Upvote Upvoted 20 Downvote Downvoted
ESEA Season 18 Invite Weekly: The Forgotten Volume
posted in News
Tery_
February 22, 2015

You Are My Sunshine

As New England continues to freeze over, and snow, school, and life bury me further, I can at least look forward to catching some figurative rays in this week's map: cp_sunshine. First introduced in Season 16, Sunshine is a creation by Phi that recently(?) went through a revamp, especially on last. However, unlike Sunshine's predecessor's (Metalworks and Process) the map feels like it hasn't been properly "broken in" to the rotation, so to speak.

Now I realize it's been a while since I've gotten an article out. So we're going to hopefully make up for lost time in due time, but first let us revisit last week and Badlands. And who better to tell us about the matches than our new friend, Alkaline! He's responsible for last week's "unofficial update" and will be making his debut as my partner in crime.

The Mad Week Prior

By Alkaline

• A New Yomie: 0, Froyotech: 5 // [Stats]

In this matchup between the old and the new, experience proved to be too valuable. Although the Yomies put up a valiant fight, with Rekuso in particular top damaging for his team as Roamer with an impressive 280 DPM, the combined fragging power of duwatna, lansky, and blaze (all over 300 DPM) just proved too strong, and 4G took the match cleanly. In case anyone is wondering, clockwork was playing Medic and shade was playing Scout for this match, hence the peculiar stats.

• Street Hoops eSports: 4, Mad Men: 5 // [Stats][VOD]

This match gave us a preview of what we’re going to get to see at LAN. Street Hoops (20b) started off strong with a 3-2 first half, but in retrospect it seems clear that something was already a bit wrong with their play: both of Mad Men’s rounds were from backcaps. The second half was close at first, with a drawn-out round which Mad Men picked up. From there the action became noticeably faster paced, but 20b struck back and picked up a quick round to take a 4-3 lead with 13 minutes left…

And then Street Hoops wiped on mid, lost the round, wiped again, and lost the next round. Two quick rounds for Mad Men, and the final score was a closely fought 5-4. This has to be a very disappointing loss for Street Hoops, as they both outdamaged and outfragged Mad Men by a solid margin. I think that if 20b watch out for backcaps, they should be able to take similar games in the future. Either way, it was a great game, and I’m really looking forward to seeing these two teams play on LAN.

As far as the LAN race goes, this solidified Mad Men as a LAN team without a doubt, especially in conjunction with their result the next evening. Street Hoops will want to avoid getting upset by Cisco or Daddies, but with a 7-3 record it would still be very surprising (and almost impossible) to see them not make LAN.

• eLevate TF2: 4, Nice Nice Nice: 2 // [Stats][VOD]

eLevate took this win because they are the better team, plain and simple. Although squid and xalox went big for Nice Nice Nice, Boink and Freestate were dying a lot and eLevate were able to keep a consistent edge in team fights. However, the match was incredibly entertaining to watch, especially because towards the end Mangachu was pretty much offclassing full-time, and with quite a bit of success. Nice Nice Nice actually did find some success in the second half mixing it up (that’s when they took their two rounds), although that may be because alfa was playing for the wrong team…

As far as the LAN race, this was Nice Nice Nice’s last chance to keep their fate in their own hands, so to speak. Although it is still theoretically possible that they make LAN, they would need some huge help from other teams to do so. For eLevate, this was an important win which re-solidified them in the top 4.

• Mad Men: 5, eLevate TF2: 3 // [Stats][VOD]

This one really surprised me: Mad Men took a decisive win in this match, and unlike vs. 20b, they outdamaged and outfragged their opponents, too. The first half was a close 3-2 for eLevate, but they crumbled in the second half as Mad Men took three rounds in row. Bdonski put out big damage as usual and kbk lived up to his name, getting 6 frags of his own, but Decimate was the only eLevate player to manage an even K/D ratio. Meanwhile on Mad Men, indust was constantly surfing his way to safety and giving big heals to bl4nk as usual. However, bl4nk was making much better use of his heals than vs. 20b the night before. The result? A resounding 383 DPM with 26 frags, the first and second highest in the server, respectively.

In my opinion, eLevate is being hurt by their lack of a well-defined pocket and roamer. Although they’ve shown that it can function, and I do love seeing a top team trying new ideas and keeping their opponents guessing (“Did I just kill their Roamer or their Pocket?”), I don’t think it’s helping them overall. In any case, it’s likely they’ll have sorted things out by LAN. With that in mind, if you’re a die-hard eLevate fan, I wouldn’t be too worried.

Speaking of LAN, eLevate is still doing fine. Their record is 7-4, and because their schedule is pretty easy from here on out they should be just fine for LAN. For Mad Men, however, this was the match which really locked them in not only as a LAN team, but as a top contender. They have now beaten last season’s 2nd place team twice, and although it’s hard to know who will be playing 4G in the LAN finals, right now Mad Men are as good a guess as any.

The Outset of Week 7

The Yomies have been having a pretty decent debut Invite season. They may not have flashy wins under their belt, but they have been putting on strong showings and taking a few rounds off the top / LAN teams. However, the last time the Yomies took on eLevate they were unable to grab a round. Given that Sunshine is such an anomaly, however, I'd expect the Yomies to take a round or two, but not before eLevate triumphs and inches ever closer to their LAN seed. Look out for more Sniper plays out of Scizor (pronounced like the Pokemon) and more offclass shenanigans in general out of eLevate.

Prediction: 5-1, eLevate TF2

Street Hoops are looking to lock up their LAN position this week, taking on Ding Dong Daddy and Nice Nice Nice. This should arguably be the easier of the matches, but as it is Sunshine, anything goes. In addition, the nailbiter 3-2 match between Mad Men and Ding Dong Daddy showed that the memestars on DDD are not to be underestimated. Still, I would classify DDD as outclassed in every position, and outside of some major beef from 20b or crazy backcap shenanigans like some teams on Badlands, Street Hoops should find themselves with an 8th win and another step closer to being guaranteed LAN, if that wasn't already.

Prediction: 5-1, Street Hoops eSports

Out of the frying pan and into the fire for DDD, as eLevate comes knocking on their door after Street Hoops (but scheduling might turn this around). While at this point in time I think that eLv is weaker than 20b, I struggle to see a match where the Daddies can pull an upset here on Sunshine. The Scout combo of Decimate and Shrugger have been putting up monstrous numbers this season and I don't think that train will stop to even the best memers around. However, showstopper and Sneaky have a chance to cause some destructive Soldier bombs while eLevate is busy running around with a Spy or Sniper or Pyro. The last showing had DDD falling 1-5 to eLevate on Process week, and I would expect more or less the same in this rematch. I just don't see eLevate losing more than a round.

Prediction: 5-1, eLevate TF2

This is the more difficult of Street Hoops' Sunshine matches. Nice Nice Nice came off a 2-4 loss against eLevate on Badlands, and like Ding Dong Daddy have an extremely tough Sunshine week (more on the 2nd match later). Similarly to 20b vs. DDD, I think 20b has Nice Nice Nice outmanned at all their positions and the fragging power will bully them off the map. While they (Nice Nice Nice) have also put up a valiant effort this season, if they lose here against 20b they will have to contest for 5th against DDD on Granary week. Since every prediction so far has been a 5-1, I'm going to be nice to Nice Nice Nice and give them another round.

Prediction: 5-2, Street Hoops eSports

Match of the Week

Though this match is MOTW mainly due to process of elimination, it should still be a good showing all the same. The previous encounter was on Metalworks where Mad Men won 5-3 after 50 minutes. I don't think this match will take quite as long because Mad Men have gotten a lot better with some important wins under their belt whereas Nice Nice Nice has stabilized towards the middle of the pack (can it still be called a middle when the bottom 2 teams have died?).

This is an encounter where the disparity in flank classes will really be apparent. While squid and Freestate have been having a good season (squid for sure), their performances pale in comparison to Mike and seymour, who are simply doing more for their team. Where this is really lopsided, however, is in the Roamer matchup. Despite my praise and hype for Boink this season, he has struggled to play well, bottom damaging for his team and is 2nd last in all of Invite for frags. Harbleu, on the other hand, has been the best Roamer in Invite this season. He's doing a lot with each bomb, whether it's forcing an ubercharge out of enemy Medics or just drawing 2 people back looking for him. On a map like Sunshine with such wide exposed flanks surrounding the midpoint, the trio of Mike / seymour / harbleu will likely wreak havoc and while xalox and Mangachu should keep the Mad Men combo on their toes, the extremely destructive Mud flank will probably break this game apart.

Prediction: 5-2, Mad Men Players to Watch: harbleu, seymour, indust, squid, xalox, Mangachu

Here's what my partner had to say about this matchup.

"In my unofficial update last week I hyped this match up as Nice Nice Nice’s must-win to make LAN. It still is, but for a different reason. If Daddies manage an upset versus eLevate in conjunction with a Nice Nice Nice win here, then Nice Nice Nice could still have a theoretical chance, however small, of making LAN over eLevate.

However, Mad Men are hands down the better team. They are in clear 2nd place in Invite, with a superb 9-2 record. They've already handily beaten their last season record of 7-9, and last week they surprised everyone by beating both Street Hoops and eLevate. Nice Nice Nice, on the other hand, has had a decent season but has failed to really break through to the upper echelon of Invite: they’ve never beaten anyone higher than them and they haven’t lost to anyone lower.

However, maybe in the midst of all the LAN updates and power rankings we've missed the greater point: as spectators, we want to watch some enjoyable and entertaining TF2! And from that viewpoint, I think this match has the potential to be one of the best this season. I fully expect xalox get some crazy ham kills and Mangachu to change class after every life, all while Squid comes up with amazing 4K’s left and right. On Mad Men, harbleu, YouMustMike, and seymour will show us why they're one of the scariest flanks in Invite. So, regardless of whether this match really effects who’s going to Dallas and who isn't, I am very much looking forward to this Match of the Week!

Prediction: Mad Men 5, Nice Nice Nice 2" - Alkaline

Trivia Corner

• Clockwork's DPM as Medic in Froyotech's win over A New Yomie was higher than any of shade's performances thus far this season. If shade is ever out on a match night, I think b4nny knows who to call.

• Speaking of Medic, kbk has amassed 24 frags already. With 3 matches left in the season (unfortunately 2 are forfeits), he is on pace to be the Medic with the most frags in Invite over the past couple of seasons. For perspective, cozen had 29 frags S17 but spent a match playing not-Medic (-13), and same with TheFragile (32-12) in S16.

• Outside of some crazy play / upsets out of Ding Dong Daddy and Nice Nice Nice, LAN has pretty much been decided. Street Hoops and eLevate will return for another appearance, which means we have seen the same 3 teams / rosters over the past 3 seasons.

Editor's Note

As stated earlier, time has not been a high resource for me lately, which is why I have recruited big alkaline to help me out with these writings. Hopefully I can free up some more time to at least close out the season and LAN Preview, but only time will tell, and I'll try my best.

4 Frags +

Nice write up :) . Kbk is god

Nice write up :) . Kbk is god
4 Frags +

I'm still pretty inexperienced at this, so if anyone has any constructive tips/feedback on my writing or analysis, let me know!

I'm still pretty inexperienced at this, so if anyone has any constructive tips/feedback on my writing or analysis, let me know!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.