0 Frags +

hey guys,

basically I'm wondering if I need a new pc, currently I've got:

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
h50 or h60 cooling for my cpu

my pc freezes up and crashes a fair bit, i had it overclocked for a long time to get better performance in games

everythings about 3 years old although I did some upgrades like new gfx card. I could spend like $2k to get something new if its worth doing?

hey guys,

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760

my pc freezes up and crashes a fair bit, i had it overclocked for a long time to get better performance in games

everythings about 3 years old although I did some upgrades like new gfx card. I could spend like $2k to get something new if its worth doing?
-5 Frags +

depends. have you found that you have trouble running games, especially newer ones? honestly the only thing I could think about bothering to update further is your gfx. it would never hurt to get a new pc i guess, but with those specs youre probably fine.

depends. have you found that you have trouble running games, especially newer ones? honestly the only thing I could think about bothering to update further is your gfx. it would never hurt to get a new pc i guess, but with those specs youre probably fine.
2 Frags +
dokidokipanicdepends. have you found that you have trouble running games, especially newer ones? honestly the only thing I could think about bothering to update further is your gfx. it would never hurt to get a new pc i guess, but with those specs youre probably fine.

"upgrade ur newest part lol haha"

rofl.

Look into your processor, if you've been overclocking it's more likely to be that more than anything else. Check that your cooling isn't clogged up with dust, and turn off your OC for a while to see if it gets better. I'd also run memtest on your ram, doesnt hurt and if it is your memory you dont want to be spending heaps of money on processors and mobos before you find it's an 80 dollar fix.

[quote=dokidokipanic]depends. have you found that you have trouble running games, especially newer ones? honestly the only thing I could think about bothering to update further is your gfx. it would never hurt to get a new pc i guess, but with those specs youre probably fine.[/quote]

"upgrade ur newest part lol haha"

rofl.

Look into your processor, if you've been overclocking it's more likely to be that more than anything else. Check that your cooling isn't clogged up with dust, and turn off your OC for a while to see if it gets better. I'd also run memtest on your ram, doesnt hurt and if it is your memory you dont want to be spending heaps of money on processors and mobos before you find it's an 80 dollar fix.
0 Frags +

i would follow kenneth's advice to start.
check temperatures and check task manager (or whatever else) to check how much cpu is used when idle. also check stuff like services running, and just try to get rid of as much as you can.
modern PCs can take a good beating, but if things stack up...

and, i'm not familiar with your motherboard but, it's always worth it to look into everything that you can change in your BIOS. not just overclock-related settings.

a fresh start (disk wipe + installing windows) can also accomplish alot!
i would save the option to buy new stuff for last.

i would follow kenneth's advice to start.
check temperatures and check task manager (or whatever else) to check how much cpu is used when idle. also check stuff like services running, and just try to get rid of as much as you can.
modern PCs can take a good beating, but if things stack up...

and, i'm not familiar with your motherboard but, it's always worth it to look into everything that you can change in your BIOS. not just overclock-related settings.

a fresh start (disk wipe + installing windows) can also accomplish alot!
i would save the option to buy new stuff for last.
-1 Frags +
termohey guys,

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760

Your setup is quite good, I don't know what might cause the freezes but check if the HDD is dying, if your PSU is dying, check if motherboard is dying and lastly check RAM. A cool purchase you could do is getting a SSD, if you don't have one.

[quote=termo]hey guys,

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760

everythings about 3 years old although I did some upgrades like new gfx card. I could spend like $2k to get something new if its worth doing?[/quote]
Your setup is quite good, I don't know what might cause the freezes but check if the HDD is dying, if your PSU is dying, check if motherboard is dying and lastly check RAM. A cool purchase you could do is getting a SSD, if you don't have one.
-1 Frags +
hurrykanntermohey guys,

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760

thanks I got one

im going to give my computer a clean because I havent done that in the 3 yrs ive owned it :D also i didnt mention one of my case fans died (this can be easily replaced?)

maybe investing in better cooling also might not be a bad alternative to buying whole new parts if my existing ones are OK?

[quote=hurrykann][quote=termo]hey guys,

intel core i7 2600k
asrock z77 extreme9
nvidia geforce gtx 760

everythings about 3 years old although I did some upgrades like new gfx card. I could spend like $2k to get something new if its worth doing?[/quote]
Your setup is quite good, I don't know what might cause the freezes but check if the HDD is dying, if your PSU is dying, check if motherboard is dying and lastly check RAM. A cool purchase you could do is getting a SSD, if you don't have one.[/quote]

thanks I got one

im going to give my computer a clean because I havent done that in the 3 yrs ive owned it :D also i didnt mention one of my case fans died (this can be easily replaced?)

maybe investing in better cooling also might not be a bad alternative to buying whole new parts if my existing ones are OK?
3 Frags +

Watch out with cleaning tho, a lot of pc parts can easily get damaged if not done right. You should probably buy a compressed air can and then try to get all the dust underneath certain parts out of there and later vacum it up.

Also before doing anything in your pc, disable you PSU and ground yourself to something.

never blow! A tiny bit if water from your mouth on the wrong place on a PCB could do damage when you startup your pc again after cleaning.

Watch out with cleaning tho, a lot of pc parts can easily get damaged if not done right. You should probably buy a compressed air can and then try to get all the dust underneath certain parts out of there and later vacum it up.

Also before doing anything in your pc, disable you PSU and ground yourself to something.

never blow! A tiny bit if water from your mouth on the wrong place on a PCB could do damage when you startup your pc again after cleaning.
0 Frags +

Definitely not a bad idea since you'll have better ability to overclock. If you decided to upgrade anything it would be mobo+processor to accommodate for the new Intel processors. Like everybody else said though your build is good. $.02

Definitely not a bad idea since you'll have better ability to overclock. If you decided to upgrade anything it would be mobo+processor to accommodate for the new Intel processors. Like everybody else said though your build is good. $.02
5 Frags +

Could you be a bit more specific about the crashes?
PSU model could also be interesting.

Other than that standard procedure:
Check temps and clean if you don't clean it regularly
Run memtest86
Reinstall OS
stability test GPU, if possible in another PC
stability test CPU OC
stability test CPU stock
stability test CPU stock clocks, slightly increased voltage

Pay attention to the specific crashes/error messages.

For grounding, assuming you don't have eqipment for it, there's two ways:
own safety > pc
Turn off the PSU, pull the plug. Before opening the case or touching anything inside touch the bare copper pipes on a radiator on anything else metal with a good ground connection.
pc > self
Turn off the PSU, but don't unplug it. Ground yourself like I described, then open the case and unplug the power button before touching anything else if you can, just to make sure.

You are severly underestimating how much horsepower of an overclocked i7-2600K. I can list several games where a GTX 760 would be the bottleneck.

Could you be a bit more specific about the crashes?
PSU model could also be interesting.

Other than that standard procedure:
Check temps and clean if you don't clean it regularly
Run memtest86
Reinstall OS
stability test GPU, if possible in another PC
stability test CPU OC
stability test CPU stock
stability test CPU stock clocks, slightly increased voltage

Pay attention to the specific crashes/error messages.

For grounding, assuming you don't have eqipment for it, there's two ways:
own safety > pc
Turn off the PSU, pull the plug. Before opening the case or touching anything inside touch the bare copper pipes on a radiator on anything else metal with a good ground connection.
pc > self
Turn off the PSU, but don't unplug it. Ground yourself like I described, then open the case and unplug the power button before touching anything else if you can, just to make sure.

You are severly underestimating how much horsepower of an overclocked i7-2600K. I can list several games where a GTX 760 would be the bottleneck.
2 Frags +

This wouldnt be a decent PC thread without the all mighty Setsul

This wouldnt be a decent PC thread without the all mighty Setsul
3 Frags +

Setsul

http://thelistlove.com.gridhosted.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/162.jpg

Setsul
[img]http://thelistlove.com.gridhosted.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/162.jpg[/img]
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.