Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
Bad Load Times
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

My TF2 used to load a map in ~10 seconds, now it has slowed to be anywhere from 50-100 seconds.

Along with this the game will randomly stutter and skip for a second, or psuedo-crash and freeze up for as long as a minute. Any tips?

P.S. The change happened overnight so no malware or viruses are causing the problem (I have also done virus checks to be sure)

I have also verified my tf2 files

My TF2 used to load a map in ~10 seconds, now it has slowed to be anywhere from 50-100 seconds.

Along with this the game will randomly stutter and skip for a second, or psuedo-crash and freeze up for as long as a minute. Any tips?

P.S. The change happened overnight so no malware or viruses are causing the problem (I have also done virus checks to be sure)

1 Frags +
Knuckles_My TF2 used to load a map in ~10 seconds, now it has slowed to be anywhere from 50-100 seconds.

Are you on a HDD?

If you are it's entirely possible the drive is failing.

-edit-
that or your install of TF2 is horrifyingly fragmented

[quote=Knuckles_]My TF2 used to load a map in ~10 seconds, now it has slowed to be anywhere from 50-100 seconds.

I have also verified my tf2 files[/quote]

Are you on a HDD?

If you are it's entirely possible the drive is failing.

-edit-
that or your install of TF2 is horrifyingly fragmented
0 Frags +

I am, but considering I bought this rig in late May I dont think/I am hoping that isnt the case

I am, but considering I bought this rig in late May I dont think/I am hoping that isnt the case
0 Frags +

I would make sure all your configs are in tf/custom/WHATEVER/cfg, then back up your custom folder and totally uninstall tf2. Also save demos if you care about those.

It takes a while to download depending on your internet speed so maybe do that overnight?

I would make sure all your configs are in tf/custom/WHATEVER/cfg, then back up your custom folder and totally uninstall tf2. Also save demos if you care about those.

It takes a while to download depending on your internet speed so maybe do that overnight?
0 Frags +

I get 20 mbps dl, so I may as well do it now. Was hoping it wouldn't come to this lol

I get 20 mbps dl, so I may as well do it now. Was hoping it wouldn't come to this lol
0 Frags +

I just noticed that the lag/stuttering is reaching outside of just TF2...

I don't think I am gonna spend time reinstalling if there may be a bigger issue.

For instance my computer is estimating 1 hour to move 13 GB of data (I have a lot of demos lol). The hard drive has been defraged so I dont think that is the issue. Could my hard drive be complete garbage and it died in 4 months?

Also on a not-so-slow internet connection my chrome takes ~30 seconds to load any new page, usually stuck on a white screen for a bit

I just noticed that the lag/stuttering is reaching outside of just TF2...

I don't think I am gonna spend time reinstalling if there may be a bigger issue.

For instance my computer is estimating 1 hour to move 13 GB of data (I have a lot of demos lol). The hard drive has been defraged so I dont think that is the issue. Could my hard drive be complete garbage and it died in 4 months?

Also on a not-so-slow internet connection my chrome takes ~30 seconds to load any new page, usually stuck on a white screen for a bit
9 Frags +

I think you've stumbled upon the answer. The drive is most probably failing. SSD time, baby!

I think you've stumbled upon the answer. The drive is most probably failing. SSD time, baby!
0 Frags +

Just ran a HDD test for my hard drive, but it came back without a hitch. Gonna go play tf2 for a bit and see if I feel the issue it still there

Just ran a HDD test for my hard drive, but it came back without a hitch. Gonna go play tf2 for a bit and see if I feel the issue it still there
1 Frags +

Still the same issue. All diagnostic test show no issue with my HDD

Still the same issue. All diagnostic test show no issue with my HDD
0 Frags +

This has been happening to me too, and I am pretty sure that my hard drive is failing (which makes sense due to its age). Any recommendations? Also I do not have the money to spend on SSDs, so they arent an option for me.

This has been happening to me too, and I am pretty sure that my hard drive is failing (which makes sense due to its age). Any recommendations? Also I do not have the money to spend on SSDs, so they arent an option for me.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.