Upvote Upvoted 10 Downvote Downvoted
Healthpack Reskin (help pls)
posted in Customization
0 Frags +

If anyone that's made a reskin could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I turned this picture

https://38.media.tumblr.com/56867e166fac2e99011f6b545105c0fa/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o3_1280.jpg

into this

https://33.media.tumblr.com/8e2771e2535f6fb1dbd858b894c56ce2/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o2_400.png

and I extracted medkit.vtf to my desktop, edited with Paint.NET + the .vtf plugin, so it looks like this

http://38.media.tumblr.com/e22f13ee9fac8eb7455da6cd053eaea8/tumblr_nc2wy71JEL1s2hcw6o1_1280.png

and then I saved it as a VTF (of course) with alpha.

I've "installed" it by putting the appropriate series of nested folders into my custom folder, as well as turning the series into a .vpk and putting it in my custom folder along my skins.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/60e5caa3fa7cb91599b0c42f0f2d5a45/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o1_1280.png

but it still doesn't show up in-game :(

Thanks in advance

Edit: Thank you to whoever posted the original picture in another thread within the past week. It's eggcellent.

If anyone that's made a reskin could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I turned this picture
[img]https://38.media.tumblr.com/56867e166fac2e99011f6b545105c0fa/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o3_1280.jpg[/img]
into this
[img]https://33.media.tumblr.com/8e2771e2535f6fb1dbd858b894c56ce2/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o2_400.png[/img]
and I extracted medkit.vtf to my desktop, edited with Paint.NET + the .vtf plugin, so it looks like this
[img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/e22f13ee9fac8eb7455da6cd053eaea8/tumblr_nc2wy71JEL1s2hcw6o1_1280.png[/img]
and then I saved it as a VTF (of course) with alpha.

I've "installed" it by putting the appropriate series of nested folders into my custom folder, as well as turning the series into a .vpk and putting it in my custom folder along my skins.
[img]https://38.media.tumblr.com/60e5caa3fa7cb91599b0c42f0f2d5a45/tumblr_nc1902Cy7J1s2hcw6o1_1280.png[/img]
but it still doesn't show up in-game :(

Thanks in advance

Edit: Thank you to whoever posted the original picture in another thread within the past week. It's eggcellent.
-39 Frags +

You're probably posting on the wrong site, I don't think a lot of people here know much about this. You'd get better information elsewhere.

You're probably posting on the wrong site, I don't think a lot of people here know much about this. You'd get better information elsewhere.
0 Frags +

Are you testing this on a local server or online?

Are you testing this on a local server or online?
10 Frags +
blinKYou're probably posting on the wrong site, I don't think a lot of people here know much about this. You'd get better information elsewhere.

> TF2 Customization
HUDs, crosshairs, and other forms of game customization

GameBanana wasn't coming up with anything, and I figured the 20+ HUD threads, configs with retextures and such someone would be able to help.

KanecoAre you testing this on a local server or online?

Online / pubs, though I don't think that should matter since I downloaded reskins from GameBanana and installed them in the same manner without a problem.

[quote=blinK]You're probably posting on the wrong site, I don't think a lot of people here know much about this. You'd get better information elsewhere.[/quote]

> TF2 Customization
HUDs, crosshairs, and other forms of game customization

GameBanana wasn't coming up with anything, and I figured the 20+ HUD threads, configs with retextures and such someone would be able to help.

[quote=Kaneco]Are you testing this on a local server or online?[/quote]

Online / pubs, though I don't think that should matter since I downloaded reskins from GameBanana and installed them in the same manner without a problem.
0 Frags +
DrJeremyKanecoAre you testing this on a local server or online?

Well it does matter because these servers can set restrictions with the sv_pure cvar

Try it on a local server and make sure you're running it with sv_pure 0.

If you're testing it on sv_pure 2 servers then it will never work, sv_pure 1 might or might not work depending on the server whitelist.

Also, custom materials are different from weapon models, etc...

[quote=DrJeremy]
[quote=Kaneco]Are you testing this on a local server or online?[/quote]

Online / pubs, though I don't think that should matter since I downloaded reskins from GameBanana and installed them in the same manner without a problem.[/quote]

Well it does matter because these servers can set restrictions with the sv_pure cvar

If you're testing it on sv_pure 2 servers then it will never work, sv_pure 1 might or might not work depending on the server whitelist.

0 Frags +
KanecoWell it does matter because these servers can set restrictions with the sv_pure cvar

I was on a pub I was familiar with, so my stock Rocket Launcher and Stickybomb Launcher reskins were showing up; I didn't think it'd affect the Healthpack reskin.

And I didn't edit any VMTs / Materials. Gettin back to work on this. Thanks anyway.

[quote=Kaneco]

Also, custom materials are different from weapon models, etc...[/quote]

I was on a pub I was familiar with, so my stock Rocket Launcher and Stickybomb Launcher reskins were showing up; I didn't think it'd affect the Healthpack reskin.

And I didn't edit any VMTs / Materials. Gettin back to work on this. Thanks anyway.
0 Frags +

TF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.

The steps you have followed should be correct including the file location. I would suggest you to extract medkit.tga file out of medkit.vtf file using VTFEdit and work on that using (in your case) Paint.NET. I assume the problem is either the way the photoshop program you use causing the problem, it might even be the .vtf file itself where you have to check some of the flags e.g. no mipmap, no level of details etc. To eliminate this issue you can import the .tga into VTFEdit and choose the correct parameters. Even though I use Adobe Photoshop with vtf plugin, I still do prefer using VTFEdit to avoid any complications.

If you would like to share the project you have, I can even look into it.

TF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.

The steps you have followed should be correct including the file location. I would suggest you to extract medkit.tga file out of medkit.vtf file using VTFEdit and work on that using (in your case) Paint.NET. I assume the problem is either the way the photoshop program you use causing the problem, it might even be the .vtf file itself where you have to check some of the flags e.g. no mipmap, no level of details etc. To eliminate this issue you can import the .tga into VTFEdit and choose the correct parameters. Even though I use Adobe Photoshop with vtf plugin, I still do prefer using VTFEdit to avoid any complications.

0 Frags +
redd0tTF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.

Thanks, I've checked out GameBanana guides and multiple Youtube videos, and I'll try Facepunch if this doesn't work - I'm gonna put the .vmt with the .vtf, in case TF2 searches for all of the assets for customized objects. After that, I'll edit the .vtf without alpha and see how that goes.

The .vtf (With alpha) is up for download for anyone that wants it - I'll put up the final product if I make it work and if anyone wants that.

[quote=redd0t]TF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.

If you would like to share the project you have, I can even look into it.[/quote]

Thanks, I've checked out GameBanana guides and multiple Youtube videos, and I'll try Facepunch if this doesn't work - I'm gonna put the .vmt with the .vtf, in case TF2 searches for all of the assets for customized objects. After that, I'll edit the .vtf without alpha and see how that goes.

[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwPoNxWurJt3YzJkeUVBMHVoQWc/edit?usp=sharing]The .vtf (With alpha) is up for download[/url] for anyone that wants it - I'll put up the final product if I make it work and if anyone wants that.
4 Frags +

Yup, it seems like Paint.NET didn't save it correctly, make sure you check these flags in VTFEdit and save it:
- No MipMap
- No Level of Detail
- Eight Bit Alpha (Format Specific)

I would also suggest you move the "KIT" letter towards the middle if you can to make it look more prettier :3

EDIT:
Also found out that you didn't save the alpha channels correctly. I'll upload the finished product here.

EDIT2: Reduced the medkit size by 10% to fit in the alpha channel and moved the KIT letter and centered. Also added alpha channel and included targa image in case you want to work more on that.

Download (Mediafire)

Yup, it seems like Paint.NET didn't save it correctly, make sure you check these flags in VTFEdit and save it:
- No MipMap
- No Level of Detail

I would also suggest you move the "KIT" letter towards the middle if you can to make it look more prettier :3

EDIT:
Also found out that you didn't save the alpha channels correctly. I'll upload the finished product here.

EDIT2: Reduced the medkit size by 10% to fit in the alpha channel and moved the KIT letter and centered. Also added alpha channel and included targa image in case you want to work more on that.

[url=https://www.mediafire.com/?8m5a1ak1fx1hxe4]Download (Mediafire)[/url]
0 Frags +
redd0tYup, it seems like Paint.NET didn't save it correctly, make sure you check these flags in VTFEdit and save it:
- No MipMap
- No Level of Detail

EDIT:

Also found out that it didn't save the alpha channels correctly. I'll upload the finished product here.

Woah, alright, thanks! I'll go and fix that - I honestly had next to no idea what I was doing in terms of formatting besides saving as a VTF.
And yeah, I'll move the kit to the center because you're a hero.
<3

Edit: Damn, you're good. Thank you very much! It definitely looks better than what I had.

[quote=redd0t]Yup, it seems like Paint.NET didn't save it correctly, make sure you check these flags in VTFEdit and save it:
- No MipMap
- No Level of Detail

EDIT:

Also found out that it didn't save the alpha channels correctly. I'll upload the finished product here.[/quote]

Woah, alright, thanks! I'll go and fix that - I honestly had next to no idea what I was doing in terms of formatting besides saving as a VTF.
And yeah, I'll move the kit to the center because you're a hero.
<3

Edit: Damn, you're good. Thank you very much! It definitely looks better than what I had.
0 Frags +
redd0tTF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.

Another website!? The health pack looks cool btw, gj

[quote=redd0t]TF2 Facepunch/Emporium is probably where you should be asking since bunch of talented material editors are there and they might help you.[/quote]

Another website!? The health pack looks cool btw, gj
0 Frags +

Hey guise - I cleaned it up a bit and got it to work, since Halloween / Full Moon mode was on while I wanted to test it.
Preview here

http://31.media.tumblr.com/524fb7ad259a931f199bdbc480c6b72e/tumblr_nchs3kvINS1s2hcw6o1_1280.jpg

Download here + "install" instructions

Ginormous thanks to redd0t for doing probably 50% of the work out of generosity / kindness

Hey guise - I cleaned it up a bit and got it to work, since Halloween / Full Moon mode was on while I wanted to test it.
Preview here
[img]http://31.media.tumblr.com/524fb7ad259a931f199bdbc480c6b72e/tumblr_nchs3kvINS1s2hcw6o1_1280.jpg[/img]

[url=https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwPoNxWurJt3RkN0bk5ua0dEOEk&usp=drive_web]Download here + "install" instructions[/url]

Ginormous thanks to redd0t for doing probably 50% of the work out of generosity / kindness
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.