Upvote Upvoted 18 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3
NA TF2 Winter LAN: What's next after GXL?
5 Frags +

ETS is the lan i support, the city is killer and presents many opportunities as far as night life and general "Lets do shit besides sit in the dark lan center"

many people claimed they didnt come to gxl became they want more than just meeting people. ets in montreal is that more. The city is insane and because of the first ets ive actually vacationed in montreal multiply times.

Downtown is poppin crescent and bishop street etc

ETS is the lan i support, the city is killer and presents many opportunities as far as night life and general "Lets do shit besides sit in the dark lan center"

many people claimed they didnt come to gxl became they want more than just meeting people. ets in montreal is that more. The city is insane and because of the first ets ive actually vacationed in montreal multiply times.

Downtown is poppin crescent and bishop street etc
5 Frags +

Man these north east tourneys are screwing me over. Are there any Midwest LANS, or ones on the west coast or something?

Man these north east tourneys are screwing me over. Are there any Midwest LANS, or ones on the west coast or something?
0 Frags +

im considering going to ets but im not exactly sure how i will get there lol.

im considering going to ets but im not exactly sure how i will get there lol.
-3 Frags +

i wouldn't wanna go to canada but if ETS is bigger and montreal is that cool i guess ets is my vote if we can get those tf2 slots reserved

edit: nvm fuck canada !!!

i wouldn't wanna go to canada but if ETS is bigger and montreal is that cool i guess ets is my vote if we can get those tf2 slots reserved

edit: nvm fuck canada !!!
9 Frags +

The biggest deterrent keeping players away from lan is distance. Only the very dedicated players (and those with disposable income) will fly or drive double digit hours for a weekend long vacation, especially if its something happening more than once a year. Considering everything north of Montreal is basically deserted I see that location removing a big chunk of the players who can make it by driving a reasonable distance.

The other point i'll make is that the fites venue is really awesome. The lan is setup inside the hotel and food is within walking distance. Maybe i'm in the minority on this but all i'm really interested in doing at a lan is chilling with my friends from this game, playing some tf2, and eating shitty fast food. I can visit a city whenever I want. TF2 lans only happen a few times a year. The only pro i really see for ETS is its potential for growth, but I don't see that growth happening because I don't believe a massive number of players will travel such a distance for GXL AND ETS every year. I will reiterate what I said in the beginning: distance is the biggest thing keeping people from lans.

The biggest deterrent keeping players away from lan is distance. Only the very dedicated players (and those with disposable income) will fly or drive double digit hours for a weekend long vacation, especially if its something happening more than once a year. Considering everything north of Montreal is basically deserted I see that location removing a big chunk of the players who can make it by driving a reasonable distance.

The other point i'll make is that the fites venue is really awesome. The lan is setup inside the hotel and food is within walking distance. Maybe i'm in the minority on this but all i'm really interested in doing at a lan is chilling with my friends from this game, playing some tf2, and eating shitty fast food. I can visit a city whenever I want. TF2 lans only happen a few times a year. The only pro i really see for ETS is its potential for growth, but I don't see that growth happening because I don't believe a massive number of players will travel such a distance for GXL AND ETS every year. I will reiterate what I said in the beginning: distance is the biggest thing keeping people from lans.
3 Frags +
BenkMaybe i'm in the minority on this but all i'm really interested in doing at a lan is chilling with my friends from this game, playing some tf2, and eating shitty fast food. I can visit a city whenever I want.

I think that when meeting TF2 friends, it follows naturally to want to drink and have a good time with them. This, in turn, sort of leads to wanting to hit a bar/pub/whatever. There may be a few people who are not old enough or not interested in this (ps, drinking age in Canada is 19), but I think wanting to have a couple drinks is the norm; some may want one drink or to just watch folks drink, some may want a shitload with a straw.

This point alone sort of puts me in the Montreal boat if these are the two options.

[quote=Benk]Maybe i'm in the minority on this but all i'm really interested in doing at a lan is chilling with my friends from this game, playing some tf2, and eating shitty fast food. I can visit a city whenever I want.[/quote]

I think that when meeting TF2 friends, it follows naturally to want to drink and have a good time with them. This, in turn, sort of leads to wanting to hit a bar/pub/whatever. There may be a few people who are not old enough or not interested in this (ps, drinking age in Canada is 19), but I think wanting to have a couple drinks is the norm; some may want one drink or to just watch folks drink, some may want a shitload with a straw.

This point alone sort of puts me in the Montreal boat if these are the two options.
4 Frags +
GetawhaleI think that when meeting TF2 friends, it follows naturally to want to drink and have a good time with them. There may be a few people who are not old enough or not interested in this, but I think wanting to have a couple drinks is the norm; some may want one drink or to just watch folks drink, some may want a shitload with a straw.

I'm pretty sure you can get alcohol in mechanicsburg. I think anybody who was at the last fites will agree.

My point is that the main entertainment at the LAN is the people there and the LAN itself. A hopping city would be amazing but I don't think its worth the logistics strain it puts on so many people for traveling to Montreal.

[quote=Getawhale]
I think that when meeting TF2 friends, it follows naturally to want to drink and have a good time with them. There may be a few people who are not old enough or not interested in this, but I think wanting to have a couple drinks is the norm; some may want one drink or to just watch folks drink, some may want a shitload with a straw.

This point alone sort of puts me in the Montreal boat if these are the two options.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you can get alcohol in mechanicsburg. I think anybody who was at the last fites will agree.

My point is that the main entertainment at the LAN is the people there and the LAN itself. A hopping city would be amazing but I don't think its worth the logistics strain it puts on so many people for traveling to Montreal.
0 Frags +

I'd say ETS, assuming people actually go. I probably won't go in 2015 (no passport, and I'll have class that Friday and Monday for sure) but 2016 would probably work (and I'll be able to drink there!).

If only it was a week later...

To be honest a midwest LAN (near Chicago) would be nice for the winter. I'd say a west coast LAN but most of us probably wouldn't go to that.

I'd say ETS, assuming people actually go. I probably won't go in 2015 (no passport, and I'll have class that Friday and Monday for sure) but 2016 would probably work (and I'll be able to drink there!).

If only it was a week later...

To be honest a midwest LAN (near Chicago) would be nice for the winter. I'd say a west coast LAN but most of us probably wouldn't go to that.
3 Frags +

I think out of ETS and FITES this specific year, FITES is the better option. As much as I'd love to visit a hoppin' city (and visit a country I've never been to), FITES would be a much more stable LAN following up GXL, in terms of attendance (no passport sorting required for most people, similar to traveling to GXL, less expectations of running a good tournament, less chance of messing up registration, being buddy buddy with the staff).

It also depends a lot on what kind of production is gonna happen with FITES. Will it be like GXL and the previous FITES? That'd be great, and I think would be a logical step from GXL.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about attending ETS (versus FITES) following GXL, but I'm in the minority, flying from the west coast.

I think out of ETS and FITES this specific year, FITES is the better option. As much as I'd love to visit a hoppin' city (and visit a country I've never been to), FITES would be a much more stable LAN following up GXL, in terms of attendance (no passport sorting required for most people, similar to traveling to GXL, less expectations of running a good tournament, less chance of messing up registration, being buddy buddy with the staff).

It also depends a lot on what kind of production is gonna happen with FITES. Will it be like GXL and the previous FITES? That'd be great, and I think would be a logical step from GXL.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about attending ETS (versus FITES) following GXL, but I'm in the minority, flying from the west coast.
0 Frags +

would consider buying a plane ticket to montreal

+1 to ETS

would consider buying a plane ticket to montreal

+1 to ETS
8 Frags +

i would go to fites and i wouldn't go to canada so thats my answer.

i would go to fites and i wouldn't go to canada so thats my answer.
3 Frags +

the drinking age in Quebec (province that montreal is in) is actually 18

the drinking age in Quebec (province that montreal is in) is actually 18
1 Frags +

Can we please organize a LAN in like Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines, something that isn't on 1 coast or the other... (or horribly far south to make it pain for Canadians to go)

Also if I was able to go to either one I'd pick Fites.

Can we please organize a LAN in like Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines, something that isn't on 1 coast or the other... (or horribly far south to make it pain for Canadians to go)

Also if I was able to go to either one I'd pick Fites.
9 Frags +

I vote for FITES. Its in my area, and I think it has potential. Not only that, but I think it'll be more accessible by more people.

I vote for FITES. Its in my area, and I think it has potential. Not only that, but I think it'll be more accessible by more people.
15 Frags +

FITES was a lot of fun cause I had the chance to play with almost everyone there. Pugs were goin on the minute there were people ready to game. I vote for FITES.

FITES was a lot of fun cause I had the chance to play with almost everyone there. Pugs were goin on the minute there were people ready to game. I vote for FITES.
0 Frags +

Ets just because its a lan that ggglygy would visit.
Also Canada is a cool place to see.

Ets just because its a lan that ggglygy would visit.
Also Canada is a cool place to see.
0 Frags +

might not have enough players willing to go to canada to guarantee a lot of pugs tho

might not have enough players willing to go to canada to guarantee a lot of pugs tho
2 Frags +

We need a list of people who would go to ETS and a list of people who would go to FITES; people should be allowed on both lists. Compare the lists, and if the ETS list is long enough, take our next major event there. If FITES has more people, then go there.

We need a list of people who would go to ETS and a list of people who would go to FITES; people should be allowed on both lists. Compare the lists, and if the ETS list is long enough, take our next major event there. If FITES has more people, then go there.
1 Frags +

Not sure I would be able to make it to Canada with a 8 hr drive or 1.5 hr flight to Montreal for such a short period of time, so I prefer FITES if anything since I know I can 100% go.

Not sure I would be able to make it to Canada with a 8 hr drive or 1.5 hr flight to Montreal for such a short period of time, so I prefer FITES if anything since I know I can 100% go.
0 Frags +

We might look to go to the Montreal LAN if there is a decent TF2 turnout. We've kind of seen PA, no offence to Harrisberg but Montreal would offer us more.

We might look to go to the Montreal LAN if there is a decent TF2 turnout. We've kind of seen PA, no offence to Harrisberg but Montreal would offer us more.
2 Frags +
dashnergood call. added to the main post.

Also curious what the main obstacles are that are scaring people away from ETS due to the word "Canada".

Assuming just passport headaches?

That and a 7 hour drive or a plane ticket when compared to a 3.5-4 hour drive to fites

[quote=dashner]good call. added to the main post.

Also curious what the main obstacles are that are scaring people away from ETS due to the word "Canada".

Assuming just passport headaches?[/quote]

That and a 7 hour drive or a plane ticket when compared to a 3.5-4 hour drive to fites
1 Frags +

ETS also has a large fighting game tournament for anyone interested, its one of the bigger majors here.

Also for anyone who really hates driving, a flight with porter is around $300 from Toronto to Montreal.

ETS also has a large fighting game tournament for anyone interested, its one of the bigger majors here.

Also for anyone who really hates driving, a flight with porter is around $300 from Toronto to Montreal.
1 Frags +
dashnergood call. added to the main post.

Assuming just passport headaches?

More expensive plane ticket (and getting a computer across the border)
the organizers do not want to support tf2
No passport
less people willing to go in general

[quote=dashner]good call. added to the main post.

Assuming just passport headaches?[/quote]
More expensive plane ticket (and getting a computer across the border)
the organizers do not want to support tf2
No passport
less people willing to go in general
-7 Frags +

man yall are huge pussies when it comes to driving.

man yall are huge pussies when it comes to driving.
8 Frags +
downpourman yall are huge pussies when it comes to driving.

It's not the fact of driving a distance in general but why drive 7 hours when I can drive 4

[quote=downpour]man yall are huge pussies when it comes to driving.[/quote]

It's not the fact of driving a distance in general but why drive 7 hours when I can drive 4
0 Frags +

I will be going to FITES

May go to ETS if there will actually be a good tf2 turnout. Apparently its been iffy in the past. Would also only go if some other peeps from MD wanted to carpool.

I will be going to FITES

May go to ETS if there will [i]actually[/i] be a good tf2 turnout. Apparently its been iffy in the past. Would also only go if some other peeps from MD wanted to carpool.
RGB LAN
3 Frags +

I'll certainly go to FITES, as it's always a good time for TF2 and I need to defend my Street Fighter 4 title. :D

I'm also really looking forward to FITES so that I can relax with some friends and play.

I'll certainly go to FITES, as it's always a good time for TF2 and I need to defend my Street Fighter 4 title. :D

I'm also really looking forward to FITES so that I can relax with some friends and play.
0 Frags +

For the record, I'd be more willing to go to FITES than ETS. There's probably no chance of me going to the next ETS, I just feel like it would be better for the game. Just put me down for FITES.

For the record, I'd be more willing to go to FITES than ETS. There's probably no chance of me going to the next ETS, I just feel like it would be better for the game. Just put me down for FITES.
4 Frags +

FITES and I get to cuddle with duwatna again.

FITES and I get to cuddle with duwatna again.
3 Frags +

I'd go to FITES again this year, but I wouldn't go to ETS.

I'd go to FITES again this year, but I wouldn't go to ETS.
1 2 3
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.