronger, while 20b's Soldiers have a slight edge. As for Medics, harbleu will be just a little better than ninjanick, though both these Medics have a tendency to drop, so they'll need to be careful. In a conversation with a source who wishes to remain anonymous, he / she claimed that "20b is shit so Mixup will win." Honestly, while I might not agree with the former part of the statement, I will with the latter. I think Mixup (if they're going to be serious) will grab the win here and 3rd seed.

Prediction: Street Hoops - 3, Classic Mixup - 5

-

Editor's Note: Thank you for an excellent season of Invite, everyone. Here's to an even better LAN.

10 Frags +

I'm super excited for cyzer on LAN.

I'm super excited for cyzer on LAN.
8 Frags +

Holy shit, I just saw that LAN is over two months away. Nov 22nd-23rd. Wtf e$ea?

Holy shit, I just saw that LAN is over two months away. Nov 22nd-23rd. Wtf e$ea?
4 Frags +
MemphisVonHoly shit, I just saw that LAN is over two months away. Nov 22nd-23rd. Wtf e$ea?

Not necessarily a bad thing because of gxl, but yeah.

[quote=MemphisVon]Holy shit, I just saw that LAN is over two months away. Nov 22nd-23rd. Wtf e$ea?[/quote]
Not necessarily a bad thing because of gxl, but yeah.
19 Frags +
while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge

I think you might be underestimating TLR and plat

[quote]while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge[/quote]

-2 Frags +
Teapot_while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge

tlrs been doing rly low damage as of late

I can see him raping on lan but I dont think hes gonna care enough to do super well in an online bo1 game tho

[quote=Teapot_][quote]while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge[/quote]

I think you might be underestimating TLR and plat[/quote]

I can see him raping on lan but I dont think hes gonna care enough to do super well in an online bo1 game tho
0 Frags +

Will these matches be streamed and if so, when?

Will these matches be streamed and if so, when?
1 Frags +
moistslacksWill these matches be streamed and if so, when?

Street Hoops vs. eLevate is tonight and we plan on casting Street Hoops vs. mix^ as well, when that gets scheduled.

[quote=moistslacks]Will these matches be streamed and if so, when?[/quote]
[url=http://teamfortress.tv/thread/20181/esea-invite-street-hoops-esports-vs-elevate-tf2]Street Hoops vs. eLevate is tonight[/url] and we plan on casting Street Hoops vs. mix^ as well, when that gets scheduled.
-9 Frags +

i dont think u understand its tlr and platinum on soldier........

i dont think u understand its tlr and platinum on soldier........
14 Frags +
TerywjThank you for an excellent season of Invite, everyone.

Thank YOU, for an excellent season of reporting and well-written articles!

[quote=Terywj]Thank you for an excellent season of Invite, everyone.[/quote]

Thank YOU, for an excellent season of reporting and well-written articles!
0 Frags +

I've tried to get on the scene saying I'm an English major looking to fill his portfolio. Doesn't seem to work!

I've tried to get on the scene saying I'm an English major looking to fill his portfolio. Doesn't seem to work!
0 Frags +

#20best #20believe

#20best #20believe
14 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1uGjfHXWY

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1uGjfHXWY[/youtube]
-2 Frags +

i plus fragged you pharaoh

i plus fragged you pharaoh
0 Frags +

5-4 20B the dream

5-4 20B the dream
-1 Frags +

RIP

RIP
-10 Frags +
mustardoverlordTeapot_while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge

http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=stats&d=match&id=3799590

I love being right mlg

[quote=mustardoverlord][quote=Teapot_][quote]while 20b’s Soldiers have a slight edge[/quote]

I think you might be underestimating TLR and plat[/quote]

I can see him raping on lan but I dont think hes gonna care enough to do super well in an online bo1 game tho[/quote]

http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=stats&d=match&id=3799590

I love being right mlg
13 Frags +

right and mustardoverlord don't belong in the same sentence

right and mustardoverlord don't belong in the same sentence
-6 Frags +

We all think mustard is stupid, right?

We all think mustard is stupid, right?
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.