Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
Need help setting up RAID
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I just finished building my new PC yesterday, and realized that the 2.5" HDD bay tray was two sided, so I moved my old 500GB HDD to my new PC with the new 2TB WD HDD and the 120GB Kingston SSD. Now my question is, can I migrate all the files I'd want on an SSD (Windows, Steam, TF2) from the 500GB HDD to the SSD? If so, I need help setting up RAID and configuring the drives, as I'm very BIOS illiterate.

I just finished building my new PC yesterday, and realized that the 2.5" HDD bay tray was two sided, so I moved my old 500GB HDD to my new PC with the new 2TB WD HDD and the 120GB Kingston SSD. Now my question is, can I migrate all the files I'd want on an SSD (Windows, Steam, TF2) from the 500GB HDD to the SSD? If so, I need help setting up RAID and configuring the drives, as I'm very BIOS illiterate.
1 Frags +
ViperStrikerI just finished building my new PC yesterday, and realized that the 2.5" HDD bay tray was two sided, so I moved my old 500GB HDD to my new PC with the new 2TB WD HDD and the 120GB Kingston SSD. Now my question is, can I migrate all the files I'd want on an SSD (Windows, Steam, TF2) from the 500GB HDD to the SSD? If so, I need help setting up RAID and configuring the drives, as I'm very BIOS illiterate.

Unless you're using Linux with software RAID kernel modules, or have a mobo with RAID support build in, then you'd need a RAID card.
Kinda confused why you want to though. With two different sized drives, your RAID drive will be the size of the smallest one.
Though I'm guessing you don't know what RAID based on what you're trying to do.

[quote=ViperStriker]I just finished building my new PC yesterday, and realized that the 2.5" HDD bay tray was two sided, so I moved my old 500GB HDD to my new PC with the new 2TB WD HDD and the 120GB Kingston SSD. Now my question is, can I migrate all the files I'd want on an SSD (Windows, Steam, TF2) from the 500GB HDD to the SSD? If so, I need help setting up RAID and configuring the drives, as I'm very BIOS illiterate.[/quote]
Unless you're using Linux with software RAID kernel modules, or have a mobo with RAID support build in, then you'd need a RAID card.
Kinda confused why you want to though. With two different sized drives, your RAID drive will be the size of the smallest one.
Though I'm guessing you don't know what RAID based on what you're trying to do.
3 Frags +

This. You don't want a RAID.

This. You don't want a RAID.
0 Frags +

Alright, yeah after reading up on RAID a bit more closely, that's not what I want. I just want my SSD and new HDD to show up in my drives list when I open Computer. I think I'll need to re-install Windows to get Windows onto the SSD but anything else I want there can just be moved over.

Alright, yeah after reading up on RAID a bit more closely, that's not what I want. I just want my SSD and new HDD to show up in my drives list when I open Computer. I think I'll need to re-install Windows to get Windows onto the SSD but anything else I want there can just be moved over.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.