Upvote Upvoted 4 Downvote Downvoted
Large Lag Spikes
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Alright, I'm sorta new to TF2. By sorta I mean I knew everything about the game before playing it because my old computer was convinced Steam was a virus. So I recently got the game about two weeks ago and have been practicing with bots and I was gonna keep practicing until I could win a match on hard over and over, and that day has come.

So I get on a multiplayer and spectate a little until I realize the major lag thats happening on my end. It isn't just normal lag, the game completely freezes and unfreezes over and over. I tried to play a game but I keep getting lag-back and killed because of it. I shut off everything that was taking up space on my internet which was only my browser and Skype but the lag barely even lessened.

I do admit we have weird internet at my house but it's never caused lag before. I play games that take up even more space then TF2 does with zero lag, so I'm stumped.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2m7t0rk.png

Thats as close as I could get to when I was having lag-back

Any suggestions?

Alright, I'm sorta new to TF2. By sorta I mean I knew everything about the game before playing it because my old computer was convinced Steam was a virus. So I recently got the game about two weeks ago and have been practicing with bots and I was gonna keep practicing until I could win a match on hard over and over, and that day has come.

So I get on a multiplayer and spectate a little until I realize the major lag thats happening on my end. It isn't just normal lag, the game completely freezes and unfreezes over and over. I tried to play a game but I keep getting lag-back and killed because of it. I shut off everything that was taking up space on my internet which was only my browser and Skype but the lag barely even lessened.

I do admit we have weird internet at my house but it's [i]never[/i] caused lag before. I play games that take up even more space then TF2 does with zero lag, so I'm stumped.
[img]http://i62.tinypic.com/2m7t0rk.png[/img] Thats as close as I could get to when I was having lag-back

Any suggestions?
1 Frags +

You should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.

You should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.
-1 Frags +
MasterKuniYou should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.

I would but as said it just freezes, so I dont think it'd look like lag. Just regular screenshots.

[quote=MasterKuni]You should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.[/quote]
I would but as said it just freezes, so I dont think it'd look like lag. Just regular screenshots.
2 Frags +

I think he means like screenshot the netgraph when the lag happens.

I think he means like screenshot the netgraph when the lag happens.
0 Frags +

Are you sure your lag is internet related and not frame rate related? I know when I started playing I had trouble distinguishing between the two.

Are you sure your lag is internet related and not frame rate related? I know when I started playing I had trouble distinguishing between the two.
0 Frags +
tetrominoI think he means like screenshot the netgraph when the lag happens.

...I need to read a bit slower...now I feel stupid XD I got one though I hope its close enough to the lag-back to tell ono -preparestoeditoriginalthread-

[quote=tetromino]I think he means like screenshot the netgraph when the lag happens.[/quote]
...I need to read a bit slower...now I feel stupid XD I got one though I hope its close enough to the lag-back to tell ono -preparestoeditoriginalthread-
0 Frags +
Knuckles_Are you sure your lag is internet related and not frame rate related? I know when I started playing I had trouble distinguishing between the two.

Now that you mention it o; I'm not sure really..

[quote=Knuckles_]Are you sure your lag is internet related and not frame rate related? I know when I started playing I had trouble distinguishing between the two.[/quote] Now that you mention it o; I'm not sure really..
0 Frags +
MasterKuniYou should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.

Alright, I put one up.

[quote=MasterKuni]You should enter net_graph 3 in the developer console and post screenshots of what your screen looks like when the lag occurs.[/quote]
Alright, I put one up.
0 Frags +

wired or wireless internet?
and, going from the picture: what was your ping before it shot up to 280?

wired or wireless internet?
-1 Frags +
Bucakewired or wireless internet?

We have wireless and I'm not sure...I'll join a multiplayer to get an idea of what it might have been when I first joined the game but thats about all I can do. Well my ping is all over the place it looks like. Its gone from the 200's to the 600's and everything inbetween. Oh wait o3o saw a 107 and a 90 but just for a second.

[quote=Bucake]wired or wireless internet?
and, going from the picture: what was your ping before it shot up to 280?[/quote]
We have wireless and I'm not sure...I'll join a multiplayer to get an idea of what it might have been when I first joined the game but thats about all I can do. Well my ping is all over the place it looks like. Its gone from the 200's to the 600's and everything inbetween. Oh wait o3o saw a 107 and a 90 but just for a second.
0 Frags +

Do you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.

Do you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.
-1 Frags +
nopeDo you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.

Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps

[quote=nope]Do you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.[/quote]
Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps
2 Frags +
DemonousNightnopeDo you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps

Those are pretty close to the speeds I get. The problem could be that you're connected wireless. Or your joining servers that are too far away from you.

[quote=DemonousNight][quote=nope]Do you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.[/quote]
Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps[/quote]

Those are pretty close to the speeds I get. The problem could be that you're connected wireless. Or your joining servers that are too far away from you.
-1 Frags +
deszaDemonousNightnopeDo you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps

Alright how do I join servers closer to me, or know how close they are to me?

[quote=desza][quote=DemonousNight][quote=nope]Do you play any other multiplayer games? If so, what do you ping normally to them? It might just be your internet. Try www.speedtest.net and show us your results.[/quote]
Mhh not sure how to check ping on my other games but I do play many other multiplayer games that have zero lag when I play. Alright the results were: Ping: 12 ms Download Speed: 22.38 mbps Upload Speed: 12.11 mbps[/quote]

Those are pretty close to the speeds I get. The problem could be that you're connected wireless. Or your joining servers that are too far away from you.[/quote]

Alright how do I join servers closer to me, or know how close they are to me?
0 Frags +

there's the Latency drop-down selector. try the <50 latency option to see how many servers shows up. if very few servers pop up, then just increase the latency until enough servers show up.

http://i.imgur.com/NlRmT5d.png

i also suggest making an autoexec.cfg with some net settings. your connection allows better cmdrate rate / update rate / lerp than you currently have. this won't fix lag spikes, but will still strengthen the connection you have with the server.

and, as desza mentioned, wireless can cause issues. these issues can become worse the further away you are from the source and what's between you and the source.

there's the Latency drop-down selector. try the <50 latency option to see how many servers shows up. if very few servers pop up, then just increase the latency until enough servers show up.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/NlRmT5d.png[/img]

i also suggest making an autoexec.cfg with some net settings. your connection allows better cmdrate rate / update rate / lerp than you currently have. this won't fix lag spikes, but will still strengthen the connection you have with the server.

and, as desza mentioned, wireless can cause issues. these issues can become worse the further away you are from the source and what's between you and the source.
1 Frags +
Bucakethere's a box you can check. try the <50 or <100 latency check-box to see how much shows up. if very few servers pop up, then just keep going up.

i also suggest making an autoexec.cfg with some net settings. your connection allows better cmdrate rate / update rate / lerp

Can I have help with the CFG file? While playing on a latency of <50 I'm still having issues. Its still freezing. Though I cant do much for the wireless internet which sucks but is true. Though my ping ingame has gone down considerably after joining one that is <50. Its more in the 90-100-170 ranges.

[quote=Bucake]there's a box you can check. try the <50 or <100 latency check-box to see how much shows up. if very few servers pop up, then just keep going up.

i also suggest making an autoexec.cfg with some net settings. your connection allows better cmdrate rate / update rate / lerp[/quote]
Can I have help with the CFG file? While playing on a latency of <50 I'm still having issues. Its still freezing. Though I cant do much for the wireless internet which sucks but is true. Though my ping ingame has gone down considerably after joining one that is <50. Its more in the 90-100-170 ranges.
0 Frags +

navigate to: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\cfg\cfg\
(it's unlikely you have \cfg\cfg\, so you'll have to create those 2 folders yourself)
in there, create a text file, and call it autoexec.cfg (it will probably ask if you want to change the extension, just click yes).
in there, put this:

cl_interp_all 0
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime .01
cl_updaterate 67
rate 60000

don't get your hopes, though. because i don't think that these commands will fix your ping-fluctuations..
but they should be a benefit, nonetheless.

navigate to: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\cfg\cfg\
(it's unlikely you have \cfg\cfg\, so you'll have to create those 2 folders yourself)
in there, create a text file, and call it autoexec.cfg (it will probably ask if you want to change the extension, just click yes).
in there, put this:
[code]cl_interp_all 0
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime .01
cl_updaterate 67
rate 60000[/code]

don't get your hopes, though. because i don't think that these commands will fix your ping-fluctuations..
but they should be a benefit, nonetheless.
0 Frags +
Bucakenavigate to: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\cfg\cfg\
in there, put this:
cl_interp_all 0
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime .01
cl_updaterate 67
rate 60000

Alright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document

[quote=Bucake]navigate to: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\cfg\cfg\
in there, put this:
[code]cl_interp_all 0
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime .01
cl_updaterate 67
rate 60000[/code][/quote]

Alright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document
2 Frags +
DemonousNightAlright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document

click on start, then in that small screen, type "folder options". this should make it pop up in the list. click on it.
go to the View tab, and look for "Hide extensions for known file types" in that list. make sure it is unchecked. now click ok.
i believe this should fix it, and now you should be able to rename the file to autoexec.cfg (it's probably called autoexec.cfg.txt right now)

[quote=DemonousNight]Alright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document[/quote]

click on start, then in that small screen, type "folder options". this should make it pop up in the list. click on it.
go to the View tab, and look for "Hide extensions for known file types" in that list. make sure it is [b]unchecked[/b]. now click ok.
i believe this should fix it, and now you should be able to rename the file to autoexec.cfg (it's probably called autoexec.cfg.txt right now)
1 Frags +
BucakeDemonousNightAlright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document
go to the View tab, and look for "Hide extensions for known file types" in that list. make sure it is unchecked. now click ok.
i believe this should fix it. now you should be able to rename the file to autoexec.cfg (it's probably called autoexec.cfg.txt right now)

Alright, thank you.

[quote=Bucake][quote=DemonousNight]Alright I did that, though I put .cfg the file type didnt change from Text Document[/quote]

go to the View tab, and look for "Hide extensions for known file types" in that list. make sure it is [b]unchecked[/b]. now click ok.
i believe this should fix it. now you should be able to rename the file to autoexec.cfg (it's probably called autoexec.cfg.txt right now)[/quote]
Alright, thank you.
0 Frags +

I have lag spikes that sound almost exactly like that every time i repartition my computer. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php Using the TCPOptimizer from speedguide normally stops it. That could be because i have verizon though. Still never hurts to try it.

I have lag spikes that sound almost exactly like that every time i repartition my computer. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php Using the TCPOptimizer from speedguide normally stops it. That could be because i have verizon though. Still never hurts to try it.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.