Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
Scatter Aim Help
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Hello, When i play scout or any hit scan needed class in 6's my hitreg never works like it should. As scout i get alot of meatshots and can do decently but 90% of meatshots never register. I see sparks but no damage. Ihave good internet conection. Im from europe and i get max 100 ping on USA servers. Anyhelp or advice i can us. If so please tell me

Hello, When i play scout or any hit scan needed class in 6's my hitreg never works like it should. As scout i get alot of meatshots and can do decently but 90% of meatshots never register. I see sparks but no damage. Ihave good internet conection. Im from europe and i get max 100 ping on USA servers. Anyhelp or advice i can us. If so please tell me
7 Frags +

Welcome to tf2

Welcome to tf2
28 Frags +
MuffinDaFluffinIm from europe and i get max 100 ping on USA servers.
[quote=MuffinDaFluffin]Im from europe and i get max 100 ping on USA servers.[/quote]
8 Frags +

i am professional scout shooter, internet conneXion is best in all of eastern romania, except i hit 10% of all shots due to netgraph looking like inside of blender after creating protein shake.

Help please.

#followsezco

i am professional scout shooter, internet conneXion is best in all of eastern romania, except i hit 10% of all shots due to netgraph looking like inside of blender after creating protein shake.

Help please.

#followsezco
4 Frags +

What are you using for net settings? Generally people in comp use one of the net settings suggestions in Chris' FPS configs:

// Good connection
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000
// Bad connection
cl_cmdrate 40
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 40
rate 35000
What are you using for net settings? Generally people in comp use one of the net settings suggestions in Chris' FPS configs:
[code]// Good connection
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000[/code]

[code]// Bad connection
cl_cmdrate 40
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 40
rate 35000[/code]
4 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs[/youtube]
-2 Frags +

use a small crosshair

use a small crosshair
11 Frags +

Don't play on u.s. servers if you are in Europe.

Don't play on u.s. servers if you are in Europe.
5 Frags +
flamei am professional scout shooter, internet conneXion is best in all of eastern romania

I confirm that's 100% accurate

[quote=flame]i am professional scout shooter, internet conneXion is best in all of eastern romania[/quote]

I confirm that's 100% accurate
-3 Frags +

Idk I feel like there's just some shots you should know not to take / expect to get sparks

like if my model is clipping into theirs, 50% of the time if I take a shot there it's going to be fucked up so you can either take it and whine about it when you get sparks or just avoid that situation

Idk I feel like there's just some shots you should know not to take / expect to get sparks

like if my model is clipping into theirs, 50% of the time if I take a shot there it's going to be fucked up so you can either take it and whine about it when you get sparks or just avoid that situation
-3 Frags +

Generally when I play on higher ping I use higher interp and I can hit way more shots-- if your connection is stable then it might work for you as well! I was playing on a Brazilian server( ~200 ping) last week for example on my usual 0.0152 interp and I couldn't hit shit; then I switched to 0.06 interp and a lot of no regs on 0.0152 were hitting.

Generally when I play on higher ping I use higher interp and I can hit way more shots-- if your connection is stable then it might work for you as well! I was playing on a Brazilian server( ~200 ping) last week for example on my usual 0.0152 interp and I couldn't hit shit; then I switched to 0.06 interp and a lot of no regs on 0.0152 were hitting.
8 Frags +

viewmodel_fov 0 to turn off sparks, decreases whining by at least 90%

viewmodel_fov 0 to turn off sparks, decreases whining by at least 90%
-5 Frags +

if you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the model

if you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the model
10 Frags +

use a touch screen

use a touch screen
-1 Frags +
-protoif you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the model

cl_interp does >NOT< change the hitbox

[quote=-proto]if you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the model[/quote]
cl_interp does >NOT< change the hitbox
2 Frags +
Medusa-protoif you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the modelcl_interp does >NOT< change the hitbox

doesn't it change the model?

[quote=Medusa][quote=-proto]if you use cl_interp 0.0334 / 0.033 / 0.035 the hitbox should be pretty accurate to the model[/quote]
cl_interp does >NOT< change the hitbox[/quote]

doesn't it change the model?
0 Frags +
chugsdoesn't it change the model?

It changes how smooth the animations look from your pov.

[quote=chugs]doesn't it change the model?[/quote]
It changes how smooth the animations look from your pov.
1 Frags +

it actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.

it actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.
-1 Frags +
Turinit actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.

it doesn't change the frequency, it changes the interpolation of the network data. higher number means it uses more past information to smooth out sudden changes and prevent prediction errors. lower values will use very little past data and show you the most accurate instantaneous data.

basically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees it, with the downside of making jittery stuff like crouch jumping harder to track

[quote=Turin]it actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.[/quote]
it doesn't change the frequency, it changes the interpolation of the network data. higher number means it uses more past information to smooth out sudden changes and prevent prediction errors. lower values will use very little past data and show you the most accurate instantaneous data.

basically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees it, with the downside of making jittery stuff like crouch jumping harder to track
-1 Frags +

do ur parents know ur using their computer?

do ur parents know ur using their computer?
3 Frags +

i thought this was a nice community

i thought this was a nice community
5 Frags +
MuffinDaFluffini thought this was a nice community

Tf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.

[quote=MuffinDaFluffin]i thought this was a nice community[/quote]
Tf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.
4 Frags +
d4m0MuffinDaFluffini thought this was a nice communityTf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.

Yo if anyone thinks this is toxic you should see gotfrag. Everyone that would be on TFTV but with literally no moderation.

[quote=d4m0][quote=MuffinDaFluffin]i thought this was a nice community[/quote]
Tf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.[/quote]
Yo if anyone thinks this is toxic you should see gotfrag. Everyone that would be on TFTV but with literally no moderation.
2 Frags +
d4m0MuffinDaFluffini thought this was a nice communityTf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.

Thank you

[quote=d4m0][quote=MuffinDaFluffin]i thought this was a nice community[/quote]
Tf2's community might be but that says nothing about tftv's. Anyway try chris' net settings as posted above. They'll probably help.[/quote]
Thank you
-1 Frags +
yukiuse a touch screen
[quote=yuki]use a touch screen[/quote]
0 Frags +
Turinit actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.

You're thinking of cl_updaterate. Interp depends on updaterate though.

Medusachugsdoesn't it change the model?It changes how smooth the animations look from your pov.

No, interp makes up for timing jitter and loss of messages from the server. The engine uses interp to put models closer to where they should be. If you have high ping or the server sucks or you're just dealing with things that are moving very fast, a higher interp can and will improve your hitreg.

The downsides to high interp are that projectiles and characters appear marginally (we're talking 1/10th of a second max) further in the past than they actually are. This is why almost everyone uses ~33 ms interp for hitscan weapons instead of going for the default or the minimum, it's a tradeoff.

smobobasically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees it

NOOO. That is WRONG. Lag compensation counts interp, the hitbox as the server sees it compensates for what your interp is, increasing your interp does NOT move the model away from the hit registration hitbox on your screen; the whole entire point is that it can only make it closer.

[quote=Turin]it actually changes how often packets are sent to and from the server, so the hitbox is actually more accurate as there are more updates.[/quote]
You're thinking of cl_updaterate. Interp depends on updaterate though.

[quote=Medusa][quote=chugs]doesn't it change the model?[/quote]
It changes how smooth the animations look from your pov.[/quote]
No, interp makes up for timing jitter and loss of messages from the server. The engine uses interp to put models closer to where they should be. If you have high ping or the server sucks or you're just dealing with things that are moving very fast, a higher interp can and will improve your hitreg.

The downsides to high interp are that projectiles and characters appear marginally (we're talking 1/10th of a second max) further in the past than they actually are. This is why almost everyone uses ~33 ms interp for hitscan weapons instead of going for the default or the minimum, it's a tradeoff.

[quote=smobo]basically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees it[/quote]
NOOO. That is WRONG. Lag compensation counts interp, the hitbox as the server sees it compensates for what your interp is, increasing your interp does [b]NOT[/b] move the model away from the hit registration hitbox on your screen; the whole entire point is that it can only make it closer.
-1 Frags +
wareyasmobobasically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees itNOOO. That is WRONG. Lag compensation counts interp, the hitbox as the server sees it compensates for what your interp is, increasing your interp does NOT move the model away from the hit registration hitbox on your screen; the whole entire point is that it can only make it closer.

Go ahead and try it. Turn your interp up to the default and you'll leave more 0 damage blood marks on people.

[quote=wareya][quote=smobo]basically lower moves the model closer to the hitbox as the server sees it[/quote]
NOOO. That is WRONG. Lag compensation counts interp, the hitbox as the server sees it compensates for what your interp is, increasing your interp does [b]NOT[/b] move the model away from the hit registration hitbox on your screen; the whole entire point is that it can only make it closer.[/quote]
Go ahead and try it. Turn your interp up to the default and you'll leave more 0 damage blood marks on people.
3 Frags +
smoboGo ahead and try it. Turn your interp up to the default and you'll leave more 0 damage blood marks on people.

I actually use the default and don't run into that at all. In fact, whenever I set it to the minimum, that's when I start to get 0-damage blood marks.

It's only natural when you actually understand how source engine's interp implementation works:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Entity_interpolation

Human readable version: When your client gets messages from the server about other players' positions, they're in the wrong place, but the server doesn't know by how much, so it can't compensate when you go to shoot them.

http://i.imgur.com/Ucpx8Ss.png

-------------
Since the variation is random, source uses the cl_interp period to partially correct the stored times when the client got the hitboxes from the server. When doing that, it treats lost messages like an empty slot, rather than like they never existed. The reason the engine can't do anything more intelligent than this is that the server can start running at a variable tickrate if it's performing badly. Say goodbye to your hitreg in this case no matter what.

http://i.imgur.com/ndXhj1X.png

If you had a graph of a player's Y position and you were doing this to it, you would get a graph like this:

http://i.imgur.com/vNr2VRe.png

The red is what the server thinks it sent, the green is exactly what the client got sent, and the blue is what the client is going to do interpolation on. As you can see, it matches the red line more often, even though it seems like it has an offset.

Then, it does linear interpolation between the information in the oldest and second-oldest message in the cl_interp period to figure out what to display. When doing this, it makes sure that messages on the same animation don't skip any frames.

http://i.imgur.com/nusRv95.png

Note that there's a chance that the part where it corrects the stored times might've been some crazy obscure mod or something when I went to look into it, because it just seems like something valve's programmers wouldn't have the foresight to do. In that case, the step is skipped, and the effect is that higher interps are literally identical to lower interps except that they're more accurate when you miss messages.

Also, extremely low interps make the engine sometimes think it's missing messages even when it's not, causing extrapolation, so at the very least you should use 1.2 or something if you want the hitboxes to not start going places the server never said they did.

[quote=smobo]
Go ahead and try it. Turn your interp up to the default and you'll leave more 0 damage blood marks on people.[/quote]
I actually use the default and don't run into that at all. In fact, whenever I set it to the minimum, that's when I start to get 0-damage blood marks.

It's only natural when you actually understand how source engine's interp implementation works:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Entity_interpolation

Human readable version: When your client gets messages from the server about other players' positions, they're in the wrong place, but the server doesn't know by how much, so it can't compensate when you go to shoot them.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ucpx8Ss.png[/img]
-------------
Since the variation is random, source uses the cl_interp period to partially correct the stored times when the client got the hitboxes from the server. When doing that, it treats lost messages like an empty slot, rather than like they never existed. The reason the engine can't do anything more intelligent than this is that the server can start running at a variable tickrate if it's performing badly. Say goodbye to your hitreg in this case no matter what.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ndXhj1X.png[/img]
If you had a graph of a player's Y position and you were doing this to it, you would get a graph like this:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vNr2VRe.png[/img]
The red is what the server thinks it sent, the green is exactly what the client got sent, and the blue is what the client is going to do interpolation on. As you can see, it matches the red line more often, even though it seems like it has an offset.

Then, it does linear interpolation between the information in the oldest and second-oldest message in the cl_interp period to figure out what to display. When doing this, it makes sure that messages on the same animation don't skip any frames.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/nusRv95.png[/img]

Note that there's a chance that the part where it corrects the stored times might've been some crazy obscure mod or something when I went to look into it, because it just seems like something valve's programmers wouldn't have the foresight to do. In that case, the step is skipped, and the effect is that higher interps are [i]literally identical[/i] to lower interps except that they're more accurate when you miss messages.

Also, extremely low interps make the engine sometimes think it's missing messages even when it's not, causing extrapolation, so at the very least you should use 1.2 or something if you want the hitboxes to not start going places the server never said they did.
0 Frags +

There's this place called http://etf2l.org/.

Hitreg at 100+ ping is delayed but still accurate (at least for me!) but dodging damage is a pain in the ass. Just play sniper.

There's this place called [url=http://etf2l.org/]http://etf2l.org/[/url].

Hitreg at 100+ ping is delayed but still accurate (at least for me!) but dodging damage is a pain in the ass. Just play sniper.
3 Frags +

point blank hitreg will always suck in tf2 and in the source engine in general but as somebody whos played scout with everything from 0-260 ping i can tell you the reg is fairly consistent at mid/long range and as long as ur actually hitting your shots youll do fine

sniper however makes 0 sense and give people blimp heads at anything above like 40 ping so abuse that shit and laugh at the woes of thine enemy

point blank hitreg will always suck in tf2 and in the source engine in general but as somebody whos played scout with everything from 0-260 ping i can tell you the reg is fairly consistent at mid/long range and as long as ur actually hitting your shots youll do fine

sniper however makes 0 sense and give people blimp heads at anything above like 40 ping so abuse that shit and laugh at the woes of thine enemy
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.