Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
tf2 is broken.
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

This issue seems to have affected some other people but they all seem to have gotten rid of it. Not me.
There are no more tf2 servers I can join, comp or pub if I refresh the public server list, almost no servers are loaded, and the ones that are are a few assorted empty idle or kart servers. From my favorites, strangely enough only a warpath server I never play on works. I can join it and play fine. I can't join any other servers, if I try to join after a friend or by IP, server info displays nothing and joining doesn't work. Quickplay finds no servers at all. I tried deleting clientregistry.blob, deleting all steam folders, reinstalling tf2, forwarding ports, unforwarding ports and disabling my AV. The only thing that for some reason did something was disabling my windows firewall that allows tf2 by default in and out. Disabling it made a couple of valve servers pop up in the server list, but only a very small number (and all on shit maps).
I can't tf2 at all like this, pls send help.

This issue seems to have affected some other people but they all seem to have gotten rid of it. Not me.
There are no more tf2 servers I can join, comp or pub if I refresh the public server list, almost no servers are loaded, and the ones that are are a few assorted empty idle or kart servers. From my favorites, strangely enough only a warpath server I never play on works. I can join it and play fine. I can't join any other servers, if I try to join after a friend or by IP, server info displays nothing and joining doesn't work. Quickplay finds no servers at all. I tried deleting clientregistry.blob, deleting all steam folders, reinstalling tf2, forwarding ports, unforwarding ports and disabling my AV. The only thing that for some reason did something was disabling my windows firewall that allows tf2 by default in and out. Disabling it made a couple of valve servers pop up in the server list, but only a very small number (and all on shit maps).
I can't tf2 at all like this, pls send help.
-20 Frags +

Please help instead of downfragging?

Please help instead of downfragging?
9 Frags +

I couldn't join certain servers for a good week or two because of my ISP, try contacting them first. Also you got 1 down frag who the fuck cares lol.

I couldn't join certain servers for a good week or two because of my ISP, try contacting them first. Also you got 1 down frag who the fuck cares lol.
2 Frags +

This happens to me occasionally where my internet basically dies, everything works, but if i try doign something new (joining a new server or loading a new webpage) I cant. usually goes away after like 5 minutes for me though.

This happens to me occasionally where my internet basically dies, everything works, but if i try doign something new (joining a new server or loading a new webpage) I cant. usually goes away after like 5 minutes for me though.
0 Frags +

i suddenly started getting 60-70 loss in tf2 now during certain time periods, usually not in csgo. already contacted ISP but they are saying that everything is fine, any idea? currently verifying game cache

i suddenly started getting 60-70 loss in tf2 now during certain time periods, usually not in csgo. already contacted ISP but they are saying that everything is fine, any idea? currently verifying game cache
0 Frags +

Again, this is not a problem with my internet, other games and websites work fine and the one or two servers I can join I can play on without problems.
And this has been going on for over a week now, constantly so I really have no way of playing tf2 atm.

Again, this is not a problem with my internet, other games and websites work fine and the one or two servers I can join I can play on without problems.
And this has been going on for over a week now, constantly so I really have no way of playing tf2 atm.
2 Frags +

try lowering max server browser pings/minute in steam settings? same thing used to happen with my old router because it couldn't handle the amount of servers being pinged at once

try lowering max server browser pings/minute in steam settings? same thing used to happen with my old router because it couldn't handle the amount of servers being pinged at once
0 Frags +

wow you're alive wtf

wow you're alive wtf
-6 Frags +

stop playing tf2

also stop posting

stop playing tf2

also stop posting
1 Frags +
wpminnowstry lowering max server browser pings/minute in steam settings? same thing used to happen with my old router because it couldn't handle the amount of servers being pinged at once

Tried this too without success.

These are all the solutions anyone on the internet has proposed for this problem, if anyone else knows anything, please try to help instead of being dicks. If I contact steam support all they're gonna tell me is probably to reinstall everything and check my drivers. Which are up to date btw.

[quote=wpminnows]try lowering max server browser pings/minute in steam settings? same thing used to happen with my old router because it couldn't handle the amount of servers being pinged at once[/quote]
Tried this too without success.

These are all the solutions anyone on the internet has proposed for this problem, if anyone else knows anything, please try to help instead of being dicks. If I contact steam support all they're gonna tell me is probably to reinstall everything and check my drivers. Which are up to date btw.
0 Frags +

it's a bit of a wild guess but make sure you haven't accidentally typed anything into the tags section

it's a bit of a wild guess but make sure you haven't accidentally typed anything into the tags section
1 Frags +

No, as I said, favorites don't work, joining by IP doesn't work, joining after friends doesn't work, quickplay doesn't work.

No, as I said, favorites don't work, joining by IP doesn't work, joining after friends doesn't work, quickplay doesn't work.
2 Frags +

Try opening the server list through steam and switching game to tf2. Then join through steams server list. I'm not sure really what this could be.

i'd also disable any firewalls/antivirus and port forward the following
Steamclient1: 27000 - 27020
Steamclient2: 27020 - 27050
SteamServ: 27015

Try opening the server list through steam and switching game to tf2. Then join through steams server list. I'm not sure really what this could be.

i'd also disable any firewalls/antivirus and port forward the following
Steamclient1: 27000 - 27020
Steamclient2: 27020 - 27050
SteamServ: 27015
1 Frags +

explain how you are connected to the internet:

are you connected to a gateway (router/modem combination), or are you connected to a multi-part system (like a router that connects to a modem, or a switch that connects to a modem, etc.)?

what kind of connection are you on (DSL, Fiber, Cable, Satellite)? who's your ISP?
if DSL, how are you attenuated (VCI/VPI numbers -- this can usually be located in the advanced panel/WAN of your connection settings)? don't worry about it if you don't know; the rest of the information can help me guide you to figuring out more advanced info.

what are the makes/models of your router/gateway/however you're connected to the internet?
if you can find them, what firmware version(s) are you running?

are you wired or wireless?
what's the make/model of your NIC/wireless adapter?

what's your computer's operating system?

have you run any malware checks recently? if so, with what programs?
do you run any programs that modify your hosts file (Spybot: Search and Destroy, for instance)? in other words, do you run any "website immunization" programs?

do you run any "registry cleaners" or "game boosters"?

do you route your connection through a VPN or a proxy?

i'm going to need a lot more information than that to provide any sort of helpful advice, but these broad specifications will give me a basis to work with.

knowing that disabling your computer's firewall helped find servers, and knowing that you can't manually connect to any servers, one hunch i have is that you're running through a double NAT, but i need the above information before we can continue on that assumption.

a few really basic ideas before we go deeper:
run your IP through http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and tell me the results
switch your DNS to a public DNS, like google's or OpenDNS.

explain how you are connected to the internet:

are you connected to a gateway (router/modem combination), or are you connected to a multi-part system (like a router that connects to a modem, or a switch that connects to a modem, etc.)?

what kind of connection are you on (DSL, Fiber, Cable, Satellite)? who's your ISP?
if DSL, how are you attenuated (VCI/VPI numbers -- this can usually be located in the advanced panel/WAN of your connection settings)? don't worry about it if you don't know; the rest of the information can help me guide you to figuring out more advanced info.

what are the makes/models of your router/gateway/however you're connected to the internet?

do you run any programs that modify your hosts file (Spybot: Search and Destroy, for instance)? in other words, do you run any "website immunization" programs?

i'm going to need a lot more information than that to provide any sort of helpful advice, but these broad specifications will give me a basis to work with.

knowing that disabling your computer's firewall helped find servers, and knowing that you can't manually connect to any servers, one hunch i have is that you're running through a double NAT, but i need the above information before we can continue on that assumption.

a few really basic ideas before we go deeper:
1 Frags +

like 4 weeks ago I started having connection issues with tf2 as well, My Internet would be fine for everything, the servers in the Serverbrowser would refresh and show players + score.
If i did manage to connect i had about 60 loss and it was unplayable.

I fixed it by using a different Clientport: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567&l=english

It doesnt really make sense, as I’m the only one using steam/tf2 in this network, but it fixed it and my investigation stopped there.

like 4 weeks ago I started having connection issues with tf2 as well, My Internet would be fine for everything, the servers in the Serverbrowser would refresh and show players + score.
If i did manage to connect i had about 60 loss and it was unplayable.

I fixed it by using a different Clientport: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567&l=english

It doesnt really make sense, as I’m the only one using steam/tf2 in this network, but it fixed it and my investigation stopped there.
1 Frags +

Modem

Cable, German provider called Unitymedia

You probably don't know any of it since it's just a regional German provider.

Using power lan through a device called devolo dLan 200 AVPlus, firmware 4.4.0 (up to date)

Scanning regularly with Avast, no signs of infection and no

no

Listed in PBL681432, which is an email blocklist so I assume that's just because it's not a server IP.

Will try, but first let me tell you what I suspect could be causing this. I kinda lied in the OP about having forwarded any ports on this machine, I had this problem before and tried it but it did nothing and then it went away on its own so I dismissed that. Now trying to forward the mentioned ports, I realized that with my current provider I can't, because (from what I understood) the whole network is IPv6 since 2013 and it works with something they call Dual Stack Lite and if I got that correctly it basically means that I don't really have an IPv4 and can't port forward anything. Which sucks.
I don't know why I would have to port forward for tf2 though, especially since it ran fine for years. I don't know exactly how long it has not been working because I don't play all that often but I think it about correlates with a time when I noticed that on any internet IP tests they give a wrong part of germany as the source location and Telekom as the provider, so I assume that some time ago some routing change happened within my ISP and somehow it broke tf2. How to fix it though I have no idea, I wonder if there has been a firmware update for my modem that I didn't notice that somehow changed the internal firewall settings, I will try to check that out, but if it's anything firewall-related and if I can't access the master server at all... why do a few servers work fine for me?

:confusion:

[quote]are you connected to a gateway (router/modem combination), or are you connected to a multi-part system (like a router that connects to a modem, or a switch that connects to a modem, etc.)?[/quote]
Modem
[quote]what kind of connection are you on (DSL, Fiber, Cable, Satellite)? who's your ISP?
if DSL, how are you attenuated (VCI/VPI numbers -- this can usually be located in the advanced panel/WAN of your connection settings)? don't worry about it if you don't know; the rest of the information can help me guide you to figuring out more advanced info.[/quote]

Cable, German provider called Unitymedia

[quote]what are the makes/models of your router/gateway/however you're connected to the internet?
if you can find them, what firmware version(s) are you running?[/quote]

You probably don't know any of it since it's just a regional German provider.

[quote]are you wired or wireless?
what's the make/model of your NIC/wireless adapter?[/quote]

Using power lan through a device called devolo dLan 200 AVPlus, firmware 4.4.0 (up to date)

[quote]what's your computer's operating system?[/quote]

[quote]have you run any malware checks recently? if so, with what programs?
do you run any programs that modify your hosts file (Spybot: Search and Destroy, for instance)? in other words, do you run any "website immunization" programs?[/quote]
Scanning regularly with Avast, no signs of infection and no

[quote]do you run any "registry cleaners" or "game boosters"?

[/quote]

no

[quote]run your IP through http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and tell me the results[/quote]
Listed in PBL681432, which is an email blocklist so I assume that's just because it's not a server IP.

[quote]switch your DNS to a public DNS, like google's or OpenDNS.[/quote]

Will try, but first let me tell you what I suspect could be causing this. I kinda lied in the OP about having forwarded any ports on this machine, I had this problem before and tried it but it did nothing and then it went away on its own so I dismissed that. Now trying to forward the mentioned ports, I realized that with my current provider I can't, because (from what I understood) the whole network is IPv6 since 2013 and it works with something they call Dual Stack Lite and if I got that correctly it basically means that I don't really have an IPv4 and can't port forward anything. Which sucks.
I don't know why I would have to port forward for tf2 though, especially since it ran fine for years. I don't know exactly how long it has not been working because I don't play all that often but I think it about correlates with a time when I noticed that on any internet IP tests they give a wrong part of germany as the source location and Telekom as the provider, so I assume that some time ago some routing change happened within my ISP and somehow it broke tf2. How to fix it though I have no idea, I wonder if there has been a firmware update for my modem that I didn't notice that somehow changed the internal firewall settings, I will try to check that out, but if it's anything firewall-related and if I can't access the master server at all... why do a few servers work fine for me?

:confusion:
1 Frags +

if you're running through dual stack, your NAT is definitely causing the incompatibility; as you know, dual stack lite allots ipv4 control to the service provider, encapsulating it into an ipv6 stream and sending it back to the end-user. this means that direct ipv4 connections (port forwarding) is technically left in the hands of the provider. i have quite a few ideas as to how to workaround it, but i have a lot of homework to get done before the end of break. i'll add you on steam to discuss further.

if you're running through dual stack, your NAT is definitely causing the incompatibility; as you know, dual stack lite allots ipv4 control to the service provider, encapsulating it into an ipv6 stream and sending it back to the end-user. this means that direct ipv4 connections (port forwarding) is technically left in the hands of the provider. i have quite a few ideas as to how to workaround it, but i have a lot of homework to get done before the end of break. i'll add you on steam to discuss further.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.