Upvote Upvoted 21 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
ESEA S17 Open Playoff Predictions UR1
posted in News
london_calling
October 7, 2014

You all know what this is. After waiting for a month, playoffs have finally arrived. Knowing most of you, I can safely assume that maybe two or three teams have actually been scrimming during this break, and everyone else has been jerking off and starting school. This first week is going to be pretty boring, with the disparity in the top 16 so wide that most of the matches can only be rolls. The closer matches in the middle of the pack will be pretty exciting to watch, but other than that I don't expect a whole lot of crazy games this first round. Good luck to y'all, hopefully most of the teams stayed alive through the month of September.

Sparkle Bunnies vs Not Up to Var

• Bunny
  • hero1
  • kent
  • blew
  • gls
  • oobii
  • zed4
  • explosion sauce
  • scorponok
  • RAWRWAFL
  • jmlklblck
  • tatuwah

Not much to say here other than Chad will probably do something silly for most of the match. I don't know very many people on Not Up to Var pretty much at all, but hopefully they are prepared to get stomped on, as there isn't much I think this team can do except hope to get a round off of Sparkle Bunnies. Welcome to Open. 5-0 in favor of Sparkle Bunnies.

Players to Watch: hero1, gloobii, jmlklblck

Kawaii 5-o vs Hotel Moskau

• figsy
  • caidh
  • muffin
  • topshot
  • miwo
  • seymour
  • Idrae
  • alex
  • unwitty
  • simon
  • Brujeria
  • ptd

This match has potential to be close, but even though Hotel Moskau has had a pretty interesting season with a few upset wins and strong showings against players above their caliber, Kawaii 5-o has proven during the last week of the season that they have their stuff together (mostly). I really doubt that anyone on Kawaii 5-o has even tried to scrim this past month, so if Hotel Moskau has tried to keep their game up they could catch Kawaii unaware during this first round. Alas, I have to give it up to Topshot and Seymour with their pure fragging ability, and miwo for being the cutest gamer on the team now that Remedy is gone. 5-2 in favor of Kawaii 5-o.

Players to Watch: Simon, Idrae, Seymiwo, Topshot

Airheads vs Pinoy Boys

• KBlair
  • scrimshaw
  • geknaiir
  • Skyrolla
  • airrrrr
  • Neozius
  • Mr Owl
  • Nick
  • Cloudmaker
  • v3kz
  • deathy
  • crunkmasterflex

Another matchup that looks like it could be a close game, but rumor has it the match may not even happen due to a fire in Kblair's apartment. This isn't confirmed or anything, but it might explain some complications should Airheads decide to forfeit their first round of playoffs. Scrims have seen Airheads trying out some different roles on the team, with Air returning to demo for a week or two and then going back to scout, but even so I would expect Pinoy Boys to be a little shakey with the loss of Zambler combined with severe lack of practice time with their new starters. Airheads should expect a relatively easy win if Kblair didn't burn up in an apartment fire. 5-1 in favor of Airheads if the match actually gets played.

Players to Watch: Airrrrrr, Geknaiir (for laughs), Deathy, crunkmasterFLEX

MAD LUXURIOUS vs some explosions in sky

• lucrative
  • Jaybenaduchi
  • Hellbent
  • Dingod
  • Dance#
  • Fox
  • shdwpuppet
  • KhntiJggsh
  • Benroads
  • Kuestif
  • rastsy
  • Prime^

The team formerly known as Cake Dough Cheddar is my for sure favorite pick to win Open currently. Lush going to medic and Dingo playing demo is going to change this team dynamic dramatically, though I fully expect the soldiers to shine as brightly as they already have all season long. The first couple rounds aren't going to be anything all that exciting, although its been fun watching this team this season for sure. Some explosions in sky have a bit of talent on the team, but I just don't see them coming close to matching Mad Luxurious in DM or speedy decision making. Look for Fox to go ham on sniper for one round like he always does, mostly likely pushing/defending second. 5-0 in favor of MAD LUXURIOUS.

Players to Watch: Benroads, Rastsy, Dingo, Jaybenaduchi

No Johns vs Off Top

• Mahhk
  • Huck
  • Simulate
  • powergamer
  • demoted
  • ex
  • lydi
  • Tidy
  • Anthony500
  • James.Shocka
  • Antwan
  • Nevdawg

No Johns are one of those teams I always wanted to put into the rankings a bit higher and never could bring myself to just do it. They have a pretty strong flank, and a decent combo, and its done well for them this season so far. Off Top has had their fair share of ups and downs all season, and have made a bit of an effort to keep on scrimming during the break. This match might be a little closer than some people may think depending on how much No Johns have been scrimming, and whether they have been learning anything from those scrims. I know for sure Off Top hasn't really learned shit all season, but I see them still doing well this post season until they hit teams in the top 5. I predict a 5-3 in favor of Off Top.

Players to Watch: James Shocka, Tidy, demoted, powergamer

Luca Goers vs Hungry Hungry Ogres

• Nursey
  • Bill
  • Connor
  • Safrix
  • Trip
  • Bowswer
  • Klepp
  • Rigel
  • Punisher
  • Vand
  • Boon
  • Rooks

Luca Goers are probably the biggest wild card team in Open this season, taking some big wins off of teams at the top of the pile and having some less than stellar defeats to teams not quite in the top 5. Hungry Hungry Ogres also had some decent wins over some big names, although more often than not they fell just short of coming out on top when it came to teams in the top 10. For all intents and purposes, either of these teams could walk away with a win here but in light of their end of the season performance, I think Luca Goers are poised to make some waves in the upper bracket these coming weeks. 5-3 in favor of Luca Goers.

Players to Watch: Bill, Tripswer, Rigel, Boon

Champagne and Cocaine vs Graveguns Aneurysm

• Saam
  • Super
  • Flatline
  • Muma
  • Joshuawn
  • the bush kangaroo
  • Ringo
  • Paul
  • phelon
  • Hippo
  • Mangoes
  • NateRivers

Graveguns Aneurysm are going to out DM Champagne and Cocaine, I'm pretty sure. Super is a decent soldier, and Flatline is pretty decent as well, but Naterivers and Power Mangoes are a little too strong for Open. 5-0 in favor of Graveguns Aneurysm.

Players to Watch: Naterivers, Power Mangoes, Super, Flatline

American Jerks vs dddddddddddddddddd

• Novuna
  • Bil
  • Walka
  • Dagger
  • Corsa
  • Rummy
  • Bearadactyl
  • KTB
  • Candle
  • Magus
  • Mgib
  • Spello

Hypothetically, this should be the closest match this week in terms of skill level, as these teams are right in the middle of the top 16. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how true that is, as I think ddddddddddddddddddddd will win pretty convincingly here. American Jerks are by no means push overs in any respect, I just don't think this match up will be as close as it could have been. That's Open for ya. 5-1 in favor of the d's.

Players to Watch: Corsa, Walka, Mgib, KTB

1 Frags +

IM preds to come tomorrow, waiting on one last person to submit the last pred.

IM preds to come tomorrow, waiting on one last person to submit the last pred.
9 Frags +

thank you for taking the time to write these london~

thank you for taking the time to write these london~
8 Frags +

If geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.

If geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.
-2 Frags +
Mr_OwlIf geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.

if you ever manage to keep something i tell you to yourself my head will probably explode from sheer surprise

[quote=Mr_Owl]If geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.[/quote]
if you ever manage to keep something i tell you to yourself my head will probably explode from sheer surprise
3 Frags +
Air_Mr_OwlIf geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.if you ever manage to keep something i tell you to yourself my head will probably explode from sheer surprise

Like 30% of the things you tell me are true soooooooo

[quote=Air_][quote=Mr_Owl]If geknaiir does anything worthy of watching I swear I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.[/quote]
if you ever manage to keep something i tell you to yourself my head will probably explode from sheer surprise[/quote]

Like 30% of the things you tell me are true soooooooo
0 Frags +

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Fire-Forces-Nearly-100-From-Their-Homes-278340241.html

air: is your computer okay
KBlair is on FIRE!!: i have renters insurance

Mr_OwlLike 30% of the things you tell me are true soooooooo

thats even more of a reason to not say anything i say over again.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Fire-Forces-Nearly-100-From-Their-Homes-278340241.html

air: is your computer okay
KBlair is on FIRE!!: i have renters insurance

[quote=Mr_Owl]
Like 30% of the things you tell me are true soooooooo[/quote]

thats even more of a reason to not say anything i say over again.
0 Frags +

Just a heads up, the Graveguns x Cocaine header links to Sparkle vs Var.

Great writeup!

Just a heads up, the Graveguns x Cocaine header links to Sparkle vs Var.

Great writeup!
2 Frags +

woot woot.

good luck to the playoffs teams.

maybe some TF.TV casting later on for the most exciting games?

woot woot.

good luck to the playoffs teams.

maybe some TF.TV casting later on for the most exciting games?
1 Frags +

good writeup

good luck gamers

good writeup

good luck gamers
2 Frags +

Nice work london.

Nice work london.
3 Frags +

confirmed for team who jerked off in the off season.

confirmed for team who jerked off in the off season.
4 Frags +
WithADanceNumberconfirmed for team who jerked off in the off season.
[quote=WithADanceNumber]confirmed for team who jerked off in the off season.[/quote]
1 Frags +

nice write up

i'd put bowswers (in particular) in "players to watch." he is good!

nice write up

0 Frags +
miwonice write up

thank you miwo! that's really kind of you to say.

[quote=miwo]nice write up

i'd put bowswers (in particular) in "players to watch." he is good![/quote]

thank you miwo! that's really kind of you to say.
3 Frags +
miwonice write up

but is he a cleanly gamer?????

[quote=miwo]nice write up

i'd put bowswers (in particular) in "players to watch." he is good![/quote]

but is he a cleanly gamer?????
5 Frags +

how do u pronounce the consonants 'wsw' in bowswer without looking like u take tranquilizers recreationally

how do u pronounce the consonants 'wsw' in bowswer without looking like u take tranquilizers recreationally
2 Frags +

bow-swer

like swerve without the v

ez

bow-swer

like swerve without the v

ez
-3 Frags +

team simon woot

team simon woot
1 Frags +

so are we gonna be able to postpone the second round matches till after gxl?

because i'm not gonna have anything besides a hotel internet connection on thursday or friday night

so are we gonna be able to postpone the second round matches till after gxl?

because i'm not gonna have anything besides a hotel internet connection on thursday or friday night
-1 Frags +
SixteenthOwlteam simon woot

nvm :(

[quote=SixteenthOwl]team simon woot[/quote]

4 Frags +
SixteenthOwlSixteenthOwlteam simon woot

couldn't deliver :c choked too hard

[quote=SixteenthOwl][quote=SixteenthOwl]team simon woot[/quote]

nvm :([/quote]

couldn't deliver :c choked too hard
1 Frags +

Hypothetically, this should be the closest match this week in terms of skill level, as these teams are right in the middle of the top 16. Honestly, I’m not quite sure how true that is, as I think ddddddddddddddddddddd will win pretty convincingly here. American Jerks are by no means push overs in any respect, I just don’t think this match up will be as close as it could have been. That’s Open for ya. 5-1 in favor of the d’s

ok so rave told me you don't particularly care about open and i know you are bugged a lot about these articles but don't you think it's a little silly that the reason you gave for thinking one team is going to beat the other is "that's open for ya"? I know that you put in a lot of time to watch matches but i think that this choice was pretty obviously random and that you didn't really care. Maybe instead of writing thoughtless blurbs you could get people to interview leaders of the team or something idk. I appreciate these articles and they are usually pretty fun to read, but this one just stood out to me as pretty lame. Sorry if this sounded nickpicky

edit: quotes are hard

Hypothetically, this should be the closest match this week in terms of skill level, as these teams are right in the middle of the top 16. Honestly, I’m not quite sure how true that is, as I think ddddddddddddddddddddd will win pretty convincingly here. American Jerks are by no means push overs in any respect, I just don’t think this match up will be as close as it could have been. That’s Open for ya. 5-1 in favor of the d’s

ok so rave told me you don't particularly care about open and i know you are bugged a lot about these articles but don't you think it's a little silly that the reason you gave for thinking one team is going to beat the other is "that's open for ya"? I know that you put in a lot of time to watch matches but i think that this choice was pretty obviously random and that you didn't really care. Maybe instead of writing thoughtless blurbs you could get people to interview leaders of the team or something idk. I appreciate these articles and they are usually pretty fun to read, but this one just stood out to me as pretty lame. Sorry if this sounded nickpicky

5 Frags +
highfiveHypothetically, this should be the closest match this week in terms of skill level, as these teams are right in the middle of the top 16. Honestly, I’m not quite sure how true that is, as I think ddddddddddddddddddddd will win pretty convincingly here. American Jerks are by no means push overs in any respect, I just don’t think this match up will be as close as it could have been. That’s Open for ya. 5-1 in favor of the d’s

when i said "thats open for ya" i meant the fact that the way these teams got seeded were not really indicative of their skill level. I'm stoked that American Jerks won so handily, its always nice to be proven wrong. sorry if it seemed lame that I "don't care", but I do put thought into this stuff. The first round of playoffs I don't expect to really be all that exciting.

Interviewing TF2 players is a joke. Its impossible to get good content from people who don't want to give it, and in my experience (doing this for like 4 seasons now? something like that) its a waste of time to reach out to players to ask them how their team is doing when they don't really want to take a conversation like that seriously. There have been people in the past that have been really responsive, but the majority of the people I have interviewed or tried to interview have been really disappointing.

Also, don't listen to rave. I take this pretty seriously (who knows why) and try to deliver good content.

Congrats to American Jerks on the win.

[quote=highfive]Hypothetically, this should be the closest match this week in terms of skill level, as these teams are right in the middle of the top 16. Honestly, I’m not quite sure how true that is, as I think ddddddddddddddddddddd will win pretty convincingly here. American Jerks are by no means push overs in any respect, I just don’t think this match up will be as close as it could have been. That’s Open for ya. 5-1 in favor of the d’s

edit: quotes are hard[/quote]

when i said "thats open for ya" i meant the fact that the way these teams got seeded were not really indicative of their skill level. I'm stoked that American Jerks won so handily, its always nice to be proven wrong. sorry if it seemed lame that I "don't care", but I do put thought into this stuff. The first round of playoffs I don't expect to really be all that exciting.

Interviewing TF2 players is a joke. Its impossible to get good content from people who don't want to give it, and in my experience (doing this for like 4 seasons now? something like that) its a waste of time to reach out to players to ask them how their team is doing when they don't really want to take a conversation like that seriously. There have been people in the past that have been really responsive, but the majority of the people I have interviewed or tried to interview have been really disappointing.

Also, don't listen to rave. I take this pretty seriously (who knows why) and try to deliver good content.

Congrats to American Jerks on the win.
1 Frags +

just the way you worded it made it come off as if you didn't really think about it and you wrote it off as something you didn't care about, so in the end it was kind of nit picky. i guess the real criticism of the article should be why didn't you explain why you thought dddd was going win? because there isn't any thought process shown in the article

edit: i'm guessing you were probably just crunched for time and wanted to get this out

just the way you worded it made it come off as if you didn't really think about it and you wrote it off as something you didn't care about, so in the end it was kind of nit picky. i guess the real criticism of the article should be why didn't you explain why you thought dddd was going win? because there isn't any thought process shown in the article

edit: i'm guessing you were probably just crunched for time and wanted to get this out
0 Frags +
highfivejust the way you worded it made it come off as if you didn't really think about it and you wrote it off as something you didn't care about, so in the end it was kind of nit picky. i guess the real criticism of the article should be why didn't you explain why you thought dddd was going win? because there isn't any thought process shown in the article

I thought d's were going to win because of their regular season performance compared to that of American Jerks. I could have poured over STVs and sizzling stats etc and maybe found a different opinion but I didn't have the time really, and writing/formatting 8 preds is already pretty time consuming. this is the first time I've had to do this by myself, usually I can split them with someone and its a lot easier.

sorry, I'm not sure what response you're looking for. there are other preds on here that I spent a lot less time thinking about than this one, TBH.

[quote=highfive]just the way you worded it made it come off as if you didn't really think about it and you wrote it off as something you didn't care about, so in the end it was kind of nit picky. i guess the real criticism of the article should be why didn't you explain why you thought dddd was going win? because there isn't any thought process shown in the article

edit: i'm guessing you were probably just crunched for time and wanted to get this out[/quote]

I thought d's were going to win because of their regular season performance compared to that of American Jerks. I could have poured over STVs and sizzling stats etc and maybe found a different opinion but I didn't have the time really, and writing/formatting 8 preds is already pretty time consuming. this is the first time I've had to do this by myself, usually I can split them with someone and its a lot easier.

sorry, I'm not sure what response you're looking for. there are other preds on here that I spent a lot less time thinking about than this one, TBH.
3 Frags +
london_calling
sorry, I'm not sure what response you're looking for.

HES OUT OF BLOOD
HES WANTS YOU TO CONFESS THAT YOU JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT OPEN
YOU JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY
IS THAT IT LONDON????????

[quote=london_calling]

sorry, I'm not sure what response you're looking for. [/quote]

HES OUT OF BLOOD
HES WANTS YOU TO CONFESS THAT YOU JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT OPEN
YOU JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY
IS THAT IT LONDON????????
-2 Frags +

swell rankings

swell rankings
3 Frags +

Can't believe London sold out

Disgusting

Can't believe London sold out

Disgusting
2 Frags +
Mr_OwlCan't believe London sold out

Disgusting

i'm sorry, who is paying me? please pay me.

[quote=Mr_Owl]Can't believe London sold out

Disgusting[/quote]

i'm sorry, who is paying me? please pay me.
3 Frags +

ESE.... oh. wait.

ESE.... oh. wait.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.