Upvote Upvoted 55 Downvote Downvoted
UGC -> Open S18 prize challenge
1 Frags +

I was inspired by Cook's offer to help out some new/low Open teams with league fees for S18.

I am offering an incentive for teams to give Open a try this season.

I will put up $200 in prize money for the top finishing current/former UGC teams that play in ESEA Open TF2 S18. Prize distribution will be $100 for the top team in S18 Open standings, $60 for the runner-up and $40 for the second-runner-up among teams that apply and are accepted into this challenge.

There's only a little time left before S18 closes, so if your team is considering giving Open a shot, let this be an incentive to move on over.

A few rules (that may be tweaked as we get feedback):
1. To apply, PM me on TFTV (or have your team leader add me on steam) with your team's ESEA roster link and your UGC team profile link. You may do this up through the second week of seasonal play to apply.

2. Your roster must contain of at least 3 paid players who have at least two seasons of UGC together on the same roster (note: can be 6s or HL) and no complete season history in ESEA or CEVO (partials are OK within reason).
3. Your roster must contain no paid players at any point in the season who have ever been on an ESEA IM, Main, Invite or CEVO-P roster in any season.
4. I reserve the right to disqualify any team suspected of using players on alt accounts that would otherwise not qualify.
5. Completely new teams that are joining S18 may apply but will be up to my discretion to accept them into the challenge - in general I will accept any team of completely new to ESEA players but will be more open with largely intact current/former UGC teams.
6. After season's end, winning teams will be announced in this thread and the the team leader will receive the funds through PayPal (or we can work out another method later).

If you aren't eligible but want to contribute, I would be happy to join up with other donators to increase the pool or add more prizes, or get help spreading the word to potential teams.
I will cross-post this later today to reddit and UGC (assuming they're OK with this on their site).

Edit Jan.29 - OK! Submissions are closed!

I am gonna be tracking the teams in this here doc. 14 teams entered, only one is dead so far, leaving 13 contenders! I am going to check rosters periodically for sandbaggers, so just because you're in right now doesn't guarantee anything!

I was inspired by Cook's offer to help out some new/low Open teams with league fees for S18.

I am offering an incentive for teams to give Open a try this season.

I will put up [b]$200[/b] in prize money for the top finishing current/former UGC teams that play in ESEA Open TF2 S18. Prize distribution will be $100 for the top team in S18 Open standings, $60 for the runner-up and $40 for the second-runner-up [u]among teams that apply and are accepted into this challenge[/u].

There's only a little time left before S18 closes, so if your team is considering giving Open a shot, let this be an incentive to move on over.

A few rules (that may be tweaked as we get feedback):
1. To apply, PM me on TFTV (or have your team leader add me on steam) with your team's ESEA roster link and your UGC team profile link. You may do this up through the second week of seasonal play to apply.

2. Your roster must contain of [b]at least[/b] 3 paid players who have [b]at least[/b] two seasons of UGC together on the same roster (note: can be 6s or HL) and no complete season history in ESEA or CEVO (partials are OK within reason).
3. Your roster must contain no paid players at any point in the season who have ever been on an ESEA IM, Main, Invite or CEVO-P roster in any season.
4. I reserve the right to disqualify any team suspected of using players on alt accounts that would otherwise not qualify.
5. [u]Completely[/u][b][/b] new teams that are joining S18 may apply but will be up to my discretion to accept them into the challenge - in general I will accept any team of completely new to ESEA players but will be more open with largely intact current/former UGC teams.
6. After season's end, winning teams will be announced in this thread and the the team leader will receive the funds through PayPal (or we can work out another method later).

If you aren't eligible but want to contribute, I would be happy to join up with other donators to increase the pool or add more prizes, or get help spreading the word to potential teams.
I will cross-post this later today to reddit and UGC (assuming they're OK with this on their site).

Edit Jan.29 - OK! Submissions are closed!

[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RAPce9Ukteo0hcjzUJvA28OK5lpWbH64PgjAhyNFRIs/edit?usp=sharing]I am gonna be tracking the teams in this here doc.[/url] 14 teams entered, only one is dead so far, leaving 13 contenders! I am going to check rosters periodically for sandbaggers, so just because you're in right now doesn't guarantee anything!
newbie.tf
7 Frags +

You could possibly mention that they can also get their fees paid with the help of cook.

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/21777/ill-pay-your-league-fees/

This is really great of you to do though. Thanks!

You could possibly mention that they can also get their fees paid with the help of cook.

This is really great of you to do though. Thanks!
0 Frags +

Thanks for doing this!

I'll be tossing in $20, but that number will probably go up once I start working and have finances figured out.

Edit: I'll actually be piggy-backing on Cook's offer.

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/21777/ill-pay-your-league-fees/?page=1#25

Thanks for doing this!

I'll be tossing in $20, but that number will probably go up once I start working and have finances figured out.

Edit: I'll actually be piggy-backing on Cook's offer.

http://teamfortress.tv/thread/21777/ill-pay-your-league-fees/?page=1#25
0 Frags +
KevinIsPwnYou could possibly mention that they can also get their fees paid with the help of cook.

I linked it the reddit post, should have here. Thanks for the reminder!

HKThanks for doing this!

Awesome, thank you!

[quote=KevinIsPwn]You could possibly mention that they can also get their fees paid with the help of cook.

[/quote]

I linked it the reddit post, should have here. Thanks for the reminder!

[quote=HK]Thanks for doing this!

I'll be tossing in $20, but that number will probably go up once I start working and have finances figured out.[/quote]

Awesome, thank you!
3 Frags +

We've got three rosters signed up so far, and another three people have contacted me but not sent an ESEA roster yet.

I've had a few people ask about their team of all new players that aren't necessarily a straight team porting over from UGC.
That's my bad for wording this not so clearly.

If you're a team of new players to Open (CEVO counts, sorry!), you are absolutely eligible regardless of where your players came from. The point about bringing people from the same team is mainly that if you bring your team over but pick up some experienced Open players, I won't hold it against you as long as they're not sandbaggers.

We've got three rosters signed up so far, and another three people have contacted me but not sent an ESEA roster yet.

I've had a few people ask about their team of all new players that aren't necessarily a straight team porting over from UGC.
That's my bad for wording this not so clearly.

If you're a team of new players to Open (CEVO counts, sorry!), you are absolutely eligible regardless of where your players came from. The point about bringing people from the same team is mainly that if you bring your team over but pick up some experienced Open players, I won't hold it against you as long as they're not sandbaggers.
0 Frags +

Hey, the deadline is past and we have 13 teams entered (plus one that died). Not bad! I have a google drive doc with the rosters and will start keeping up with standings after this week's matches ends - see the OP for the doc!

If you think someone is sandbagging or ineligible - please send me a PM with the issue and I will check on it.

Remember - results will follow ESEA standings at the end of the seasons!

Hey, the deadline is past and we have 13 teams entered (plus one that died). Not bad! I have a google drive doc with the rosters and will start keeping up with standings after this week's matches ends - see the OP for the doc!

If you think someone is sandbagging or ineligible - please send me a PM with the issue and I will check on it.

Remember - results will follow ESEA standings at the end of the seasons!
19 Frags +

Time to finally wrap this up!

This ended up being pretty close with first and second place being decided by rounds for and the third place squad just one win behind for the season.

1st Place ($100): Dong Kongs 9-7 (54 Rounds For, 40 Rounds against) - led by Dreamerrr.
2nd Place ($60): Guitar Heroes 9-7 (36 Rounds For, 42 Rounds against) - led by Lial
3rd Place ($40): All Blue 8-8 (44 Rounds For, 46 Rounds against) - led by Rage____

The prize money has been paid out per the leader's wishes (with the exception of one player who is choosing to take his share as ESEA fees for S19).

With this done, I'm open to suggestions on something to do in a similar vein for next season - the primary goal being to encourage new-ish players/teams to get into Open sooner rather than later. I'm not sure this did much to actually get teams into the league, though maybe it kept some teams sticking through the end (I like to think).

While none of the teams that entered made playoffs, plenty of them seemed to be competitive enough and many of the players are going to stick around for another season at least, which is a success in my book! Congrats to everyone that participated and made it through the season, best of luck next season!

Time to finally wrap this up!

This ended up being pretty close with first and second place being decided by rounds for and the third place squad just one win behind for the season.

[size=16][b]1st Place ($100): Dong Kongs [/b] 9-7 (54 Rounds For, 40 Rounds against) - led by Dreamerrr.[/size]
[size=14][b]2nd Place ($60): Guitar Heroes [/b] 9-7 (36 Rounds For, 42 Rounds against) - led by Lial[/size]
[b]3rd Place ($40): All Blue [/b] 8-8 (44 Rounds For, 46 Rounds against) - led by Rage____

The prize money has been paid out per the leader's wishes (with the exception of one player who is choosing to take his share as ESEA fees for S19).

With this done, I'm open to suggestions on something to do in a similar vein for next season - the primary goal being to encourage new-ish players/teams to get into Open sooner rather than later. I'm not sure this did much to actually get teams into the league, though maybe it kept some teams sticking through the end (I like to think).

While none of the teams that entered made playoffs, plenty of them seemed to be competitive enough and many of the players are going to stick around for another season at least, which is a success in my book! Congrats to everyone that participated and made it through the season, best of luck next season!
12 Frags +
plinko1st Place ($100): Dong Kongs 9-7 (54 Rounds For, 40 Rounds against) - led by Dreamerrr.

http://new4.fjcdn.com/comments/Shes+hot+_9a2030165a672fe3af751cc464a0e2ae.jpg

[quote=plinko][size=16][b]1st Place ($100): Dong Kongs [/b] 9-7 (54 Rounds For, 40 Rounds against) - led by Dreamerrr.[/size] [/quote]

[img]http://new4.fjcdn.com/comments/Shes+hot+_9a2030165a672fe3af751cc464a0e2ae.jpg[/img]
4 Frags +

this is fucking awesome btw plinko

this is fucking awesome btw plinko
newbie.tf
4 Frags +

huge props to all the new open teams. stick around, it gets more fun every season :D

huge props to all the new open teams. stick around, it gets more fun every season :D
4 Frags +

Thanks plinko! It was a fun season and I am pretty sure we'll play next season. Might even discuss with my team about actually calling ourselves Dong Kongs now.

Thanks plinko! It was a fun season and I am pretty sure we'll play next season. Might even discuss with my team about actually calling ourselves Dong Kongs now.
5 Frags +
plinkoWith this done, I'm open to suggestions on something to do in a similar vein for next season - the primary goal being to encourage new-ish players/teams to get into Open sooner rather than later. I'm not sure this did much to actually get teams into the league, though maybe it kept some teams sticking through the end (I like to think).

What about a pre-season tournament for teams who haven't played UGC, with 1st place getting all fees paid, 2nd place just getting entry fees, 3rd getting 3 people paid. It would cost a total of $60 more but I think if you got a fair number of teams it would show people what the lower level of open would look like and maybe get 4th place and below teams to see there would still be teams they would be close with.

[quote=plinko]

[/quote]

What about a pre-season tournament for teams who haven't played UGC, with 1st place getting all fees paid, 2nd place just getting entry fees, 3rd getting 3 people paid. It would cost a total of $60 more but I think if you got a fair number of teams it would show people what the lower level of open would look like and maybe get 4th place and below teams to see there would still be teams they would be close with.
1 Frags +
saamWhat about a pre-season tournament for teams who haven't played UGC, with 1st place getting all fees paid, 2nd place just getting entry fees, 3rd getting 3 people paid. It would cost a total of $60 more but I think if you got a fair number of teams it would show people what the lower level of open would look like and maybe get 4th place and below teams to see there would still be teams they would be close with.

2 weeks left until the deadline isn't nearly enough time left to organize and find teams for a tournament.

Maybe instead announce a prize pool on the UGC forum to pay league fees for the top finishing teams in steel/silver/gold playoffs this season. This might also be difficult, since the final matches for this season are the same night as the deadline.

[quote=saam]
What about a pre-season tournament for teams who haven't played UGC, with 1st place getting all fees paid, 2nd place just getting entry fees, 3rd getting 3 people paid. It would cost a total of $60 more but I think if you got a fair number of teams it would show people what the lower level of open would look like and maybe get 4th place and below teams to see there would still be teams they would be close with.[/quote]
2 weeks left until the deadline isn't nearly enough time left to organize and find teams for a tournament.

Maybe instead announce a prize pool on the UGC forum to pay league fees for the top finishing teams in steel/silver/gold playoffs this season. This might also be difficult, since the [url=http://www.ugcleague.com/schedule_tf26.cfm]final matches for this season[/url] are the same night as the deadline.
0 Frags +

Thank you so much Plinko! I really enjoyed the season of open and I plan on playing again for many seasons to come. It's a shame All Blue ended up dying but all of us really appreciated it!

Thank you so much Plinko! I really enjoyed the season of open and I plan on playing again for many seasons to come. It's a shame All Blue ended up dying but all of us really appreciated it!
-10 Frags +

I respect you for putting an offer like this with your own money, but I personally have not forgotten the bitcoin issue and the way lpkane treats players in the league.

I respect you for putting an offer like this with your own money, but I personally have not forgotten the bitcoin issue and the way lpkane treats players in the league.
7 Frags +
spicoliI respect you for putting an offer like this with your own money, but I personally have not forgotten the bitcoin issue and the way lpkane treats players in the league.

NICE ONE DUDE VALUED BUMP MY MAN :^)

[quote=spicoli]I respect you for putting an offer like this with your own money, but I personally have not forgotten the bitcoin issue and the way lpkane treats players in the league.[/quote]
NICE ONE DUDE VALUED BUMP MY MAN :^)
0 Frags +

The tournament is a really good idea - obviously not viable for S19 but worth thinking about for S20.

Sponsorships for UGC playoff teams is also a good idea I can do right now so will probably do something like that soon, thanks!

The tournament is a really good idea - obviously not viable for S19 but worth thinking about for S20.

Sponsorships for UGC playoff teams is also a good idea I can do right now so will probably do something like that soon, thanks!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.