Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
new mouse help
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I'm looking for a new mouse, I've read the last few mouse threads here but they haven't addressed all my issues. I was thinking about getting a logitech because of their great customer service, but I'm not 100% sure which one, and if a different brand has a clearly better one i'd be interested. What I'm looking for:

Sensor tracks accurately up to high speeds, I have a reasonably low sens and a lot of the mice I've used in the past can't cope with my flicks (they were all cheap crap though)
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny, my hands are medium-sized but I don't particularly like really small mice
A side button for PTT, a couple more are useful but not required
Decent mousewheel, atm I use scroll up and down for weapon switching, ideally middle mouse is for melee but my current mouse doesn't have that so i work around it

I've looked a bit at the logitech g502 (have read it might be a little small and has a mediocre mousewheel), g402 (inferior sensor although it doesn't fail at high speeds) and i kinda like the simplicity of the zowie fk but it also has some other negatives. Probably not interested in a Razer, they're a bit overpriced.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I'm looking for a new mouse, I've read the last few mouse threads here but they haven't addressed all my issues. I was thinking about getting a logitech because of their great customer service, but I'm not 100% sure which one, and if a different brand has a clearly better one i'd be interested. What I'm looking for:

Sensor tracks accurately up to high speeds, I have a reasonably low sens and a lot of the mice I've used in the past can't cope with my flicks (they were all cheap crap though)
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny, my hands are medium-sized but I don't particularly like really small mice
A side button for PTT, a couple more are useful but not required
Decent mousewheel, atm I use scroll up and down for weapon switching, ideally middle mouse is for melee but my current mouse doesn't have that so i work around it

I've looked a bit at the logitech g502 (have read it might be a little small and has a mediocre mousewheel), g402 (inferior sensor although it doesn't fail at high speeds) and i kinda like the simplicity of the zowie fk but it also has some other negatives. Probably not interested in a Razer, they're a bit overpriced.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
0 Frags +

zowie ec1 evo cl

zowie ec1 evo cl
2 Frags +
T0mzowie ec1 evo cl

I used the ec1 evo cl, but the coating started coming off after a month.
Is that fixed already?

[quote=T0m]zowie ec1 evo cl[/quote]
Is that fixed already?
1 Frags +
parashT0mzowie ec1 evo clI used the ec1 evo cl, but the coating started coming off after a month.
Is that fixed already?

Apparently all coating issues with the cl and fk2014 have been fixed.

[quote=parash][quote=T0m]zowie ec1 evo cl[/quote]
Is that fixed already?[/quote]
Apparently all coating issues with the cl and fk2014 have been fixed.
0 Frags +

Would recommend a g400s as it fits your requirements,g502 maybe too heavy for you,just saying.

Would recommend a g400s as it fits your requirements,g502 maybe too heavy for you,just saying.
0 Frags +

Which qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?

Which qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?
0 Frags +
povohatWhich qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?

The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others

[quote=povohat]Which qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?[/quote]

The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others
0 Frags +
parashT0mzowie ec1 evo clI used the ec1 evo cl, but the coating started coming off after a month.
Is that fixed already?

You can just use the glossy white version

[quote=parash][quote=T0m]zowie ec1 evo cl[/quote]
Is that fixed already?[/quote]

You can just use the glossy white version
0 Frags +
M4TTpovohatWhich qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?

I use this mouse and besides the added buttons, it feels very similar to a g400s in terms of shape and performance.

[quote=M4TT][quote=povohat]Which qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?[/quote]

The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others[/quote]

I use this mouse and besides the added buttons, it feels very similar to a g400s in terms of shape and performance.
0 Frags +

deathadder 1800 for the win ;D

deathadder 1800 for the win ;D
0 Frags +

i think you should go for the g502, because:

nopegreat customer service
Sensor tracks accurately up to high speeds
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny
A side button for PTTD

..and the sensor is sick.

google some reviews (check overclock for example), specifically for opinions on the scrollwheel.
and even if the scrollwheel is rather bad, i think you should still consider the mouse. because i'm sure you could work your way around that, too.

how important is the scrollwheel to you?
have you owned mice of which you thought the scroll-wheel is great?
answers to these could narrow down the options. because there are many many good mice nowadays :)

i think you should go for the g502, because:

[quote=nope]great customer service
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny
A side button for PTTD[/quote]

google some reviews (check overclock for example), specifically for opinions on the scrollwheel.
and even if the scrollwheel is rather bad, i think you should still consider the mouse. because i'm sure you could work your way around that, too.

answers to these could narrow down the options. because there are many many good mice nowadays :)
2 Frags +

g502, g402, g400s, g100s, some of the DAs, ninox aurora is probably good as well but really haven't seen much for it (I ended up canceling my pre-order), I wouldn't recommend most Zowie mice as they have a lot of mouse button input latency as seen here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411332/mouse-button-lag-comparison (only the AM and EC2evo are measured taking about 16ms longer than a g300 at reporting) worth noting the DAs really are not that great either being roughly 5-6ms slower at reporting mouse button presses. Btw they use a G300 as their 0 point.

g502, g402, g400s, g100s, some of the DAs, ninox aurora is probably good as well but really haven't seen much for it (I ended up canceling my pre-order), I wouldn't recommend most Zowie mice as they have a lot of mouse button input latency as seen here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411332/mouse-button-lag-comparison (only the AM and EC2evo are measured taking about 16ms longer than a g300 at reporting) worth noting the DAs really are not that great either being roughly 5-6ms slower at reporting mouse button presses. Btw they use a G300 as their 0 point.
1 Frags +
M4TTpovohatWhich qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?

It also has a bit of inbuilt mouse acceleration apparently, unless they've fixed that recently through firmware.

@bucake I'm used to appalling mice so I don't suppose my standards are too high, I'll definitely check out the g502. I'll go to a store, hopefully they'll let me play with it and the other recommendations you guys have given me (g400s in particular).

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

[quote=M4TT][quote=povohat]Which qualities of the G402 sensor do you believe to be inferior?[/quote]

The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others[/quote]
It also has a bit of inbuilt mouse acceleration apparently, unless they've fixed that recently through firmware.

@bucake I'm used to appalling mice so I don't suppose my standards are too high, I'll definitely check out the g502. I'll go to a store, hopefully they'll let me play with it and the other recommendations you guys have given me (g400s in particular).

3 Frags +

Just bought the G400s. Highly recommend it.

Just bought the G400s. Highly recommend it.
0 Frags +
AntaresJust bought the G400s. Highly recommend it.

I hear it has a bit of smoothing, have you noticed that at all?

[quote=Antares]Just bought the G400s. Highly recommend it.[/quote]
I hear it has a bit of smoothing, have you noticed that at all?
0 Frags +
nopeIt also has a bit of inbuilt mouse acceleration apparently, unless they've fixed that recently through firmware.

I think the g100's am010 has some jitter, not really sure though.

Bucakei think you should go for the g502, because:
nopegreat customer service
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny
A side button for PTTD

indeed the g502 has the best(?) sensor on the market at the moment, the 3366. But the weight maybe a problem,i think it's close to 120 grams,logitech please give 3366 g400s.

[quote=nope]

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.[/quote]

I think the g100's am010 has some jitter, not really sure though.

[quote=Bucake]i think you should go for the g502, because:

[quote=nope]great customer service
No acceleration
Palm grip
Not too tiny
A side button for PTTD[/quote]

answers to these could narrow down the options. because there are many many good mice nowadays :)[/quote]

indeed the g502 has the best(?) sensor on the market at the moment, the 3366. But the weight maybe a problem,i think it's close to 120 grams,logitech please give 3366 g400s.
1 Frags +
M4TTThe g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others

Why are those sensors better? Are you being general and vague because you don't know?

[quote=M4TT]The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others[/quote]
Why are those sensors better? Are you being general and vague because you don't know?
0 Frags +

Well,of course i could be wrong, but i've heard that it has some jitter and low PCS,it is also based on own experience since i used to have a g100s which uses the am010,if feels less accurate to ME and after switching to a g400s i played a dozen times better especially on sniper, once again i could be wrong because i am a general and vague noob.

Well,of course i could be wrong, but i've heard that it has some jitter and low PCS,it is also based on own experience since i used to have a g100s which uses the am010,if feels less accurate to ME and after switching to a g400s i played a dozen times better especially on sniper, once again i could be wrong because i am a general and vague noob.
0 Frags +
povohatM4TTThe g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and othersWhy are those sensors better? Are you being general and vague because you don't know?

All I read was that the sensor in the g402 was worse than the one in the g502 (obviously) but I didn't look any further into it once I heard that the 402 has inbuilt accel. What's your position on it pvh, I'm sure you know more than we do.

[quote=povohat][quote=M4TT]The g402 uses the am010 which is not as good as the big-name sensors such as the 3988,3310,3090,3366 and others[/quote]
Why are those sensors better? Are you being general and vague because you don't know?[/quote]
All I read was that the sensor in the g402 was worse than the one in the g502 (obviously) but I didn't look any further into it once I heard that the 402 has inbuilt accel. What's your position on it pvh, I'm sure you know more than we do.
0 Frags +

Oh okay,the g402's sensor fixed the pcs problem because of the "fusion" thingy,there is very little accel(close to none, you can't feel it),so my recommendation is the g502 is weight is not a problem, the razer deathadder could be a good choice also but build quality maybe a problem, the g400s is also a great choice,but the sensor(3090) maybe not as good in zowie mices such as the fk1(3310).good luck with buying a mice!

Oh okay,the g402's sensor fixed the pcs problem because of the "fusion" thingy,there is very little accel(close to none, you can't feel it),so my recommendation is the g502 is weight is not a problem, the razer deathadder could be a good choice also but build quality maybe a problem, the g400s is also a great choice,but the sensor(3090) maybe not as good in zowie mices such as the fk1(3310).good luck with buying a mice!
0 Frags +

g402 has no inbuilt accel
g502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy
zowie fk is good but has slightly rigid buttons

if I were you I'd pick between the deathadder, zowie evo cl, g400s and the aforementioned mice primarily depending on shape, although I would say the the g402 is mostly based off a gimmick you'll never flick that fast unless you play soldier at like 80cm/360

g402 has no inbuilt accel
g502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy
zowie fk is good but has slightly rigid buttons

if I were you I'd pick between the deathadder, zowie evo cl, g400s and the aforementioned mice primarily depending on shape, although I would say the the g402 is mostly based off a gimmick you'll never flick that fast unless you play soldier at like 80cm/360
0 Frags +

Anyone know if steelseries rival is any good?

Anyone know if steelseries rival is any good?
0 Frags +

It has an 3310, there's that.

It has an 3310, there's that.
0 Frags +
phraxg502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy

I love my g502s but had to swap because the scroll wheel is atrocius. Definitely a consideration if you use it for gaming.

[quote=phrax]
g502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy[/quote]

I love my g502s but had to swap because the scroll wheel is atrocius. Definitely a consideration if you use it for gaming.
0 Frags +
Kairuphraxg502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy

What exactly was wrong with the wheel? Hard to get moving? Hard to move it accurately and stop when required? Did you try the free scroll feature, and if so did it fix any of those features? I only need to be able to scroll up and down quickly, i don't care about controlling the distance it scrolls. How was using the scroll wheel as a button (mouse3)?

[quote=Kairu][quote=phrax]
g502 has best sensor on the market but is heavy[/quote]

I love my g502s but had to swap because the scroll wheel is atrocius. Definitely a consideration if you use it for gaming.[/quote]
What exactly was wrong with the wheel? Hard to get moving? Hard to move it accurately and stop when required? Did you try the free scroll feature, and if so did it fix any of those features? I only need to be able to scroll up and down quickly, i don't care about controlling the distance it scrolls. How was using the scroll wheel as a button (mouse3)?
1 Frags +
nopeWhat exactly was wrong with the wheel?

It's pretty heavy but I found the opposite, it's too easy to accidentally scroll, as well as carries its momentum. It'll keep spinning for a bit even when its locked. Free scroll just takes away any tactile feedback from it. It's a really nice wheel for browsing the internet, or sifting through documents or whatever, but it just felt bad for gaming. Going up then down in succession (Bhop, etc.) just didn't feel good.

It's also very large, and raised pretty high up. The material it's made out of I'm also not much of a fan of. Most other wheels I've used have more of a grippy type of texture whereas the g502 is just plastic, and your finger doesn't sit on it as well.

I don't really use mouse3 for anything, so I can't really comment too much on that, but just feeling it in my hand atm feels like I'd hit the mouse tilt actuation a lot.

That aside, the wheel isn't the only thing I disliked. The weight tray on the bottom has a bit of plastic that sticks out the left side, and the 'focus button' stopped my thumb from sitting comfortably, but I'd say those were personal gripes rather than objectively bads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOkeC7L1lY took me longer to type that than make this

[quote=nope]
What exactly was wrong with the wheel?[/quote]

It's pretty heavy but I found the opposite, it's too easy to accidentally scroll, as well as carries its momentum. It'll keep spinning for a bit even when its locked. Free scroll just takes away any tactile feedback from it. It's a really nice wheel for browsing the internet, or sifting through documents or whatever, but it just felt bad for gaming. Going up then down in succession (Bhop, etc.) just didn't feel good.

It's also very large, and raised pretty high up. The material it's made out of I'm also not much of a fan of. Most other wheels I've used have more of a grippy type of texture whereas the g502 is just plastic, and your finger doesn't sit on it as well.

I don't really use mouse3 for anything, so I can't really comment too much on that, but just feeling it in my hand atm feels like I'd hit the mouse tilt actuation a lot.

That aside, the wheel isn't the only thing I disliked. The weight tray on the bottom has a bit of plastic that sticks out the left side, and the 'focus button' stopped my thumb from sitting comfortably, but I'd say those were personal gripes rather than objectively bads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOkeC7L1lY took me longer to type that than make this
2 Frags +
Comangliag502, g402, g400s, g100s, some of the DAs, ninox aurora is probably good as well but really haven't seen much for it (I ended up canceling my pre-order), I wouldn't recommend most Zowie mice as they have a lot of mouse button input latency as seen here

this is pretty important, im not sure why this isnt referenced more often

either way, people seem to love zowie mice so i guess it must not be too awful

[quote=Comanglia]g502, g402, g400s, g100s, some of the DAs, ninox aurora is probably good as well but really haven't seen much for it (I ended up canceling my pre-order), I wouldn't recommend most Zowie mice as they have a lot of mouse button input latency as seen here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411332/mouse-button-lag-comparison (only the AM and EC2evo are measured taking about 16ms longer than a g300 at reporting) worth noting the DAs really are not that great either being roughly 5-6ms slower at reporting mouse button presses. Btw they use a G300 as their 0 point.[/quote]

this is pretty important, im not sure why this isnt referenced more often

either way, people seem to love zowie mice so i guess it must not be too awful
2 Frags +
16jacobjAnyone know if steelseries rival is any good?

I have one and love it, but the scroll wheel is awful so it won't meet OPs requirements

[quote=16jacobj]Anyone know if steelseries rival is any good?[/quote]

I have one and love it, but the scroll wheel is awful so it won't meet OPs requirements
0 Frags +
Kairuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOkeC7L1lY took me longer to type that than make this

thanks a lot for the info and the video, I appreciate it! :)

[quote=Kairu]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOkeC7L1lY took me longer to type that than make this[/quote]
thanks a lot for the info and the video, I appreciate it! :)
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.