Upvote Upvoted 15 Downvote Downvoted
Eureka! It's the Archimedes Cup
posted in News
Admirable
January 11, 2015

It’s only a matter of hours until the 1st TF2Center Archimedes Cup officially gets underway with a selection of games from the Group Stage being casted right here on TeamFortress.TV over the course of the evening.

TF2Center represents the gateway to competitive Team Fortress 2 and offers a bridge between the pandemonium of pub servers and the only slightly more organised chaos of competitive play that anyone can cross. The Archimedes Cup invites players to take the next step up from lobbies by banding together in teams to play some good old-fashioned 6v6, gain some experience and maybe even take a bite of the prize pie.

Event sponsors, Scrap.TF, have stumped up €1,000 in cold hard cash for the participants to fight over, but it’s not just the teams who get a slice of the action as a further €400 worth of items will be raffled off across the four nights of live streamed action coming at you over the next two weeks. Wait! There’s more: participants that go on to compete in ETF2L Season 20 will be entered in to another €200 raffle! I’m really very excited to see this connection being established between the trading and the competitive communities!

One of the founding scrapfathers, Geel, will be joining us on air along with TF2Center’s own MasterNoob and ETF2L’s PR guru, Hildreth. We might even be able to snare a few players and subject them to a ruthless interrogation at the hands of Sideshow and myself. I’ll let you decide who the good cop is and who the bad cop is...

Although the teams are composed of players with limited or no previous competition history, they are allowed to invite an experience buddy player to guide them and play medic. TFTV’s own CommanderX will be participating with The Essentials and will hopefully being sharing his thoughts and secret strategies with us at some point. We’ve also seen the Pipe Medigun Jesus himself, b4nny, offer his services for one lucky team by the name of Idiotic Cookie Gamers.

I don’t know for sure which games we will be covering tonight, but I did go fishing for a little backstory on r/tf2 a few days ago. So I’ll do my best to share the tragedies and triumphs that may yet befall Alright gorgeous, Comunidade Portuguesa New Wave Edition, Scrap Me Harder and triAngle. The fixtures should be coming out shortly on ETF2L.

Catch the show live tonight Sunday 11th January from 18:45CET / 12:45EDT when in additon to entertaining your socks off, your faithful hosts will be aiming to drop a payload of mad knowledge, breaking down some of the core concepts in 6v6 and making a stab at explaining what the hell is going on. If an evening with Europe’s top casters doesn’t float your boat you can always mute the stream and spam !raffle for your chance to win a bunch of Refined Metal and Keys, a horde of 40 Craft Hats and a pair of Bill’s Hats.

3 Frags +

I've distilled it further on r/tf2!
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/2s2hiw/1st_tf2center_archimedes_cup_going_live_in_90/

I've distilled it further on r/tf2!
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/2s2hiw/1st_tf2center_archimedes_cup_going_live_in_90/
3 Frags +

For seasoned competitors it won't be the most interesting TF2 you'll ever watch but for new players, it's a chance for them to flex their TF2 muscles.

Great stuff Ads!

For seasoned competitors it won't be the most interesting TF2 you'll ever watch but for new players, it's a chance for them to flex their TF2 muscles.

Great stuff Ads!
5 Frags +
HildrethFor seasoned competitors it won't be the most interesting TF2 you'll ever watch but for new players, it's a chance for them to flex their TF2 muscles.

Great stuff Ads!

Are you talking down me and Sideshow's casting abilities?

You lil' shit! :D

[quote=Hildreth]For seasoned competitors it won't be the most interesting TF2 you'll ever watch but for new players, it's a chance for them to flex their TF2 muscles.

Great stuff Ads![/quote]

Are you talking down me and Sideshow's casting abilities?

You lil' shit! :D
18 Frags +

Did they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.

Did they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.
17 Frags +
b4nny...if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.

http://i.giphy.com/QqMKFi59zy4Qo.gif

[quote=b4nny]...if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.[/quote]

[img]http://i.giphy.com/QqMKFi59zy4Qo.gif[/img]
-6 Frags +

1:05 PM - emkay: alo
1:05 PM - emkay: help me
1:05 PM - emkay: I think I'm becoming a shit poster on tftv
1:05 PM - emkay: I just posted my first slam dunk gif D:

1:05 PM - emkay: alo
9 Frags +
b4nnyDid they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.

I'm more bothered by the fact that a lot of those teams probably don't even have actual new players.

[quote=b4nny]Did they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.[/quote]

I'm more bothered by the fact that a lot of those teams probably don't even have actual new players.
2 Frags +
bowswer5I'm more bothered by the fact that a lot of those teams probably don't even have actual new players.

I don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.

[quote=bowswer5]I'm more bothered by the fact that a lot of those teams probably don't even have actual new players.[/quote]

I don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.
2 Frags +
SideshowI don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.

That's at least 640 players to check to see they have no experience. Or just aren't alts of people with experience. Are there enough people involved to go through all these? I wonder how many lobbies/pugs counts as 'no experience' as well.

Edit: If the 128 teams thing is true*

[quote=Sideshow]
I don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.[/quote]

That's at least 640 players to check to see they have no experience. Or just aren't alts of people with experience. Are there enough people involved to go through all these? I wonder how many lobbies/pugs counts as 'no experience' as well.

6 Frags +
KairuSideshowI don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.

You obviously haven't even read the restrictions or listened to anything we were talking about at all. The whole POINT is to bring in the players who've played loads of lobbies but not official games - we want to bring in the people who've already shown an interest in competitive to maximise the gain. The players aren't supposed to have "no experience" they're allowed a very specific amount of experience, or less. One season in the lowest division or less.

Of course these events are going to attract people who want to hack or account-share, but why are you bothered by it? The options are to A) have the event and have it regulated as strictly as possible, accepting that you might not be able to be 100% effective or B) think "fuck it" I'll just not run an awesome event to bring loads of new players into competitive. I mean come on, wtf negative nancy. Of course they're gonna run it and attempt to make it as good as possible.

So the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on. Tonnes of time went into identifying these players, with a team of admins, and seeing how much experience they had. Many teams were disqualified for having too much experience and then went on to fix their rosters and carry on playing - the vast majority will have been due to genuine errors. There is an AC team ready to handle any reports of potential cheaters and they can also identify account sharers. It's not foolproof but good god it's better than not running the event. And it's certainly taken a lot of effort.

[quote=Kairu][quote=Sideshow]
I don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.[/quote]

That's at least 640 players to check to see they have no experience. Or just aren't alts of people with experience. Are there enough people involved to go through all these? I wonder how many lobbies/pugs counts as 'no experience' as well.[/quote]

You obviously haven't even read the restrictions or listened to anything we were talking about at all. The whole POINT is to bring in the players who've played loads of lobbies but not official games - we want to bring in the people who've already shown an interest in competitive to maximise the gain. The players aren't supposed to have "no experience" they're allowed a very specific amount of experience, or less. One season in the lowest division or less.

Of course these events are going to attract people who want to hack or account-share, but why are you bothered by it? The options are to A) have the event and have it regulated as strictly as possible, accepting that you might not be able to be 100% effective or B) think "fuck it" I'll just not run an awesome event to bring loads of new players into competitive. I mean come on, wtf negative nancy. Of course they're gonna run it and attempt to make it as good as possible.

So the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on. Tonnes of time went into identifying these players, with a team of admins, and seeing how much experience they had. Many teams were disqualified for having too much experience and then went on to fix their rosters and carry on playing - the vast majority will have been due to genuine errors. There is an AC team ready to handle any reports of potential cheaters and they can also identify account sharers. It's not foolproof but good god it's better than not running the event. And it's certainly taken a lot of effort.
3 Frags +
KairuSideshowI don't know where you're getting this info from, the restriction were very clear and I'm sure it's being enforced.

Yes

[quote=Kairu][quote=Sideshow]

Edit: If the 128 teams thing is true*[/quote]
Yes
-4 Frags +

I think you missed the entire point of my post. I'm not questioning the tournament, the reasons, restrictions, saying they shouldn't be doing this or anything like that.

As an aside though: I'd also be curious to see an attachment rate. How many of these players actually do come into the scene. How many just wanted a shot at the prize pool and will continue not joining leagues.

SideshowSo the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on.

Why would I be? I've been excluded from this tournament.

That's the job of the tournament admins. What I'm questioning is the "I'm sure they're being enforced". It's a pretty simple question. It's a pretty big concern, because they should be, you shouldn't just go off a freaking assumption that they are.

CHERRYYes

Thanks, this one word told me more than Sideshow's rant.

I think you missed the entire point of my post. I'm not questioning the tournament, the reasons, restrictions, saying they shouldn't be doing this or anything like that.

As an aside though: I'd also be curious to see an attachment rate. How many of these players actually do come into the scene. How many just wanted a shot at the prize pool and will continue not joining leagues.

[quote=Sideshow]
So the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on. [/quote]

That's the job of the tournament admins. What I'm questioning is the "I'm sure they're being enforced". It's a pretty simple question. It's a pretty big concern, because they should be, you shouldn't just go off a freaking [b]assumption[/b] that they are.

[quote=CHERRY]
Yes[/quote]

3 Frags +

By "are you doing all you can" I meant as a question to the admins of the cup. When do rules in a league not get enforced? Sorry if it sounded like I'm ranting at you but whenever I see this cup being brought up somewhere (mostly etf2l) it's met by "oh it'll just be full of hackers what's the point".

By "are you doing all you can" I meant as a question to the admins of the cup. When do rules in a league not get enforced? Sorry if it sounded like I'm ranting at you but whenever I see this cup being brought up somewhere (mostly etf2l) it's met by "oh it'll just be full of hackers what's the point".
8 Frags +

I went through over a thousand profiles (!) to make sure that players didn't have too much experience in other leagues. So yeah, the rules are being taken seriously and they are being enforced.

Of course, there will always be slips, but if you suspect that anyone is alt accounting or cheating, don't hesitate to report it to us: http://etf2l.org/help/support/

I went through over a thousand profiles (!) to make sure that players didn't have too much experience in other leagues. So yeah, the rules are being taken seriously and they are being enforced.

Of course, there will always be slips, but if you suspect that anyone is alt accounting or cheating, don't hesitate to report it to us: http://etf2l.org/help/support/
14 Frags +
alosec1:05 PM - emkay: alo

http://i.imgur.com/vxyvnxb.png

http://i.imgur.com/eOD1ZeK.gif

[quote=alosec]1:05 PM - emkay: alo
1:05 PM - emkay: I just posted my first slam dunk gif D:[/quote]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/vxyvnxb.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eOD1ZeK.gif[/img]
4 Frags +
b4nnyDid they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.

I assure you it was tested an hour before, nobody can quite explain why it all went wrong. It isn't exclusively that, there were some methods of communication that were...inefficient, marked with the problems with the servers and lobbies it became unattainable. It's a bit of a shame it went down this way and I do apologize and take full responsibility for all the issues - We've seen the worst of what can happen we can only strive to make things better.

On the bright side I saw some good games, 1200+ viewers, Geel handing out those raffles, entertaining casts so I thought when we actually got the meat and potatoes that were the games, it went well.

[quote=b4nny]Did they not test run of any of this? It's a shame that 128 teams of new players are getting their first competitive TF2 experience from something so sloppily run. The #1 most important thing in running a tournament is getting it done in a timely fashion, especially when these teams have already been asked to commit 3 hours of their time this weekend to play, and if that means you need to test things beforehand please do or else your name might as well be JDawg.[/quote]

I assure you it was tested an hour before, nobody can quite explain why it all went wrong. It isn't exclusively that, there were some methods of communication that were...inefficient, marked with the problems with the servers and lobbies it became unattainable. It's a bit of a shame it went down this way and I do apologize and take full responsibility for all the issues - We've seen the worst of what can happen we can only strive to make things better.

On the bright side I saw some good games, 1200+ viewers, Geel handing out those raffles, entertaining casts so I thought when we actually got the meat and potatoes that were the games, it went well.
2 Frags +
KairuI think you missed the entire point of my post. I'm not questioning the tournament, the reasons, restrictions, saying they shouldn't be doing this or anything like that.

SideshowSo the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on.

That's the job of the tournament admins. What I'm questioning is the "I'm sure they're being enforced". It's a pretty simple question. It's a pretty big concern, because they should be, you shouldn't just go off a freaking assumption that they are.
CHERRYYes

As already discussed, numerous admins including Ond Kaja spent a long time checking and ensuring players fit the criteria. I was not against players with limited experience coming into the tournament, attracting new players from lobbies and retaining those with limited experience interest in competitive TF2 was one of the key motivators for organizing the event. It's mutually beneficial as TF2center gain exposure, ETF2L gain exposure, TF.TV gain exposure and Scrap.tf gain exposure and more sections of the community come together.

Sideshow hit the nail on the head - I'd rather we put on this event and take the risk of people abusing the system than not bothering to try at all out of fear of one or two people who want to cheat or sandbag. Besides think about it, 18 people will win prizes, you really think we're going to pay any money to any of them without being absolutely certain they aren't fakers? If there are fakers they're completely wasting their time and only risk lengthy bans.

[quote=Kairu]I think you missed the entire point of my post. I'm not questioning the tournament, the reasons, restrictions, saying they shouldn't be doing this or anything like that.

[quote=Sideshow]
So the argument becomes, are you doing all you can? All alts that get reported/detected will be acted on, and have been acted on. [/quote]

That's the job of the tournament admins. What I'm questioning is the "I'm sure they're being enforced". It's a pretty simple question. It's a pretty big concern, because they should be, you shouldn't just go off a freaking [b]assumption[/b] that they are.

[quote=CHERRY]
Yes[/quote]

Thanks, this one word told me more than Sideshow's rant.[/quote]

As already discussed, numerous admins including Ond Kaja spent a long time checking and ensuring players fit the criteria. I was not against players with limited experience coming into the tournament, attracting new players from lobbies and retaining those with limited experience interest in competitive TF2 was one of the key motivators for organizing the event. It's mutually beneficial as TF2center gain exposure, ETF2L gain exposure, TF.TV gain exposure and Scrap.tf gain exposure and more sections of the community come together.

Sideshow hit the nail on the head - I'd rather we put on this event and take the risk of people abusing the system than not bothering to try at all out of fear of one or two people who want to cheat or sandbag. Besides think about it, 18 people will win prizes, you really think we're going to pay any money to any of them without being absolutely certain they aren't fakers? If there are fakers they're completely wasting their time and only risk lengthy bans.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.