Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
Weird CPU Spiking
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hey, I recently have been having random fps drops from 120 to 20, and I noticed that these coincide with drops in cpu usage as well. Normally playing games it's at about 40% usage, but it drops to 20ish% and then the fps drops until it goes back to normal a few seconds later. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening or any fixes for it?

Hey, I recently have been having random fps drops from 120 to 20, and I noticed that these coincide with drops in cpu usage as well. Normally playing games it's at about 40% usage, but it drops to 20ish% and then the fps drops until it goes back to normal a few seconds later. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening or any fixes for it?
1 Frags +

2 Frags +
nobelharvardsCheck your power options. Contrary to popular belief, power options exist for desktops as well. Setting it to something other than high performance means the fans and clock speed will vary depending on the load demanded. It does not always do the best job at determining when there is a high load or low load.

If you are running AMD, do not use turbo mode, or any of the other crap that may take control over your clock speed and think they know better than just leaving it on max all the time. I assume you know how to navigate and manipulate the BIOS.

Thanks for the help, it's all fixed now.

[quote=nobelharvards]Check your power options. Contrary to popular belief, power options exist for desktops as well. Setting it to something other than high performance means the fans and clock speed will vary depending on the load demanded. It does not always do the best job at determining when there is a high load or low load.

If you are running AMD, do not use turbo mode, or any of the other crap that may take control over your clock speed and think they know better than just leaving it on max all the time. I assume you know how to navigate and manipulate the BIOS.[/quote]

Thanks for the help, it's all fixed now.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.