Upvote Upvoted 12 Downvote Downvoted
This is EVE
posted in Other Games
0 Frags +

Not sure if anyone is interested in EVE but the devs just released and "official trailer" and its really sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Not sure if anyone is interested in EVE but the devs just released and "official trailer" and its really sick.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0[/youtube]
27 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vHQOc4hUM

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vHQOc4hUM[/youtube]
-6 Frags +

good thing it wasnt censored

good thing it wasnt censored
1 Frags +

ya, it looks really cool... but money...

ya, it looks really cool... but money...
-6 Frags +

Star Civilization looks way more promising

Star Civilization looks way more promising
0 Frags +

10/10 zig

10/10 zig
0 Frags +
MOOSE_ya, it looks really cool... but money...

Is EVE a pay to win game? Dunno if its worth the time to play

[quote=MOOSE_]ya, it looks really cool... but money...[/quote]
Is EVE a pay to win game? Dunno if its worth the time to play
2 Frags +

reposting this from another thread, it's not p2w

"It's "fun" but it's really depends on you definition of fun.

I'll post some of my thoughts from my 1+yr playtime, they can be interpreted either as a pro or con, depending on what you're looking for.

Game is unbelievably deep and complex the sheer size is staggering, there is a brick-wall-esque learning curve.

Battles are decided by preparation and knowledge, not by raw skill (for the most part).

There is real risk involved, your million dollar ship that you saved up for weeks might get blown up, all the while this makes killing someone else all the more satisfying.

Pretty deep economy, + you can buy the monthly subscription using ingame currency.

The game is EXTREMELY community oriented, if you don't join a corporation (aka a GUILD aka World of Warcraft), you will quit the game (as I did.)

The one major downside is the time required to train skills. Some skills take literal months of realtime to train, although they're usually totally optional or give a marginal benefit.

I stuck almost entirely to solo Station Trading, therefore my experience is pretty limited in the game (as far as PvP goes), I think some TF2 people play (Salamancer??) maybe get a free trial from someone and try the game out.

Feel free to ask any me any questions, I'll do my best to answer them."

reposting this from another thread, it's not p2w

"It's "fun" but it's really depends on you definition of fun.

I'll post some of my thoughts from my 1+yr playtime, they can be interpreted either as a pro or con, depending on what you're looking for.

Game is unbelievably deep and complex the sheer size is staggering, there is a brick-wall-esque learning curve.

Battles are decided by preparation and knowledge, not by raw skill (for the most part).

There is real risk involved, your million dollar ship that you saved up for weeks might get blown up, all the while this makes killing someone else all the more satisfying.

Pretty deep economy, + you can buy the monthly subscription using ingame currency.

The game is EXTREMELY community oriented, if you don't join a corporation (aka a GUILD aka World of Warcraft), you will quit the game (as I did.)

The one major downside is the time required to train skills. Some skills take literal months of realtime to train, although they're usually totally optional or give a marginal benefit.

I stuck almost entirely to solo Station Trading, therefore my experience is pretty limited in the game (as far as PvP goes), I think some TF2 people play (Salamancer??) maybe get a free trial from someone and try the game out.

Feel free to ask any me any questions, I'll do my best to answer them."
5 Frags +

it seems like fun....but I dont want to spend a massive amount of time learning the "basics"

it seems like fun....but I dont want to spend a massive amount of time learning the "basics"
0 Frags +

I really wanted to enjoy EVE because I love the idea of an open world sandbox space game... but there is so much time you have to invest into the game if you want to do anything of importance. There are times when you are kind of overwhelmed by how large the game is, how much there is to do.

You really can't play EVE solo. You have to commit yourself to a corporation to get the most out of it. This can be fun, if you find the right people. You have to be on top of your skill training, which is done passively, so you gain skills even while you're offline. Downside is, skills can take minutes, hours, days, weeks, even MONTHS to learn.

For me, this was the deal breaker. Knowing that whatever I do, everyone that started before me will have an overall skill point advantage on me was something I couldn't get over, even with people telling me it doesn't matter so much in the long run, it's more about skill and knowledge than anything else, etc. That only made it seem more a job than it already was.

I can see how people would find it fun if they can get over that fact, but not the game for me I suppose.

I really wanted to enjoy EVE because I love the idea of an open world sandbox space game... but there is so much time you have to invest into the game if you want to do anything of importance. There are times when you are kind of overwhelmed by how large the game is, how much there is to do.

You really can't play EVE solo. You have to commit yourself to a corporation to get the most out of it. This can be fun, if you find the right people. You have to be on top of your skill training, which is done passively, so you gain skills even while you're offline. Downside is, skills can take minutes, hours, days, weeks, even MONTHS to learn.

For me, this was the deal breaker. Knowing that whatever I do, everyone that started before me will have an overall skill point advantage on me was something I couldn't get over, even with people telling me it doesn't matter so much in the long run, it's more about skill and knowledge than anything else, etc. That only made it seem more a job than it already was.

I can see how people would find it fun if they can get over that fact, but not the game for me I suppose.
0 Frags +
RigelYou have to commit yourself to a corporation to get the most out of it. This can be fun, if you find the right people. You have to be on top of your skill training, which is done passively, so you gain skills even while you're offline. Downside is, skills can take minutes, hours, days, weeks, even MONTHS to learn.

Sounds like life in general, encapsulated in a video game.

[quote=Rigel]You have to commit yourself to a corporation to get the most out of it. This can be fun, if you find the right people. You have to be on top of your skill training, which is done passively, so you gain skills even while you're offline. Downside is, skills can take minutes, hours, days, weeks, even MONTHS to learn. [/quote]

Sounds like life in general, encapsulated in a video game.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.