Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
Where do u you find time to play tf2?
0 Frags +

Specifically people with kids? I have a 6 month old and I maybe get a pug/pub for an hour if I get earlier than usuall. other than that i work and spend time with the family all day... Don't get me wrong I love my wife and kid but some extra tf2 would be great

Specifically people with kids? I have a 6 month old and I maybe get a pug/pub for an hour if I get earlier than usuall. other than that i work and spend time with the family all day... Don't get me wrong I love my wife and kid but some extra tf2 would be great
13 Frags +

If I were you, I wouldn't give up being able to spend all your time with your family for tf2.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up being able to spend all your time with your family for tf2.
27 Frags +
Charles32Tevs kids

what free time?

[quote=Charles32Tevs] kids [/quote]

what free time?
5 Frags +

In all honesty you should dedicate your time to your family, but it's also important to have some "me time". I know a guy who spends one day/week on himself doing whatever he wants. It keeps him fresh.

For your situation specifically, a 6 month old needs a lot of attention so you should probably slow down with tf2... good luck dude :)

In all honesty you should dedicate your time to your family, but it's also important to have some "me time". I know a guy who spends one day/week on himself doing whatever he wants. It keeps him fresh.

For your situation specifically, a 6 month old needs a lot of attention so you should probably slow down with tf2... good luck dude :)
9 Frags +

life > games
im gonna get hated
or not

life > games
[size=10]im gonna get hated[/size]
[size=10]or not[/size]
3 Frags +
cookieIn all honesty you should dedicate your time to your family, but it's also important to have some "me time". I know a guy who spends one day/week on himself doing whatever he wants. It keeps him fresh.

I read something similar in an article, where the author says you should make a little time every week for something you enjoy doing(you also need to properly analyse what you enjoy), to avoid burnout.

With the little free time I have these days, I've realised that a few 1-2 hour video game sessions per week with friends keeps me sane.

Anyway, taking care of children so young is always intense, so I'd say just keep in mind that you'll have more free time eventually.

[quote=cookie]In all honesty you should dedicate your time to your family, but it's also important to have some "me time". I know a guy who spends one day/week on himself doing whatever he wants. It keeps him fresh.[/quote]

I read something similar in an article, where the author says you should make a little time every week for something you enjoy doing(you also need to properly analyse what you enjoy), to avoid burnout.

With the little free time I have these days, I've realised that a few 1-2 hour video game sessions per week with friends keeps me sane.

Anyway, taking care of children so young is always intense, so I'd say just keep in mind that you'll have more free time eventually.
-2 Frags +

thats why everyone plays past 9pm lol kids should be sleep

thats why everyone plays past 9pm lol kids should be sleep
27 Frags +
omzthats why everyone plays past 9pm lol kids should be sleep

I don't think a 6-month old baby will be very co-operative in that respect.

[quote=omz]thats why everyone plays past 9pm lol kids should be sleep[/quote]

I don't think a 6-month old baby will be very co-operative in that respect.
91 Frags +

honestly if the child is getting in the way of your game and refuses to cooperate you should cut him from the team.

honestly if the child is getting in the way of your game and refuses to cooperate you should cut him from the team.
6 Frags +

Set him/her up to a daily routine, and thank yourself for it later. mine typically is up by 7-8am, naps around 12-1pm for an hour to 2 hours, and then is in bed by 9 or 9:30pm.

Set him/her up to a daily routine, and thank yourself for it later. mine typically is up by 7-8am, naps around 12-1pm for an hour to 2 hours, and then is in bed by 9 or 9:30pm.
6 Frags +
spammylife > games

I agree, that's why the little time I get is only because I sacrifice some sleep, but I would definatly not give up family time

[quote=spammy]life > games[/quote]

I agree, that's why the little time I get is only because I sacrifice some sleep, but I would definatly not give up family time
27 Frags +

I don't remember getting tons of game time when my little one was *that* little - I think around 3-4 months he started sleeping through the night and then I got a little bit more gaming time. If you can manage naps without your house falling apart that was generally when I got my gaming time during the summers.

The best arrangement I ever had was with a previous girlfriend, with whom I lived in college, where she would be solely responsible for baby at least 2 hours a day, so I would get 2 hours to do whatever I wanted, and then I would likewise repay her in kind, so that we'd get at least get 2-4 hours a day to do whatever it was we wanted to do on our own. It was a great arrangement + the kiddo liked getting so much 1 on 1 time with us. After she was out of the picture he was 2 1/2 so he was sleeping through the night as he does now. Now that he's nearly 7 he plays more video games than I do :(

I don't remember getting tons of game time when my little one was *that* little - I think around 3-4 months he started sleeping through the night and then I got a little bit more gaming time. If you can manage naps without your house falling apart that was generally when I got my gaming time during the summers.

The best arrangement I ever had was with a previous girlfriend, with whom I lived in college, where she would be solely responsible for baby at least 2 hours a day, so I would get 2 hours to do whatever I wanted, and then I would likewise repay her in kind, so that we'd get at least get 2-4 hours a day to do whatever it was we wanted to do on our own. It was a great arrangement + the kiddo liked getting so much 1 on 1 time with us. After she was out of the picture he was 2 1/2 so he was sleeping through the night as he does now. Now that he's nearly 7 he plays more video games than I do :(
49 Frags +

marxist can you also be my dad

marxist can you also be my dad
6 Frags +

It was very difficult to balance personal time, let alone game time when my son was first born. I remember trying to play in a match when he was 3 weeks old and it was probably the dumbest thing i could have done. I played terribly and i'm sure my time would have been better spent with him. After that i just took a break from games for the most part. My wife and I set aside an hour or two each day so we could just do what we want and have a little peace and quiet. Regardless if it's games, tv, sports, friends...it's important to get some personal or alone time just to relax mentally. (Edit: i just noticed marxist did the same thing with his gf....very cool!)

You'll learn to manage your time as you go, and as you kid gets older it will be easier. As my son's gotten older i try to include him when i play a game. He's almost 4 now and he'll sit in a chair next to me while i play TF2, and he likes to pretend he's playing with me. Make it fun and interactive, and for the love of god turn voice chat off.

It was very difficult to balance personal time, let alone game time when my son was first born. I remember trying to play in a match when he was 3 weeks old and it was probably the dumbest thing i could have done. I played terribly and i'm sure my time would have been better spent with him. After that i just took a break from games for the most part. My wife and I set aside an hour or two each day so we could just do what we want and have a little peace and quiet. Regardless if it's games, tv, sports, friends...it's important to get some personal or alone time just to relax mentally. (Edit: i just noticed marxist did the same thing with his gf....very cool!)

You'll learn to manage your time as you go, and as you kid gets older it will be easier. As my son's gotten older i try to include him when i play a game. He's almost 4 now and he'll sit in a chair next to me while i play TF2, and he likes to pretend he's playing with me. Make it fun and interactive, and for the love of god turn voice chat off.
6 Frags +
smobohonestly if the child is getting in the way of your game and refuses to cooperate you should cut him from the team.

At first glance, my mind blanked out the last three words.

[quote=smobo]honestly if the child is getting in the way of your game and refuses to cooperate you should cut him from the team.[/quote]

At first glance, my mind blanked out the last three words.
41 Frags +
reselectmarxist can you also be my dad

would you really want your dad in the community? he'd be scouring your logs.tf profile for trash talk and lecturing you about respect.

and be "not angry, just disappointed" about your dpm

[quote=reselect]marxist can you also be my dad[/quote]
would you really want your dad in the community? he'd be scouring your logs.tf profile for trash talk and lecturing you about respect.

-3 Frags +

we have no lives.

we have no lives.
1 Frags +

Last year I did the stupid thing and prioritised tf2 over uni, peaking at ~110 hours/2 weeks during exam weeks.. Not gonna let that happen this time around.

Last year I did the stupid thing and prioritised tf2 over uni, peaking at ~110 hours/2 weeks during exam weeks.. Not gonna let that happen this time around.
12 Frags +
smobowould you really want your dad in the community? he'd be scouring your logs.tf profile for trash talk and lecturing you about respect.

marxist has told me i'm a disappointment whenever we've played.

he already plays the part.

[quote=smobo]

and be "not angry, just disappointed" about your dpm[/quote]

marxist has told me i'm a disappointment whenever we've played.

he already plays the part.
33 Frags +

I only get angry when he refuses to try :(

But na, I haven't had to actually discipline my son, Alek, in YEARS. I think all I had to do was punish him one time, and he realized that I was not to be fucked with.

(this was after the GF had left and I had him to myself - she'd have never tolerated it lol).

So, he was in pre-school, about 4 years old, which makes this story about 3 years old. We had a tradition that should he get a "green light" in preschool (they had a citizenship system, that if they did all of their work and didn't get in trouble they'd get a "green light" for the day and a "red light" if they fucked up somehow) every day of the week (that is to say 3 green lights in a row), we would go to this gas station and get any kind of junk food he wanted. This gas station has a pretty exceptional array of slushy flavors and he would typically pick to have a slushy - which I liked because they're only a dollar. I have only one hard and fast rule about public spaces - that if we're *anywhere* near a car at any point he has to either hold my hand or hold onto me in some way shape or form. This particular day he was *so* excited to have his slushy, as soon as we exited the gas station he took off running to the car. I bolted after him (being a bit faster than his tiny little kid legs) and snatched him up, put him in his spot in the car, recollected the slushy and said "What did you do wrong?"

He immediately began to cry because he realized that he was about to get dunked on. So, I recollected the slushy and put it in the front seat with me. When we arrived home, I placed him in his all metal disciplinary chair ("The Insolence Chair") which faces a blank, white wall. I sat beside him (as is my rule, when he's in time out, so am I). I drank his slushy, making sure every few minutes to remark upon how delicious and cool it was, and then asking him to remind me, why it was that I was getting to enjoy his most delicious slushy and not him. He would answer "because I ran through a parking lot" and I would nod, and say "you're right" and take another sip. The entire process took a little over an hour. Since then, he has never left my side in a parking lot, nor has he ever questioned any of my other rules.

I only get angry when he refuses to try :(

But na, I haven't had to actually discipline my son, Alek, in YEARS. I think all I had to do was punish him one time, and he realized that I was not to be fucked with.

(this was after the GF had left and I had him to myself - she'd have never tolerated it lol).

So, he was in pre-school, about 4 years old, which makes this story about 3 years old. We had a tradition that should he get a "green light" in preschool (they had a citizenship system, that if they did all of their work and didn't get in trouble they'd get a "green light" for the day and a "red light" if they fucked up somehow) every day of the week (that is to say 3 green lights in a row), we would go to this gas station and get any kind of junk food he wanted. This gas station has a pretty exceptional array of slushy flavors and he would typically pick to have a slushy - which I liked because they're only a dollar. I have only one hard and fast rule about public spaces - that if we're *anywhere* near a car at any point he has to either hold my hand or hold onto me in some way shape or form. This particular day he was *so* excited to have his slushy, as soon as we exited the gas station he took off running to the car. I bolted after him (being a bit faster than his tiny little kid legs) and snatched him up, put him in his spot in the car, recollected the slushy and said "What did you do wrong?"

He immediately began to cry because he realized that he was about to get dunked on. So, I recollected the slushy and put it in the front seat with me. When we arrived home, I placed him in his all metal disciplinary chair ("The Insolence Chair") which faces a blank, white wall. I sat beside him (as is my rule, when he's in time out, so am I). I drank his slushy, making sure every few minutes to remark upon how delicious and cool it was, and then asking him to remind me, why it was that I was getting to enjoy his most delicious slushy and not him. He would answer "because I ran through a parking lot" and I would nod, and say "you're right" and take another sip. The entire process took a little over an hour. Since then, he has never left my side in a parking lot, nor has he ever questioned any of my other rules.
20 Frags +

i would be fucking pissed if anyone took a slushy from me and ate it

i would be fucking pissed if anyone took a slushy from me and ate it
52 Frags +

It was delicious

It was delicious
4 Frags +
MarxistSo, he was in pre-school, about 4 years old, which makes this story about 3 years old. We had a tradition that should he get a "green light" in preschool (they had a citizenship system, that if they did all of their work and didn't get in trouble they'd get a "green light" for the day and a "red light" if they fucked up somehow) every day of the week (that is to say 3 green lights in a row), we would go to this gas station and get any kind of junk food he wanted. This gas station has a pretty exceptional array of slushy flavors and he would typically pick to have a slushy - which I liked because they're only a dollar. I have only one hard and fast rule about public spaces - that if we're *anywhere* near a car at any point he has to either hold my hand or hold onto me in some way shape or form. This particular day he was *so* excited to have his slushy, as soon as we exited the gas station he took off running to the car. I bolted after him (being a bit faster than his tiny little kid legs) and snatched him up, put him in his spot in the car, recollected the slushy and said "What did you do wrong?"

My father tells me the only time he had to use corporal punishment as a child was when I repeatedly ran out into the street, despite him telling me not to. Little kids don't realize how dangerous cars are, and it's especially bad if you live on a major thoroughfare like we did. I'm pretty grateful to him for laying down the law in that situation, and it sounds like you have a pretty good system too. That shit's important.

[quote=Marxist]So, he was in pre-school, about 4 years old, which makes this story about 3 years old. We had a tradition that should he get a "green light" in preschool (they had a citizenship system, that if they did all of their work and didn't get in trouble they'd get a "green light" for the day and a "red light" if they fucked up somehow) every day of the week (that is to say 3 green lights in a row), we would go to this gas station and get any kind of junk food he wanted. This gas station has a pretty exceptional array of slushy flavors and he would typically pick to have a slushy - which I liked because they're only a dollar. I have only one hard and fast rule about public spaces - that if we're *anywhere* near a car at any point he has to either hold my hand or hold onto me in some way shape or form. This particular day he was *so* excited to have his slushy, as soon as we exited the gas station he took off running to the car. I bolted after him (being a bit faster than his tiny little kid legs) and snatched him up, put him in his spot in the car, recollected the slushy and said "What did you do wrong?"
[/quote]

My father tells me the only time he had to use corporal punishment as a child was when I repeatedly ran out into the street, despite him telling me not to. Little kids don't realize how dangerous cars are, and it's especially bad if you live on a major thoroughfare like we did. I'm pretty grateful to him for laying down the law in that situation, and it sounds like you have a pretty good system too. That shit's important.
2 Frags +
Show Content
I don't
[spoiler]I don't[/spoiler]
3 Frags +
MarxistIt was delicious

What flavor?

[quote=Marxist]It was delicious[/quote]
What flavor?
5 Frags +
HuckMarxistIt was deliciousWhat flavor?

i'm gonna guess blue

[quote=Huck][quote=Marxist]It was delicious[/quote]
What flavor?[/quote]
i'm gonna guess blue
9 Frags +
MarxistI placed him in his all metal disciplinary chair ("The Insolence Chair") which faces a blank, white wall

Where the hell did "the insolence chair" come from? Not trying to question your parenting, that's just a little out of no where and I'm interested what prompted it.

[quote=Marxist]I placed him in his all metal disciplinary chair ("The Insolence Chair") which faces a blank, white wall[/quote]
Where the hell did "the insolence chair" come from? Not trying to question your parenting, that's just a little out of no where and I'm interested what prompted it.
6 Frags +

That's like pulp fiction, marxist. Absolutely halarious.

That's like pulp fiction, marxist. Absolutely halarious.
9 Frags +

The insolence chair is a reference to Austin Powers where Dr. Evil mentions that whenever he was insolent he was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds as a child. Also the flavor that particular day was a mixture of Cherry flavor on the bottom, a small midsection of Coke, topped off with additional cherry (he likes to make them look kinda silly). He still does the same to this day, although he sometimes mixes in other flavors lol, they have like 10 flavors to pick from.

The insolence chair is a reference to Austin Powers where Dr. Evil mentions that whenever he was insolent he was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds as a child. Also the flavor that particular day was a mixture of Cherry flavor on the bottom, a small midsection of Coke, topped off with additional cherry (he likes to make them look kinda silly). He still does the same to this day, although he sometimes mixes in other flavors lol, they have like 10 flavors to pick from.
14 Frags +
Teapot_Last year I did the stupid thing and prioritised tf2 over uni, peaking at ~110 hours/2 weeks during exam weeks.. Not gonna let that happen this time around.

i dropped out to focus on my DM

[quote=Teapot_]Last year I did the stupid thing and prioritised tf2 over uni, peaking at ~110 hours/2 weeks during exam weeks.. Not gonna let that happen this time around.[/quote]
i dropped out to focus on my DM
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.