Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
Server Rcon issues (technical)
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

First time posting here.
I'm trying to lobby with my own server, but rcon won't work. I can access the server. If cheats is enabled I can change things.
Here's (img) some info on the state of it (cfg, folder structure and start command) Once I'm on, I run:

] rcon_password 12345a
] rcon_address [SERVER IP]:27015
Setting rcon_address: [SERVER IP]:27015
] rcon maps *
] rcon sv_voiceenabled 1

As you can see, there isn't a response.
I can provide any additional info, as well as let you log into the machine if you want.

First time posting here.
I'm trying to lobby with my own server, but rcon won't work. I can access the server. If cheats is enabled I can change things.
[url=http://i.imgur.com/y9HliWA.png]Here's[/url] (img) some info on the state of it (cfg, folder structure and start command) Once I'm on, I run:

] rcon_password 12345a
] rcon_address [SERVER IP]:27015
Setting rcon_address: [SERVER IP]:27015
] rcon maps *
] rcon sv_voiceenabled 1

As you can see, there isn't a response.
I can provide any additional info, as well as let you log into the machine if you want.
2 Frags +

Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Can you connect to the server?
Anything show in the server console when you try it?

Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
0 Frags +
mr64bit_Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.

I can't figure out how to set rcon_address to default, but I tried before I ever set it, didn't work.
Yes I can connect.
I'm pretty sure nothing shows.

[quote=mr64bit_]Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Anything show in the server console when you try it?[/quote]
I can't figure out how to set rcon_address to default, but I tried before I ever set it, didn't work.
Yes I can connect.
1 Frags +
Lytigasmr64bit_Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.

If you don't set rcon_address, it will use the address of the server you're currently connected to.
Can you see other stuff in your client console? (Make sure con_filter_enable is 0)
If you go to the command line terminal of your server, ('screen -r tf2' if you've already disconnected from it) and enter a command, does it work from there?

[quote=Lytigas][quote=mr64bit_]Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.
I'm pretty sure nothing shows.[/quote]
If you don't set rcon_address, it will use the address of the server you're currently connected to.
Can you see other stuff in your client console? (Make sure con_filter_enable is 0)
If you go to the command line terminal of your server, ('screen -r tf2' if you've already disconnected from it) and enter a command, does it work from there?
2 Frags +

Try using HLSW so you can be sure that the issues are coming from the server and not your client

Try using [url=http://www.hlsw.org/]HLSW[/url] so you can be sure that the issues are coming from the server and not your client
1 Frags +

Are you attempting to use a hostname or the IP for the lobby? Either way, you might need to specify it with the "ip" command. Back when TF2Lobby was still up I never could get it to recognize my server's host name until I added it to my autoexec:

http://pastebin.com/ygzk1Rcs

Never did test or look into specifically why it needed that first line but, ever since adding it I've never had a problem connecting or using rcon from either IP or hostname.

Also check to be sure iptables is allowing TCP on the game port... you might need to allow 27000-27020.

Are you attempting to use a hostname or the IP for the lobby? Either way, you might need to specify it with the "ip" command. Back when TF2Lobby was still up I never could get it to recognize my server's host name until I added it to my autoexec:

http://pastebin.com/ygzk1Rcs

Never did test or look into specifically why it needed that first line but, ever since adding it I've never had a problem connecting or using rcon from either IP or hostname.

Also check to be sure iptables is allowing TCP on the game port... you might need to allow 27000-27020.
0 Frags +
mr64bit_Lytigasmr64bit_Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.

Yes, it does work from the console. I mean with rcon_address, does it get set every time a join a server, to the server I'm on? Yes I can see stuff in the console, such that I join the game etc.

[quote=mr64bit_][quote=Lytigas][quote=mr64bit_]Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.
If you go to the command line terminal of your server, ('screen -r tf2' if you've already disconnected from it) and enter a command, does it work from there?[/quote]

Yes, it does work from the console. I mean with rcon_address, does it get set every time a join a server, to the server I'm on? Yes I can see stuff in the console, such that I join the game etc.
0 Frags +
Lytigasmr64bit_Lytigasmr64bit_Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.

Sure you haven't gotten your IP banned in your server? (too many bad rcons in the past or something)
Type listip in the server console to check the banned IPs. I'm assuming that cause this is a new server, there shouldn't be anything there, so it there is, you can either 'removeip <banned ip>' for each listing, or you can shut the server down, and delete 'tf/cfg/banned_ip.cfg'.

[quote=Lytigas][quote=mr64bit_][quote=Lytigas][quote=mr64bit_]Unless you're not on the server already, you don't need to set rcon_address.
Yes I can connect.
If you go to the command line terminal of your server, ('screen -r tf2' if you've already disconnected from it) and enter a command, does it work from there?[/quote]

Yes, it does work from the console. I mean with rcon_address, does it get set every time a join a server, to the server I'm on? Yes I can see stuff in the console, such that I join the game etc.[/quote]
Sure you haven't gotten your IP banned in your server? (too many bad rcons in the past or something)
Type listip in the server console to check the banned IPs. I'm assuming that cause this is a new server, there shouldn't be anything there, so it there is, you can either 'removeip <banned ip>' for each listing, or you can shut the server down, and delete 'tf/cfg/banned_ip.cfg'.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.