Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
ath m50 or hd558?
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I've been doing my own research but I can't come to a conclusion, so I've come here to get some advice. Btw, closed/open doesn't matter to me.
So far what I know is:
the m50s have better bass without sounding distorted, which is a big plus (80% of my music is edm/hip hop)
however they have a really shitty soundstage, and they also clamp onto ears tightly (I have pretty big ears so this might be a big problem)
the 558s are much more balanced, which, although it is great, isn't really what I'm looking for
however they're really comfortable, and have a good soundstage since they are open backed

music wise, the m50s are for me, but I want to know how it compares with the 558s in gaming, especially how much soundstage matters in tf2/other fps. tftv, pls make my decision, right now i can get both for around the same price (558s are a little cheaper).

I've been doing my own research but I can't come to a conclusion, so I've come here to get some advice. Btw, closed/open doesn't matter to me.
So far what I know is:
the m50s have better bass without sounding distorted, which is a big plus (80% of my music is edm/hip hop)
however they have a really shitty soundstage, and they also clamp onto ears tightly (I have pretty big ears so this might be a big problem)
the 558s are much more balanced, which, although it is great, isn't really what I'm looking for
however they're really comfortable, and have a good soundstage since they are open backed

music wise, the m50s are for me, but I want to know how it compares with the 558s in gaming, especially how much soundstage matters in tf2/other fps. tftv, pls make my decision, right now i can get both for around the same price (558s are a little cheaper).
2 Frags +

In EDM/Hip-Hop, the producers tend to boost bass a lot already. Also you can get sound drivers that you can EQ to make the bass even louder. As an audiophile, I'd go with the 558s because they have a flat response.

In EDM/Hip-Hop, the producers tend to boost bass a lot already. Also you can get sound drivers that you can EQ to make the bass even louder. As an audiophile, I'd go with the 558s because they have a flat response.
1 Frags +

Youve basically nailed the descriptions of both. I find both generally sound great in all cases, I just prefer the 558s for most non-EDM music.

Personally, if you have the money I would say go for the 558s, but if you want to save a little bit go for the m50s

Youve basically nailed the descriptions of both. I find both generally sound great in all cases, I just prefer the 558s for most non-EDM music.

Personally, if you have the money I would say go for the 558s, but if you want to save a little bit go for the m50s
1 Frags +
TurinAs an audiophile, I'd go with the 558s because they have a flat response.

Uncolored headphones are always a good bet. If you don't like the sound signature (or lack thereof), you can easily EQ them to your taste.

[quote=Turin]As an audiophile, I'd go with the 558s because they have a flat response.[/quote]

Uncolored headphones are always a good bet. If you don't like the sound signature (or lack thereof), you can easily EQ them to your taste.
0 Frags +
reillyYouve basically nailed the descriptions of both. I find both generally sound great in all cases, I just prefer the 558s for most non-EDM music.

I've found a seller selling refurbished 558s for ~30 USD cheaper than a new pair, so I might go with that now. I also realized that a significant portion of my music is indie/classical, so maybe the 558s are the superior choice.

[quote=reilly]Youve basically nailed the descriptions of both. I find both generally sound great in all cases, I just prefer the 558s for most non-EDM music.

Personally, if you have the money I would say go for the 558s, but if you want to save a little bit go for the m50s[/quote]
I've found a seller selling refurbished 558s for ~30 USD cheaper than a new pair, so I might go with that now. I also realized that a significant portion of my music is indie/classical, so maybe the 558s are the superior choice.
5 Frags +

558s for sure. they produce sound more accurately than m50s

558s for sure. they produce sound more accurately than m50s
2 Frags +

I'm in love with my 558s for gaming and instrumental hip hop

I'm in love with my 558s for gaming and instrumental hip hop
3 Frags +

If you need more convincing, 558s

If you need more convincing, 558s
0 Frags +

do the sennheisers come with interchangeable earcups?

do the sennheisers come with interchangeable earcups?
0 Frags +

You can replace the earpads, yes

You can replace the earpads, yes
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.