Upvote Upvoted 5 Downvote Downvoted
Grand Rapids, MI
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

My girlfriend and I are planning a mini weekend vacation for next month. We chose Grand Rapids because I've heard it's a pretty cool city. It's also pretty close to us and will be pretty inexpensive. Is anyone here familiar with GR? Know any cool things to do, places to go, restaurants to eat at? We have a few restaurants we want to try and maybe check out the museum downtown (where our hotel is).
Thanks in advance for any advice!

My girlfriend and I are planning a mini weekend vacation for next month. We chose Grand Rapids because I've heard it's a pretty cool city. It's also pretty close to us and will be pretty inexpensive. Is anyone here familiar with GR? Know any cool things to do, places to go, restaurants to eat at? We have a few restaurants we want to try and maybe check out the museum downtown (where our hotel is).
Thanks in advance for any advice!
6 Frags +

I live a couple of hrs away from GR. Definitely check out San Chez (the tapas restaurant part). And get the blue cheese fritters and the pork belly.

GR is like a mini Chicago, I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that San Chez has great sangria. It's delicious if you mix the two types that they have.

I live a couple of hrs away from GR. Definitely check out San Chez (the tapas restaurant part). And get the blue cheese fritters and the pork belly.

GR is like a mini Chicago, I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that San Chez has great sangria. It's delicious if you mix the two types that they have.
7 Frags +

I lived in GR for 2 years, and its such an awesome (and might i mention, CLEAN city). Art Prize is incredible, so many artists from around the world visit. The food is killer, dont forget to visit everything. Lots of pubs, dont forget to check out the pyramid scheme for some awesome shows and drinks.

plenty of weed around as well, its practically legal. 20 dollar ticket if you get caught. idk how old you are, but the college scene is awesome too. I went to school at Kendal, if you swing by check out any student gallery's that might be open.

So yea, have fun.

I lived in GR for 2 years, and its such an awesome (and might i mention, CLEAN city). Art Prize is incredible, so many artists from around the world visit. The food is killer, dont forget to visit everything. Lots of pubs, dont forget to check out the pyramid scheme for some awesome shows and drinks.

plenty of weed around as well, its practically legal. 20 dollar ticket if you get caught. idk how old you are, but the college scene is awesome too. I went to school at Kendal, if you swing by check out any student gallery's that might be open.

So yea, have fun.
3 Frags +

I live in MI and my cousin lives in GR, great food, and definitely go to the museum! Hope you and your girlfriend have a great time!

I live in MI and my cousin lives in GR, great food, and definitely go to the museum! Hope you and your girlfriend have a great time!
1 Frags +
pascalstuff

I'll add that place to my list. Checked out the menu and it looks pretty good, thanks!

futurestuff

Unfortunately ArtPrize ended just this past weekend :/ But we're still gonna check out the museum.

And we don't smoke, but I'll look into student galleries, that sounds fun.

Speedy-Kunstuff

Thank you!

[quote=pascal]stuff[/quote]
I'll add that place to my list. Checked out the menu and it looks pretty good, thanks!

[quote=future]stuff[/quote]
Unfortunately ArtPrize ended just this past weekend :/ But we're still gonna check out the museum.

And we don't smoke, but I'll look into student galleries, that sounds fun.

[quote=Speedy-Kun]stuff[/quote]
Thank you!
2 Frags +

It's known as the city of beer if you want to try different breweries, and according to http://www.experiencegr.com/events/music-in-grand-rapids/ there is an orchestra to go to on the 24-25. I live on the east side of MI and have been to GR like 2 times, both in the summer, and love the beaches there.

It's known as the city of beer if you want to try different breweries, and according to http://www.experiencegr.com/events/music-in-grand-rapids/ there is an orchestra to go to on the 24-25. I live on the east side of MI and have been to GR like 2 times, both in the summer, and love the beaches there.
0 Frags +

that's where the hero kid and billy live in the polar express

that's where the hero kid and billy live in the polar express
0 Frags +
FenryrIt's known as the city of beer if you want to try different breweries, and according to http://www.experiencegr.com/events/music-in-grand-rapids/ there is an orchestra to go to on the 24-25. I live on the east side of MI and have been to GR like 2 times, both in the summer, and love the beaches there.

Not really into beer, more of a cider guy myself. And we're going in November, so no orchestra :/

[quote=Fenryr]It's known as the city of beer if you want to try different breweries, and according to http://www.experiencegr.com/events/music-in-grand-rapids/ there is an orchestra to go to on the 24-25. I live on the east side of MI and have been to GR like 2 times, both in the summer, and love the beaches there.[/quote]
Not really into beer, more of a cider guy myself. And we're going in November, so no orchestra :/
0 Frags +

Holland is close by, it's a neat little touristic town. I recomended a restaurant called Googs

Holland is close by, it's a neat little touristic town. I recomended a restaurant called Googs
0 Frags +

The B.O.B. is great little restaurant, not too crazy expensive. In general there's a main strip that you can enjoy pretty much the whole time. Visit Founders (for real, visit Founders) and the museum, as well as a few little dive places (trust me, the people are interesting as hell.)
Avoid fucking holland like the plague. You WILL get lost. It's shit. I've lived in this area for 26 years, fuck holland.

Saugatuck though, Saugatuck is legit.

The B.O.B. is great little restaurant, not too crazy expensive. In general there's a main strip that you can enjoy pretty much the whole time. Visit Founders (for real, visit Founders) and the museum, as well as a few little dive places (trust me, the people are interesting as hell.)
Avoid fucking holland like the plague. You WILL get lost. It's shit. I've lived in this area for 26 years, fuck holland.

Saugatuck though, Saugatuck is legit.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.