Upvote Upvoted 4 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3
thoughts on ebola virus in U.S.
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

a dallas native was diagnosed with ebola after coming back from africa. he is in the hospital and the ebola virus is now 'officially' in the U.S., but the people he came in contact with and him are under quarantine at the moment. thoughts on this? kinda scary tbh, considering its killed thousands of people already.

a dallas native was diagnosed with ebola after coming back from africa. he is in the hospital and the ebola virus is now 'officially' in the U.S., but the people he came in contact with and him are under quarantine at the moment. thoughts on this? kinda scary tbh, considering its killed thousands of people already.
35 Frags +

first world countries should be fine. ebola spread so quickly in africa because of poor hygiene and the quality of the hospitals.

first world countries should be fine. ebola spread so quickly in africa because of poor hygiene and the quality of the hospitals.
26 Frags +

don't lick any ebola patients and you will be ok

don't lick any ebola patients and you will be ok
-4 Frags +

Relevant youtube link

Not to say that ebola isn't pretty darned horrifying... But it isn't airborne, it's not easily transferred so I doubt you have much to worry about (especially within the established medical system of the US).

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyFhwdtCMk]Relevant youtube link[/url]

Not to say that ebola isn't pretty darned horrifying... But it isn't airborne, it's not easily transferred so I doubt you have much to worry about (especially within the established medical system of the US).
5 Frags +
DAS44Relevant youtube link

neither is AIDS, just saying.

its definitely not something to ignore. I don't think you realize how easily you could infect hundreds of people just by bringing it to the gym with you.

[quote=DAS44][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyFhwdtCMk]Relevant youtube link[/url]

Not to say that ebola isn't pretty darned horrifying... But it isn't airborne, it's not easily transferred so I doubt you have much to worry about (especially within the established medical system of the US).[/quote]

neither is AIDS, just saying.

its definitely not something to ignore. I don't think you realize how easily you could infect hundreds of people just by bringing it to the gym with you.
-9 Frags +

ebola is easier to get than hiv. what happens if a patient sneezes wipe the mucus off with their hands then open a door? you open that door and maybe eat something a little later cya kid

ebola is easier to get than hiv. what happens if a patient sneezes wipe the mucus off with their hands then open a door? you open that door and maybe eat something a little later cya kid
1 Frags +

it sucks africa has had to go through what it has with this, but i'm more than sure we're perfectly fine over here.

it sucks africa has had to go through what it has with this, but i'm more than sure we're perfectly fine over here.
0 Frags +

I was just stating it's pretty hard to get HIV yet it spread like wildfire for a while here in the US

I was just stating it's pretty hard to get HIV yet it spread like wildfire for a while here in the US
17 Frags +

thats because everyone was just laying their dicks on things for a while

thats because everyone was just laying their dicks on things for a while
22 Frags +

HIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.

HIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.
0 Frags +

Also HIV requires that you never have unprotected sex for the rest of your life (people don't like that). Ebola only requires that you lay low for a few weeks or so (easier since you will be nearly dead for a few weeks then maybe actually will be dead after a few weeks).

Also HIV requires that you never have unprotected sex for the rest of your life (people don't like that). Ebola only requires that you lay low for a few weeks or so (easier since you will be nearly dead for a few weeks then maybe actually will be dead after a few weeks).
-1 Frags +

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-01/how-bad-could-it-get-us-government-order-160000-hazmat-suits-gives-clue

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-01/how-bad-could-it-get-us-government-order-160000-hazmat-suits-gives-clue
9 Frags +
flameneither is AIDS, just saying.

The onset of symptoms post infection of ebola sticks between 2 and 21 days (admittedly, 3 weeks is a good long period of time), but as that video states it can only be transferred by someone who is experiencing the symptoms of it at the time. If I was dealing with those sorts of symptoms... I'd be heading to the ER, not the gym.

STDs by contrast are more subtle, and more long-standing (in that ebola tends to work quickly... whereas you have a much longer period of time to transmit an STD without knowing it). Citing the Centers for Disease control around 1.1 million people in the US have HIV, a hefty number, but one that has had a long time to grow/stabilize.

All that being said, basic cleanliness/hygiene practices are never something to skimp on anyway.

Not a medical professional, just going by what credible information I've seen/can find.

[quote=flame]neither is AIDS, just saying.

its definitely not something to ignore. I don't think you realize how easily you could infect hundreds of people just by bringing it to the gym with you.[/quote]
The onset of symptoms post infection of ebola sticks between 2 and 21 days (admittedly, 3 weeks is a good long period of time), but as that video states it can only be transferred by someone who is [b]experiencing the symptoms of it at the time[/b]. If I was dealing with those sorts of symptoms... I'd be heading to the ER, not the gym.

STDs by contrast are more subtle, and more long-standing (in that ebola tends to work quickly... whereas you have a much longer period of time to transmit an STD without knowing it). Citing the Centers for Disease control around 1.1 million people in the US have HIV, a hefty number, but one that has had a long time to grow/stabilize.

All that being said, basic cleanliness/hygiene practices are never something to skimp on anyway.

Not a medical professional, just going by what credible information I've seen/can find.
-8 Frags +

if i die i just want to say this

i got a 70 on a test that i never told my asian parents

if i die i just want to say this

-5 Frags +
Ferskinif i die i just want to say this

dont worry i never told my asian parents that i failed all of my biology tests sophomore year 8)

[quote=Ferskin]if i die i just want to say this

i got a 70 on a test that i never told my asian parents[/quote]

dont worry i never told my asian parents that i failed all of my biology tests sophomore year 8)
12 Frags +

http://i.imgur.com/nNnmolc.jpg

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nNnmolc.jpg[/IMG]
18 Frags +

**YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED BY THE MASSKILLER EBOLA**
Lots of bleeding and death will come to you, but only if you don't post this in 3 other threads.

░░░░░▄▄▄
░▄▄▄█░░░█░░░░░░░░
█░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░ ██░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░░█▄
░░ █░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀█░░░█
░ █░░░░░█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ░░░ ▀█░░█
░ █░░█▀▀ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █░░█
░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░ Mr.Ebola░░░░░░░░░ █░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ▀▀▀▀

**YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED BY THE MASSKILLER EBOLA**
Lots of bleeding and death will come to you, but only if you don't post this in 3 other threads.

░░░░░▄▄▄
░▄▄▄█░░░█░░░░░░░░
█░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░ ██░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░░█▄
░░ █░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀█░░░█
░ █░░░░░█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ░░░ ▀█░░█
░ █░░█▀▀ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █░░█
░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░ Mr.Ebola░░░░░░░░░ █░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ▀▀▀▀
-6 Frags +
kuzaHIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.

incubation of ebola can last up to 3 weeks.

[quote=kuza]HIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.[/quote]
incubation of ebola can last up to 3 weeks.
-4 Frags +
shampooconditionerFerskinif i die i just want to say this

teach me your ways

[quote=shampooconditioner][quote=Ferskin]if i die i just want to say this

i got a 70 on a test that i never told my asian parents[/quote]

dont worry i never told my asian parents that i failed all of my biology tests sophomore year 8)[/quote]
teach me your ways
1 Frags +
marketkuzaHIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.incubation of ebola can last up to 3 weeks.

Which is the very long end of that spectrum, and still a far cry from the incubation (that's not the right word but I don't know a better one) of HIV that can last years.

[quote=market][quote=kuza]HIV will go unnoticed for a long time while you infect other people. Ebola will kill you in days, so that's why HIV will never go away, and Ebola will.[/quote]
incubation of ebola can last up to 3 weeks.[/quote]
Which is the very long end of that spectrum, and still a far cry from the incubation (that's not the right word but I don't know a better one) of HIV that can last years.
-8 Frags +

GET TO THE BUNKER BOYS THE END IS COMING

GET TO THE BUNKER BOYS THE END IS COMING
-11 Frags +

i heard eBola spreads thru the internet???

i'm going to close this thread rlly fast to b sure

i heard eBola spreads thru the internet???

i'm going to close this thread rlly fast to b sure
6 Frags +

Despite the Dallas native indeed being infected and many people fucking up completely with his entire situation and not catching the signs of the virus as early as they could, a country like the U.S. doesn't have much to fear about. In African countries one significant factor for it spreading was that many people in countries like Sierra Leone and Liberia have an inherent distrust in medical authorities due to them being connected to the government, which hasn't had a great civic relationship with a large percentage of the population due to unpopular decisions and civil wars. That kind of stigma, of having a huge amount of mistrust for healthcare workers, doesn't really exist in the U.S. close to the degree that it does where Ebola originated.

Despite the Dallas native indeed being infected and many people fucking up completely with his entire situation and not catching the signs of the virus as early as they could, a country like the U.S. doesn't have much to fear about. In African countries one significant factor for it spreading was that many people in countries like Sierra Leone and Liberia have an inherent distrust in medical authorities due to them being connected to the government, which hasn't had a great civic relationship with a large percentage of the population due to unpopular decisions and civil wars. That kind of stigma, of having a huge amount of mistrust for healthcare workers, doesn't really exist in the U.S. close to the degree that it does where Ebola originated.
6 Frags +

People who are freaking out are only doing so to create hype/because they don't actually know shit about filoviral hemorrhagic fevers in general. Even if you are infected, you're gonna be alright.

Unless you live in Africa, then you're probably boned.

People who are freaking out are only doing so to create hype/because they don't actually know shit about filoviral hemorrhagic fevers in general. Even if you are infected, you're gonna be alright.

Unless you live in Africa, then you're probably boned.
23 Frags +

alright so you can get it from bodily fluids of someone infected i think 99% of the tf2 community is safe then since they never go within 100ft of any women let alone go outside

alright so you can get it from bodily fluids of someone infected i think 99% of the tf2 community is safe then since they never go within 100ft of any women let alone go outside
4 Frags +

The main reason it's spread so fast in West Africa is that people come into contact with infected animals far more regularly than they'd ever come into contact with them in the US (pet monkeys) and the ebola is also in their food supply (bush meat aka monkey meat). The lack of healthcare facilities - and also early on the fact that a lot of people didn't believe that ebola was a thing - has also played its part in allowing the disease to spread. In general even if it does get hot and heavy in the US most people will be fine unless they try to care for sick people and get their blood all over them.

The main reason it's spread so fast in West Africa is that people come into contact with infected animals far more regularly than they'd ever come into contact with them in the US (pet monkeys) and the ebola is also in their food supply (bush meat aka monkey meat). The lack of healthcare facilities - and also early on the fact that a lot of people didn't believe that ebola was a thing - has also played its part in allowing the disease to spread. In general even if it does get hot and heavy in the US most people will be fine unless they try to care for sick people and get their blood all over them.
20 Frags +

Move to Madagascar before they close the ports.

Move to Madagascar before they close the ports.
Momentum Mod
-3 Frags +

flame post gold

flame post gold
5 Frags +

My family in Nigeria cant leave because they closed all the airports from east to west africa

My family in Nigeria cant leave because they closed all the airports from east to west africa
-10 Frags +

Hopefully doesn't snowball before ESEA LAN

Hopefully doesn't snowball before ESEA LAN
1 2 3
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.