Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
GPU advice
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Does anyone know of or foresee Nvidia releasing a GPU as good as a buy as the gtx 970 next year? Thinking about buying a Gtx 970 now that they're restocked. If Nvidia isn't going to release anything as good as or better than the 970 i might as well just buy it now.

Does anyone know of or foresee Nvidia releasing a GPU as good as a buy as the gtx 970 next year? Thinking about buying a Gtx 970 now that they're restocked. If Nvidia isn't going to release anything as good as or better than the 970 i might as well just buy it now.
-6 Frags +

titan?

titan?
1 Frags +

The titan is way out of my budget. Not to mention the fact that I could buy 2 970s and still have money leftover for the price of a titan.

The titan is way out of my budget. Not to mention the fact that I could buy 2 970s and still have money leftover for the price of a titan.
3 Frags +
cabinDoes anyone know of or foresee Nvidia releasing a GPU as good as a buy as the gtx 970 next year? Thinking about buying a Gtx 970 now that they're restocked. If Nvidia isn't going to release anything as good as or better than the 970 i might as well just buy it now.

I don't really like to take sides but the GTX 970 is really impressive with its performance and price. So you can't go wrong with buying one and later on buying another one. Waiting is always something you could do, but seems pointless, because once you buy the 'better' card, there will be another 'better' than the 'better' card. So buy, if you can the GTX970 and enjoy good performance(that is if you don't already have a decent card).

[quote=cabin]Does anyone know of or foresee Nvidia releasing a GPU as good as a buy as the gtx 970 next year? Thinking about buying a Gtx 970 now that they're restocked. If Nvidia isn't going to release anything as good as or better than the 970 i might as well just buy it now.[/quote]

I don't really like to take sides but the GTX 970 is really impressive with its performance and price. So you can't go wrong with buying one and later on buying another one. Waiting is always something you could do, but seems pointless, because once you buy the 'better' card, there will be another 'better' than the 'better' card. So buy, if you can the GTX970 and enjoy good performance(that is if you don't already have a decent card).
0 Frags +

if u buy one and buy another it costs more money

if u buy one and buy another it costs more money
2 Frags +

Well I mean if something better is coming out within a reasonable time frame I might as well wait right? I have a gtx 670 atm and I can hold off if anyone has the inside scoop on Nvidia's 2015 pipeline.

I could also consider holding off to see if ATI's 300 series will be any good. I heard they were supposed to come out around this time but I haven't seen or heard anything new about them. Anyone know anything about ATI's Pirate Islands family?

Well I mean if something better is coming out within a reasonable time frame I might as well wait right? I have a gtx 670 atm and I can hold off if anyone has the inside scoop on Nvidia's 2015 pipeline.

I could also consider holding off to see if ATI's 300 series will be any good. I heard they were supposed to come out around this time but I haven't seen or heard anything new about them. Anyone know anything about ATI's Pirate Islands family?
1 Frags +

Nvidia usually releases their stuff end spring/begin summer

Nvidia usually releases their stuff end spring/begin summer
0 Frags +
cabinWell I mean if something better is coming out within a reasonable time frame I might as well wait right? I have a gtx 670 atm and I can hold off if anyone has the inside scoop on Nvidia's 2015 pipeline.

Ah, alright with a GTX 670 you're pretty good set(for most games), nothing wrong with it at all. Keep it and wait until something else comes out in meantime.

[quote=cabin]Well I mean if something better is coming out within a reasonable time frame I might as well wait right? I have a gtx 670 atm and I can hold off if anyone has the inside scoop on Nvidia's 2015 pipeline.

I could also consider holding off to see if ATI's 300 series will be any good. I heard they were supposed to come out around this time but I haven't seen or heard anything new about them. Anyone know anything about ATI's Pirate Islands family?[/quote]

Ah, alright with a GTX 670 you're pretty good set(for most games), nothing wrong with it at all. Keep it and wait until something else comes out in meantime.
0 Frags +

Yeah its still pretty decent. Recently, it feels more like games are just being released with poor optimization rather than my gpu being outdated. An upgrade never hurts though :p

Yeah its still pretty decent. Recently, it feels more like games are just being released with poor optimization rather than my gpu being outdated. An upgrade never hurts though :p
0 Frags +

With a 670 I would upgrade on the next cycle. 20nm is going to be interesting! As for when that is, probably next summer or fall honestly.

With a 670 I would upgrade on the next cycle. 20nm is going to be interesting! As for when that is, probably next summer or fall honestly.
0 Frags +

actually if you take look at the benchmarks the 980 is faster than the titan, the 970 should be too, or close to it, so go for the 970 no doubt, otherwise if you can't afford it, the 960 should be coming out soon

actually if you take look at the benchmarks the 980 is faster than the titan, the 970 should be too, or close to it, so go for the 970 no doubt, otherwise if you can't afford it, the 960 should be coming out soon
0 Frags +

Future proofing isn't possible these days, another better model will come out in half a year or w/e. Just get something that fits your budget and the specs you want.

Future proofing isn't possible these days, another better model will come out in half a year or w/e. Just get something that fits your budget and the specs you want.
0 Frags +

I have a Gigabyte's GTX 970 G1. I have been impressed with what the card can do so far. Its running everything at highest possible settings on 21:9 2560x1080 resolution. I'd say go for it.

I have a Gigabyte's GTX 970 G1. I have been impressed with what the card can do so far. Its running everything at highest possible settings on 21:9 2560x1080 resolution. I'd say go for it.
0 Frags +

Refer to the upgrade flowchart:
Do you want/need better performance?
No -> Don't upgrade
Yes -> upgrade*
*maybe delay for a month max if a new GPU is about to be released

And that's it. GPUs continously get cheaper, so if you can wait a year it'll be cheaper.

To answer your question, Nvidia won't release a card to compete with themselves. Nothing with the same performance as the 970/980 coming from Nvidia until Q3/4. That's still next year but I think you meant the start of next year aka Q1.

The 960 is coming in Q1 2015 though and AMD should be releasing the 380(X) around that time. Since Tonga won't win in terms of efficiency (and therefore temperature & noise) they'll probably just undercut Nvidias price again.

There's also Fiji and big Maxwell coming at the same time but, spoilert alert, unless Lisa Su made some serious magic happen, Fiji is going to get wrecked.

CLN20SOC is shit.

Refer to the upgrade flowchart:
Do you want/need better performance?
No -> Don't upgrade
Yes -> upgrade*
*maybe delay for a month max if a new GPU is about to be released

And that's it. GPUs continously get cheaper, so if you can wait a year it'll be cheaper.

To answer your question, Nvidia won't release a card to compete with themselves. Nothing with the same performance as the 970/980 coming from Nvidia until Q3/4. That's still next year but I think you meant the start of next year aka Q1.

The 960 is coming in Q1 2015 though and AMD should be releasing the 380(X) around that time. Since Tonga won't win in terms of efficiency (and therefore temperature & noise) they'll probably just undercut Nvidias price again.

There's also Fiji and big Maxwell coming at the same time but, spoilert alert, unless Lisa Su made some serious magic happen, Fiji is going to get wrecked.

CLN20SOC is shit.
0 Frags +

die shrinks are worth waiting for though

die shrinks are worth waiting for though
0 Frags +

No. Not 20nm.
Why do you think GM204 is 28nm? Why do you think Fiji and GM200 are going to be on 28nm? 20nm without FinFets isn't the best node anyway but for high clockrates it's absolutely atrocious since there is no HP process only SOC. And one size doesn't fit all in semiconductor manufacturing.

If 20nm becomes viable at all it'll probably be so late it's quite likely AMD and Nvidia will go straight for 20nm FF (aka 16nm, marketing BS).

No. Not 20nm.
Why do you think GM204 is 28nm? Why do you think Fiji and GM200 are going to be on 28nm? 20nm without FinFets isn't the best node anyway but for high clockrates it's absolutely atrocious since there is no HP process only SOC. And one size doesn't fit all in semiconductor manufacturing.

If 20nm becomes viable at all it'll probably be so late it's quite likely AMD and Nvidia will go straight for 20nm FF (aka 16nm, marketing BS).
0 Frags +

Do you have evidence that Fiji is going to be on 28nm? I haven't seen a single report make that claim.

Do you have evidence that Fiji is going to be on 28nm? I haven't seen a single report make that claim.
0 Frags +

The Germans are on it.
http://www.3dcenter.org/news/erste-reale-daten-zu-amds-fiji-chip-4096-shader-einheiten-einem-hbm-speicherinterface
https://www.zauba.com/import-fiji-xt-hs-code.html
http://www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/show_run.php?q=c2ffccfddbbadbe6deedd4e7d3f587ba8aacc9ac91a187f4c9f9&l=de

The Germans are on it.
http://www.3dcenter.org/news/erste-reale-daten-zu-amds-fiji-chip-4096-shader-einheiten-einem-hbm-speicherinterface
https://www.zauba.com/import-fiji-xt-hs-code.html
http://www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/show_run.php?q=c2ffccfddbbadbe6deedd4e7d3f587ba8aacc9ac91a187f4c9f9&l=de
0 Frags +

That's interesting, because even stuff from 1 week ago was listing it as 20nm. Either way, if they're putting 4096 SPs on there, you can bet they've made an efficiency breakthrough.

That's interesting, because even stuff from 1 week ago was listing it as 20nm. Either way, if they're putting 4096 SPs on there, you can bet they've made an efficiency breakthrough.
0 Frags +

My reasoning is if it's Tonga upscaled, they're fucked.
If there are significant changes compared to Tonga the yield rates might fuck them even harder.

It's a pretty narrow timeframe for tapeouts and considering how Tonga turned out I'm not really believing it right now.

My reasoning is if it's Tonga upscaled, they're fucked.
If there are significant changes compared to Tonga the yield rates might fuck them even harder.

It's a pretty narrow timeframe for tapeouts and considering how Tonga turned out I'm not really believing it right now.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.