Upvote Upvoted 26 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
On the future of comp tf2 and NA 6v6 Newbie Mixes
0 Frags +

Let me tell you a little story.

I began playing comp TF2 late 2012, and I thought I was late to the party. Season 12 of ESEA had just finished, and I came into the scene wide-eyed and bushy-tailed just to see mix^ slam the international competition at i46. At the time, in fact right after the i46 stream closed, I thought to myself: that was it. That was the pinnacle of competitive TF2. I really am late to the party; nothing else will come close to those TF2 matches that I just watched.

But I played competitive TF2 anyway. I thought to myself, "hey, I'll jump on this game and finish out the rest of its life and then move on to the next CS that's released." After playing for months on Jujump iT and Jump iT, I decided to drop the spy class and my steel highlander team and make the switch to 6v6 on soldier. Like any more casual competitive player I knew that tf2lobby existed, but I also knew of its reputation as the most hateful place to play TF2. As a result, I chose to play in newbie mixes. From there I made the jump from pugs to league play, eventually playing in IM with Hell Xpress before taking a short break this past summer.

Well, six seasons, two international lans, and almost two and a half years later I've realized I wasn't late to the party at all, and in reality the party was just barely getting started. In my eyes, GXL took i46's place as the peak of competitive TF2, and I have no doubt that another event far in the future will surpass it too.

Competitive Team Fortress 2 is a game type that is not (currently) endorsed or supported by Valve. The most we've ever gotten is a little mention in TF2's news section. For the immediate and unfortunate future, it seems it will stay that way. It is up to us as a community to come together and do something that Valve itself will not do: lower the barrier for entry into competitive TF2 by teaching new players the basics of the game type.

But newbie mix has had its fair share of problems. Both with coaches and with admins.

The general line of admins goes: Giffy, pet, milehighmilitia, Shwan, VickM, Noona. After Noona's death, pie_hero picked it up and recruited myself, Mr_Perfect (valkeri), and Tino_ and others to help.. Since this time (around August), pie_hero has left to focus on CS:GO, valkeri and Tino_ have become too busy in real life, and most others show up rarely if at all to help.

And once again newbie mixes remains with far too little adminship and coaching and far too much newbie interest to sustain itself as it is.

So I come to you, TFTV, with one final plea from the current newbie mix admins for help.

As many of the current admins have become overrun with real life, I'm looking for both help running the group and coaching the players. To help bring in coaches, I've created a group specifically for coaches to organize meetings and discussions for how we can improve newbie mixes. This group will also be spammed every newbie mix night when we need coaches, if you weren't already annoyed enough from me messaging you every Friday. If you're interested in coaching, add me on steam and shoot me a message. It's not as hard as many people think - basic knowledge of the 6v6 game type typically suffices.

As far as helping administratively, it's the most mind numbingly simple job I need help with. Coaching is easier. All I need are multiple, consistent people to help with drafting games (dragging players into their teams) and setting up the in game servers (rcon, etc). Again, if you're interested in helping out with this, add me on steam and shoot me a message.

Thank you for reading this far if you have. And thank you for everything you've done as a community to help keep newbie mixes alive.

For those interested: newbie mixes will be happening tonight!!, at nine o'clock eastern time. Drop by and coach a game or two if you can.

mumble info:
chi4.tragicservers.com : 64737

the coaching group I was talking about:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/na6v6newbiemixcoaches/

Let me tell you a little story.

I began playing comp TF2 late 2012, and I thought I was late to the party. Season 12 of ESEA had just finished, and I came into the scene wide-eyed and bushy-tailed just to see mix^ slam the international competition at i46. At the time, in fact right after the i46 stream closed, I thought to myself: that was it. That was the pinnacle of competitive TF2. I really am late to the party; nothing else will come close to those TF2 matches that I just watched.

But I played competitive TF2 anyway. I thought to myself, "hey, I'll jump on this game and finish out the rest of its life and then move on to the next CS that's released." After playing for months on Jujump iT and Jump iT, I decided to drop the spy class and my steel highlander team and make the switch to 6v6 on soldier. Like any more casual competitive player I knew that tf2lobby existed, but I also knew of its reputation as the most hateful place to play TF2. As a result, I chose to play in [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ghwe1u0kwc]newbie mixes[/url]. From there I made the jump from pugs to league play, eventually playing in IM with Hell Xpress before taking a short break this past summer.

Well, six seasons, two international lans, and almost two and a half years later I've realized I wasn't late to the party at all, and in reality the party was just barely getting started. In my eyes, GXL took i46's place as the peak of competitive TF2, and I have no doubt that another event far in the future will surpass it too.

Competitive Team Fortress 2 is a game type that is not (currently) endorsed or supported by Valve. The most we've ever gotten is a [url=http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=15165]little mention in TF2's news section[/url]. For the immediate and unfortunate future, it seems it will stay that way. It is up to us as a community to come together and do something that Valve itself will not do: lower the barrier for entry into competitive TF2 by teaching new players the basics of the game type.

But newbie mix has had its fair share of problems. Both with coaches and with admins.

The general line of admins goes: Giffy, pet, milehighmilitia, Shwan, VickM, Noona. After Noona's death, pie_hero picked it up and recruited myself, Mr_Perfect (valkeri), and Tino_ and others to help.. Since this time (around August), pie_hero has left to focus on CS:GO, valkeri and Tino_ have become too busy in real life, and most others show up rarely if at all to help.

And once again newbie mixes remains with far too little adminship and coaching and far too much newbie interest to sustain itself as it is.

So I come to you, TFTV, with one final plea from the current newbie mix admins for help.

As many of the current admins have become overrun with real life, I'm looking for both help running the group and coaching the players. To help bring in coaches, I've created a group specifically for coaches to organize meetings and discussions for how we can improve newbie mixes. This group will also be spammed every newbie mix night when we need coaches, if you weren't already annoyed enough from me messaging you every Friday. If you're interested in coaching, add me on [url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/alosec]steam and shoot me a message[/url]. It's not as hard as many people think - basic knowledge of the 6v6 game type typically suffices.

As far as helping administratively, it's the most mind numbingly simple job I need help with. Coaching is easier. All I need are multiple, consistent people to help with drafting games (dragging players into their teams) and setting up the in game servers (rcon, etc). Again, if you're interested in helping out with this, add me on [url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/alosec]steam and shoot me a message[/url].

Thank you for reading this far if you have. And thank you for everything you've done as a community to help keep newbie mixes alive.

For those interested: newbie mixes will be happening [b]tonight!![/b], at nine o'clock eastern time. Drop by and coach a game or two if you can.

mumble info:
chi4.tragicservers.com : 64737

the coaching group I was talking about:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/na6v6newbiemixcoaches/
6 Frags +

tldr; newbie mixes is once again running short on coaches and admins. hit me up if you want to help out.

[b]tldr[/b]; newbie mixes is once again running short on coaches and admins. hit me up if you want to help out.
27 Frags +

Like alosec said up above the mixes need help and I am a tad mad at the way the community has handled them thus far, so this is going to be long and ranty and raw as all hell, so if I make anyone mad or "over step my bounds" by calling people out im not really sorry right now.

So as some of you may know the 6v6 Newbie Mixes are something that haven been running for a long time, they started off the back of Shwan, Giffy and Pet to give new 6v6 TF2 player a jumping off point to start from. Over the history we have had many many many people help out by either coaching or being a admin for the mixes and a big shoutout goes to those people. With that being said we are getting close to being totally done with them at this point, Pie had totally left and many people no longer have time to do them.

You may ask why pie left (hint its more then CS), you may not, either way I am going to tell you because its a problem that needs to be changed or we are done with the mixes. The main reason that this iteration of the mixes is falling apart if because of the fucking community being near useless, this is not directed to anyone that has been coaching or helping out (big thanks to you guys <3) This is directed at everyone else that has ever said the mixes are a good thing and they need to say alive, but yet when we ask people to coach its almost always "NO". Its also when we reach out to people that can make an actual difference with now things go, it does not matter if its the 4G guys or ANY other high level player, we have reached out and asked you all to come and help at least once and we might get like 2% of you actually replying and almost none of you come to help anymore so thank you so much for the kind words of "the mixes are great and they do a lot for the community" a lot of good they do for the actual running of them.....

With all they being said im going to call out some people for one last time if you actually want to see the mixes keep going and think they are good for TF2 then fucking do something about it. So anyone with ANY IM+ experience that wants to stop fucking crying about how tf2 is dead and come and help out that would be wonderful, Hell if you have 1 season of competent open play come and fucking help and im going to ask for one last time, B4nny come for a single fucking hour once in a while? You JUST made a video about how Lange is wrong etc... there was no reason in the world that that had to be made at all and it put way more pressure onto Lange then there needed to be, so how a bout you man the fuck up, stop streaming CS go for a hour and come prove that you actually think TF2 is not dead, thanks.

SO that about wraps it up, not sorry in the least that I sound like an ass, shit needs to change and you are the drivers behind it so dont say they are just a good thing, man the fuck up and help out or just fuck off because you are part of the problem. Yet again this is not pointed to wards anyone why actually shows up and helps out.

Like alosec said up above the mixes need help and I am a tad mad at the way the community has handled them thus far, so this is going to be long and ranty and raw as all hell, so if I make anyone mad or "over step my bounds" by calling people out im not really sorry right now.

So as some of you may know the 6v6 Newbie Mixes are something that haven been running for a long time, they started off the back of Shwan, Giffy and Pet to give new 6v6 TF2 player a jumping off point to start from. Over the history we have had many many many people help out by either coaching or being a admin for the mixes and a big shoutout goes to those people. With that being said we are getting close to being totally done with them at this point, Pie had totally left and many people no longer have time to do them.

You may ask why pie left (hint its more then CS), you may not, either way I am going to tell you because its a problem that needs to be changed or we are done with the mixes. The main reason that this iteration of the mixes is falling apart if because of the fucking community being near useless, this is not directed to anyone that has been coaching or helping out (big thanks to you guys <3) This is directed at everyone else that has ever said the mixes are a good thing and they need to say alive, but yet when we ask people to coach its almost always "NO". Its also when we reach out to people that can make an actual difference with now things go, it does not matter if its the 4G guys or ANY other high level player, we have reached out and asked you all to come and help at least once and we might get like 2% of you actually replying and almost none of you come to help anymore so thank you so much for the kind words of "the mixes are great and they do a lot for the community" a lot of good they do for the actual running of them.....

With all they being said im going to call out some people for one last time if you actually want to see the mixes keep going and think they are good for TF2 then fucking do something about it. So anyone with ANY IM+ experience that wants to stop fucking crying about how tf2 is dead and come and help out that would be wonderful, Hell if you have 1 season of competent open play come and fucking help and im going to ask for one last time, B4nny come for a single fucking hour once in a while? You JUST made a video about how Lange is wrong etc... there was no reason in the world that that had to be made at all and it put way more pressure onto Lange then there needed to be, so how a bout you man the fuck up, stop streaming CS go for a hour and come prove that you actually think TF2 is not dead, thanks.

SO that about wraps it up, not sorry in the least that I sound like an ass, shit needs to change and you are the drivers behind it so dont say they are just a good thing, man the fuck up and help out or just fuck off because you are part of the problem. Yet again this is not pointed to wards anyone why actually shows up and helps out.
newbie.tf
6 Frags +

I've been helping with noobie mixes for the past few months, and it's tragic that I'm the most experienced person they can get to coach at times. PLEASE if you have half an hour tonight, show up and coach some mixes.

I've been helping with noobie mixes for the past few months, and it's tragic that I'm the most experienced person they can get to coach at times. PLEASE if you have half an hour tonight, show up and coach some mixes.
4 Frags +

I'm joining boys.

I'm joining boys.
8 Frags +

I used to show up every single week to coach, but fridays just don't work for me anymore. I know a lot of other people are in the same boat too.

If you have alternate ways for us to help out I'd still love to.

I used to show up every single week to coach, but fridays just don't work for me anymore. I know a lot of other people are in the same boat too.

0 Frags +
reillyI used to show up every single week to coach, but fridays just don't work for me anymore. I know a lot of other people are in the same boat too.

put the word out on any forum or server you can.

doing your daily browse of /r/truetf2? see some nerds that wanna get in on competitive? send em a link to our group. any positive recommendation really helps.

I also hope that in the future we can move days or have multiple days in which they are run, depending on the interest in helping with adminship.

[quote=reilly]I used to show up every single week to coach, but fridays just don't work for me anymore. I know a lot of other people are in the same boat too.

If you have alternate ways for us to help out I'd still love to.[/quote]
put the word out on any forum or server you can.

doing your daily browse of /r/truetf2? see some nerds that wanna get in on competitive? send em a link to our group. any positive recommendation really helps.

I also hope that in the future we can move days or have multiple days in which they are run, depending on the interest in helping with adminship.
1 Frags +

you guys good on servers and stuff?

you guys good on servers and stuff?
2 Frags +

Yes we have tragic to thank for that we have all the servers and mumble covered

Yes we have tragic to thank for that we have all the servers and mumble covered
5 Frags +
smoboyou guys good on servers and stuff?

we are good on servers for the forseeable future, tragic's been helping us out for a while now.

speaking of tragic, shout out to him and his service at www.tragicservers.com. reliable servers at awesome prices

[quote=smobo]you guys good on servers and stuff?[/quote]
we are good on servers for the forseeable future, tragic's been helping us out for a while now.

speaking of tragic, shout out to him and his service at www.tragicservers.com. reliable servers at awesome prices
7 Frags +

Just want to say thanks for still having these going guys. Admittedly I haven't been able to come play [work, school deadlines, personal crap] as much as I would like, they were a lot of fun and good learning. Hopefully you get what you need.

Just want to say thanks for still having these going guys. Admittedly I haven't been able to come play [work, school deadlines, personal crap] as much as I would like, they were a lot of fun and good learning. Hopefully you get what you need.
0 Frags +

amazing news ladies and gents: the king of medic monkey "medic-legend" suit will be streaming the mix he coaches at http://www.twitch.tv/monkeysuit005

tune in to watch him grace other gamers with his healing knowledge

JasbuttsJust want to say thanks for still having these going guys. Admittedly I haven't been able to come play [work, school deadlines, personal crap] as much as I would like, they were a lot of fun and good learning. Hopefully you get what you need.

thanks Jas :}

[b]amazing news ladies and gents[/b]: the [u]king of medic[/u] monkey "medic-legend" suit will be streaming the mix he coaches at http://www.twitch.tv/monkeysuit005

tune in to watch him grace other gamers with his healing knowledge

[quote=Jasbutts]Just want to say thanks for still having these going guys. Admittedly I haven't been able to come play [work, school deadlines, personal crap] as much as I would like, they were a lot of fun and good learning. Hopefully you get what you need.[/quote]
thanks Jas :}
1 Frags +

All right, I just came back from a fundraiser and I cannot feel my legs but I am ready to coach some newbie mixes.

All right, I just came back from a fundraiser and I cannot feel my legs but I am ready to coach some newbie mixes.
2 Frags +

Yo I'm fucking shit at this game but I'm up for coaching next Friday.

Yo I'm fucking shit at this game but I'm up for coaching next Friday.
2 Frags +

I'd be down to coach, but I don't know if you really want someone with only one whole season of UGC Steel experience and occasional Open experience. Been in the TF2 community for 2 years though. HMU next week if you need me.

I'd be down to coach, but I don't know if you really want someone with only one whole season of UGC Steel experience and occasional Open experience. Been in the TF2 community for 2 years though. HMU next week if you need me.
0 Frags +
flatlineAll right, I just came back from a fundraiser and I cannot feel my legs but I am ready to coach some newbie mixes.HuckYo I'm fucking shit at this game but I'm up for coaching next Friday.

thanks for all the interest :} the key is keeping up this interest for weeks to come

hookyI'd be down to coach, but I don't know if you really want someone with only one whole season of UGC Steel experience and occasional Open experience. Been in the TF2 community for 2 years though. HMU next week if you need me.

it all depends on how comfortable you feel easing newer players into the gameptype. I firmly believe that all you need to know how to do is play 6v6 TF2, although deeper discussion of strategy might be lost.

[quote=flatline]All right, I just came back from a fundraiser and I cannot feel my legs but I am ready to coach some newbie mixes.[/quote]
[quote=Huck]Yo I'm fucking shit at this game but I'm up for coaching next Friday.[/quote]
thanks for all the interest :} the key is keeping up this interest for weeks to come

[quote=hooky]I'd be down to coach, but I don't know if you really want someone with only one whole season of UGC Steel experience and occasional Open experience. Been in the TF2 community for 2 years though. HMU next week if you need me.[/quote]
it all depends on how comfortable you feel easing newer players into the gameptype. I firmly believe that all you need to know how to do is play 6v6 TF2, although deeper discussion of strategy might be lost.
0 Frags +

fuck i always forget because there's no announcement on the event page ;-;

fuck i always forget because there's no announcement on the event page ;-;
0 Frags +

Id be glad to help out next week, although im from the land of the Brits. what time is it and when next week?

Id be glad to help out next week, although im from the land of the Brits. what time is it and when next week?
newbie.tf
0 Frags +
ShooshId be glad to help out next week, although im from the land of the Brits. what time is it and when next week?

Every Friday from 9 est until they die, usually around 1 am est.

[quote=Shoosh]Id be glad to help out next week, although im from the land of the Brits. what time is it and when next week?[/quote]
Every Friday from 9 est until they die, usually around 1 am est.
5 Frags +

Yo I'm sitting on my arse for the next 2 months, please let me be of some benefit to society and coach some nerds. I'm from New Zealand so it's something like 4PM when you say they die so I'll be able to coach for the whole time.

Yo I'm sitting on my arse for the next 2 months, please let me be of some benefit to society and coach some nerds. I'm from New Zealand so it's something like 4PM when you say they die so I'll be able to coach for the whole time.
0 Frags +

I'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work!

I'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work!
1 Frags +

I got weekends off now, I'd be interested to coach a bit when an announcement pops up.

I got weekends off now, I'd be interested to coach a bit when an announcement pops up.
7 Frags +

having newbie mixes on friday nights just means that any adult with a social life and/or crippling alcoholism will very rarely participate

having newbie mixes on friday nights just means that any adult with a social life and/or crippling alcoholism will very rarely participate
1 Frags +
AloSectldr; newbie mixes is once again running short on coaches and admins. hit me up if you want to help out.

theres a thread like this every time newbie mixes are ran

[quote=AloSec][b]tldr[/b]; newbie mixes is once again running short on coaches and admins. hit me up if you want to help out.[/quote]
theres a thread like this every time newbie mixes are ran
0 Frags +
tstmI'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work!

Don't know where you live exactly but the mixes go approximately from between 1pm friday to 5pm friday aedt (melbourne, sydney and tasmania time right now). Adelaide it's 12.30-4.30, queensland it's 12-4 and wa it's 10am until 2pm. Hopefully I haven't fucked up the conversions :p

[quote=tstm]I'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work![/quote]
Don't know where you live exactly but the mixes go approximately from between 1pm friday to 5pm friday aedt (melbourne, sydney and tasmania time right now). Adelaide it's 12.30-4.30, queensland it's 12-4 and wa it's 10am until 2pm. Hopefully I haven't fucked up the conversions :p
newbie.tf
0 Frags +
tstmI'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work!

The coaches teach everyone, but only a broad, simple understanding of the roles are needed to coach.

[quote=tstm]I'd be up for teaching pocket/roamer but I don't know how time differences would work![/quote]
The coaches teach everyone, but only a broad, simple understanding of the roles are needed to coach.
2 Frags +

I come in and coach most nights it's honestly really fun.

I come in and coach most nights it's honestly really fun.
-2 Frags +

nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.

nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.
newbie.tf
0 Frags +
Saltysally1nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.

I don't know how long ago you did this, because alosec and company have really cracked down on those people. Obviously there will always be idiots that wish they were actually good enough to stomp anyone but noobies, but it's certainly not a norm.

[quote=Saltysally1]nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.[/quote]
I don't know how long ago you did this, because alosec and company have really cracked down on those people. Obviously there will always be idiots that wish they were actually good enough to stomp anyone but noobies, but it's certainly not a norm.
-3 Frags +
KevinIsPwnSaltysally1nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.I don't know how long ago you did this, because alosec and company have really cracked down on those people. Obviously there will always be idiots that wish they were actually good enough to stomp anyone but noobies, but it's certainly not a norm.

last time i was there, never went back sadly

if they're being run correctly i'd be happy to come help out.

[quote=KevinIsPwn][quote=Saltysally1]nobody wants to coach mixes because the admins hardly administrate lmao. Last time i was there you had open players stacking teams and wouldn't ban them because "they're fine". us open players aren't new we're just bad and theres other resources available.[/quote]
I don't know how long ago you did this, because alosec and company have really cracked down on those people. Obviously there will always be idiots that wish they were actually good enough to stomp anyone but noobies, but it's certainly not a norm.[/quote]
last time i was there, never went back sadly

if they're being run correctly i'd be happy to come help out.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.