Upvote Upvoted 19 Downvote Downvoted
Educating the masses
0 Frags +

Using the playcomp.tf tag and asking about comp during pub games has netted me a total of 0 people adding me or asking about it and a total of 3 or 4 people saying that it was a phishing link, 2 people saying that I was an asshole, and 1 person looking it up and saying "it gave me viruses." Truly le master trole xD.

In my experience, asking people that you perceive to be skilled with a more congratulatory tone "hey, you're pretty good. have you tried comp tf2?" and then adding them has netted me 10 people, and after adding I've directed them to playcomp. This makes the success rate higher, since people can see me as being more trustworthy (esp. after seeing a real, non-private, tf2 geared profile) and as wanting them to succeed.

In my opinion, presenting a link first is not the best way to go, and starting off with a compliment plays to people's good side, increasing the chance that they believe you and educate themselves. Keeping playcomp in your name helps lend credibility as well.

Since switching strategy I've found a team for 3 people and talked to 5 more about finding a team. The other 2 said they didn't have time for it and had considered it before.

I suppose the main function of this post is a discussion on strategy for educating pubbers and the best ways to lend credibility to your actions without speaking from a high horse or appearing to be doing so.

Using the playcomp.tf tag and asking about comp during pub games has netted me a total of 0 people adding me or asking about it and a total of 3 or 4 people saying that it was a phishing link, 2 people saying that I was an asshole, and 1 person looking it up and saying "it gave me viruses." Truly le master trole xD.

In my experience, asking people that you perceive to be skilled with a more congratulatory tone "hey, you're pretty good. have you tried comp tf2?" and then adding them has netted me 10 people, and after adding I've directed them to playcomp. This makes the success rate higher, since people can see me as being more trustworthy (esp. after seeing a real, non-private, tf2 geared profile) and as wanting them to succeed.

In my opinion, presenting a link first is not the best way to go, and starting off with a compliment plays to people's good side, increasing the chance that they believe you and educate themselves. Keeping playcomp in your name helps lend credibility as well.

Since switching strategy I've found a team for 3 people and talked to 5 more about finding a team. The other 2 said they didn't have time for it and had considered it before.

I suppose the main function of this post is a discussion on strategy for educating pubbers and the best ways to lend credibility to your actions without speaking from a high horse or appearing to be doing so.
32 Frags +

do they make a Social Interactions for Dummies

because apparently that's what this community needs

i never would have thought that being complimentary, pleasant, and personalized would yield better results than hitting a bind and having a link in your alias

do they make a Social Interactions for Dummies

because apparently that's what this community needs

i never would have thought that being complimentary, pleasant, and personalized would yield better results than hitting a bind and having a link in your alias
5 Frags +

The problem wasn't hitting a bind. It was having a link period. Even attempts to ask them to go to the steam guide on my profile or add me (without giving links) were rebuffed by the high horse responses.

The problem wasn't hitting a bind. It was having a link period. Even attempts to ask them to go to the steam guide on my profile or add me (without giving links) were rebuffed by the high horse responses.
15 Frags +

why didnt you just add them like a normal person

why didnt you just add them like a normal person
1 Frags +

uh i rather recommend ppl using comp.tf tag instead as it contains significantly more information about tf2 competitive compare to playcomp where as that page contains just a summary of what comp is and just 1 page

uh i rather recommend ppl using comp.tf tag instead as it contains significantly more information about tf2 competitive compare to playcomp where as that page contains just a summary of what comp is and just 1 page
26 Frags +

just spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation

just spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation
0 Frags +

We can only be expected to help get their foot in the door, practicing and finding a team is up to them and their responsibility.

We can only be expected to help get their foot in the door, practicing and finding a team is up to them and their responsibility.
20 Frags +
jwsojust spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation

i got fucking banned from skial because some fag said i was masking lmaobox

[quote=jwso]just spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation[/quote]

6 Frags +
Woogiebugjwsojust spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation

Lmfao

[quote=Woogiebug][quote=jwso]just spam "GET GOOD, GET PLAYCOMP.TF" every time someone makes a hackusation[/quote]

i got fucking banned from skial because some fag said i was masking lmaobox[/quote]

Lmfao
10 Frags +

Honestly, I think it is a matter of personal commitment and time. Obviously adding people, complimenting their skill, and helping them through that initial process of finding a team and stuff like that is going to yield far better results than just wearing the tag and spamming chat with it.

But not everyone has the time or interest to take the personal approach with everyone they meet, and that is fine. If they wear the tag and carry themselves with a bit of dignity (and skill) then people who see the tag enough, worn by people who all seem like decent folks and all obviously play the game well, then they will get interested, whether they add you to ask about it or not. And that is equally helpful.

The biggest thing that I can say is that people should try to avoid turning the playcomp.tf tag/bind into a new way to insult pub players. All that does is add credence to this idea that it is not a legitimate link and reinforces the idea that the competitive community is not worth someone's time.

Honestly, I think it is a matter of personal commitment and time. Obviously adding people, complimenting their skill, and helping them through that initial process of finding a team and stuff like that is going to yield far better results than just wearing the tag and spamming chat with it.

But not everyone has the time or interest to take the personal approach with everyone they meet, and that is fine. If they wear the tag and carry themselves with a bit of dignity (and skill) then people who see the tag enough, worn by people who all seem like decent folks and all obviously play the game well, then they will get interested, whether they add you to ask about it or not. And that is equally helpful.

The biggest thing that I can say is that people should try to avoid turning the playcomp.tf tag/bind into a new way to insult pub players. All that does is add credence to this idea that it is not a legitimate link and reinforces the idea that the competitive community is not worth someone's time.
10 Frags +

bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? You can be this good if you play with better players. playcomp.tf"

bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? You can be this good if you play with better players. playcomp.tf"
11 Frags +
disengagebind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."

most pubbers really have no clue what the hell an airshot is or the signifigance of it even though it is literally defined by its phrase

[quote=disengage]bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."[/quote]

most pubbers really have no clue what the hell an airshot is or the signifigance of it even though it is literally defined by its phrase
-2 Frags +
gtdisengagebind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."

I landed a direct on this pyro that was like a foot off the ground and two guys starting jacking off over the mic about my 'sik airshot'

[quote=gt][quote=disengage]bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."[/quote]

most pubbers really have no clue what the hell an airshot is or the signifigance of it even though it is literally defined by its phrase[/quote]

I landed a direct on this pyro that was like a foot off the ground and two guys starting jacking off over the mic about my 'sik airshot'
17 Frags +
gtdisengagebind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."

I hit a DH airshot on a scout the other day and my medic says "nice aerial hit dude!"
Made me crack a smile.

[quote=gt][quote=disengage]bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."[/quote]

most pubbers really have no clue what the hell an airshot is or the signifigance of it even though it is literally defined by its phrase[/quote]
I hit a DH airshot on a scout the other day and my medic says "nice aerial hit dude!"
Made me crack a smile.
0 Frags +
pl3xUsing the playcomp.tf tag and asking about comp during pub games has netted me a total of 0 people adding me or asking about it and a total of 3 or 4 people saying that it was a phishing link, 2 people saying that I was an asshole, and 1 person looking it up and saying "it gave me viruses." Truly le master trole xD.

I've got about 3 people to add me, and ask about it, but I'm also a regular on a few pubs so basically everyone knows me there. Also a sniper main which is honestly a pretty show off class so it could just be that difference as well.

I do agree though that playing to someones ego and telling them more about comp tf2 is far more likely to get people to start playing and being interested though.

[quote=pl3x]Using the playcomp.tf tag and asking about comp during pub games has netted me a total of 0 people adding me or asking about it and a total of 3 or 4 people saying that it was a phishing link, 2 people saying that I was an asshole, and 1 person looking it up and saying "it gave me viruses." Truly le master trole xD.[/quote]

I've got about 3 people to add me, and ask about it, but I'm also a regular on a few pubs so basically everyone knows me there. Also a sniper main which is honestly a pretty show off class so it could just be that difference as well.

I do agree though that playing to someones ego and telling them more about comp tf2 is far more likely to get people to start playing and being interested though.
8 Frags +
disengagegtdisengagebind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."
Made me crack a smile.

at least it's better than calling it a "middie"

[quote=disengage][quote=gt][quote=disengage]bind f "say Did you see that sick airshot I hit? No? Me neither."[/quote]

Made me crack a smile.[/quote]

at least it's better than calling it a "middie"
-1 Frags +

So I have in-game voice off since it's not needed in comp and really would only be annoying if someone used it. Would it be best to enable it?

So I have in-game voice off since it's not needed in comp and really would only be annoying if someone used it. Would it be best to enable it?
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.