Upvote Upvoted 14 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
Team Fortress 2 Open Source
posted in Projects
0 Frags +

Directly form Facepunch's thread:
Have you ever felt uncertain about the direction TF2 is heading in? Or perhaps been disappointed that Valve hasn't given this game the attention it deserves? Never fret, your worries have been assuaged - our team has begun work on a community-driven edition of Team Fortress 2!

No, you didn't misinterpret that - we have "acquired" the full source code of the game to modify it as we please. Withhold your enthusiasm for another brief moment - our code is from 2008, before payload even existed. But with our development team and your gameplay, feedback, and enthusiasm, we will be well on our way to producing a version of TF2 that this community can come to love and enjoy!

Installation Instructions:
1. Download the client and the latest patch
2. Once downloaded, extract everything to your "steamapps/sourcemods" directory. You should now have "steamapps/sourcemods/tf2classic"
3. Go to the 'Tools' section in your Steam client
4. Install Source SDK 2013 Base Multiplayer
5. After it's installed, right click it and select Properties, then click the Betas tab and choose "Upcoming".
6. Close the properties and it should begin updating.
7. Once it has finished updating, restart Steam
8. Check your games. You should see "Team Fortress 2 Classic" has appeared on your games library.

Autoupdater program now available, click here!

Steam group
GitHub
Bug report

Directly form [url=http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1445480]Facepunch's thread[/url]:
Have you ever felt uncertain about the direction TF2 is heading in? Or perhaps been disappointed that Valve hasn't given this game the attention it deserves? Never fret, your worries have been assuaged - our team has begun work on a community-driven edition of Team Fortress 2!

No, you didn't misinterpret that - we have "acquired" the full source code of the game to modify it as we please. Withhold your enthusiasm for another brief moment - our code is from 2008, before payload even existed. But with our development team and your gameplay, feedback, and enthusiasm, we will be well on our way to producing a version of TF2 that this community can come to love and enjoy!

[b]Installation Instructions:[/b]
1. Download [url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/i43s2si4c4qpo4i/Team+Fortress+2+Classic.7z]the client[/url] and [url=http://unfgaming.net/tf2cpatches.html]the latest patch[/url]
2. Once downloaded, extract everything to your "steamapps/sourcemods" directory. You should now have "steamapps/sourcemods/tf2classic"
3. Go to the 'Tools' section in your Steam client
4. Install Source SDK 2013 Base Multiplayer
5. After it's installed, right click it and select Properties, then click the Betas tab and choose "Upcoming".
6. Close the properties and it should begin updating.
7. Once it has finished updating, restart Steam
8. Check your games. You should see "Team Fortress 2 Classic" has appeared on your games library.

[b][color=red]Autoupdater program now available, [url=tfmm.cojam.ru/TF2CUpdater.exe]click here[/url]![/color][/b]

[url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2Classic2015]Steam group[/url]
[url=https://github.com/danielmm8888/TF2Classic]GitHub[/url]
[url=https://github.com/danielmm8888/TF2Classic/issues]Bug report[/url]
0 Frags +

What I would be interested in is a dumbed down/easy to run version of tf2 that can still connect to normal servers.

But who am I kidding that's never gonna happen.

This looks interesting aswell but I doubt it will ever pull a lot of comp players.

What I would be interested in is a dumbed down/easy to run version of tf2 that can still connect to normal servers.

But who am I kidding that's never gonna happen.

This looks interesting aswell but I doubt it will ever pull a lot of comp players.
0 Frags +

amazing job, will be nice to have a stock competitive like 2008 and with no stupid unlocks. i m curious to see next updates !

amazing job, will be nice to have a stock competitive like 2008 and with no stupid unlocks. i m curious to see next updates !
4 Frags +

Good luck running this, very laudable intentions even tho it is even a bigger scission from pub TF2.

Good luck running this, very laudable intentions even tho it is even a bigger scission from pub TF2.
0 Frags +

Have they added any competitive cvars?

Have they added any competitive cvars?
16 Frags +

There have been lots of good updates amidst the hat madness. Think of stuff like engine stability, server cvars, gameplay tweaks, blast radius stuff, loadout amounts, animation improvements, performance improvements, exploit fixes, and innumerable other little things that we now take for granted.

I don't feel like going back to the world where rocket explosions were square, crits couldn't be turned off, multicore rendering often crashed the game, scout double jumps looked like shite and you could change interp while you were alive to abuse headshots.

I will be sticking with current TF2 with all of its unfortunate hat madness.

There have been lots of good updates amidst the hat madness. Think of stuff like engine stability, server cvars, gameplay tweaks, blast radius stuff, loadout amounts, animation improvements, performance improvements, exploit fixes, and innumerable other little things that we now take for granted.

I don't feel like going back to the world where rocket explosions were square, crits couldn't be turned off, multicore rendering often crashed the game, scout double jumps looked like shite and you could change interp while you were alive to abuse headshots.

I will be sticking with current TF2 with all of its unfortunate hat madness.
0 Frags +

I can swear I read this a long time ago. Maybe even on this forum. Also there were big discussions about tf2 promod. Some group even went ahead and created their own version of tf2 with rebalanced classes and weapons, but they didn't get much popularity and support.

Eventually all of these ideas were met with a bit of skepticism and conclusion that all that would only create a bigger gap between the general tf2 and comp tf2 populations, which is crucial to avoid to maintain a growing comp community.

I can swear I read this a long time ago. Maybe even on this forum. Also there were big discussions about tf2 promod. Some group even went ahead and created their own version of tf2 with rebalanced classes and weapons, but they didn't get much popularity and support.

Eventually all of these ideas were met with a bit of skepticism and conclusion that all that would only create a bigger gap between the general tf2 and comp tf2 populations, which is crucial to avoid to maintain a growing comp community.
-4 Frags +

Do I hear a TF2 Pr0m0d on the way??

Do I hear a TF2 Pr0m0d on the way??
6 Frags +

The hacker in me wonders how I can lay my hands on that source code, but I wonder how useful it would be after over 7 years of updates.

Where did they even get this old source code anyway? Putting "acquired" in quotation marks seems shady.

The hacker in me wonders how I can lay my hands on that source code, but I wonder how useful it would be after over 7 years of updates.

Where did they even get this old source code anyway? Putting "acquired" in quotation marks seems shady.
4 Frags +
cirloBut with our development team and your gameplay, feedback, and enthusiasm, we will be well on our way to producing a version of TF2 that this community can come to love and enjoy!RoksEventually all of these ideas were met with a bit of skepticism and conclusion that all that would only create a bigger gap between the general tf2 and comp tf2 populations, which is crucial to avoid to maintain a growing comp community.

It's rad that you guys 'acquired' the source code and are looking to make your own version of TF2 for comp - and good luck with that - but having to download a bootleg version of TF2 to play comp, I think, is pretty sketchy and alienating.

[quote=cirlo]But with our development team and your gameplay, feedback, and enthusiasm, we will be well on our way to producing a version of TF2 that this community can come to love and enjoy!
[/quote]
[quote=Roks]
Eventually all of these ideas were met with a bit of skepticism and conclusion that all that would only create a bigger gap between the general tf2 and comp tf2 populations, which is crucial to avoid to maintain a growing comp community.[/quote]

It's rad that you guys 'acquired' the source code and are looking to make your own version of TF2 for comp - and good luck with that - but having to download a bootleg version of TF2 to play comp, I think, is pretty sketchy and alienating.
-2 Frags +

If this ever becomes something good, please make flat textures an option.

If this ever becomes something good, please make flat textures an option.
1 Frags +
komorebiI'm still worried about the implications of valve fucking with 6s inadvertently through their attempts to balance pubs or MVM. I suppose it's better than them not trying to balance weapons at all but if they keep messing with 6s in a manner that seems almost accidental it's hard to imagine a truly positive future, especially given their recent trend of changing long-standing, even "ancient", parts of the game.

regardless of how dated the code is, given time we could make this a real solution for the problem listed above. 6s is a completely different game and it should be treated as such. we know valve (or whoever the two or three asshats are that work on this game now) cant balance weapons anymore. with this code, we can create and mold tf2 around 6s and have a game that no one, not even the developer can fuck with.

6s will never get developer support, so lets move on and start here.

[quote=komorebi]
I'm still worried about the implications of valve fucking with 6s inadvertently through their attempts to balance pubs or MVM. I suppose it's better than them not trying to balance weapons at all but if they keep messing with 6s in a manner that seems almost accidental it's hard to imagine a truly positive future, especially given their recent trend of changing long-standing, even "ancient", parts of the game.[/quote]

regardless of how dated the code is, given time we could make this a real solution for the problem listed above. 6s is a completely different game and it should be treated as such. we know valve (or whoever the two or three asshats are that work on this game now) cant balance weapons anymore. with this code, we can create and mold tf2 around 6s and have a game that no one, not even the developer can fuck with.

6s will never get developer support, so lets move on and start here.
4 Frags +
future6s will never get developer support, so lets move on and start here.

While valve may not target 6s they know it exists and are not actively working against us. Weapon balance is hard and suggesting that we could start from 5 year old source code and develop something even close to what we currently have now is a joke.

If we don't like a weapon we ban it.

Valve has surely put many many man years of development time into TF2 since 2008. Do you really think that development by people outside of valve not familiar with the engine and who don't have valve's internal support network will ever be able to create a comparable platform even if it was purely focused on 6s?

[quote=future]6s will never get developer support, so lets move on and start here. [/quote]

While valve may not target 6s they know it exists and are not actively working against us. Weapon balance is [i]hard[/i] and suggesting that we could start from 5 year old source code and develop something even close to what we currently have now is a joke.

If we don't like a weapon we ban it.

Valve has surely put many many [i][b]man years[/b][/i] of development time into TF2 since 2008. Do you really think that development by people outside of valve not familiar with the engine and who don't have valve's internal support network will ever be able to create a comparable platform even if it was purely focused on 6s?
2 Frags +
-12 Frags +

im gonna go out on a limb and say all of u suck at c++ and that theres no way this version of tf2 will ever run as well as it runs today even with all the hats

feel free to prove me wrong but if ur actually that capable of reverse engineering the game u should have a job somewhere doing it because this was peoples fulltime job for 7 years while it seems to be the whim of a few of u

im gonna go out on a limb and say all of u suck at c++ and that theres no way this version of tf2 will ever run as well as it runs today even with all the hats

feel free to prove me wrong but if ur actually that capable of reverse engineering the game u should have a job somewhere doing it because this was peoples fulltime job for 7 years while it seems to be the whim of a few of u
1 Frags +
thesupremecommanderThe hacker in me wonders how I can lay my hands on that source code, but I wonder how useful it would be after over 7 years of updates.

Native status spec baby!

[quote=thesupremecommander]The hacker in me wonders how I can lay my hands on that source code, but I wonder how useful it would be after over 7 years of updates.

Where did they even get this old source code anyway? Putting "acquired" in quotation marks seems shady.[/quote]
Native status spec baby!
1 Frags +
-6 Frags +

proving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i think

also wow oracle mexico what a big deal !!!

getting upset at what i said is fine, but thinking that this project is worth it for any reason past the novelty of what u might learn is pretty silly

proving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i think

also wow oracle mexico what a big deal !!!

getting upset at what i said is fine, but thinking that this project is worth it for any reason past the novelty of what u might learn is pretty silly
3 Frags +
mfeel free to prove me wrong but if ur actually that capable of reverse engineering the game u should have a job somewhere doing it because this was peoples fulltime job for 7 years while it seems to be the whim of a few of u

If I understand this correctly, the point is that they didn't reverse engineer the game. They found a dump of stolen source code and are modifying it.

[quote=m]feel free to prove me wrong but if ur actually that capable of reverse engineering the game u should have a job somewhere doing it because this was peoples fulltime job for 7 years while it seems to be the whim of a few of u[/quote]

If I understand this correctly, the point is that they didn't reverse engineer the game. They found a dump of stolen source code and are modifying it.
1 Frags +
mproving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i think

It's available for you to download you know.

[quote=m]proving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i think[/quote]
It's available for you to download you know.
1 Frags +
1 Frags +
404UserNotFoundTechDudeI don't feel like going back to the world where rocket explosions were square, crits couldn't be turned off, multicore rendering often crashed the game, scout double jumps looked like shite and you could change interp while you were alive to abuse headshots.
But we already can turn off crits, multicore rendering doesn't crash the game considering we're on the same engine as live TF2, scout double jumps can be fixed by just using the live tf2 animations (which nobody wants right now).

All the other exploit-related stuff, we're working on. We have several coders (including the former Oracle Mexico and ex-Microsoft coder, and the original coder/project leader) who can easily patch things.

EDIT: Forgot, we're also doing stuff Valve has never done, and fixing stuff Valve has never fixed. One of the things I'm excited about is the inclusion of player models with fixed hitboxes that aren't a hundred friggin' feet wide.

Can you fix invisible players in it? :o

[quote=404UserNotFound][quote=TechDude]I don't feel like going back to the world where rocket explosions were square, crits couldn't be turned off, multicore rendering often crashed the game, scout double jumps looked like shite and you could change interp while you were alive to abuse headshots.[/quote]

But we already can turn off crits, multicore rendering doesn't crash the game considering we're on the same engine as live TF2, scout double jumps can be fixed by just using the live tf2 animations (which nobody wants right now).

All the other exploit-related stuff, we're working on. We have several coders (including the former Oracle Mexico and ex-Microsoft coder, and the original coder/project leader) who can easily patch things.

EDIT: Forgot, we're also doing stuff Valve has never done, and fixing stuff Valve has never fixed. One of the things I'm excited about is the inclusion of player models with fixed hitboxes that aren't a hundred friggin' feet wide.[/quote]

Can you fix invisible players in it? :o
4 Frags +
404UserNotFound we've also added new weapons such as the Nailgun and SMG for the Scout, the Lead Pipe for the Heavy, Tranquilizer Gun for the Spy, a "trailer" Rocket Launcher (with rocket sticking out the front and increase rocket jump height) for the Soldier, and a custom 1-shot grenade launcher for the Demoman.

Can you not, please?

[quote=404UserNotFound] we've also added new weapons such as the Nailgun and SMG for the Scout, the Lead Pipe for the Heavy, Tranquilizer Gun for the Spy, a "trailer" Rocket Launcher (with rocket sticking out the front and increase rocket jump height) for the Soldier, and a custom 1-shot grenade launcher for the Demoman.[/quote]
Can you not, please?
-1 Frags +
2 Frags +

Same source engine as modern TF2? How does that work?

This could be simply be my ignorance of how these games are built, but if you can run beta code on top of the current source engine framework that would mean slightly less work.

Here's an example patch from 2009: http://store.steampowered.com/news/2825/
-Fixed explosive radius detection using an axially aligned box instead of a sphere
--Compensated by increasing the radius of grenades, pipes, and rockets to 50% of what they lost at the corners of the OBB
--Grenades/Pipes radius change: 132->159
--Rocket radius change: 121->146

This was a huge change to the mechanics of explosions so that they were more consistent. I would expect this to be part of the TF2 codebase rather than the source engine, does your version have this update?

Here's a complete list of patches if people want to start digging and asking questions: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Patches

Same source engine as modern TF2? How does that work?

This could be simply be my ignorance of how these games are built, but if you can run beta code on top of the current source engine framework that would mean slightly less work.

Here's an example patch from 2009: http://store.steampowered.com/news/2825/
-Fixed explosive radius detection using an axially aligned box instead of a sphere
--Compensated by increasing the radius of grenades, pipes, and rockets to 50% of what they lost at the corners of the OBB
--Grenades/Pipes radius change: 132->159
--Rocket radius change: 121->146

This was a huge change to the mechanics of explosions so that they were more consistent. I would expect this to be part of the TF2 codebase rather than the source engine, does your version have this update?

Here's a complete list of patches if people want to start digging and asking questions: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Patches
-1 Frags +
10 Frags +
JarateKingmproving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i thinkIt's available for you to download you know.

Mason doesn't know any more than anybody else he just likes to spew bull shit for his own amusement. Please ignore him.

[quote=JarateKing][quote=m]proving me wrong includes the project being functional and running well i think[/quote]
It's available for you to download you know.[/quote]
Mason doesn't know any more than anybody else he just likes to spew bull shit for his own amusement. Please ignore him.
3 Frags +

surprised that more people haven't pointed out how absurd this project is

surprised that more people haven't pointed out how absurd this project is
0 Frags +
TechDudeThis was a huge change to the mechanics of explosions so that they were more consistent. I would expect this to be part of the TF2 codebase rather than the source engine, does your version have this update?

This is huge, in addition to all the little things we've had over the years.

I respect the ambition, but there's going to be so much work before it's in a state where I'd prefer it to what we have. I wish you guys the best.

[quote=TechDude]This was a huge change to the mechanics of explosions so that they were more consistent. I would expect this to be part of the TF2 codebase rather than the source engine, does your version have this update?[/quote]
This is huge, in addition to all the little things we've had over the years.

I respect the ambition, but there's going to be [i]so much work[/i] before it's in a state where I'd prefer it to what we have. I wish you guys the best.
0 Frags +
1 2
This thread has been locked.