Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
144 hz right for me?
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

With all the huge sales coming up I was just seeing if it was worth it to upgrade to a 144 hz monitor with my current setup. Everything I have is a few years old and discontinued.

CPU: i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 6850

Current monitor: ASUS VS248H-P

Any feedback appreciated.

With all the huge sales coming up I was just seeing if it was worth it to upgrade to a 144 hz monitor with my current setup. Everything I have is a few years old and discontinued.

CPU: i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 6850

Current monitor: ASUS VS248H-P

Any feedback appreciated.
33 Frags +

144hz is right for everyone

144hz is right for everyone
5 Frags +

God bless you

God bless you
1 Frags +

I literally have the same setup you do except my GFX card is a generation newer ( 7850 ).

Don't regret buying my BenQ XL2411Z at all, go for it. You could have asked this in the 144hz monitor thread though.

I literally have the same setup you do except my GFX card is a generation newer ( 7850 ).

Don't regret buying my BenQ XL2411Z at all, go for it. You could have asked this in the 144hz monitor thread though.
0 Frags +

I guess I'm pretty much asking if I will be able to use a 144hz to its full potential (i.e. getting at least 144 fps in games and what not)?

I guess I'm pretty much asking if I will be able to use a 144hz to its full potential (i.e. getting at least 144 fps in games and what not)?
1 Frags +

You don't necessarily need 144 fps to notice the difference. I run Borderlands 2 at around 70-80fps and I notice a difference.

You don't necessarily need 144 fps to notice the difference. I run Borderlands 2 at around 70-80fps and I notice a difference.
2 Frags +

You'll notice the difference with even like 60fps. The frame to screen latency goes from 0 to 16 ms to 0 to 7 ms.

You'll notice the difference with even like 60fps. The frame to screen latency goes from 0 to 16 ms to 0 to 7 ms.
0 Frags +
wareyaYou'll notice the difference with even like 60fps. The frame to screen latency goes from 0 to 16 ms to 0 to 7 ms.

60Hz IPS monitors at their best are at about 24ms between frames at the dead center of the screen their average is more like 30-35ms

144Hz TN is about 8ms at the center of the screen, on average it's more like 11-14ms

60Hz TN is about 18ms at center, and about 22-26ms on average.

Keep in mind I am counting time between each refresh^

To the OP

For TF2 at least you should try getting your CPU to be around 4.0GHz to have a really stable 180+ FPS (I'm talking 24 people in a server btw)

For other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.

[quote=wareya]You'll notice the difference with even like 60fps. The frame to screen latency goes from 0 to 16 ms to 0 to 7 ms.[/quote]

60Hz IPS monitors at their best are at about 24ms between frames at the dead center of the screen their average is more like 30-35ms

144Hz TN is about 8ms at the center of the screen, on average it's more like 11-14ms

60Hz TN is about 18ms at center, and about 22-26ms on average.

Keep in mind I am counting time between each refresh^

To the OP

For TF2 at least you should try getting your CPU to be around 4.0GHz to have a really stable 180+ FPS (I'm talking 24 people in a server btw)

For other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.
0 Frags +
ComangliaFor other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.

Any recommendations? Are AMDs still good quality for a budget?

[quote=Comanglia]For other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.[/quote]

0 Frags +
Zza_ComangliaFor other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.

AMD GPUs if you're going for Price/Performance are usually the best option especially in the $100-$200 Range.

I would highly suggest that you watch prices tonight and tomorrow for GPUs (Especially on Newegg) or wait for Cyber Monday to find a good deal for a GPU.

Just make sure you have the power supply to support a new card just incase cause I just got a 270x that needed two 6 pin power cables luckily I had 2 but just be aware.

[quote=Zza_][quote=Comanglia]For other games you should definitely get a new GPU, I've owned a 6850 most new games on medium settings you'll get like 40-50fps thus not much of a benefit.[/quote]

Any recommendations? Are AMDs still good quality for a budget?[/quote]

AMD GPUs if you're going for Price/Performance are usually the best option especially in the $100-$200 Range.

I would highly suggest that you watch prices tonight and tomorrow for GPUs (Especially on Newegg) or wait for Cyber Monday to find a good deal for a GPU.

Just make sure you have the power supply to support a new card just incase cause I just got a 270x that needed two 6 pin power cables luckily I had 2 but just be aware.
1 Frags +

Once you go 120/144hz, you won't want to go back to 60.

Once you go 120/144hz, you won't want to go back to 60.
2 Frags +

It's always a good idea to get a better monitor. People always mention the hz as the selling point (and of course it's a massive selling point for a good reason) but these monitors are likely better than your current monitor in a million other ways as well.

It's always a good idea to get a better monitor. People always mention the hz as the selling point (and of course it's a massive selling point for a good reason) but these monitors are likely better than your current monitor in a million other ways as well.
2 Frags +

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-inch-LED-lit-Monitor-response/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417006483&sr=1-2

its only 219 atm maybe better on black friday.

http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-inch-LED-lit-Monitor-response/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417006483&sr=1-2&tag=teamfortresst-20

its only 219 atm maybe better on black friday.
0 Frags +

Went ahead and bought the Asus VG248QE which is $219.99 on Newegg right now.

Thanks for the convincing everyone and especially thanks to the people who gave some in-depth information.

Went ahead and bought the Asus VG248QE which is $219.99 on [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313]Newegg[/url] right now.

Thanks for the convincing everyone and especially thanks to the people who gave some in-depth information.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.