Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
weird ping issue
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

I'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

Since yesterday I have frequent ping spikes. My regular connection isn't fantastic either, but I never got above 50 ping. My net_graph says my ping is about 175-203 while my ping displayed on the scoreboard remains normal. (idk if that is always the case.)
I already did the usual fixes, verify game cache, ran a ping test (40 ping, 44 jitter and 0 packet loss) and skimmed autoexec for it. Any other game or internet application run with ease.

I'll post a net graph when it occurs soon. But for now I ran out of ideas.

I'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

Since yesterday I have frequent ping spikes. My regular connection isn't fantastic either, but I never got above 50 ping. My net_graph says my ping is about 175-203 while my ping displayed on the scoreboard remains normal. (idk if that is always the case.)
I already did the usual fixes, verify game cache, ran a ping test (40 ping, 44 jitter and 0 packet loss) and skimmed autoexec for it. Any other game or internet application run with ease.

1 Frags +
BitI'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

Your jitter is pretty high, try removing electrical equipment away from ethernet cables (or upgrade to CAT 6) if you still have high jitter and you use DSL or Cable you might have line issues and should probably contact your ISP

[quote=Bit]I'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

I'll post a net graph when it occurs soon. But for now I ran out of ideas.[/quote]

Your jitter is pretty high, try removing electrical equipment away from ethernet cables (or upgrade to CAT 6) if you still have high jitter and you use DSL or Cable you might have line issues and should probably contact your ISP
0 Frags +
ComangliaBitI'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

oh thanks for the reply. I guess it's the line since our router is free and it still occurs. Maybe I should've mentioned I'm on wifi.

[quote=Comanglia][quote=Bit]I'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

I'll post a net graph when it occurs soon. But for now I ran out of ideas.[/quote]

Your jitter is pretty high, try removing electrical equipment away from ethernet cables (or upgrade to CAT 6) if you still have high jitter and you use DSL or Cable you might have line issues and should probably contact your ISP[/quote]

oh thanks for the reply. I guess it's the line since our router is free and it still occurs. Maybe I should've mentioned I'm on wifi.
0 Frags +
BitComangliaBitI'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

Hardwire connection should probably eliminate 50-90% of that jitter.

[quote=Bit][quote=Comanglia][quote=Bit]I'm sorry for "pls fix my ping" thread #9982 but I'm fairly clueless.

Your jitter is pretty high, try removing electrical equipment away from ethernet cables (or upgrade to CAT 6) if you still have high jitter and you use DSL or Cable you might have line issues and should probably contact your ISP[/quote]

oh thanks for the reply. I guess it's the line since our router is free and it still occurs. Maybe I should've mentioned I'm on wifi.[/quote]

Hardwire connection should probably eliminate 50-90% of that jitter.
0 Frags +
ComangliaHardwire connection should probably eliminate 50-90% of that jitter.

agreed, and if a hardwire connection is an impossibility, powerline networking is a better alternative to wifi for latency-sensitive applications (assuming the wiring in your walls isn't shit or aluminum or w/e)

e: unless powerline networking doesn't work for european outlets? not sure

[quote=Comanglia]Hardwire connection should probably eliminate 50-90% of that jitter.[/quote]
agreed, and if a hardwire connection is an impossibility, powerline networking is a better alternative to wifi for latency-sensitive applications (assuming the wiring in your walls isn't shit or aluminum or w/e)

e: unless powerline networking doesn't work for european outlets? not sure
0 Frags +

Yeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though

Yeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though
0 Frags +
BitYeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though

Did you/anyone install any new large electric appliances? or any electric appliances for that matter in the last few days?

[quote=Bit]Yeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though[/quote]

Did you/anyone install any new large electric appliances? or any electric appliances for that matter in the last few days?
0 Frags +
ComangliaBitYeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though

no, everything has been untouched for a good while.

[quote=Comanglia][quote=Bit]Yeah I can't use cable anymore. But I've been on this wifi for nearly a year now and this issue started yesterday. Thanks for the help though[/quote]

Did you/anyone install any new large electric appliances? or any electric appliances for that matter in the last few days?[/quote]

no, everything has been untouched for a good while.
0 Frags +

wow weird, I just ran the test another 3 times and now my max jitter is 4 - 7 ms ?
So I bet it was some outside problem ? it might jump back to being as bad I guess.

edit : Yeah it still occurs, just not as badly as before :P

wow weird, I just ran the test another 3 times and now my max jitter is 4 - 7 ms ?
So I bet it was some outside problem ? it might jump back to being as bad I guess.

edit : Yeah it still occurs, just not as badly as before :P
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.