Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
Script Doesn't Fully Execute
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Hello everyone! I wrote something similar to this:

bind "f8" "message1; message2"
alias "message1" "say_team message1"
alias "message2" "say_team message2"

And whenever I press the key it's bound to it in-game, it will only execute message1. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: Removed extra quotation mark on line 2 of the script after "message1" and correct some spelling.

Hello everyone! I wrote something similar to this:

bind "f8" "message1; message2"
alias "message1" "say_team message1"
alias "message2" "say_team message2"

And whenever I press the key it's bound to it in-game, it will only execute message1. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: Removed extra quotation mark on line 2 of the script after "message1" and correct some spelling.
1 Frags +

extra quotation mark on second line: "mesage1""

extra quotation mark on second line: "mesage1""
0 Frags +

Thanks for pointing that out, but even when I remove it, the script does not fully execute.

Thanks for pointing that out, but even when I remove it, the script does not fully execute.
1 Frags +

Also mispelt mesage1, should be message1?

Also mispelt mesage1, should be message1?
0 Frags +

Changed that too, still does not work.

Changed that too, still does not work.
1 Frags +

Pretty sure you either need to use wait commands or chain it (and then hit the bind twice).

bind f8 messagebind

alias message1 "say_team Message 1; alias messagebind message2"
alias message2 "say_team Message 2; alias messagebind message1"
alias messagebind message1

EDIT: nvm sevennn's should work better for only two messages

Pretty sure you either need to use wait commands or chain it (and then hit the bind twice).

[code]bind f8 messagebind

alias message1 "say_team Message 1; alias messagebind message2"
alias message2 "say_team Message 2; alias messagebind message1"
alias messagebind message1[/code]

EDIT: nvm sevennn's should work better for only two messages
2 Frags +

bind "f8" "+message1"
alias +message1 "say_team message1"
alias -message1 "say_team message2"

something like this??

bind "f8" "+message1"
alias +message1 "say_team message1"
alias -message1 "say_team message2"

something like this??
1 Frags +

This is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"
alias "message1" "say_team message1; wait 150; say_team message2"

E: sevennn's should also work just in case the server has the wait command disabled.

This is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"

E: sevennn's should also work just in case the server has the wait command disabled.
1 Frags +
MegaMarblerThis is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"

Thanks! This works. I was using wait 100 before, so i'm going to assume the cooldown time is 150 frames.

[quote=MegaMarbler]This is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"

E: sevennn's should also work just in case the server has the wait command disabled.[/quote]

Thanks! This works. I was using wait 100 before, so i'm going to assume the cooldown time is 150 frames.
0 Frags +
kenkakuMegaMarblerThis is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"

cooldowns are probably in time, and not in frames. if you'd limit your fps to 10 and use wait 100, then you'd see that it will take alot longer to finish, as opposed to having 100 fps and using wait 100. so if cooldowns actually were in frames, having higher fps would give silly advantages.
but say_messages specifically, they will sort of stack. i'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but it looks like cooldowns on say_messages will increase as you are spamming. so one of the, or both of the messages might not even display.

some of the quotation marks aren't needed, by the way.
this would give the same result:

bind f8 message1
alias message1 "say_team message1; wait 150; say_team message2
[quote=kenkaku][quote=MegaMarbler]This is because there is a cooldown between sending messages in the in-game chat. You'll need a wait in there. This worked for me:

bind "f8" "message1"

E: sevennn's should also work just in case the server has the wait command disabled.[/quote]

Thanks! This works. I was using wait 100 before, so i'm going to assume the cooldown time is 150 frames.[/quote]

cooldowns are probably in time, and not in frames. if you'd limit your fps to 10 and use wait 100, then you'd see that it will take alot longer to finish, as opposed to having 100 fps and using wait 100. so if cooldowns actually were in frames, having higher fps would give silly advantages.
but say_messages specifically, they will sort of stack. i'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but it looks like cooldowns on say_messages will increase as you are spamming. so one of the, or both of the messages might not even display.

some of the quotation marks aren't needed, by the way.
this would give the same result:
[quote]bind f8 message1
alias message1 "say_team message1; wait 150; say_team message2[/quote]
-1 Frags +
Bucake
cooldowns are probably in time, and not in frames.

While true, something about frame-rate does affect the way wait works.

alias ct "+duck;wait 4;+attack;wait 8;-duck;+jump;wait 15;-attack;-jump"
bind mouse2 ct

This will do a perfect ctap (granted wait enabled), but will only perform it if you're at 200fps. Trying at 300 did not let me. I had to fps_max 201.

[quote=Bucake]

cooldowns are probably in time, and not in frames.[/quote]

While true, something about frame-rate does affect the way wait works.

[code]alias ct "+duck;wait 4;+attack;wait 8;-duck;+jump;wait 15;-attack;-jump"
bind mouse2 ct[/code]

This will do a perfect ctap (granted wait enabled), but will only perform it if you're at 200fps. Trying at 300 did not let me. I had to fps_max 201.
0 Frags +

kairu, he knows that. Wait is in frames, and the cooldown is in time. Frames per second is not a fixed quantity in a real time graphics scenario, so it can be very touchy.

I'm saving that ctap thing though, I've never really learned it and having a clearly laid out sequence of inputs might help me do it. (that is, studying the script not employing it)

kairu, he knows that. Wait is in frames, and the cooldown is in time. Frames per second is not a fixed quantity in a real time graphics scenario, so it can be very touchy.

I'm saving that ctap thing though, I've never really learned it and having a clearly laid out sequence of inputs might help me do it. (that is, studying the script not employing it)
0 Frags +

You can do multiple message scripts without the wait command but you will need to press the button x times for x ammount of messages. Ex:

bind KP_LEFTARROW bindtext
alias bindtext0 "say text1; alias bindtext bindtext1"
alias bindtext1 "say text2; alias bindtext bindtext2"
alias bindtext bindtext0

etc...

You can do multiple message scripts without the wait command but you will need to press the button x times for x ammount of messages. Ex:

bind KP_LEFTARROW bindtext
alias bindtext0 "say text1; alias bindtext bindtext1"
alias bindtext1 "say text2; alias bindtext bindtext2"
alias bindtext bindtext0

etc...
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.