Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
Old FPS Config 404'd
posted in Customization
0 Frags +

The old FPS Config Compilation thread 404'd right before I decided my game needed to look even uglier and run even better and I was wondering if anybody has a config that's even more of a downgrade than Chris' Maxframes. My potato Dell laptop needs more frames and from what i've tested, m0reframes and Chris' other stuff won't help. The huge FPS Compilation thread was what I wanted but it's gone now, anyone got anything from it or better?

Thanks!

The old FPS Config Compilation thread 404'd right before I decided my game needed to look even uglier and run even better and I was wondering if anybody has a config that's even more of a downgrade than Chris' Maxframes. My potato Dell laptop needs more frames and from what i've tested, m0reframes and Chris' other stuff won't help. The huge FPS Compilation thread was what I wanted but it's gone now, anyone got anything from it or better?

Thanks!
2 Frags +

Tried rhapsody's? He was testing all these obscure cvars to eke every performance boost out that he could last I checked

Tried rhapsody's? He was testing all these obscure cvars to eke every performance boost out that he could last I checked
2 Frags +
nopeTried rhapsody's? He was testing all these obscure cvars to eke every performance boost out that he could last I checked

If it's unplayable with Chris's rhapsody's won't be any better. Prolly need to upgrade from a dell laptop.

[quote=nope]Tried rhapsody's? He was testing all these obscure cvars to eke every performance boost out that he could last I checked[/quote]

If it's unplayable with Chris's rhapsody's won't be any better. Prolly need to upgrade from a dell laptop.
0 Frags +

Yeah i'm upgrading in a couple of months but I have tonnes of free time in-between now and then and have to play some comp so I was hoping someone had saved the stuff from that older thread or had a different config. Thanks for the suggestions though, I might test rhapsody's just in case.

Yeah i'm upgrading in a couple of months but I have tonnes of free time in-between now and then and have to play some comp so I was hoping someone had saved the stuff from that older thread or had a different config. Thanks for the suggestions though, I might test rhapsody's just in case.
5 Frags +

Ok if you need more than configs:
Install swiftshader, it boosts your shader rendering speeds by a lot e: it's been pointed out that this could get you vac banned (in theory, although it's very unlikely) and probably won't make that much of a difference to your framerate anyway.
Ensure you have set your laptop to high performance mode
keep your laptop plugged in when playing
Set your graphics card to max performance/min quality. You can likely do this even if you have integrated graphics, i know you can do it with 'intel hd graphics'
If you have a gfx card look up and use a level of detail (lod) tweak to make your game look like minecraft and use less gfx power
Install nohats and nohats-effects (removes most unusual effects, tbh i'm not sure where i got this file lol but presumably from one of the nohats threads)
Go through your advanced options and if anything is on anything but the lowest setting look up the cvar from it and edit it in your autoexec to the lowest setting
If you have spec/pro killstreak weapons make sure you have viewmodels for them off lol
Avoid pyros (they kill my fps) and quick-fix ubers (likewise)

Ok if you need more than configs:
[S]Install swiftshader, it boosts your shader rendering speeds by a lot[/s] [i]e: it's been pointed out that this could get you vac banned (in theory, although it's very unlikely) and probably won't make that much of a difference to your framerate anyway.[/i]
Ensure you have set your laptop to high performance mode
keep your laptop plugged in when playing
Set your graphics card to max performance/min quality. You can likely do this even if you have integrated graphics, i know you can do it with 'intel hd graphics'
If you have a gfx card look up and use a level of detail (lod) tweak to make your game look like minecraft and use less gfx power
Install nohats and nohats-effects (removes most unusual effects, tbh i'm not sure where i got this file lol but presumably from one of the nohats threads)
Go through your advanced options and if anything is on anything but the lowest setting look up the cvar from it and edit it in your autoexec to the lowest setting
If you have spec/pro killstreak weapons make sure you have viewmodels for them off lol
Avoid pyros (they kill my fps) and quick-fix ubers (likewise)
0 Frags +

I'll try that stuff out, the graphics card tweaking sounds especially promising, thanks. I'd try it out all now but I have to sleep, I might post on this thread later but that should be all I need.
Thanks

I'll try that stuff out, the graphics card tweaking sounds especially promising, thanks. I'd try it out all now but I have to sleep, I might post on this thread later but that should be all I need.
Thanks
3 Frags +

just came across this swiftshader thing, where do i put the .dll file? :S

just came across this swiftshader thing, where do i put the .dll file? :S
1 Frags +

There's also a thing you can do where you prevent your antivirus from scanning TF2's files as they update to reduce CPU load. Never tried it myself but it might help a bit.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093560

There's also a thing you can do where you prevent your antivirus from scanning TF2's files as they update to reduce CPU load. Never tried it myself but it might help a bit.

1 Frags +
DeetrThere's also a thing you can do where you prevent your antivirus from scanning TF2's files as they update to reduce CPU load. Never tried it myself but it might help a bit.

This helps alot for people who use AV like Norton, some versions of AVG, plus a few more. Doesn't help much if at all for a lot of lower impact AVs.

[quote=Deetr]There's also a thing you can do where you prevent your antivirus from scanning TF2's files as they update to reduce CPU load. Never tried it myself but it might help a bit.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093560[/quote]

This helps alot for people who use AV like Norton, some versions of AVG, plus a few more. Doesn't help much if at all for a lot of lower impact AVs.
0 Frags +
Shooshjust came across this swiftshader thing, where do i put the .dll file? :S

Either the /tf or the /bin folder. I never bothered verifying which it was and just put it in both lol

[quote=Shoosh]just came across this swiftshader thing, where do i put the .dll file? :S[/quote]
Either the /tf or the /bin folder. I never bothered verifying which it was and just put it in both lol
1 Frags +

swiftshader is a bad idea for 99% of computers, it means all the rendering is done on the CPU instead of on the GPU. Usually even an integrated GPU will do better

swiftshader is a bad idea for 99% of computers, it means all the rendering is done on the CPU instead of on the GPU. Usually even an integrated GPU will do better
3 Frags +
phraxswiftshader is a bad idea for 99% of computers, it means all the rendering is done on the CPU instead of on the GPU. Usually even an integrated GPU will do better

I've heard that TF2 uses more CPU power than GPU

nopeInstall swiftshader, it boosts your shader rendering speeds by a lot

I just downloaded it (and I guess I could put it up for download or provide a link if anyone wants) but it came with a 'tutorial.txt' that [Google] translates to

Note : It is not advisable to try to improve the performance of online games because some anti cheats can detect it

+
"Swift Shader modifies TF2's DLL files. The same stuff used to make wallhacks, so that can get you VAC Banned."
I'm not trying to go on a VACation...

[quote=phrax]swiftshader is a bad idea for 99% of computers, it means all the rendering is done on the CPU instead of on the GPU. Usually even an integrated GPU will do better[/quote]
I've heard that TF2 uses more CPU power than GPU

[quote=nope]
Install swiftshader, it boosts your shader rendering speeds by a lot[/quote]
I just downloaded it (and I guess I could put it up for download or provide a link if anyone wants) but it came with a 'tutorial.txt' that [Google] translates to
[quote]Note : It is not advisable to try to improve the performance of online games because some anti cheats can detect it[/quote]
+
"[url=http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2785399]Swift Shader modifies TF2's DLL files. The same stuff used to make wallhacks, so that can get you VAC Banned.[/url]"
I'm not trying to go on a VACation...
0 Frags +

Well I'm not trying to get anyone banned, it's exceedingly unlikely that valve will ever ban for it, they never have and people have used it for years (including me for almost a year now). But don't use it if it worries you. For someone scrambling for frames it's useful as they very likely have no gpu anyway. I've never really heard what phrax said before, that integrated gpus may do better without it. I guess I'll have to test it so for now, use it or not at your own discretion.

Thanks for mentioning this guys, I should have done so myself. Apologies.

Well I'm not trying to get anyone banned, it's exceedingly unlikely that valve will ever ban for it, they never have and people have used it for years (including me for almost a year now). But don't use it if it worries you. For someone scrambling for frames it's useful as they very likely have no gpu anyway. I've never really heard what phrax said before, that integrated gpus may do better without it. I guess I'll have to test it so for now, use it or not at your own discretion.

Thanks for mentioning this guys, I should have done so myself. Apologies.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.